MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a) sponsored by Ricky Newman

339 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a) sponsored by Ricky Newman

by paultheroyal » 26 Nov 2020 10:02

Absolute dire game and dire performance.

Keeper not to blame for free kick it was just a great goal end of.
It was never a free kick in first place.
Semedo, just don’t get him. Defensive midfielder playing forward and not doing either roles. Players just glide past him.
We need a better system. We are neither a width team nor have players who take the ball driving forward from the middle. So frustrating to watch.
Passes underhit or just wayward.
Let’s be honest, they missed two sitters and we have no sitters to talk about.
I was just incredibly frustrated after last night. It’s the fact the club teased us with this start but (and I want to be wrong) we are currently bang average with a lot of other bang average clubs.
However that’s an improvement on last season.

Enjoy your week.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Nov 2020 10:54

paddy20 Cant believe how bad Ejaria was last night. He needs to be in the middle. Also worrying was how poor Meite was as well. We obviously sacrificed playing football to avoid losing. To me that was one of our poorest performances of the season but from a pragmatic point of view we got a point. Just wouldn't want to watch that formula every game.

Ejaria is a useful player on the left, he gets back well and supports his fullback (Richards has had two good games in two since Ejaria has been back there), he gets more room out wide as opposed to the congested middle and I’m not sure he gets enough goals/assists to justify being the central attacking midfielder

I suppose there is an argument for shifting him to the middle but that’ll most likely involve shifting Olise out wide left where I really think his game will be negatively affected

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2020 11:04

Only just seen the replay of the foul for the free kick. Couldn't get much softer imo. Debatable whether it actually even is a foul.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2020 11:31

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal They're spot on.

I gotta say Snowie, I'm impressed by how calm and collected you have been this season. Its hard for me to stay rational but you seem to have managed it.

Didn't he threaten to burn the Madejski Stadium to the ground when Bowen left?

I'm amazed how the simple words "I'm done" can be interpreted in so many ways.

It's pretty easy to be calm when the club leadership has lost you and you're disillusioned. I've never gotten carried away by a few results good or bad, and I've always been content with the idea there's always next season to enjoy.

At the moment, our start should be enough to steer us clear of relegation. We finally have a squad that shows signs of improvement rather than decline (Rino, Laurent, Meite, Joao, Olise, Richards, McIntyre, Holmes, Southwood etc).

If we do well, I get to see us win regularly and we're showing improvement on recent seasons finally. If we do badly we're probably still safe and I get to say I told you so about sacking Bowen. Win - win for me.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2020 11:35

NewCorkSeth Only just seen the replay of the foul for the free kick. Couldn't get much softer imo. Debatable whether it actually even is a foul.

For me, Rino (unintentionally) catches him slightly as he's winding up to shoot.

I think the ref's got it spot on (unlike a lot of the rest of the game), but it's a tricky one.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 26 Nov 2020 11:43

Snowflake Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
Snowflake Royal Kinda feel Rafa was suspect on the freekick. .

https://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=188120

I know I said I'd drop him. I would have dropped him. He pulled off a great save, didn't drop a clanger but was maybe a bit dodgy on the freekick. Get over it.

I have nothing to ‘get over’ m8, no need to be so defensive

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2020 11:52

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Only just seen the replay of the foul for the free kick. Couldn't get much softer imo. Debatable whether it actually even is a foul.

For me, Rino (unintentionally) catches him slightly as he's winding up to shoot.

I think the ref's got it spot on (unlike a lot of the rest of the game), but it's a tricky one.

Its very hard to see where he touches him tbf. It looks like, judging by the way Parrott fell, he clips his foot. But I've watched it 8 or 9 times and you just can't see the contact. Doesn't look like a dive though either. Very natural fall.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2020 12:03

SouthDownsRoyal
Snowflake Royal

I know I said I'd drop him. I would have dropped him. He pulled off a great save, didn't drop a clanger but was maybe a bit dodgy on the freekick. Get over it.

:lol: yeah, that's why you quoted my post with a link to that thread. Good one.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 26 Nov 2020 12:43

Snowflake Royal

Agree, soft but did barge him as he wound up the shot

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2020 12:52

Bristol Paul
Snowflake Royal

Agree, soft but did barge him as he wound up the shot

Rino has a lot of form for that too,so if the ref had done his homework it may have filled in what he expected to see.

It's usually great to have a combative physical midfielder for a change, but it went wrong on this occasion.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Nov 2020 13:10

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Its very hard to see where he touches him tbf. It looks like, judging by the way Parrott fell, he clips his foot. But I've watched it 8 or 9 times and you just can't see the contact. Doesn't look like a dive though either. Very natural fall.

We are all guilty of being a bit RTG when it comes to our own team.
During commentary Tim and Mick got carried away when Meite was "fouled" on a break in the second half and thought that it wasn't a foull when Ejaria was booked.

Replays showed that both decisions were correct as was the case with the unnecessary foul leading to the Wallace free-kick.

Also in commentary, especially in the first half ,Tim was over-praising Holmes for everything he did, even the simplest of things.
I think he did ok but his limitations were a bit exposed in the second half especially when venturing forward and Millwall didn't (unlike Bournemouth) have a flying machine winger to worry about that.

Having said that, he probably did enough to get picked for Saturday with Yiadom presumably still on the sick list (again).
If only we had kept Gunter. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2020 13:18

We'll get way more from playing Holmes than Gunter. If Gunter was here Holmes wouldn't have played a minute and the twitterati wouldn't have had the dual pleasure of declaring Esteves the beat thing since sliced bread and then a totally shit waste of space

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 26 Nov 2020 13:29

Snowflake Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
Snowflake Royal I know I said I'd drop him. I would have dropped him. He pulled off a great save, didn't drop a clanger but was maybe a bit dodgy on the freekick. Get over it.

:lol: yeah, that's why you quoted my post with a link to that thread. Good one.

:|

I posted it in reply to someone who said

Side note: Rafael solid tonight. Whoever thought he should be dropped needs to give their head a wobble.

I hardly have any reason to ‘get over it’

LOL

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2020 13:31

South Coast Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal For me, Rino (unintentionally) catches him slightly as he's winding up to shoot.

We are all guilty of being a bit RTG when it comes to our own team.
During commentary Tim and Mick got carried away when Meite was "fouled" on a break in the second half and thought that it wasn't a foull when Ejaria was booked.

Replays showed that both decisions were correct as was the case with the unnecessary foul leading to the Wallace free-kick.

Also in commentary, especially in the first half ,Tim was over-praising Holmes for everything he did, even the simplest of things.
I think he did ok but his limitations were a bit exposed in the second half especially when venturing forward and Millwall didn't (unlike Bournemouth) have a flying machine winger to worry about that.

Having said that, he probably did enough to get picked for Saturday with Yiadom presumably still on the sick list (again).
If only we had kept Gunter. :wink:

I accept the decision of the ref and, if you look at my posting history, you will see i have frequently criticised Mick and Tim. Even last night in this thread I spoke about the over the top praise if Holmes, who was decent but not the generational talent Tim made him out to be.

Having rewatched the foul I was, and still am, surprised by how little was in it. Last night I thought Rinomhota pushed him with 2 hands on his back. Watching today you can see Parrott was already going down by the time Rinomhota got his hands on him so he must have clipped his foot. All my point was it that it must have been the tiniest bit of contact (which as anyone who has player rugby will know is all you need) as it is incredibly difficult to see exactly where he clipped him. Probably due to the angle.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2020 13:32

Snowflake Royal We'll get way more from playing Holmes than Gunter. If Gunter was here Holmes wouldn't have played a minute and the twitterati wouldn't have had the dual pleasure of declaring Esteves the beat thing since sliced bread and then a totally shit waste of space

Reckon HNA has been equally guilty of running hot and cold on Esteves as twitter. Not a good look fellas.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 26 Nov 2020 16:51

South Country Royal touched on something earlier about Bournemouth's speed hurting us down the flanks. If i remember correctly from the days Bournemouth were steam rollering the championship and then being the upstarts in the Premiership it was the sheer pace they had in there squad and the speed and slickness of their passing.
Pace hurts teams, it scares defenders to death....when was the last time we can honestly say we had some real pace in the team. Having two real speedsters on both flanks would change the whole dynamic of our squad, we could play Joao and Puscas up front in a 4-4-2 formation or even the current formation with either Joao or Puscas on there own with Olise floating in the free role off their shoulder.
Our play is to slow and lethargic, especially at home....we need to get our 2,000 fans off their seats lol....
Oh for two speedy wingers in the transfer window, however, i won't hold my breath.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Nov 2020 19:38

Snowflake Royal We'll get way more from playing Holmes than Gunter. If Gunter was here Holmes wouldn't have played a minute and the twitterati wouldn't have had the dual pleasure of declaring Esteves the beat thing since sliced bread and then a totally shit waste of space

Holmes > Gunter and he’s not even a right back.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Nov 2020 20:40

Crowbar6753 South Country Royal touched on something earlier about Bournemouth's speed hurting us down the flanks. If i remember correctly from the days Bournemouth were steam rollering the championship and then being the upstarts in the Premiership it was the sheer pace they had in there squad and the speed and slickness of their passing.
Pace hurts teams, it scares defenders to death....when was the last time we can honestly say we had some real pace in the team. Having two real speedsters on both flanks would change the whole dynamic of our squad, we could play Joao and Puscas up front in a 4-4-2 formation or even the current formation with either Joao or Puscas on there own with Olise floating in the free role off their shoulder.
Our play is to slow and lethargic, especially at home....we need to get our 2,000 fans off their seats lol....
Oh for two speedy wingers in the transfer window, however, i won't hold my breath.

Yep the one thing we totally failed to rectify in the summer was bring in a couple of wingers, Pace hurts.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2020 00:30

S'cuz we don't use wingers, innit.

There's a fair bit of disagreement about whether Ejaria is best wide left or central.

We are short on players who fit the left hand roll well, but with Ejaria, Olise, Baldock, Richards and Semedo we've got options.

And with Meite, Olise, Yiadom and Esteves, it'd be a bit pointless signing a RWinger.

Personally I think Swift, Ejaria, Olise and Semedo are all more central players and the first three are probably too many, worth switching one for a proper left forward, ideally a bit pacey and strong. But over the years we've seen they're hard to find. Boye.... yeesh.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Nov 2020 08:53

Snowflake Royal S'cuz we don't use wingers, innit.

There's a fair bit of disagreement about whether Ejaria is best wide left or central.

We are short on players who fit the left hand roll well, but with Ejaria, Olise, Baldock, Richards and Semedo we've got options.

And with Meite, Olise, Yiadom and Esteves, it'd be a bit pointless signing a RWinger.

Personally I think Swift, Ejaria, Olise and Semedo are all more central players and the first three are probably too many, worth switching one for a proper left forward, ideally a bit pacey and strong. But over the years we've seen they're hard to find. Boye.... yeesh.

oxf*rd it. Chuck Puscas out there. Basically play a 3 striker formation with Meite and him as Inside forwards, cutting in on alternating attacks. Leave the wide play to Richards and Whoever that weeks RB is, with Rinomhota and Laurent covering .

That leaves Olise, Joao and whichever of Laurinomhota isn't covering to stay central. 1 pivot, 1 AM and 1 forward. Sorted.

Edit: this was said in jest but I'm now considering it. Curse Football Manager.

------------------Rafael
Yiadom--Morro--Moore--Richards
------Rinomhota---Laurent
Meite-----------Olise------------Puscas
--------------------Joao

Gives us a strong bench too with Ejaria, Esteves, Swift and Semedo all capable of coming on and adding something different..

339 posts