by Jagermesiter1871 » 30 Dec 2020 22:15

Yeh he was shit again.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Time to drop Rafael?

by RoyalBlue » 30 Dec 2020 22:19

WoodleyRoyal Good. His ability has never been in question. He just needs to stop the clangers. Hopefully this post never need surface again

Not sure it 'needed' to surface in the first place. And I guarantee he will drop some more clangers in the future - every single keeper at every level does.

Outfield players drop clangers and more often than not get away with it. Goalkeepers drop clangers and more often than not concede a goal. They must be mad to play in that position, particularly when so many non-keepers are still expert in the trade! :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2020 22:21

Let's wait and see if the first shot from 18+ yards that isn't straight at him sails in shall we... had a similar game against Norwich.

:wink: just in case it wasn't obvious

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 30 Dec 2020 22:21

Of course. Not expecting him never to drop a clanger again :roll: but it was becoming a all too regular occurrence. Anyway we move on motm today. Long may it continue.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2020 12:43

Yeah there's never been any doubt he can pull off great saves. The issue is a) the cockups and the frequency of those cockups and b) the seeming inability to save shots from outside the area that seem to happen noticeably more than an average keeper's cockups per season.

An awesome keeper is said to be worth what, i dunno, 6-8 points a season?

How much does a shite keeper cost a team usually?

Where are we with the balance with Rafael? Ok so yesterday I'd argue he got us a point over and above what a standard keeper might. But I can think of several lost, or potentially lost (2-0 and still in the game going to 3-0 etc).

Perhaps this is even beyond Snowball's remit, but ideally we could have a more than just anecdotal memory assessment and go through each game and try to figure it out.

My guess before last night was that his excellence over and beyond a standard keeper had gained us only just less points than his idiocy cost us, but maybe that's harsh.

Would we rather have a bog standard no frills keeper who saves what he's expected to but does nothing spectacular and no cockups? Could that be Southwood?

Or will Rafael pick up his confidence (after last night?), learn how to stop shots from outside the box, stop making as many errors and become a hero.

IIRC Habsi was an error prone turd who turned it around.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Dec 2020 13:13

Millsy Yeah there's never been any doubt he can pull off great saves. The issue is a) the cockups and the frequency of those cockups and b) the seeming inability to save shots from outside the area that seem to happen noticeably more than an average keeper's cockups per season.

An awesome keeper is said to be worth what, i dunno, 6-8 points a season?

How much does a shite keeper cost a team usually?

Where are we with the balance with Rafael? Ok so yesterday I'd argue he got us a point over and above what a standard keeper might. But I can think of several lost, or potentially lost (2-0 and still in the game going to 3-0 etc).

Perhaps this is even beyond Snowball's remit, but ideally we could have a more than just anecdotal memory assessment and go through each game and try to figure it out.

My guess before last night was that his excellence over and beyond a standard keeper had gained us only just less points than his idiocy cost us, but maybe that's harsh.

Would we rather have a bog standard no frills keeper who saves what he's expected to but does nothing spectacular and no cockups? Could that be Southwood?

Or will Rafael pick up his confidence (after last night?), learn how to stop shots from outside the box, stop making as many errors and become a hero.

IIRC Habsi was an error prone turd who turned it around.

I’m guessing this is pretty much how VP is approaching it, except he knows more about it than I do and has a better idea of the relative merits of his keepers. It’s hard to say Southwood should play if you don’t actually know anything about him (and From the times I have seen him I wouldn’t day he is any more a ‘no frills’ keeper than Rafael but then I reckon Rafael is pretty much your standard, do the basics well, type keeper who has just had a short spell of being a bit off form.