How many Managers have you been through ?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How many Managers have you been through ?

by The Royal Forester » 12 Nov 2020 14:03

RFCMod
Dick Habbin's hairdo
LUX [quote="RFCMod"

not quite true, though.

It was behind the Town End.

I am 100% sure of this.

Luxy, the mists of time must be fogging your memory. If the concrete car park - and it latterly had a rather fetching tarmacadam coating - was behind the Town End it would have engulfed the back bogs, gardens and half the front rooms of the houses in Suffolk Road.

The car park/training ground was hard left out of the South Bank and north of where the Rendezvous was built. Or did the Rendezvous swallow it up?
I
Actually, I seem to recall it was positioned almost behind the tuck shop in the corner of the Town End adjoining the SB..... but only accessible from Tilehurst Road.....

Bloody hell it was on the right as you started down the slope to the South Bank.The unmade road was alongside it which had the small club shop at the start of it[/quote]

I have just Googled "Aerial views of Elm Park Reading" (sorry, I don't know how to link websites, any volunteers?) Getty Images clearly shows a car park behind the Town End. It also shows a larger car park behind the South Bank. So I declare it a draw as both of you were right. What it dosn't show though, is which car park was used for training, Maybe that could spark off another discussion!

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 12 Nov 2020 14:14

The Royal Forester
RFCMod
Dick Habbin's hairdo

not quite true, though.

It was behind the Town End.

I am 100% sure of this.

Luxy, the mists of time must be fogging your memory. If the concrete car park - and it latterly had a rather fetching tarmacadam coating - was behind the Town End it would have engulfed the back bogs, gardens and half the front rooms of the houses in Suffolk Road.

The car park/training ground was hard left out of the South Bank and north of where the Rendezvous was built. Or did the Rendezvous swallow it up?
I
Actually, I seem to recall it was positioned almost behind the tuck shop in the corner of the Town End adjoining the SB..... but only accessible from Tilehurst Road.....

Bloody hell it was on the right as you started down the slope to the South Bank.The unmade road was alongside it which had the small club shop at the start of it

I have just Googled "Aerial views of Elm Park Reading" (sorry, I don't know how to link websites, any volunteers?) Getty Images clearly shows a car park behind the Town End. It also shows a larger car park behind the South Bank. So I declare it a draw as both of you were right. What it dosn't show though, is which car park was used for training, Maybe that could spark off another discussion![/quote]

I must have done something wrong as only the last paragraph was submitted by me. I hope all those who thought they were right, can shake hands and say, "Sorry, you were right after all". May peace now decend upon this thread.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 12 Nov 2020 15:50

You're both right.

Where Cumming and Moreline (1970s) would have trained was the directors car park which was indeed right behind the Town End for as long as I can remember.

The fenced hard court area behind the South Bank came much later - something to do with youth development in the 1980s - and probably replaced the other one as a training area.

Southsomroyal

by Southsomroyal » 12 Nov 2020 16:30

The list omits Ian Porterfield and Lew Chatterley......
Just saying

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 12 Nov 2020 21:12

Ha! Now I remember..... senile old git that I am. Yes, thanks for putting me straight. I had completely forgotten about the smaller 'directors car park' before the larger footy in the community 'court', especially as my and SWLR's spot was underneath the smaller advertising sign in the Town End (before it was extended with the 'Reading we are here' and HAT painting signs.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 12 Nov 2020 22:49

Yep, my memories were very much mid 1970’s

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 12 Nov 2020 23:34

maurice evans onwards :mrgreen:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Nov 2020 08:04

The talk of car parks reminds me of being in the Junior Royals playing on the fenced off area before going into the "clubhouse" under the Tilehurst End to watch Saint & Greavsie before the stewards kicked us out at 1.30.

Always meant to then leave and pay to get back in but usually just ended up at the programme shop and never paid.

Occasionally would work the Tuck Shop pre-match and at half time to get a free "upgrade" to the stand.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 19 Nov 2020 11:08

Stranded The talk of car parks reminds me of being in the Junior Royals playing on the fenced off area before going into the "clubhouse" under the Tilehurst End to watch Saint & Greavsie before the stewards kicked us out at 1.30.

Always meant to then leave and pay to get back in but usually just ended up at the programme shop and never paid.

Occasionally would work the Tuck Shop pre-match and at half time to get a free "upgrade" to the stand.

Ah yes Tuck Shops.I remember them.Jumpers for goal posts,leather balls with nice big prominent laces,dubbin,socks round your ankles,Ron Manager,decent Scottish football teams.The good old days.