MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (a) sponsored by Jack Witham

411 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (a) sponsored by Jack Witham

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Nov 2020 09:26

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Zip Wednesday have only scored seven League goals this season but they have only let in twelve. So just nineteen goals in their fourteen games this season.
Only Blackburn have scored more than us.

Thats nuts. How has Toney scored 60% of Brentfords goals?

I hate to go all "praising Brentford" again but how did nobody spot Toney at Peterborough before Brentford? Surely some lower PL teams should have been all over that.

I think everyone had spotted him to be fair. Which is why they ended up spending up to 10m on him, and he basically had his pick of teams. Its a big jump from Div1 to the Prem though, can see why nobody gambled from the Prem

Could this not be a bit of a lesson to some PL clubs? Newcastle for example spending £40 million on Joelinton the summer after they let Toney and Armstrong leave?

Cant see why teams like West Ham, Palace, Newcastle and the like didnt see him and take the punt.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Nov 2020 09:43

maybe - though whose to say he'd be a success in the Prem?

I think generally PL teams like to see a striker really stand out for a season or two in the champ first.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Nov 2020 09:52

Hound maybe - though whose to say he'd be a success in the Prem?

I think generally PL teams like to see a striker really stand out for a season or two in the champ first.

Fair. Sign him and loan him back for a season? Like Chelsea did with Michael Hector.

Just feel that the whole "give em a few seasons in the championship" is how you end up buying Hugill for 10 million then selling him for 5 a few years down the line.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Nov 2020 09:58

NewCorkSeth
Zip Wednesday have only scored seven League goals this season but they have only let in twelve. So just nineteen goals in their fourteen games this season.

Thats nuts. How has Toney scored 60% of Brentfords goals?

I hate to go all "praising Brentford" again but how did nobody spot Toney at Peterborough before Brentford? Surely some lower PL teams should have been all over that.

They did pay a fair whack for him. Money that we simply cannot spend at the moment.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Nov 2020 10:15

NewCorkSeth
Hound maybe - though whose to say he'd be a success in the Prem?

Fair. Sign him and loan him back for a season? Like Chelsea did with Michael Hector.

Just feel that the whole "give em a few seasons in the championship" is how you end up buying Hugill for 10 million then selling him for 5 a few years down the line.

ha, yeah that didnt work out so well. I agree that scouting systems should be a bit better than that really though- but suppose it shows how much cash they've got to play with that they'll happily pay 30m for Watkins rather than take the gamble and pick him up for a fraction of that the season before

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 Nov 2020 10:30

Barney Be honest folks...

a) Do you know who Jack Witham is ?
b) Did you ever see him play ?
c) Did you ever see him score for us ?

I'm in for the first two, but I will be staggered if anyone banks three out of three.

yep, same. I remember him "very well", but of course did not see him score his hattrick at Hartlepool.

I was 14.

ps it's Jack Whitham, not Witham

pps I just checked on wiki, he scored 7 goals in 15 top flight appearances for Liverpool, which is pretty impressive.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Nov 2020 12:42

I don't fear the low scoring, keep it tight sides. Sooner or later we'll get a chance. It's the one with solid scoring records I worry about...

Of the division top 10 scorers - we've played 6 out of 9, lost 3, won 3, I think.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Nov 2020 16:15

Everyone else is presumably hoping Joao is fired up for this one right?

Would be nice for a lot of their fans to see he might actually have been worth more than they got.

Although they have been pretty complimentary havent they?

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 30 Nov 2020 19:28

If we are going to go up we need to be beating your Sheffield Wednesdays...

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 Nov 2020 19:47

Decent squad up at Weds. Good midweek battle for Rino and Laurent on the cards. Bannan, Kachunga, Izzy Brown all decent playmakers. Reach, Rhodes and Paterson can do damage on their day. Seems they’ve been let down by a weak defensive line. Can’t wait for this.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Dec 2020 13:53

Rumours of Joao and Meite both being injured. Meite had his ankle in ice after the City game and Joao said to be in treatment room yesterday. JLow speculates both should make the game but nonetheless is a worry particularly with Puscas crocked with a “sports” hernia and Reading’s recent no issue “minor injury” record.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Dec 2020 14:44

Regarding Whitham I naively had high hopes for him when he signed.

Regrettably he became just one of the many old crocks that we foolishly signed over the years including:-
Ron Tindall
Les Ferdinand
Yakubu
Martin Keown
Anton Ferdinand
John O'Shea

Two however that I can think of who did become crocks but made significant contributions previously were Jason Roberts and Yann Kermorgant.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 01 Dec 2020 17:20

South Coast Royal Regarding Whitham I naively had high hopes for him when he signed.

Regrettably he became just one of the many old crocks that we foolishly signed over the years including:-
Ron Tindall
Les Ferdinand
Yakubu
Martin Keown
Anton Ferdinand
John O'Shea

Two however that I can think of who did become crocks but made significant contributions previously were Jason Roberts and Yann Kermorgant.

Crikey I have been around a long time;but I had to look up Ron Tindall.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 01 Dec 2020 17:23

Westwood52
South Coast Royal Regarding Whitham I naively had high hopes for him when he signed.

Ron Tindall
Les Ferdinand
Yakubu
Martin Keown
Anton Ferdinand
John O'Shea

And 12 goals in 36 games.Went on to play a lot of games for Pompey.Bit of a white flannel expert as well.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Dec 2020 17:27

Westwood52
Westwood52

Ron Tindall
Les Ferdinand
Yakubu
Martin Keown
Anton Ferdinand
John O'Shea

And 12 goals in 36 games.Went on to play a lot of games for Pompey.Bit of a white flannel expert as well.

That's right-Surrey (?)
IIRC we bought Ernie Yard on the same day and they both played the next night.

It was one of those (many) occasions when we thought we might then have a good enough team for promotion but it was quite a few years in coming.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 01 Dec 2020 18:09

South Coast Royal
Westwood52
Westwood52

That's right-Surrey (?)
IIRC we bought Ernie Yard on the same day and they both played the next night.

It was one of those (many) occasions when we thought we might then have a good enough team for promotion but it was quite a few years in coming.

Tindall came with Johnny Petts in 1962. Both disasters. Ernie Yard was a few years later and an instant success.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 01 Dec 2020 18:51

It’s supposed to be on Sky Sports football tonight,not the red button.With Rothers on main event after the cricket.Although my guide just mentions Rothers on Sky Sports football and the main event.I assume it will be on the red button if the Sky guide is right.
Anybody know what’s happening ?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Dec 2020 18:52

Westwood52 It’s supposed to be on Sky Sports football tonight,not the red button.With Rothers on main event after the cricket.Although my guide just mentions Rothers on Sky Sports football and the main event.I assume it will be on the red button if the Sky guide is right.

We're playing tomorrow.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 01 Dec 2020 18:58

tidus_mi2
Westwood52 It’s supposed to be on Sky Sports football tonight,not the red button.With Rothers on main event after the cricket.Although my guide just mentions Rothers on Sky Sports football and the main event.I assume it will be on the red button if the Sky guide is right.

We're playing tomorrow.

So I have just been told.They are letting me out tomorrow.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Dec 2020 20:01

Good opportunity for us to keep a clean sheet having failed to do so in 6 matches.

Play the same team as Saturday, keep it tight and give nothing away then hit Sheffield Wednesday with the counter attack. We're clinical enough to score at least one chance even if we get just a few in the match.

411 posts