What has changed so much from last season?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: What has changed so much from last season?

by URZZZZ » 28 Oct 2020 12:18

Hound I think certainly Joao he probably had a fair bit to do with - so will credit that. Not sure on the other two, think Virginia was more likely his doing

Think Rafael could be, sort of signing you’d expect from Gomes

You could argue that we only signed Rafael because Virginia was so bad (as most predicted) but then you could also say if Meyler had been the success we all expected; then Rinomhota would never have developed here

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 12:37

URZZZZ
Hound I think certainly Joao he probably had a fair bit to do with - so will credit that. Not sure on the other two, think Virginia was more likely his doing

You could argue that we only signed Rafael because Virginia was so bad (as most predicted) but then you could also say if Meyler had been the success we all expected; then Rinomhota would never have developed here

God, why mention that name. One of my most disliked players to have played for us. I think I finally lost it with him after he said every time he gets on the pitch he "gives it his all", and yet I've seen him trotting around at walking pace instead of sprinting back to defend. Useless. You want a player who gives it his all every single time I've seen him? Rinomhotta.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Oct 2020 12:46

CountryRoyal
URZZZZ

God, why mention that name. One of my most disliked players to have played for us. I think I finally lost it with him after he said every time he gets on the pitch he "gives it his all", and yet I've seen him trotting around at walking pace instead of sprinting back to defend. Useless. You want a player who gives it his all every single time I've seen him? Rinomhotta.

Wasn't sure if you were talking about Virginia or Meyler from your first sentence :lol:

Certainly a contender for being in our worst XI in the last 20 or so years

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 12:49

URZZZZ
CountryRoyal
URZZZZ

Wasn't sure if you were talking about Virginia or Meyler from your first sentence :lol:

Certainly a contender for being in our worst XI in the last 20 or so years

:lol:
Tbf to Virginia, he was incomprehensibly awful, but I don't remember him being outspoken telling everyone he wasn't. He also looked like he gave a shit, it's just not his fault he looked like we didn't have any keepers so had to use an outfield player there.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 28 Oct 2020 12:51

We had a handful of games last season where we were unplayable against very good opposition. I think some of the disruption prevented us from getting momentum, but I think we had at least a ‘decent’ squad all along.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 28 Oct 2020 13:35

Lot of good sensible points I’d agree with, esp Joao fir, playing Laurenomhota rather than Swift at base of midfield, keeping. a settled team.

But, and it’s not a nice thing to say, the absence of Gunter, McCLeary and Obita who all have seen too many bad times here, plus Blackett and Loader moving on, may have lightened dressing room spirits.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Oct 2020 13:43

I wonder if Pauno could have got the best out of Loader? We'll never find out but it is curious. I'll also forgive Virginia for being shit, he was a 19 year old playing professional football for the first time and was just an overall shit signing by Gomes. He could still be a great goalkeeper if his brief spell hasn't severely knocked his confidence.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2020 13:57

genome Still not been behind in a [league] game this season. It's going to be interesting to see how we play once that happens, and what Pauno does

1 down, probably nothing changes. Play the same and we're likely to tuck away 1 or 2 goals and still get points.

2 down and it gets interesting, but that hopefully won't happen much and you wouldn't expect to get much out of many games where you go 2 down anyway.

3 down and it's unlikely to matter what we try

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 14:04

tidus_mi2 I wonder if Pauno could have got the best out of Loader? We'll never find out but it is curious. I'll also forgive Virginia for being shit, he was a 19 year old playing professional football for the first time and was just an overall shit signing by Gomes. He could still be a great goalkeeper if his brief spell hasn't severely knocked his confidence.

Its insane how big the different is between him a cabral. A good goalkeeper like we have is worth 15+ points a season

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 14:05

Snowflake Royal
genome Still not been behind in a [league] game this season. It's going to be interesting to see how we play once that happens, and what Pauno does

1 down, probably nothing changes. Play the same and we're likely to tuck away 1 or 2 goals and still get points.

2 down and it gets interesting, but that hopefully won't happen much and you wouldn't expect to get much out of many games where you go 2 down anyway.

3 down and it's unlikely to matter what we try

At the moment we seem to be a hit them hard and fast team, and "you score 3 we will score 4" team, like Peterborough seem to be. Which is dangerous way to play but we seem to come out the blocks quickly these days.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 14:12

"These days" being one game all season? Or am I due a whooosh.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 28 Oct 2020 14:23

I'm a big believer in confidence and momentum, once you have those anything can happen in football.

but, I'm pretty amazed at how clinical we are - an inch here or there and it's a different story...

having said that, the quality of this team feels different somehow - hopefully the bumps in the road to come won't dent that confidence

There is some real skill and tenacity on show and last night was a great example of it

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 14:24

CountryRoyal "These days" being one game all season? Or am I due a whooosh.

All this season we have

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 Oct 2020 14:31

Simmops What has changed so much from last season?
No fans in the ground groaning and moaning when things don't go to plan and knocking player confidence.

Steve Coppell in the 106 season wasn't able to put his finger on the reasons for their success, I suspect the same can be said of our current great form.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Oct 2020 14:53

Forbury Lion [quote="Simmops"What has changed so much from last season?
No fans in the ground groaning and moaning when things don't go to plan and knocking player confidence.

Steve Coppell in the 106 season wasn't able to put his finger on the reasons for their success, I suspect the same can be said of our current great form.[/quote]

Perhaps being typically modest?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Oct 2020 14:54

bcubed
Forbury Lion [quote="Simmops"What has changed so much from last season?

Steve Coppell in the 106 season wasn't able to put his finger on the reasons for their success, I suspect the same can be said of our current great form.

Perhaps being typically modest?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Oct 2020 14:56

Lots of factors as people have said but if I had to say one in particular I’d say the signing of Laurent
He and Rinomhota are gelling perfectly and providing some substance to our previous lightweight midfield

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 Oct 2020 15:25

Fox Talbot Lot of good sensible points I’d agree with, esp Joao fir, playing Laurenomhota rather than Swift at base of midfield, keeping. a settled team.

But, and it’s not a nice thing to say, the absence of Gunter, McCLeary and Obita who all have seen too many bad times here, plus Blackett and Loader moving on, may have lightened dressing room spirits.

I've never really believed that seeing bad days makes players into Eeyores. You could equally argue that as they have seen good times come after bad (e.g., Stam season 1 after the mess the year before, Wales getting to the Euro semifinals after being basically dross for decades....), they'd know that nothing, either good or bad, is permanent. All footballers, if they get to have any sort of pro career at all must develop resilience while they are in their teens, or they'll never make it out as far as a pro-contract.
Disruptive players who cause fights or who clearly don't pull their weight are another matter. Not sure we've really had a clear one of those since Guthrie and Drenthe. Whoever was responsible for that pair has a lot to answer for.

Anyway, ancient history now.

Any news on what, if anything, McCleary and Obita are doing now?
Loader seems to be doing fine for Porto B. I noticed from a tweet yesterday that Charlton have won all 4 games without conceding since Gunter joined, so that seems to be working out too. Whereas, Blackett has not had the happiest of beginnings at Forest, to say the least!

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 28 Oct 2020 15:35

TiagoIlori Paunovic has got Moore going again, we all know how brilliant he was in 16/17 so our defence is instantly miles better. I wasn’t sure on Laurent when we signed him but he’s been fantastic defensively, we have an excellent backup right back for Esteves too. Attacking wise nothing has changed, we’re too reliant on Joao hopefully we can change that. Also Paunovic isn’t Bowen, he sounds a lot better at man management and is an actual manager. Other than that nothing has changed, we’ll see what happens when results start going against us.

Fixed it for you :)

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 28 Oct 2020 15:41

Have we anyone near a bookings suspension ?
Is it 5 bookings before the 19th matchweek ?