MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a) sponsored by Ricky Newman

339 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a) sponsored by Ricky Newman

by URZZZZ » 26 Nov 2020 00:51

Fantastic away point at a ground we’ve traditionally struggled at these last few seasons. Make no mistake, to get 5 points from Cardiff, Boro and Millwall away is a solid return given their styles of play and our weaknesses against them in the past. Not a particular fan of “cliches” but the one “we’d have lost that last year” seems only too applicable here

Most players put in a shift today, slightly disappointed with Semedo once again, his defining attributes becoming harder to spot, and it wasn’t Ejaria’s night, habit of spending too long on the ball and not releasing quick enough was apparent

Laurent and Rinomhota make such a difference, and Olise seemed more himself tonight after a string of ropey performances

Need to take this momentum forward now

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Nov 2020 01:04

Snowflake Royal Kinda feel Rafa was suspect on the freekick. The wall set up and his positioning just seemed to leave the goal looking massive and exposed. I thought at the time we'd concede. Great freekick, but can't help but feel it was made easier than it should have been.

Agree with that

I think regardless of where Rafael was standing, it’s likely it would gone in anyway because of how accurate it was but I did think at the time he’s slightly over too much to the side, gave away too large a portion of the goal

In saying that, was a sloppy freekick to give away. Players would have been aware of Wallace’s quality from set pieces, right before half time too, was slightly naive by Andy in an otherwise decent performance from him

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Nov 2020 07:28

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Kinda feel Rafa was suspect on the freekick. The wall set up and his positioning just seemed to leave the goal looking massive and exposed. I thought at the time we'd concede. Great freekick, but can't help but feel it was made easier than it should have been.

Agree with that

I think regardless of where Rafael was standing, it’s likely it would gone in anyway because of how accurate it was but I did think at the time he’s slightly over too much to the side, gave away too large a portion of the goal

In saying that, was a sloppy freekick to give away. Players would have been aware of Wallace’s quality from set pieces, right before half time too, was slightly naive by Andy in an otherwise decent performance from him

Think you may both be guilty of trying to apportion blame on Rafael there where there really isn't any to put on him. Wallace was always going for that spot as it is the highest percentage chance of success from that position. The wall was well placed to cover and Rafael placed himself to protect the other side and see the ball.

If he had been a step or two over and it had still gone in then some, not saying you 2, would say he was too far across and couldn't see the ball until it was too late and he should trust the wall.

Sometimes a free kick is just too good. The issue, if there was one, was, as URZZZ mentioned, giving away a free kick there in injury time. Or rather giving the ref the chance to give one, as not sure it was a foul.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Nov 2020 07:31

Snowflake Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
Snowflake Royal Kinda feel Rafa was suspect on the freekick. .

https://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=188120

I know I said I'd drop him. I would have dropped him. He pulled off a great save, didn't drop a clanger but was maybe a bit dodgy on the freekick. Get over it.

This isn't true, his positioning was perfect.

Before you decide to argue remember the qualifications I hold and experience I have playing the game. You won't win.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Nov 2020 07:49

SouthDownsRoyal
genome it's a funny old game. if you'd offered me 6th after 13 games at the start of the season I would've taken it straight away

Snap

Yep - same, think we may all have chosen a slightly different journey to get there - same points but with wins and defeats more spread out and a lot of people might feel more confident that they do now.

A win on Saturday will change all that of course.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2020 08:30

I think Pauno was fair when he said we seem to be inspiring the best shooters in the league. Yes we have conceded some goals due to really sloppy errors but also there has been some quality goals scored against us.

Dunno if it is fair to criticise the positioning from Rafael. Sure, the wall didn't even move and it was a very good free kick. I dont think he would have gotten to it if he was a bit more central anyway.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2020 08:32

Pepe the Horseman
Bristol Paul Stopped the rot is the positive but some piss poor performances in there, with Semedo and Ejaria both hopeless. Olise too clever for his own good, no point doing the flash stuff when he so often messes up the simple stuff. Holmes was excellent.

Holmes played well, but offered nothing going forward and gave away two chances which were easier than the ones Bournemouth scored from on Saturday, which Esteves was crucified for.

Big +1 to this. He looked fine but made errors that if Esteves ad made, half the fanbase would be erect while shouting "I told you he wouldn't be good enough for the Championship" from the rooftops.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Nov 2020 08:43

watching the highlights again. Can't blame Rafa for the goal, nothing you can do about that

Olise's assist was bloody brilliant though - inch perfect. Has to come in on Saturday you'd think

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 26 Nov 2020 08:46

Cant believe how bad Ejaria was last night. He needs to be in the middle. Also worrying was how poor Meite was as well. We obviously sacrificed playing football to avoid losing. To me that was one of our poorest performances of the season but from a pragmatic point of view we got a point. Just wouldn't want to watch that formula every game.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Nov 2020 08:50

paddy20 Cant believe how bad Ejaria was last night. He needs to be in the middle. Also worrying was how poor Meite was as well. We obviously sacrificed playing football to avoid losing. To me that was one of our poorest performances of the season but from a pragmatic point of view we got a point. Just wouldn't want to watch that formula every game.

Neither one of them had a bad game. Clueless.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2020 08:52

Old Man Andrews
paddy20 Cant believe how bad Ejaria was last night. He needs to be in the middle. Also worrying was how poor Meite was as well. We obviously sacrificed playing football to avoid losing. To me that was one of our poorest performances of the season but from a pragmatic point of view we got a point. Just wouldn't want to watch that formula every game.

Yeah, sorry Paddy. Wouldn't have picked either of them as having a poor game. Semedo and Rinomhota maybe, but not them.

Maybe they suffer because of the expectation for the exceptional?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Nov 2020 08:56

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

Yeah, sorry Paddy. Wouldn't have picked either of them as having a poor game. Semedo and Rinomhota maybe, but not them.

Meite, Ejaria and Joao came out of it very well I thought. Joao impresses me more and more each time I see him play. I know he can go missing at times and look disinterested but he has the ability to spark a game into life in an instant. His scoring record this season is amzing when you consider his numbers over the past few seasons, lethal.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Nov 2020 09:02

Thought Laurent had an ok game but just watching the highlights both of Millwalls clearcut chances (header over from 5 yards and Wallace's shot) both came from him losing a man or not spotting a run. Still overall, he played well but got lucky with those incidents.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2020 09:03

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews Neither one of them had a bad game. Clueless.

Meite, Ejaria and Joao came out of it very well I thought. Joao impresses me more and more each time I see him play. I know he can go missing at times and look disinterested but he has the ability to spark a game into life in an instant. His scoring record this season is amzing when you consider his numbers over the past few seasons, lethal.

Oh I agree. I think he can cut a frustrated figure at times, to borrow a well used football phrase, but there is no doubting his ability. He really can do it all. A complete forward imo. Yesterday he was up against a CB partnership that is up there with the best in the league and came out looking golden. They really had to foul him to stop him most times.

A trend we are seeing with a lot of our players actually. If the opposition doesn't foul them, they keep going. Perhaps they keep going too far in Semedo and Ejarias cases. But still. I thought that was a much jmproved performance.

I hate to credit them but The Second Tier podcast said a few weeks ago that if you jumbled up our results nobody would be asking any questions about us. Move a defeat back into the middle of our win streak and we look solid. It is only because these results have come in a row that we look poor when, actually, a lot of the performances in the defeats have been pretty good. Especially when compared to the last 2 seasons.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2020 09:07

They're spot on.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Nov 2020 09:09

Stranded
SouthDownsRoyal
genome it's a funny old game. if you'd offered me 6th after 13 games at the start of the season I would've taken it straight away

Snap

Yep - same, think we may all have chosen a slightly different journey to get there - same points but with wins and defeats more spread out and a lot of people might feel more confident that they do now.

Yeah agree with this as well.

4 defeats from 13 games is more than fine, it is just the manner of the defeats and the fact they all came in a row. Spread the 4 defeats over the 13 games a bit more evenly and people would 100% feel more confident.

A low-scoring draw was fine last night, stops the run of losing and conceding loads of goals.

I'd probably settle for the same again on Saturday, tbh, but would obviously love a win.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2020 09:20

Snowflake Royal They're spot on.

I gotta say Snowie, I'm impressed by how calm and collected you have been this season. Its hard for me to stay rational but you seem to have managed it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Nov 2020 09:36

Hendo
Stranded
SouthDownsRoyal
Snap

Yeah agree with this as well.

4 defeats from 13 games is more than fine, it is just the manner of the defeats and the fact they all came in a row. Spread the 4 defeats over the 13 games a bit more evenly and people would 100% feel more confident.

A low-scoring draw was fine last night, stops the run of losing and conceding loads of goals.

I'd probably settle for the same again on Saturday, tbh, but would obviously love a win.

Agree would take a draw even though that likely means a drop out of the top 7 as, as mentioned elsewhere, the run of 4 games coming up are "nicer" so heading into those undefeated for a couple of games should give the squad a lot more confidence. I'm looking at our opponents on Saturday as a model at the mo. They won their first 4, then only picked up 2/15 before a friendlier run has seen them pick up 10 from 12. No reason, based on most performances why we can't do something similar.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Nov 2020 09:56

NewCorkSeth

I gotta say Snowie, I'm impressed by how calm and collected you have been this season. Its hard for me to stay rational but you seem to have managed it.

Didn't he threaten to burn the Madejski Stadium to the ground when Bowen left?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2020 09:58

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth

Didn't he threaten to burn the Madejski Stadium to the ground when Bowen left?

If he did i have to say I'm surprised he could see the screen through the tears well enough to type it.

339 posts