SnowballRG19

Re: BTFF Millwall

by SnowballRG19 » 26 Nov 2020 14:16

Test

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Nov 2020 15:25

One last talking of absolutely zero significance. Who is BodvarDson?

Dellor seems to have invented a new player?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Nov 2020 15:25

yuomi Once again, Ovie was unimpressive last night. For his 5% of brilliance and moments of creative inspiration we're really toiling through the 95% of slow, overcomplicated gifting of the ball to the opposition, shanking/pulling selfish shots high/wide and generally killing momentum.

He's not a LW, Semedo isn't an AM. I'm not sure why Pauno keeps hoping otherwise.

Dont think his shots were wayward, well, they might of been but dont mind him trying. Agree with other parts. Rather stick him in middle where Semedo is as i am struggling to see what he is bringing to his team or what his role is. He is so easy to get past and runs like a trawler in chasing back.

yuomi

by yuomi » 26 Nov 2020 15:33

paultheroyal
yuomi Once again, Ovie was unimpressive last night. For his 5% of brilliance and moments of creative inspiration we're really toiling through the 95% of slow, overcomplicated gifting of the ball to the opposition, shanking/pulling selfish shots high/wide and generally killing momentum.

He's not a LW, Semedo isn't an AM. I'm not sure why Pauno keeps hoping otherwise.

Dont think his shots were wayward, well, they might of been but dont mind him trying. Agree with other parts. Rather stick him in middle where Semedo is as i am struggling to see what he is bringing to his team or what his role is. He is so easy to get past and runs like a trawler in chasing back.

Shots was more a reference to his game generally than last night in particular.

Agree he and Olise should be fighting for or rotating the spot behind Joao, it's clearly where they're both best and where they actually want to play.

I'm equally nonplussed by Semedo. Energetic but ineffective.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 26 Nov 2020 15:36

This. The commentators on sky for the Bournemouth game kept banging on about how Pauno is known the play players out of position I.e Semdo but why? Just seems stupid to me.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Nov 2020 16:06

Snowflake Royal
muirinho
Snowflake Royal The foul on Joao started outside the box, he only fell inside

The only pass to no one I remember from Olise was when Joao gave him an unexpected and and awful pass he had to volley out to the right wing.

The pass from Olise for our goal was an absolute beauty. As you both missed it (or misidentified who it was from), here it is. Feast for the eyes.
https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/13 ... 1906201600

Er... I didn't miss it, that bold bit wasn't anything to do with the goal

Sorry, I misread it. I was probably still in shock from the previous comment

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2020 16:08

muirinho
Snowflake Royal
muirinho
The pass from Olise for our goal was an absolute beauty. As you both missed it (or misidentified who it was from), here it is. Feast for the eyes.
https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/13 ... 1906201600

Er... I didn't miss it, that bold bit wasn't anything to do with the goal

Sorry, I misread it. I was probably still in shock from the previous comment

Fair enough :lol:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Nov 2020 17:05

Millsy Ok, as there isn't one yet, here goes...

Disappointing that we didn't win but on balance many positives, away point, defence looked very solid, Rafa back to his best.

Rafael 8. Yes I know, this will raise eyebrows and it's probably a reaction to the negativity towards him here, but he showed us how important he is with one fantastic save to tip over the bar what should've been a certain goal. I was upset at him just standing there for their goal, but looking at replays I think it that's harsh
Holmes - 8 another big positive. Unfair on Esteves I know as he was probably encouraged to go forward more, but Holmes is one solid big tough gutsy defender. He worked his bollox off and his passion really showed. Some great interceptions, brilliant little moves. The place is his to lose for sure. At the risk of sounding like our resident Nazi troll tosser, I'd rather see our homegrown players develop than be a training platform for foreign wonderkids who'll bugger off after making a tonne of mistakes with us.
M&M - 6.5 actually I can't fault them, they did a good enough job. I know we let a goal in but that was a phenomenal set piece. in open play the back 5 looked very solid and I'm delighted at that.
Richards - 6.5 See above
Rino - 7. Immense. Really good performance all round
Laurent - 8 Immense+ The guy doesn't stop running. Back to his best.
Semedo - 5.5 I thought he was disappointing, not up to his usual high standard at all. Nowhere to be seen most of the time but then did pop up with some good bits at times
Ejaria - 5 I feel bad giving my boyfriend such a low score, but I'm sorry it just wasn't his night last night
Meite - 6 Disappointing for him, but a much needed return.
Joao - 7 His goal was brilliant, harder than the chance he missed. Generally a real pest all game for them. I love the guy.

Subs//

Olise - 5 Sorry I just didn't see anything good from him. Seemed like a different player to usual, strange passes to noone. [EDIT after corrections, thanks - he assisted for Joaos goal. 5 is harsh, 6 more fair. Thanks guys.]
Baldock - N/A Maybe someone can teach me something here, but I've never understood substitutions with 30seconds to go. Ok it turned out to be 5mins stoppage but still. I understand there can be reasons like injury, or you've just gone behind/ahead, but when it's just been same-old for ages I dont' see why suddenly with 30s to go we feel swapping a player is going to benefit anyone. If it's a good idea it's a good idea with 15mins to go, not 30s.

Pauno - 6. He rightly took Semedo off. He rightly brought Holmes in and drummed into him he needs to defend. He rightly got the boys to look for a winner. He rightly didn't drop Rafael and that paid off and hopefully will continue to. But I can't be too excited about a 1-1 draw with Millwall hence 6. He set his own bar too high.

Ref - 4 He seemed to miss so much for both sides, I don't understand it.

Talking points

1) Seemed a definite penalty for us, Joao was dragged down inside the box, how it was a FK outside I just don't understand

2) Holmes could be a rising star

3) Olise and Ejaria in danger of getting complacent

I would say your edited version is pretty much spot on. A sublime pass from Olise for Joao's goal and another smart exchange with the same player that nearly saw Joao steal it at the death. That's the real plus side with him and why people clamour for him to be in the starting line up. However, IMO he was pretty disappointing for a lot of the rest of the time. I suspect VP and his coaching staff might have thought the same and will talk that through with him.

And, other than playing to the whims of of his expert goalkeeping critics, there was little point in Rafael moving for that freekick. Having lined his wall up to protect that side of the goal and positioned himself to protect his left, he was beaten all hands down by a great freekick that swerved over/around the end of the wall with pace. Keepers sometimes know when they're well and truly beaten and can maybe look more stupid by making a movement towards the ball and getting nowhere near it. As for the bloke who messaged BBCRB to say his granny could have saved the freekick - that remark was greeted with the cynicism it fully deserved from Mick and Tim.

Really late substitutions e.g. Baldock. Maybe to run down the clock (officials rarely add enough time), break up the other side's momentum?
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 26 Nov 2020 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Nov 2020 17:09

In the case of Semedo probably because he's trying to kill two birds with one stone. He wants to do a bit more when we're attacking but realises that we still need to shore up the defence. Semedo has got some attacking ability as he demonstrated against Bournemouth but he's also strong and not afraid to get really stuck into the dirty side of the game, breaking up the opposition's play and helping to defend from the front/midfield.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2020 17:20

RoyalBlue
Millsy Ok, as there isn't one yet, here goes...

Disappointing that we didn't win but on balance many positives, away point, defence looked very solid, Rafa back to his best.

Rafael 8. Yes I know, this will raise eyebrows and it's probably a reaction to the negativity towards him here, but he showed us how important he is with one fantastic save to tip over the bar what should've been a certain goal. I was upset at him just standing there for their goal, but looking at replays I think it that's harsh
Holmes - 8 another big positive. Unfair on Esteves I know as he was probably encouraged to go forward more, but Holmes is one solid big tough gutsy defender. He worked his bollox off and his passion really showed. Some great interceptions, brilliant little moves. The place is his to lose for sure. At the risk of sounding like our resident Nazi troll tosser, I'd rather see our homegrown players develop than be a training platform for foreign wonderkids who'll bugger off after making a tonne of mistakes with us.
M&M - 6.5 actually I can't fault them, they did a good enough job. I know we let a goal in but that was a phenomenal set piece. in open play the back 5 looked very solid and I'm delighted at that.
Richards - 6.5 See above
Rino - 7. Immense. Really good performance all round
Laurent - 8 Immense+ The guy doesn't stop running. Back to his best.
Semedo - 5.5 I thought he was disappointing, not up to his usual high standard at all. Nowhere to be seen most of the time but then did pop up with some good bits at times
Ejaria - 5 I feel bad giving my boyfriend such a low score, but I'm sorry it just wasn't his night last night
Meite - 6 Disappointing for him, but a much needed return.
Joao - 7 His goal was brilliant, harder than the chance he missed. Generally a real pest all game for them. I love the guy.

Subs//

Olise - 5 Sorry I just didn't see anything good from him. Seemed like a different player to usual, strange passes to noone. [EDIT after corrections, thanks - he assisted for Joaos goal. 5 is harsh, 6 more fair. Thanks guys.]
Baldock - N/A Maybe someone can teach me something here, but I've never understood substitutions with 30seconds to go. Ok it turned out to be 5mins stoppage but still. I understand there can be reasons like injury, or you've just gone behind/ahead, but when it's just been same-old for ages I dont' see why suddenly with 30s to go we feel swapping a player is going to benefit anyone. If it's a good idea it's a good idea with 15mins to go, not 30s.

Pauno - 6. He rightly took Semedo off. He rightly brought Holmes in and drummed into him he needs to defend. He rightly got the boys to look for a winner. He rightly didn't drop Rafael and that paid off and hopefully will continue to. But I can't be too excited about a 1-1 draw with Millwall hence 6. He set his own bar too high.

Ref - 4 He seemed to miss so much for both sides, I don't understand it.

Talking points

1) Seemed a definite penalty for us, Joao was dragged down inside the box, how it was a FK outside I just don't understand

2) Holmes could be a rising star

3) Olise and Ejaria in danger of getting complacent

I would say your edited version is pretty much spot on. A sublime pass from Olise for Joao's goal and another smart exchange with the same player that nearly saw Joao steal it at the death. That's the real plus side with him and why people clamour for him to be in the starting line up. However, IMO he was pretty disappointing for a lot of the rest of the time. I suspect VP and his coaching staff might have thought the same and will talk that through with him.

And, other than playing to the whims of of his expert goalkeeping critics, there was little point in Rafael moving for that freekick. Having lined his wall up to protect that side of the goal and positioned himself to protect his left, he was beaten all hands down by a great freekick that swerved over/around the end of the wall with pace. Keepers sometimes know when they're well and truly beaten and can maybe look more stupid by making a movement towards the ball and getting nowhere near it. As for the bloke who messaged BBCRB to say his granny could have saved the freekick - that remark was greeted with the cynicism it fully deserved from Mick and Tim.

Really late substitutions e.g. Baldock. Maybe to run down the clock (officials rarely add enough time), break up the other side's momentum?

late subs are used to both eat up time and break momentum and to steal extra seconds depending on how quickly the outgoing player goes off. It's why you'll often see multiple subs from the same team in the last few minutes rather than a double substitution

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Nov 2020 17:23

Baffled by some of the low marks for Olise. He was only on the pitch for 45 minutes and managed an assist and nearly got another. He was our only creative outlet.
I thought both Ejaria and Meite were poor and Semedo looked lost. Richards had a sluggish start but in the second half he was outstanding.