MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (a) sponsored by Jimmy Hill

412 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (a) sponsored by Jimmy Hill

by Hendo » 29 Oct 2020 08:27

Old Man Andrews
Zip
Old Man Andrews Got a feeling they might give it to Gary Rowett if Millwall win at the weekend.

I’d be surprised. We have 13 from 5. They have 10 from 5 this month.

Oh I know our record is better I just can't see the EFL giving it to Paunovic two months on the spin. Millwall have shot up the league and got a couple of very good results so that might influence the judging panel (some work experience kid).

Tend to agree with OMA in that they'll probably give it to GR after shooting up the league, especially if they win at the weekend as well. VP will 100% be nominated again though, which will be nice to see.

If Meite scores one or two on Friday, he must be in with a shout of player of the month?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Oct 2020 08:28

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Zip

Oh I know our record is better I just can't see the EFL giving it to Paunovic two months on the spin. Millwall have shot up the league and got a couple of very good results so that might influence the judging panel (some work experience kid).

Tend to agree with OMA in that they'll probably give it to GR after shooting up the league, especially if they win at the weekend as well. VP will 100% be nominated again though, which will be nice to see.

If Meite scores one or two on Friday, he must be in with a shout of player of the month?

Olise has to be in with a shout, as does Joao. A lot will depend on the Coventry game imo. If we smash them I think it pretty much a guarantee a Reading player gets the player of the month award.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Oct 2020 08:35

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Oh I know our record is better I just can't see the EFL giving it to Paunovic two months on the spin. Millwall have shot up the league and got a couple of very good results so that might influence the judging panel (some work experience kid).

Olise has to be in with a shout, as does Joao. A lot will depend on the Coventry game imo. If we smash them I think it pretty much a guarantee a Reading player gets the player of the month award.

I think Olise is slipping a bit under the radar for a player of the month award. We all know his talent, but I don't think he is quite punching in the assists/goals to get into the conversation. Joao could quite possibly get into that conversation, though.

I agree with the performance on Friday, a comfortable 3-0 away win (or similar), with our best players doing the business would probably guarantee an award for someone.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Oct 2020 08:39

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Zip

Millwall were 6th at end September. So they haven’t been shooting up the League. If we win tomorrow night I would be very surprised if Pauno doesn’t win the manager of the month.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Oct 2020 08:51

What is the record for successive manager of the month?

Asking for a friend

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Oct 2020 09:33

Snowball What is the record for successive manager of the month?

Asking for a friend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_ ... _the_Month
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFL_Champ ... _the_Month

The first link is partially incomplete but it happens every now and then, Warnock has won it the most and has won in consecutive months on 3 occasions, Coppell and McDermott are the only Reading managers to win on 2 consecutive months.

No one has won it 3 months in a row, we would have to be doing scarily well for Pauno to pull that off but of course we have our last game of the month on Friday before we can even think about 2 months in a row.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Oct 2020 09:47

To summarise the above

Manager of the month

Since inception in 2004 Reading managers have won just 9 Division 2/Championship manager of the month awards:

Sep 2020: Veljko Paunovic
    Jan 2017: Jaap Stam
    Mar 2012: Brian McDermott
    Feb 2012: Brian McDermott
    Apr 2011: Brian McDermott
    Mar 2010: Brian McDermott
    Dec 2008: Steve Coppell
    Nov 2005: Steve Coppell
    Oct 2005: Steve Coppell

Looking at the awards, I can’t see any managers winning it more than 2 months in a row, best run I can see is Chris Hughton winning it 3 months out of 4 in 2009. Therefore would suggest that they don’t like awarding it to the same managers/clubs however dominant that manager/club might be, eg December 2005, Reading took 16 points out of 18 yet the award went to Nigel Worthington as Norwich took 15 points from 18 :lol:

Neil Warnock has won it most often (10 awards) followed by Chris Hughton (9 awards). Club wise, the award has gone to Cardiff the most (10 occcasions) then little old Reading (9 occasions).

In addition to the above the Premier League manager of the month has been won by Steve Coppell in September and November 2005 and by Brian McDermott in January 2013.

Player of the month

The Division 2/Championship player of the month has been won by Reading players on 11 occasions

Apr 2017: Yann Kermorgant
    Jan 2014: Adam le Fondre
    Feb 2012: Adam Federici
    Dec 2011: Alex Pearce
    Mar 2011: Ian Harte
    Mar 2010: Gylfi Sigurdsson
    Dec 2008: Stephen Hunt
    Sep 2008: Kevin Doyle
    Dec 2005: David Kitson
    Oct 2005: Ibrahima Sonko
    Sep 2004: Steve Sidwell

The above is also the current record as no other club has received the award more times (the next best is Cardiff with 7 awards). Therefore I think we need a new chant.

In addition to the above Adam le Fondre won the Premier League player of the month in January 2013. He is the only Reading player to have received this award.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Oct 2020 10:20

Thanks, guys

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 29 Oct 2020 12:57

Simmops We will batter the hell out of them back to Manchester or wherever Coventry is on the map

Bits obvs, but won't they be Sent to Coventry

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Oct 2020 13:05

Millwall aren't shooting up the league, otherwise they'll be in 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Oct 2020 01:39

If we beat Coventry it will be the best record after 9 games since the League was rebranded as the Championship. Current record is 8-0-1 by Sheffield United in 05/06.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2020 08:05

tidus_mi2 If we beat Coventry it will be the best record after 9 games since the League was rebranded as the Championship. Current record is 8-0-1 by Sheffield United in 05/06.

Given we finished above them, that might be a cautionary tale. Except they got enough points to win the league most years and still got automatic.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Oct 2020 08:29

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2 If we beat Coventry it will be the best record after 9 games since the League was rebranded as the Championship. Current record is 8-0-1 by Sheffield United in 05/06.

Given we finished above them, that might be a cautionary tale. Except they got enough points to win the league most years and still got automatic.

This is the key for me, it was only because we had a freak of a team, they didn't win it :lol:

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 30 Oct 2020 18:14

Quite a few Coventry fans seem more interested in the players doing their very best to make it difficult for us rather than aim for a victory in itself, I’d imagine it’s very much going to be how their players feel too. Not going to be an easy game whatsoever.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 30 Oct 2020 18:14

Excited

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Oct 2020 18:17

There will be 1 minutes silence before kick off for remembrance day and the victims of the Coventry blitz.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 30 Oct 2020 18:45

Aluko in place of Meite

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Oct 2020 18:45

Really attacking bench there...
Last edited by Sutekh on 30 Oct 2020 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2020 18:46

Look very skinny on the bench

Actually got loads our injured at the moment

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Oct 2020 18:52

All sides are going to have injuries atm - this is a stupid run of games, and it's even worse after the next international break.

Should have scrapped the worthless league cup - missed out on 4 fixture slots in Sept and are paying the price now.

Also think championship sides should have the option of playing (if they wish) during the international break - which is a waste of time too this season.

412 posts