MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a) sponsored by Ricky Newman

339 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a) sponsored by Ricky Newman

by Hound » 22 Nov 2020 13:46

CountryRoyal Will be a big show of character to get a win here an get our season back on track. Don’t want to sound all doom and gloom but Bournemouth had a Fulham feeling about it. Hope it’s nots downhill from here :(

Not like you to be all doom and gloom

Fulham was pretty different tbh. That stopped a good run, we’d just lost the previous 3 this time with very similar performances to this last one

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Nov 2020 14:15

Hound
CountryRoyal Will be a big show of character to get a win here an get our season back on track. Don’t want to sound all doom and gloom but Bournemouth had a Fulham feeling about it. Hope it’s nots downhill from here :(

Not like you to be all doom and gloom

Fulham was pretty different tbh. That stopped a good run, we’d just lost the previous 3 this time with very similar performances to this last one

In the sense that we were up and ahead and then it all went to shit. Of course the context is different but we had basically our full compliment of players yesterday. I don’t think we would have lost the previous three if that was the case.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Nov 2020 16:11

This is pretty significant because if we can't stop the rot soon, with players back from injury and that excuse gone, when will we?

Unfortunately, the damage isn't just being done to us. While earlier in the season other teams came to us expecting to find it near impossible to break through and that they'd be punished for the slightest mistake, now they'll look forward to our games knowing that whatever the situation, if they keep pushing we'll eventually crumble and collapse.

We used to see it regularly a few seasons ago, that we'd start brightly, not really create much or take any chances and then slowly retreat into our shell and drop a clanger, we knew it and every other team knew it. Now it doesn't matter how much we can get over it psychologically, it's there for the other team. And at the first sign of adversity will rear up in our heads again.

We've now just proved that the first goal in a game against us isnt actually crucial. You can be behind and we'll still fall apart and basically chuck the ball in our own net for you.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Nov 2020 18:28

Snowflake Royal This is pretty significant because if we can't stop the rot soon, with players back from injury and that excuse gone, when will we?

Unfortunately, the damage isn't just being done to us. While earlier in the season other teams came to us expecting to find it near impossible to break through and that they'd be punished for the slightest mistake, now they'll look forward to our games knowing that whatever the situation, if they keep pushing we'll eventually crumble and collapse.

We used to see it regularly a few seasons ago, that we'd start brightly, not really create much or take any chances and then slowly retreat into our shell and drop a clanger, we knew it and every other team knew it. Now it doesn't matter how much we can get over it psychologically, it's there for the other team. And at the first sign of adversity will rear up in our heads again.

We've now just proved that the first goal in a game against us isnt actually crucial. You can be behind and we'll still fall apart and basically chuck the ball in our own net for you.

That's only happened once this season, against a side with premier league quality players

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2020 18:47

And saying we chucked the ball in the net for them is silly. The 4th was absymal but the other 3 were good bits of play from Bournemouth even if the defending wasn’t great

As said we were arguably the better team at 2-2. That superb long range goal wasn’t exactly ‘coming’ when it did

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 23 Nov 2020 10:39

Pauno must be so tempted to go with a back three against Milwall.With Holmes as right centre back.That leaves a right wing back problem.Estevez would appear to be the best fit,but he doesn’t fully comprehend RB play let alone RWB.Maybe Olise RWB ,but he isn’t the most disciplined of players.Yiadom s injury now appears to represent a real problem.
With 5-3-2 at least all the other positions seem to pick themselves.Barring perhaps Ejaria or Semedo in the middle of the three.IMO apart from the pen,I thought Semedo was poor on Saturday.But Pauno seems to prefer him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2020 12:22

Think Rafael, Moore, Morrison, Holmes, Richards, Laurent, Rinomhota, Meite, Ejaria and Joao are all pretty certain to start tomorrow (injuries/fitness aside). Which leaves one spot open to the rest

He could play a back five and bring in Esteves but he must be lacking confidence big time and this isn’t the game to regain that. Alternatively he could try Holmes as a RWB and bring in Gibson as a CB but I have doubts over using a CB as a WB

He could try something with Baldock or Puscas with Joao from the start but he seems a bit reluctant to do that and again, not sure this is the game to do that

Which leaves the trio of Semedo, Aluko or Olise for the last spot. Out of those three, Aluko has looked the brightest in the past few games but that’s only marginal and he hasn’t really done enough himself anyway to really justify a place. Would probably give Semedo another chance to match their physicality. So a lineup of:

Rafael
Holmes
Morrison
Moore
Richards
Laurent
Rinomhota
Meite
Semedo
Ejaria
Joao

Bench: Southwood Esteves Gibson Bristow Tetek Aluko Olise Baldock Puscas

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2020 12:48

Aluko is toss and will run and hide from Millwall
Semedo drifts in and out of games and can't last even close to 90 minutes

Olise should start

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 24 Nov 2020 13:15

We really need to tighten things up at the back and a 0-0 draw would be a good result under the current circumstances, but I am not sure we are capable of playing like that at the moment and so it is more likely we will end up winning 3-0 or losing 0-3. It is anyone's guess right now.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Nov 2020 13:50

I understand why people are sceptical of Aluko but oxf*rd hell, have people already forgotten that he scored a goal against Bournemouth? Put in a really good defensive shift in the first half too.

Seems like a bit of a double standard that Aluko is being blamed for the first goal because he got a bit too narrow while Richards is seemingly being reprieved even though he lost his man. Or Ejaria being praised his his good defensive work even though he didn’t win the ball a single time. Sure, Bournemouth were mostly attacking down our right, so Aluko has more opportunities to win the ball, but the winner came from down our left.

God, can’t believe I’m defending Aluko.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Nov 2020 13:55

I think VP may see Holmes primarily as a right back, get the impression he’s being coached that way. I too would bring Holmes back in, not only because he’s more of a defensive minded player, but he also will give a bit of height to the team. I’d also restore Meite and Olise to the starting XI, so...

Rafael
Holmes
Richards
Morrison
Moore
Rinomhota
Laurent
Meite
Joao
Ejaria
Olise

Subs

Southwood, Tetek, Aluko, Baldock, Gibson, Esteves, Semedo, Bristow, Puscas (if fit)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Nov 2020 14:00

SCIAG I understand why people are sceptical of Aluko but oxf*rd hell, have people already forgotten that he scored a goal against Bournemouth? Put in a really good defensive shift in the first half too.

Seems like a bit of a double standard that Aluko is being blamed for the first goal because he got a bit too narrow while Richards is seemingly being reprieved even though he lost his man. Or Ejaria being praised his his good defensive work even though he didn’t win the ball a single time. Sure, Bournemouth were mostly attacking down our right, so Aluko has more opportunities to win the ball, but the winner came from down our left.

hmm, arguable. I mean we basically stopped them attacking down the left so they had to come back inside if memory serves me right. Certainly wasn't a cross in like Goal 1, or on the inside channel like Goal 2

I've got to be honest, I dont remember Aluko doing a lot of good except a nice run and finish for the goal

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2020 15:24

Hound
SCIAG I understand why people are sceptical of Aluko but oxf*rd hell, have people already forgotten that he scored a goal against Bournemouth? Put in a really good defensive shift in the first half too.

hmm, arguable. I mean we basically stopped them attacking down the left so they had to come back inside if memory serves me right. Certainly wasn't a cross in like Goal 1, or on the inside channel like Goal 2

I've got to be honest, I dont remember Aluko doing a lot of good except a nice run and finish for the goal

Aluko wasn't great on Saturday, nope, didn't get involved enough and left his FB exposed too often, which has been a rather common occurrence unfortunately

However I am struggling to understand the general clamour for Olise to start the game. Yes, he has bags of potential, yes, he started the season very well, but he's now put in four pretty average to poor performances in a row (Coventry, Preston, Stoke and Bournemouth)

Certainly don't think any of Olise, Aluko or Semedo are doing enough to cement their place in the XI at the moment

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Nov 2020 15:30

URZZZZ
Hound

Aluko wasn't great on Saturday, nope, didn't get involved enough and left his FB exposed too often, which has been a rather common occurrence unfortunately

However I am struggling to understand the general clamour for Olise to start the game. Yes, he has bags of potential, yes, he started the season very well, but he's now put in four pretty average to poor performances in a row (Coventry, Preston, Stoke and Bournemouth)

Certainly don't think any of Olise, Aluko or Semedo are doing enough to cement their place in the XI at the moment

I'd be happier with Aluko in the middle as the ACM rather than out on the wing. If we have Meite and Ejaria left and right, then not massively fussed who goes ACM. All 3 have done good things and bad things recently

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2020 17:32

He was shit. The goal was about the only positive contribution he made. And I reckon any of our forwards would have scored that.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Nov 2020 20:30

Snowflake Royal Aluko is toss and will run and hide from Millwall
Semedo drifts in and out of games and can't last even close to 90 minutes

Olise should start

Aluko is toss :lol:

Terrible opinion as per usual.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Nov 2020 20:31

Snowflake Royal

He was shit. The goal was about the only positive contribution he made. And I reckon any of our forwards would have scored that.

LOL

:lol:

He could score 12 goals and you'll still abuse him. ClueLOLess

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 24 Nov 2020 21:00

Lost before KO,. Millwall stand tall, but Reading down on their knees.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Nov 2020 21:07

Snowflake Royal

It was a good goal - good run and finish - not taking that away from him

He was pretty poor otherwise though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2020 21:26

Hound
Snowflake Royal

It was a good goal - good run and finish - not taking that away from him

He was pretty poor otherwise though

Didn't say it wasn't good.

339 posts