What has changed so much from last season?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: What has changed so much from last season?

by Snowball » 29 Oct 2020 08:19

Hound
Snowball
Royalwaster
That must have been some amazing research into their reserve team then as it was his first game for Rotherham's first team ... :D

Presume this is a whoosh?

Just checked and Blackman has made at least eight starts for Rotherham this season.

Getting him confused with the Blackburn keeper I assume

Thanks, Hound

Can’t find the quote anywhere! Driving me bonkers!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Oct 2020 11:04

skipper
Woodcote Royal
Simmops Money and fame and big teams talk.

But not now and for as long as we remain in contention for promotion with the prospect of him starting next season as an establish member of a top flight team rather than sat on Dortmund’s bench.

But that was what happened with Sidders. I always fear that happening to our best players.

Sidwell didn’t leave in our promotion season we kept and played the whole team and finished 8th in the Prem!

But, he refused to sign a new contract and left for free at the end of that season the failure to replace him probably being the biggest reason for our relegation.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Oct 2020 11:09

Woodcote Royal
skipper
Woodcote Royal
But not now and for as long as we remain in contention for promotion with the prospect of him starting next season as an establish member of a top flight team rather than sat on Dortmund’s bench.

But that was what happened with Sidders. I always fear that happening to our best players.

Sidwell didn’t leave in our promotion season we kept and played the whole team and finished 8th in the Prem!

But, he refused to sign a new contract and left for free at the end of that season the failure to replace him probably being the biggest reason for our relegation.

Bet he regrets that now

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Oct 2020 11:25

Woodcote Royal
skipper
Woodcote Royal

The BBC Berks podcast interview with him is worth a listen, he actually signed for Chelsea on less money than Reading offered.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Oct 2020 13:45

Forbury Lion
Woodcote Royal
skipper

The BBC Berks podcast interview with him is worth a listen, he actually signed for Chelsea on less money than Reading offered.

Then he's a tosser.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Oct 2020 15:34

Millsy
Forbury Lion
Woodcote Royal

Then he's a tosser.

Why? Because he done something literally anybody else would.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Oct 2020 15:38

Simmops
Millsy
Forbury Lion The BBC Berks podcast interview with him is worth a listen, he actually signed for Chelsea on less money than Reading offered.

Then he's a tosser.

Interesting though, because I'm sure most Reading fans would have assumed it was for more money, at which point we all shrug and say OK.
For it to be for less money literally anybody else would think twice and then probably wouldn't

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Oct 2020 15:49

Franchise FC
Simmops
Millsy
Then he's a tosser.

Interesting though, because I'm sure most Reading fans would have assumed it was for more money, at which point we all shrug and say OK.
For it to be for less money literally anybody else would think twice and then probably wouldn't

Depends on what you want for your career. Chelsea wanted him and yes they probably paid less but he was going to be part of the first team squad and train daily with the likes of Lampard, Essien etc - some of the best in his position. So chances may be limited unless he really proved himself but overall he would have likely learnt and improved as a player.

He started 7 PL games there and made 25 apperances in all competitions, mix of starting and sub so his year there was hardly a dud before making what at the time was a decent move to Villa.

So all in all, it was a good move for him regardless of the wages.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Oct 2020 15:50

Stranded
Franchise FC
Simmops

Depends on what you want for your career. Chelsea wanted him and yes they probably paid less but he was going to be part of the first team squad and train daily with the likes of Lampard, Essien etc - some of the best in his position. So chances may be limited unless he really proved himself but overall he would have likely learnt and improved as a player.

He started 7 PL games there and made 25 apperances in all competitions, mix of starting and sub so his year there was hardly a dud before making what at the time was a decent move to Villa.

I do remember him being pretty dreadful in the opening 45 minutes for Chelsea in the first game after the transfer. Jose took him off at half time, IIRC.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Oct 2020 15:58

Hendo
Stranded
Franchise FC Interesting though, because I'm sure most Reading fans would have assumed it was for more money, at which point we all shrug and say OK.

I do remember him being pretty dreadful in the opening 45 minutes for Chelsea in the first game after the transfer. Jose took him off at half time, IIRC.

Yep total mare that day - that was actually his first start and was only 2nd game of the season - was Mourinho testing him I think. Made 5 more league starts pretty soon after that, then was essentially a bench warmer in the PL.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 29 Oct 2020 17:01

My point being, if Olise leaves, irrespective of us gaining promotion, because he is a free transfer at the end of the season, does he sign for a big team and not play, like Sidwell, or sign for a middling Prem team on more money than we can offer, still play but not achieve what he could? Or stick with us and be the home town hero?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Oct 2020 17:22

Simmops
Millsy
Forbury Lion The BBC Berks podcast interview with him is worth a listen, he actually signed for Chelsea on less money than Reading offered.

Then he's a tosser.

Even for more money, not "literally anybody else" would, but it's more understandable. For less money though definitely not literally anyone else. It's not like it was League One to the PL. We finished 8th in the PL FFS. We had something special. To screw that all up to join a bigger club a few positions higher, for less PL starts and for even less money is basically just sticking the finger up at the club. I've lost respect for him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2020 17:48

Franchise FC
Simmops
Millsy
Then he's a tosser.

Didn't he refuse our offer saying he had to think about his family's future.

The reason to sign for a big club like chelsea is to earn a mint in the reserves. If you're offered more and going to be playing and you choose the reserves you're an idiot.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Oct 2020 17:54

Millsy
Simmops
Millsy
Then he's a tosser.

Even for more money, not "literally anybody else" would, but it's more understandable. For less money though definitely not literally anyone else. It's not like it was League One to the PL. We finished 8th in the PL FFS. We had something special. To screw that all up to join a bigger club a few positions higher, for less PL starts and for even less money is basically just sticking the finger up at the club. I've lost respect for him.

:lol:

The chance to play for at the time the best manager and team in the country with the best players? I would have done it and I'm sure everybody else would have bar you. Even If it was for 1 game he probably doesn't regret it, and there is no proof it was for less money anyway

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Oct 2020 18:05

Simmops
Millsy
Simmops

:lol:

The chance to play for at the time the best manager and team in the country with the best players? I would have done it and I'm sure everybody else would have bar you. Even If it was for 1 game he probably doesn't regret it, and there is no proof it was for less money anyway

This discussion is based on IF it was for less money and I disagree as above.

Adie harps on that it's all about first team chances and most players would take a pay cut, and a division cut to be playing week in week out. How true that is I don't know.

However, I can agree with the underlying point that it's perhaps not *that* surprising as while I disagree "literally anybody" would do it, I concede that some (i.e. at least you and Sidders) would.

As such, while everyone might not have lost respect for him, I have.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 29 Oct 2020 18:09

Re: Sidwell.

First thing to say - SJM was NOT happy at the thought of paying large wage increases to existing players simply because they had - in his mind - done the job they were paid to do, and he saw the wage inflation that came with the promotion as a curse....

My understanding at the time was that he/his agent was approached in the Summer of 2006 by the club with an offer which he/his agent didn't think valued him highly enough.

In the January, Chelsea offered him a substantial raise both compared to Sidwell's then salary, and what we had offered in the Summer of 2006, and he committed to joining Chelsea at that time.

Later in the Season, we offered him more money than Chelsea did, but he decided to turn that down, and still join Chelsea.

Also, by leaving on a free, he would have got a substantial signing on fee.

As for the numbers, I heard figures at the time but frankly, its all irrelevant now - water under the bridge.

However, I will give an illustration of SJM's view of salary offers; Coppell told the story of why Matty Upson failed to join the club.......

.....basically, Upson was very keen to join; he loved the club, loved being adored by the fans, and really wanted to be part of what was happening here. Arsenal indicated that they were happy to release him and for us to talk to the player, so it was decided that, before we spoke transfer fees with Arsenal, we would make an offer to Matty and take it from there.....

.......so, SJM and Coppell met with Matty and his agent; SJM gives all the gushing spiel, how we wanted to have Matty as the club captain, build the team around him, valuable asset for us etc etc etc, and then came the offer.

It was 23% of the salary Matty was on at Arsenal.

Whilst Matty's agent sat there with his mouth open, Matty looked at Coppell and laughed, before he and his agent said "thank you Mr Chairman", got up, and left.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Oct 2020 18:34

Mr Angry Re: Sidwell.

First thing to say - SJM was NOT happy at the thought of paying large wage increases to existing players simply because they had - in his mind - done the job they were paid to do, and he saw the wage inflation that came with the promotion as a curse....

My understanding at the time was that he/his agent was approached in the Summer of 2006 by the club with an offer which he/his agent didn't think valued him highly enough.

In the January, Chelsea offered him a substantial raise both compared to Sidwell's then salary, and what we had offered in the Summer of 2006, and he committed to joining Chelsea at that time.

Later in the Season, we offered him more money than Chelsea did, but he decided to turn that down, and still join Chelsea.

As for the numbers, I heard figures at the time but frankly, its all irrelevant now - water under the bridge.

However, I will give an illustration of SJM's view of salary offers; Coppell told the story of why Matty Upson failed to join the club.......

.....basically, Upson was very keen to join; he loved the club, loved being adored by the fans, and really wanted to be part of what was happening here. Arsenal indicated that they were happy to release him and for us to talk to the player, so it was decided that, before we spoke transfer fees with Arsenal, we would make an offer to Matty and take it from there.....

.......so, SJM and Coppell met with Matty and his agent; SJM gives all the gushing spiel, how we wanted to have Matty as the club captain, build the team around him, valuable asset for us etc etc etc, and then came the offer.

Whilst Matty's agent sat there with his mouth open, Matty looked at Coppell and laughed, before he and his agent said "thank you Mr Chairman", got up, and left.

Wow. What a tight arse. Upson was. Gr8 for us.

Are you ITK?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2020 18:46

There's a fairly major issue with that story. Upson was with us on loan until December 2002 and Coppell didn't join us until October 2003.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Oct 2020 19:04

Snowflake Royal

There's a fairly major issue with that story. Upson was with us on loan until December 2002 and Coppell didn't join us until October 2003.

And I clearly remember being at Pizza Express in Woking during that meeting.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Oct 2020 19:05

Millsy
Snowflake Royal

And I clearly remember being at Pizza Express in Woking during that meeting.

Somebody is lying here