365 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (h) sponsored by Dylan Kerr

by Sutekh » 04 Nov 2020 21:02

When : Saturday 7th November 2020, 12.30pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

And as Reading’s spectacular season start has now well and truly disappeared off into the wide blue yonder we can expect a visit from Stoke City.

Stoke are no pushovers either, they are much improved on what they produced last season and have made some shrewd signings in the transfer window with Steve Fletcher and Jon Obi Mikel arriving so this is going to be very difficult. Their form over the last 6 games is win 3, drawn 1 and lost 2 but the defeats were both away at highly fancied and in form Swansea and Watford. Steve Fletcher and Nick Powell are leading the way with the goals plus Tyrese Campbell is reportedly beginning to attract PL interest so there will be plenty to keep Reading busy.

The injuries running throughout the camp are really causing immense issues and I think are the main reason for the slump in form. There is little choice of options in key areas and consequently a lot is being heaped in the shoulders of a limited number of players. Of particular concern are the injuries to Meite and Ejaria who we were told were only suffering minor knocks and should be back almost immediately, well let’s hope they’re back for this game. All that said though, Reading hardly help themselves by producing dreadfully slow starts in nearly all games.

But worst of all, this game is live on SKY, though at least Reading have started doing their damnedest to ensure SKY go back to ignoring them.

Finally expect a minute’s silence before kick off for Remembrance Day.

Referee

Mr Keith Stroud

Previously

18 Jan 2020 > Millwall 2-0 Reading
28 Sep 2019 > Swansea City 1-1 Reading
05 May 2019 > Reading 0-0 Birmingham City
10 Apr 2019 > Norwich City 2-2 Reading
27 Oct 2018 > Swansea City 2-0 Reading
28 Apr 2018 > Reading 0-4 Ipswich Town
02 Dec 2017 > Sunderland 1-3 Reading
04 Nov 2017 > Derby County 2-4 Reading
01 Apr 2017 > Reading 1-0 Leeds United
14 Feb 2017 > Reading 3-2 Brentford
19 Nov 2016 > Reading 3-0 Burton Albion
28 Dec 2015 > Reading 1-2 Brentford
07 Nov 2015 > Cardiff City 2-0 Reading
03 Oct 2015 > Reading 2-0 Middlesbrough
14 Apr 2015 > Reading 0-1 Bournemouth
29 Mar 2014 > Reading 1-1 Huddersfield Town
11 Jan 2014 > Watford 0-1 Reading
13 Aug 2011 > Leicester City 0-2 Reading
03 Apr 2010 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
06 Feb 2010 > Doncaster Rovers 1-2 Reading
29 Dec 2007 > Tottenham Hotspur 6-4 Reading
22 Sep 2007 > Reading 2-1 Wigan Athletic
25 Feb 2006 > Reading 2-1 Preston North End
23 Aug 2005 > Reading 3-1 Swansea City (League Cup)

Historically

This will be the 25th league visit by Stoke City to Reading. Of the previous 24 games Reading have won 10 and lost 4 and are currently unbeaten in the last 15 (8 wins, 7 draws) and only failed to score in one of them so historically there is some hope for Reading - but of course with the aforementioned injuries proving to be a real curse (again) Reading will need all the help they can get.

How to follow the game

1. Live on Sky
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (h) sponsored by Dylan Kerr

by CountryRoyal » 04 Nov 2020 22:09

Ok the win one didn’t work. Let’s try this.

Nailed on draw.

As for team depends on who we have available but assuming the same squad as today.

Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Gibson
Richards

Rino
Laurent

Estevez
Aluko
Olise

Puscas

———————

Joao’s missed some absolutely crucial goals last couple of games and I think we should give Puscas a go, Joao off the bench against tiring defences could work.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 04 Nov 2020 22:36

Stoke are on fire and will oxf*rd us over big time. We are on a downwood spiral

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Nov 2020 08:37

This is going to be tricky, so hopefully have Yiadom, Meite and Ejaria back available.

Feel like one of the reasons we've dipped is Esteves defending and positioning. I think Rino's having to cover him more so having the solid Yiadom back would help.
CBs seem to have been a bit more exposed to pace down the channels on both flanks.

Then there's the more powderpuff attacking midfield ahead of them. So Meite back to add another dimension is good, similar Ejaria.

Cabral
Yiadom
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards
Rinomhota
Laurent
Meite
Semedo
Ejaria
Joao

Give Olise a rest, his performances have drifted slightly a d he's still young. Don't let him get complacent or too secure just yet.

Plus he could have a good impact off the bench.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2020 08:52

sounds like Ejaria is most likely to be back. Meite maybe not yet. He's been a huge miss.

For whatever reason McIntyre looked way off in the last game. If Gibson doesn't come in now, he probably never will. Bit early for Yiadom to start I think, need to tread carefully with him. Tempting to go 2 up top but would resist it for now

Rafael

Esteves
Richards
Morro
Gibson

laurent
Rino

Ejaria
Semedo
Meite if fit/Aluko

Joao

Southwood, Puscas, Yiadom, Baldock, McIntyre, Olise, Tetek

Taffster

by Taffster » 05 Nov 2020 09:35

Team looks devoid of its early season energy and I can't see a way to rest players without changing the formation. So for me it would be a 4312 -

Rafael
Yiadom Morrision Mcintryre Richards
Laurent

Rinhomata Semedo
Ejaria (If fit)
Pucas Joao

Esteves and Olise look like they are running on empty so would have them as option of the bench if need be. Would like to see Puscas and Joao up top together as I recall them playing well as a pair at the start of last season.
Yiadom and Richards seem to have the engine to provide the width for the team.
Mcintrye survives just about for me but another poor game and you would have to give Gibson a go.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Nov 2020 09:37

We will lose this game, the honeymoon period is over and we are finding our level.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 05 Nov 2020 09:52

Sutekh How to follow the game

1. Live on Sky
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Freeview 719 has BBC Berks on in SW London

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 05 Nov 2020 14:05

Not confident at all unless we buck our ideas up. Most painful thing about the last two defeats is simply the fact they were lost due to individual mistakes at crucial moments. Wouldn’t be surprised if Pauno changed things up a bit.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Nov 2020 14:40

Rafael

Esteves
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Rinomhota
Laurent

Meite
Aluko
Ejaria

Joao

Southwood Gibson Yiadom Semedo Olise Puscas Baldock

If Meite doesn’t make it, would switch to a back five with Gibson in and bring Puscas in for Aluko to play up top with Joao

If Ejaria isn’t fit, no idea

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Nov 2020 15:07

I feel we definitely need to at least get a draw in this one, stop the run of defeats.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 06 Nov 2020 15:16

Need Meite and Ejari back for this. Moore too if possible - What's his prognosis?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Nov 2020 18:04

tidus_mi2 I feel we definitely need to at least get a draw in this one, stop the run of defeats.

Agree as a tough trip away at Bournemouth doesn’t fill me with joy.

That being said the argument could be made that now is as good as any time to have a bad run. Even with a defeat we will most likely still go into the break top and it gives us a chance to get players back and regroup.

I’m not too concerned by our last couple of defeats, I don’t think we’ve played particularly differently to how we have in most games but we’ve lost the defensive stability of the back 4 which was so solid - first through Estevez and then the shit show shambles of what happens with no Moore. Joao would have otherwise put away his really good chances. It was easy to get carried away after our start that this team could do great things but you just had to watch our games to know that wasn’t the case. I still think we can go up, the league is anyone’s this year but we need to address the defence first and build from the back again, Yiadom back will help hugely with that.

I’m not expecting out of the game anything tomorrow I’d just like to be a bit harder to beat, which is what we did so well earlier in the season. Stop leaking goals and maybe nick something the other end and I’m happy with that. It would be good to see free flowing great one touch football but we don’t seem to be capable of producing that in any great spells. It’s going to be a grind but I think we have what it takes to be in the mix at the end, provided we don’t see recurring injuries to our big players, without Ejaria, Meite, Moore and co we will struggle.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Nov 2020 10:42

skipper Need Meite and Ejari back for this. Moore too if possible - What's his prognosis?

Both out according to BBCRB

Hope he starts Puscas and João up top.....I know he won't though. The squad just looks so thin at the minute.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Nov 2020 11:30

Great to see Yids back in the side. Will Esteves play higher?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Nov 2020 11:32

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Nov 2020 11:34

Another game, and looks like manager trying something different - two up top.

And at least Moore, Meite and Ejaria should be back to try and annoy Bournemouth

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 07 Nov 2020 11:36

Ascotexgunner
skipper Need Meite and Ejari back for this. Moore too if possible - What's his prognosis?

Both out according to BBCRB

Hope he starts Puscas and João up top.....I know he won't though. The squad just looks so thin at the minute.

Happy?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 07 Nov 2020 11:37

Is that a more defensive lineup? Olise dropped guess to firm up the midfield. Trying to figure out formation.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Nov 2020 11:38

Quite like that line up - assume Esteves on wing.

Hope Gibson is up to it

Makes sense not rushing injured players back, we've got another stupid run of games coming up after the break

365 posts