How good is Yakou Meite?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: How good is Yakou Meite?

by Maguire » 29 Nov 2020 21:51

Better than the sum of his parts. Bit like Michail Antonio in that respect - they don't really look like they're good at football but they're incredibly effective.

He's got tonnes of enthusiasm too, definitely not a surly wideboy like some modern professionals.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Nov 2020 22:00

Maguire Better than the sum of his parts. Bit like Michail Antonio in that respect - they don't really look like they're good at football but they're incredibly effective.

He's got tonnes of enthusiasm too, definitely not a surly wideboy like some modern professionals.

Thank God that the club actually spotted the potential in Meite this time, unlike the situation with Antonio.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2020 22:04

RoyalBlue
Maguire Better than the sum of his parts. Bit like Michail Antonio in that respect - they don't really look like they're good at football but they're incredibly effective.

Thank God that the club actually spotted the potential in Meite this time, unlike the situation with Antonio.

The difference is this time we didn't have several players who were better, whilst being promoted.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Nov 2020 00:13

Zip He is a Reading FC legend.

Corrected for you.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Nov 2020 00:27

Hands up, he's proved me wrong on two different occasions now. I thought he lacked the basic attributes to be a Championship player but his whole game has refined so much since last Christmas time. I think it helps being stuck to one position too, felt he was shifted a bit too much under Gomes between striker and out wide, always felt he was more complete playing out wide

As a couple of others have pointed out, he does sometimes stand out when having a poor game. But I think that's more because he's always battling, trying to get involved and not shirking, as seen by so many of our players in recent years

Personally feel his role is now the most important in this current team besides the duo of Laurent and Rinomhota

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Nov 2020 07:25

RoyalBlue

Indeed, the club obviously had no idea what Antonio could do, they only plucked him out of non league obscurity because he had a funny name....

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Nov 2020 09:19

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

The difference is this time we didn't have several players who were better, whilst being promoted.

Agreed, I really don't think that Antonio would be the player he is now if he had stayed at Reading as his development wouldn't have been the same.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Nov 2020 09:19

URZZZZ Hands up, he's proved me wrong on two different occasions now. I thought he lacked the basic attributes to be a Championship player but his whole game has refined so much since last Christmas time. I think it helps being stuck to one position too, felt he was shifted a bit too much under Gomes between striker and out wide, always felt he was more complete playing out wide

As a couple of others have pointed out, he does sometimes stand out when having a poor game. But I think that's more because he's always battling, trying to get involved and not shirking, as seen by so many of our players in recent years

Personally feel his role is now the most important in this current team besides the duo of Laurent and Rinomhota

I'm glad he has convinced you. Well done for holding your hands up. I dont think I would have if that wasteful shite Boye had turned good.. :lol:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Nov 2020 11:17

Nameless
RoyalBlue

Indeed, the club obviously had no idea what Antonio could do, they only plucked him out of non league obscurity because he had a funny name....

I saw him play in a friendly at Kingston before he was released. I thought he looked really good in that game (although IIRC it was a pretty poor team performance that game, which may have made him stand out as an individual from the rest) and was surprised when we let him go.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Nov 2020 11:23

RoyalBlue
Nameless
RoyalBlue

I saw him play in a friendly at Kingston before he was released. I thought he looked really good in that game (although IIRC it was a pretty poor team performance that game, which may have made him stand out as an individual from the rest) and was surprised when we let him go.

He wasn’t released, he was sold because he was fifth choice and had no prospect of making the first team with Kebe, McAnuff, McCleary and Robson-Kanu all streets ahead of him. Anyone can look good against Kingston but Antonio hadn’t been up to the Championship and certainly wasn’t ready for the Premier League. We made the right decision.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Nov 2020 12:07

In answer to the thread title, he's certainly no Antonio, but unlike Antonio current establishment see him better than what we have so run in team is benefiting him.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 30 Nov 2020 12:16

I remember Yakou Meite having intense interest from the premier league which is why we never heard rumours about him joining until he was actually announced. He’s the perfect build for a championship winger. He’s tall, strong and incredibly quick- the run for the third goal was utterly brilliant. He’s shown he’s not a striker, he needs to drift in as for some reason it just works but he can also dribble out wide and track back which is vital for a formation like ours. He has flaws which holds him back. His technical ability is very weak for this level. He has his moments where he loses his cool. Inconsistent- has absolute stinkers and is a very frustrating player although I feel like he’s starting to deliver more often than not. Clearly a likeable fella too in the dressing room, even though he’s had some horrible things happen to him lately such as losing his dad, racial abuse on social media he seems to always pull through.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Nov 2020 14:10

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ Hands up, he's proved me wrong on two different occasions now. I thought he lacked the basic attributes to be a Championship player but his whole game has refined so much since last Christmas time. I think it helps being stuck to one position too, felt he was shifted a bit too much under Gomes between striker and out wide, always felt he was more complete playing out wide

I'm glad he has convinced you. Well done for holding your hands up. I dont think I would have if that wasteful shite Boye had turned good.. :lol:

Our arrangement didn’t come to an end when Boye left :o

In all seriousness, he’s one of the strangest players we’ve ever had, he was capable of dribbling round three or four in a mazy run and then giving away a simple 2 yard pass

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Nov 2020 16:12

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

Our arrangement didn’t come to an end when Boye left :o

In all seriousness, he’s one of the strangest players we’ve ever had, he was capable of dribbling round three or four in a mazy run and then giving away a simple 2 yard pass

Yup. I'm sure if he had a run he could have been more effective but it was staggering that almost every time he stepped on the pitch he would do something incredible then immediately lose the ball.

He was kinda like an out of form Ejaria. All sizzle no steak.

He scored a good goal for Elche not long ago and all the usual twitter folk were out saying "I told you he was amazing" etc.. Immediately followed that up with some poor performances.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Nov 2020 17:55

paultheroyal In answer to the thread title, he's certainly no Antonio, but unlike Antonio current establishment see him better than what we have so run in team is benefiting him.

He’s probably slightly ahead of Antonio in terms of development at their relevant age. Think when Antonio was 24 he was having his first season at Forest when he scored mid double figures.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 30 Nov 2020 17:57

Yup, this.

Actually, I'll come clean. SWLR and I refer to Yakou as the BoC - because his first touch was (and pretty much still is) truly awful for a professional footballer at any level. Having said that, he is Mr Enthusiasm, runs his nuts off, and has scored - and made - some bangers, too. It's clear he's done a lot of work on technique and movement over the past six months.

His brother is an awfully nice chap, too. :oops:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Nov 2020 18:00

SHunt was another. Technically really not that good, but so committed he got the rub of the green often enough to make it count.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 30 Nov 2020 18:24

^^ good description that