BGTF Coventry

One Beer is never enough.

Re: BGTF Coventry

by One Beer is never enough. » 30 Oct 2020 23:10

I feel tonight like I did after the Plymouth defeat in 2005. There but for a chance taken here, a block there, tonight would've been very different. Still glass half full for the next 3/4 of the season...

alfie9

by alfie9 » 30 Oct 2020 23:15

I'm pissed. We were on our way to possibly another win and we get caught flat footed twice, then a long shot goes through Rafael's hands.

Hope the boys get a good rest in before Wednesday. They look tired. We're gonna beat Preston URZZZZZZZ

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Oct 2020 23:33

alfie9 I'm pissed. We were on our way to possibly another win and we get caught flat footed twice, then a long shot goes through Rafael's hands.

Hope the boys get a good rest in before Wednesday. They look tired. We're gonna beat Preston URZZZZZZZ

You certainly don't type like you're pissed mate - very coherent! Or maybe you're American... ;)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Oct 2020 23:37

TiagoIlori Ridiculous how Aluko solely is getting blamed for this

I too thought that might be the case and tried to preempt it with the opener, but it seems thankfully noone one is really blaming here thus far. Probably just that comment on BBCRB. I remember him doing one move in particular on the right wing, which was just sublime. Of course noone will blame Rafael for costing us a point....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Oct 2020 23:39

Though I thought Rhino had a decent game, the "wall" wasn't there.

We were undisciplined, like a Sunday football team, lots of skill, but no machine.

Shame Joao missed his good chance early, but scored again, can't really ask for more
but lovely flick for Puscas,

Coventry were ordinary and the goals against us were poor

ALUKO PLAYED WELL (what's wrong with you guys?)

I think it was over-confidence and the TEAM not playing (as a team)

We need to dig in now because Preston are a very good away side. Need to win that, not lose to Stoke and we are well back on track. I will worry if we blow it v Preston as we have a short tough run coming up.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 30 Oct 2020 23:52

Simmops
windermereROYAL
Westwood52 Coventry deserved that.Robbins sussed us out and Puskas came on far too late.Some very average performances.

Rafa 4 Easily his worst game for us.Bit unlucky for the first,should have parried the second out and away,and the third came from a fair way out.

Estevez 5 Poor first half,but better in the second.Not many teams regularly play two 18 year olds.
Richards 7 Probably our best player.
Morrison 6 Few weak headers,and as ever limited on the ball.
Moore 6 Seems to have lost a yard of pace and looks bulky.
Laurent 5 They dominated midfield for long periods.Maybe he is a bit limited on the ball.
Rino 4 At fault for their first for not tracking back,and kept on running into blind alleys.
Semedo 3 Kept on taking the wrong option.We have better players at the club who can play attacking midfield.
Olise 5 More bad than good this game.But you get this with 18 year old.Will dip in and out of form all season.
Alukho 5 Some very poor moments mixed with some top class bits of play.To blame everything on him is ridiculous.He should have been moved into Semedo position 2nd half and Puskas brought on.Cov were handling us far too easily.
Jao 7 Got us out of gaol again with superb finish.Then we were quite unable to apply a measure of control.

Good old Puskas.McIntyre waste of a sub.given the state of the game.

Ref very good and I don’t say this often and never have when we lose.

McIntyre a waste of a sub? were you actually watching the f*cking game??? and Semedo a 3, he was the best midfielder, get down to specsavers first thing tomorrow.

Hes the forums worst poster so its usual for him

Don’t read them then.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Oct 2020 00:34

We’ll play worse than tonight and win. We started well on the front foot, created a couple of half chances, Joao missed his one and one and the next thing you know we’re 1 down

Obviously being a goal down is a different scenario to what we’re used to so was always going to be more difficult and whilst we seemed to regain the control, we didn’t threaten enough, our passing was too slow and the movement up top was lacking

Felt Pauno missed a trick leaving Joao up top by himself so long, think Puscas should have been on earlier, especially considering the three behind the striker weren’t working. The problem with playing Aluko and Olise out wide is they both have a tendency to come inside whereas the likes of Meite, Ejaria etc usually stay wider. Think we should have matched their formation minute 60 ish and brought McIntyre and Puscas on for two of Aluko/Olise/Semedo

Rafael 4 - bad day at the office for him

Esteves 5 - struggled against their wingback, possibly a game too far for him in a short period of time
Morrison 5 - shaky at the back
Moore 6 - did OK
Richards 7 - one of the better performers

Laurent 6 - a bit too slow at closing down, neat reverse pass for Joao’s goal
Rinomhota 6 - question marks for the first goal, but his usual self other than that

Aluko 6 - the sort of performance I expected when he joined, showed glimpses of talent and good moments but equally poor end product
Semedo 5 - a good engine in midfield but too many poor choices tonight, perhaps more useful when playing on the counter, rather than breaking down teams
Olise 5 - looked a bit leggy, should have been hooked sooner

Joao 7 - a constant threat up top followed by another goal

Puscas 7 - looked lively and should have been on sooner
McIntyre - N/A

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Oct 2020 00:57

Snowflake Royal Mildly lacklustre performance against a very well drilled Coventry side who took their chances. Very much a feel of after the Lord Mayor's show today with a few too many attempts at the spectacular when it was the wrong choice and some poor end product and finishing for a change.

Really missed Meite's physical presence on the wing to give us an extra dimension. Too much sloppiness, some really poor passing to Cov at times which is very uncharacteristic.

But despite that we rarely look out of the game and could well have got more on another day.

Keeps the feet on the ground, could be exactly what we need where it doesn't really do any harm.

Got to stop those injuries piling up though.

We still scored two goals though. Conceding more but also scoring more. Meh.

Happy enough.

Not sure the poor passing is too uncharacteristic against the teams where we have to break the lines

We seem a lot more adept at playing on the counter, and exploiting space. It’s hopefully something that will be worked on, breaking down packed defences as personally don’t think we move the ball around quick enough

Agreed regarding Meite, felt the lack of plan B hurt us today, reckon he could have latched onto the pass Aluko just missed early on in the game

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Oct 2020 01:04

Millsy
TiagoIlori Ridiculous how Aluko solely is getting blamed for this

I too thought that might be the case and tried to preempt it with the opener, but it seems thankfully noone one is really blaming here thus far. Probably just that comment on BBCRB. I remember him doing one move in particular on the right wing, which was just sublime. Of course noone will blame Rafael for costing us a point....

He was shit. Got the ball ran a bit and then passed backwards, waywards or to a Coventry player. One moment when we were attacking and received the ball and let it go under his feet into touch .

Dreadful.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Oct 2020 07:08

Chameleon We generated more than enough opportunities in attack and had a couple of shockers in defence.

This is the championship, it happens. And as far as losses go it wasn't that bad. All about PNE on Tuesday now, a win there and this match will be quickly forgotten.

This 4 points from the next 2 home games and we'll be in good shape hitting the break. Always going to lose eventually and did, disappointing but hey ho. Team need to show it was just an off night and bounce back Tuesday. Won't be easy given PNE have picked up all their points on the road so far.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Oct 2020 07:19

Let’s be honest, that defeat could have happened in any of the last few games. Cov did a Reading on us and deserved their win

As Pauno said, the main issue was the lack of shielding in front on the back 2. I thought both Rino and Laurent looked to have reasonable games but when you look back, all their 3 goals and the crossbar effort were created from that zone in front of the CBs where they have been so strong. The wall wasn’t there and with Rafael making a couple of errors, it was game over

Two other things that were way below standard were the crossing and the strange passiveness at 1-1. We should have been piling into them

Anyway other than that there were plus points. We looked confident and tidy, made a lot of good situations and scored 2 good goals. The second hinted at a nice partnership between Puscas and Joao which is like to see given a go

The injuries are a real worry though - need Joao to stay fit or I can see us struggling

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Oct 2020 08:29

Meh. I'm disappointed in the manner of the loss. Coventry played decently but were far from the best team we have played.

Rafael was very poor. Only made one save which was the one he parried straight into the path of an onrushing player.

Too many long, speculative shots from various players.

Lack of subs was odd. Waited very long to make a change. Aluko seems to lack a bit of quality for the final product. Didnt look like assisting or scoring apart from his free kick that was saved well.

If the team can respond well next week then it doesn't matter. Time to test the spirit of the team.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Oct 2020 08:45

Winston Biscuit Poor quality Pauno

:mrgreen:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Oct 2020 09:01

The reaction to this on Twitter is great. You'd think we'd just dropped out of the playoffs. We're still 6 points clear at the top of the league, which is nuts. I wouldn't be shocked to see Derby beat Bournemouth today, just the way these things happen sometimes. As mans have said, it's all about how we respond on Wednesday.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 31 Oct 2020 09:52

I mean, I was pissed last night. But in a weird way I’m glad we lost - we can see the resolve of the team now and will hopefully see them come back stronger and more focussed for the wins.

Even Leeds are piling in on Twitter. Lest they forget that they lost to both Charlton and Wigan last season :lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Oct 2020 10:17

royalp-we I mean, I was pissed last night. But in a weird way I’m glad we lost - we can see the resolve of the team now and will hopefully see them come back stronger and more focussed for the wins.

Even Leeds are piling in on Twitter. Lest they forget that they lost to both Charlton and Wigan last season :lol:

It really is weird how much everyone hates us considering we're so "irrelevant". If say, Wigan, were flying high at the top of the Champ I think we'd be pleased for them, but everyone is desperate for us to fcuk it up.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Oct 2020 10:18

Pepe the Horseman
royalp-we I mean, I was pissed last night. But in a weird way I’m glad we lost - we can see the resolve of the team now and will hopefully see them come back stronger and more focussed for the wins.

It really is weird how much everyone hates us considering we're so "irrelevant". If say, Wigan, were flying high at the top of the Champ I think we'd be pleased for them, but everyone is desperate for us to fcuk it up.

Wigan flying high? Not possible surely.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 31 Oct 2020 10:22

One Beer is never enough. I feel tonight like I did after the Plymouth defeat in 2005. There but for a chance taken here, a block there, tonight would've been very different. Still glass half full for the next 3/4 of the season...

More the midweek loss against Luton in 2005 for me.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Oct 2020 10:23

NewCorkSeth
Pepe the Horseman

Was just trying to think of someone as tinpot as us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Oct 2020 10:45

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth
Pepe the Horseman It really is weird how much everyone hates us considering we're so "irrelevant". If say, Wigan, were flying high at the top of the Champ I think we'd be pleased for them, but everyone is desperate for us to fcuk it up.

Was just trying to think of someone as tinpot as us.

Does not compute.