MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (h) sponsored by Scott Murray

323 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (h) sponsored by Scott Murray

by Franchise FC » 28 Nov 2020 15:16

Hendo
Zip Joao worked harder today. Absolutely fantastic performance today. I think he’s now got 13 goals and 5 assists from 15 games this season which is ridiculous. I’m not sure I’ve seen a better centre forward at our club.He just needs to work harder at times because he is a PL quality player in every other respect.

Kitson is still the benchmark for me.

However, Joao is the closest player we’ve had to someone like that for a while. Yann can also be considered in that, but Joao is as close to a “complete forward” as you’re probably likely to see in this league.

At this level he’s close to unplayable

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 15:17

Zip Poster on the Cardiff City site I post on waxing lyrical about our fantastic players and attacking ability that as a Cardiff fan he could only dream of from his club.

Talk of Bowen going there :shock:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Nov 2020 15:17

Great performance.

In the first half City were set up to stop us. Mid-block with minimal pressing, letting our defenders sit on the ball and denying our forwards space. Worked really well but did also blunt their attacking threat.

in the second half they pressed a little more and it cost them, we started being much more dangerous on the counter and that only increased after the goal. Hunt and Da Silva didn't put in good defensive shifts.

Our front four is magic. Simple as that. Good balance of players who can threaten in behind and players who can pick them out. Olise and Meite had particularly good games today but taking nothing away from Ejaria and Joao. Honestly, we probably should have had five in the second half, Morrison's miss in particular was poor (but you can forgive a centre back). A great performance and really good management from Paunovic once again.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Nov 2020 15:20

Hendo
Zip Joao worked harder today. Absolutely fantastic performance today. I think he’s now got 13 goals and 5 assists from 15 games this season which is ridiculous. I’m not sure I’ve seen a better centre forward at our club.He just needs to work harder at times because he is a PL quality player in every other respect.

Kitson is still the benchmark for me.

However, Joao is the closest player we’ve had to someone like that for a while. Yann can also be considered in that, but Joao is as close to a “complete forward” as you’re probably likely to see in this league.

I think I still prefer Jason Roberts to Joao, but that's mostly about the combination of what he symbolised and getting to see him live. If Joao fires us to promotion with some crucial late winners then he'll take over.

Yann had his talents but he was much more of a penalty-box player, didn't have the all-round game of those three or Jimmy Quinn.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Nov 2020 15:26

Lower West
Old Man Andrews

Just a bit worried about burn out with him, especially over Christmas. I hope the manager considers using Meite up top rather than Puscas or Baldock should Joao need a rest, he's similar to Joao in many ways albeit not as clinical in front of goal.

Puscas is out for a while. As yet undetermined.

That’s disappointing.

retro royal

by retro royal » 28 Nov 2020 16:07

Great result, but we're down to the bare minimum 11 on the field, as soon as Semedo came on just looked different, he lost the ball easily, just hope we can get through to January in contention and strengthen, hopefully Swift back, but we need to spend some cash, both full backs and both right and left midfield, not easy to find in January. Hoped Esteves and Semedo would improve us, but they are poor

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Nov 2020 16:31

Swift, yiadom, Puscas and Araruna to come back would provide that depth

Obvs depends on if they do come back and any other injuries we pick up. Think we’re ok at the moment to be honest, got a bit on the bench to turn to

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Nov 2020 16:36

retro royal Great result, but we're down to the bare minimum 11 on the field, as soon as Semedo came on just looked different, he lost the ball easily, just hope we can get through to January in contention and strengthen, hopefully Swift back, but we need to spend some cash, both full backs and both right and left midfield, not easy to find in January. Hoped Esteves and Semedo would improve us, but they are poor

Semedo has generally been pretty good and Esteves is excellent going forward, probably more the left midfield cover than full back,. We’re comfortable at left back and right back so would not see any point in buying yet more cover.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Nov 2020 16:43

Nameless
retro royal Great result, but we're down to the bare minimum 11 on the field, as soon as Semedo came on just looked different, he lost the ball easily, just hope we can get through to January in contention and strengthen, hopefully Swift back, but we need to spend some cash, both full backs and both right and left midfield, not easy to find in January. Hoped Esteves and Semedo would improve us, but they are poor

Semedo has generally been pretty good and Esteves is excellent going forward, probably more the left midfield cover than full back,. We’re comfortable at left back and right back so would not see any point in buying yet more cover.

Is he excellent though? Holmes has provided a greater goal threat and has linked up better with the other players from what I’ve seen

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Nov 2020 16:48

CountryRoyal
Zip Poster on the Cardiff City site I post on waxing lyrical about our fantastic players and attacking ability that as a Cardiff fan he could only dream of from his club.

Better than what they’ve currently got

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Nov 2020 16:50

3points
CountryRoyal

Better than what they’ve currently got

Deserves a second crack. Decent manager.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Nov 2020 16:53

Notts Royal
Nameless

Is he excellent though? Holmes has provided a greater goal threat and has linked up better with the other players from what I’ve seen

He’s certainly not poor !
Esteves has had some racking long shots , how Holmes has been moreof a threat I cannot see. Very different players and i’d Prefer Holmes for his defensive solidity and height . However labelling Semedo and Esteves as poor is just head shaking....

retro royal

by retro royal » 28 Nov 2020 17:07

Nameless
Notts Royal
Nameless

Esteves has had some racking long shots , how Holmes has been moreof a threat I cannot see. Very different players and i’d Prefer Holmes for his defensive solidity and height . However labelling Semedo and Esteves as poor is just head shaking....

Sorry Nameless, all I've seen Esteves do is pass backwards, he looks to have a good free kick in him, but he's useless at positioning himself, looks like a school boy not wanting to get hurt and generally seems to lack pace, I'd send him back to Portugal personally.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Nov 2020 17:13

Esteves is a decent player. He's made a couple of mistakes, lost a bit of confidence, but clearly has a bright future. He's currently a good back up and option on the bench, I'm expecting him to be more regular in the second half of the season

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 17:13

retro royal
Nameless
Notts Royal

Sorry Nameless, all I've seen Esteves do is pass backwards, he looks to have a good free kick in him, but he's useless at positioning himself, looks like a school boy not wanting to get hurt and generally seems to lack pace, I'd send him back to Portugal personally.

I certainly wouldn’t send him back. He’s fine for back up and could do a job off the bench further forward, but hopefully we’ve seen the last of him at the back. One day he may very well develop into a good right back but it won’t be with us and it won’t be this season. His main issue is positioning and it’s not something you can just pick up in a few games, he needs the experience but we can’t afford to give it to him at the expense of our own results.

Semedo is a weird one, I think he fits what Forest fans said of him. I see him as an attack minded defensive midfielder but it’s a struggle to see what he tangibly offers at either hand. He’s not creative enough, or even technically good enough to play in the middle as an attacking midfielder and his positional sense is awful to play in Laurent/rino role. Again, in the right circumstances he’s fine off the bench but like Esteves I don’t want to see them starting.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Nov 2020 17:22

CountryRoyal
retro royal
Nameless

I certainly wouldn’t send him back. He’s fine for back up and could do a job off the bench further forward, but hopefully we’ve seen the last of him at the back. One day he may very well develop into a good right back but it won’t be with us and it won’t be this season. His main issue is positioning and it’s not something you can just pick up in a few games, he needs the experience but we can’t afford to give it to him at the expense of our own results.

Semedo is a weird one, I think he fits what Forest fans said of him. I see him as an attack minded defensive midfielder but it’s a struggle to see what he tangibly offers at either hand. He’s not creative enough, or even technically good enough to play in the middle as an attacking midfielder and his positional sense is awful to play in Laurent/rino role. Again, in the right circumstances he’s fine off the bench but like Esteves I don’t want to see them starting.

Semedo and Esteves don’t make our starting XI, because we’ve got plenty of better options.
To call either ‘poor’ is simply daft .

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 17:31

Nameless
CountryRoyal
retro royal

Semedo and Esteves don’t make our starting XI, because we’ve got plenty of better options.
To call either ‘poor’ is simply daft .

I didn’t see they were. I just said I don’t want them starting, which up until today they were (some games due to necessity admittedly, however others not).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Nov 2020 17:58

At some point Rino and Laurent will get injured or need a rest. Semedo will be good to come in

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 28 Nov 2020 17:58

South Coast Royal
Mid Sussex Royal Happy with team and with a draw today - will be a close game

Anyone know how far off Puscas is from returning? If Joao got injured we've nothing up front

If we have top 6 ambitions this is a game that we should win.
With what is available am happy with the line-up.
It looks as though he has sussed Aluko.

And hopefully Puscas too.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 28 Nov 2020 18:05

CountryRoyal
retro royal
Nameless

So would I, along with a few others.

323 posts