285 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (h) sponsored by Neil Webb

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2020 12:36

NewCorkSeth
WestYorksRoyal
Stranded
Yeah absolutely - I don't think it is any surprise that we had our poor run mainly whilst we were without Ejaria, Moore and Meite.

The big one is Joao. I know we beat Watford without him, but I don't see how we could have a sustainable run of form if he got a longer term injury.

On the other hand, our achievements without Swift and Yiadom are very impressive. If you'd told people pre season that they'd barely play in 2020 and we'd be 4th, you'd have been met with skepticism.

Swift is probably the best player in the league that is unlikely to make it into the first XI.

How many teams can boast a player of his quality that might not start?

Although given how Pauno has used Semedo ahead of Olise, Swift might be straight back into the team. All I know is at least 9 positions in our team are set. GK, the 2 CBs, LB, the 2 CMs, Meite, Ejaria and Joao. Olise probably should be number 10 but Pauno takes him off an awful lot. RB is the only position where there is a few options that are about equal right now.

We had our best performance without Ejaria IMO... Blackburn was great.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Dec 2020 12:37

Brizzle was better than Blackburn

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2020 12:40

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
WestYorksRoyal The big one is Joao. I know we beat Watford without him, but I don't see how we could have a sustainable run of form if he got a longer term injury.

On the other hand, our achievements without Swift and Yiadom are very impressive. If you'd told people pre season that they'd barely play in 2020 and we'd be 4th, you'd have been met with skepticism.

Swift is probably the best player in the league that is unlikely to make it into the first XI.

Although given how Pauno has used Semedo ahead of Olise, Swift might be straight back into the team. All I know is at least 9 positions in our team are set. GK, the 2 CBs, LB, the 2 CMs, Meite, Ejaria and Joao. Olise probably should be number 10 but Pauno takes him off an awful lot. RB is the only position where there is a few options that are about equal right now.

Right, but Semedo was exceptional that game. I know Ejaria isn't your type of player but he's been more consistent and consistently effective than Semedo has.

Ejarias place is set imo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2020 12:44

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Swift is probably the best player in the league that is unlikely to make it into the first XI.

Right, but Semedo was exceptional that game. I know Ejaria isn't your type of player but he's been more consistent and consistently effective than Semedo has.

Agreed he's better than Semedo.

Still rather have:

New LF.......Olise / Ejaria / Swift ......Meite

And in that order of preference

And I'd be very hesitant of playing Swift and Ejaria in the same side given their tendency to slow it down.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Dec 2020 12:49

genome Brizzle was better than Blackburn

This.

Blackburn was pretty nervous throughout the second half as they looked very dangerous going forward.

Bristol, I thought we looked much more composed and they didn't really threaten too much.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2020 12:54

Hendo

This.

Blackburn was pretty nervous throughout the second half as they looked very dangerous going forward.

Bristol, I thought we looked much more composed and they didn't really threaten too much.

That's why Blackburn is better. Blackburn were a much stiffer test on the night than Bristol and we still dealt with it and won comfortably.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Dec 2020 12:58

Snowflake Royal
Hendo

This.

That's why Blackburn is better. Blackburn were a much stiffer test on the night than Bristol and we still dealt with it and won comfortably.

I don't think the win against Blackburn was as comfortable as the scoreline made out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2020 13:03

South Coast Royal
Hound
URZZZZ Without continuously banging the “winger” drum, really think one would have been useful to bring on the right hand side on Wednesday, especially without Meite

Even though they had quite a few players defending in their box and for what you’d normally associate with a Pulis team, they didn’t look too comfortable from crosses and the few times we tried it, we looked dangerous

Mentioned it a few weeks ago, always nice to have a plan B and plan C etc

think Esteves basically played as one. He is always an option further forward as is Richards on the left

But neither go outside their man with pace.
I am with URZZZZ on this and I guess the club might go for one of this type having lost Riquelme to Bournemouth. and weren't able to replace him, which implies that the club would like to have a winger on board.

Richards does and did so a number of times in the last game. I’m sure Esteves can and will as well

I really don’t see a huge amount of difference between them and an ‘out and out’ winger. Not enough to waste a signing on

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Dec 2020 13:05

Whilst this fixture should be relatively straightforward, we must be extremely cautious of the quality possessed by Harry Arter. A player of his calibre could really cause us problems. I hope those lucky enough to be in the stadium tomorrow are appreciative of being so lucky to be witnessing him perform.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Dec 2020 13:09

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Hendo
This.

I don't think the win against Blackburn was as comfortable as the scoreline made out.

Agreed. Cracking game and partly because both sides were a real threat. The wurzels offered very little and got lucky with a goal that should never have been awarded.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2020 13:19

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal We had our best performance without Ejaria IMO... Blackburn was great.

Still rather have:

And I'd be very hesitant of playing Swift and Ejaria in the same side given their tendency to slow it down.

So 3 of our best players for 1 position.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2020 13:21

John Smith Whilst this fixture should be relatively straightforward, we must be extremely cautious of the quality possessed by Harry Arter. A player of his calibre could really cause us problems. I hope those lucky enough to be in the stadium tomorrow are appreciative of being so lucky to be witnessing him perform.

yeah if he makes it off the bench for them that is

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Dec 2020 13:28

Hound
NewCorkSeth
WestYorksRoyal Swift on the bench would have been perfect for a game like Wednesday. Take Rino or Laurent off and let Swift dominate the game and dictate tempo from deep. He won't walk back into the team with Olise, Meite and Ejaria fit, but having a game changer of his quality on the bench would be a massive boost.

Thats why I am relatively happy with our depth right now. When all fit a bench including Esteves, Holmes, Swift, Semedo and Puscas looks good to me.

Yeah I'm generally happy with the squad. Ideal world you'd prob swap Baldock for a Joao lite as mentioned. Puscas is a great back up. I'm really not bothered about bringing in a winger or anything.

If swap Baldock for anyone to be honest.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2020 13:32

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Right, but Semedo was exceptional that game. I know Ejaria isn't your type of player but he's been more consistent and consistently effective than Semedo has.

Still rather have:

I'd consider selling one (Semedo makes 4) and Olise covers Meite, while Ejaria covers LF.

I don't think any of them are much better than most of our first XI.

Joao stands out. But are any of them really better than Morrison, Moore, Richards, Cabral, Rinomhota, Meite, Laurent?

Flashier, for sure... better, I don't really think so.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Dec 2020 13:34

Lewis Grabban, Tyler Blackett, Scott McKenna, Samba Sow and Fouad Bachirou all have late fitness tests for Forest. Joe Worrall, Michael Dawson and Cafu are all expected to play some part. Jack Colback will miss the game after picking up a knock v Watford.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Dec 2020 13:38

Sutekh Lewis Grabban, Tyler Blackett, Scott McKenna, Samba Sow and Fouad Bachirou all have late fitness tests for Forest. Joe Worrall, Michael Dawson and Cafu are all expected to play some part. Jack Colback will miss the game after picking up a knock v Watford.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2020 13:41

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Agreed he's better than Semedo.

Still rather have:

I'd consider selling one (Semedo makes 4) and Olise covers Meite, while Ejaria covers LF.

I don't think any of them are much better than most of our first XI.

Joao stands out. But are any of them really better than Morrison, Moore, Richards, Cabral, Rinomhota, Meite, Laurent?

Flashier, for sure... better, I don't really think so.

At their respective position and role? I would argue Swift as a deep midfielder without out and out defensive duties is better than Morro, Moore, Richards, Cabral, Rinomhota, Meite and Laurent. Joao certainly not.
As an AMC no. Hes probably not even as good as they are at their best roles.

Ejaria is hard to call because I am still not sure we have seen him play in his best position and role yet.

I think it is silly to take a team with Meite, Ejaria, Olise and Swift and say that 2 of them should be relegated to the bench. Especially when Ejaria is performing very well despite often owing down attacks. He is still creating more chances than most players in the league.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Dec 2020 13:47

Old Man Andrews
Sutekh Lewis Grabban, Tyler Blackett, Scott McKenna, Samba Sow and Fouad Bachirou all have late fitness tests for Forest. Joe Worrall, Michael Dawson and Cafu are all expected to play some part. Jack Colback will miss the game after picking up a knock v Watford.

Actually their Cafu is Carlos Miguel Ribeiro Dias a 27 year old Portuguese DM in loan from Olympiacos. Should take special note of this one as last season Reading had Pele on loan after his loan with Forest the season before that and this year Reading have Semedo on loan after his loan at Forest last season.

Wonder if Semedo will be any more up for the game.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Dec 2020 13:50

Sutekh
Old Man Andrews

Actually their Cafu is Carlos Miguel Ribeiro Dias a 27 year old Portuguese DM in loan from Olympiacos. Should take special note of this one as last season Reading had Pele on loan after his loan with Forest the season before that and this year Reading have Semedo on loan after his loan at Forest last season.

Just for clarity I wasn't suggesting 50 year old Brazillain legend Cafu had come out of retirement to play for Forest. He probably is better than their current RB though.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2020 13:53

Sutekh
Old Man Andrews

So what you are saying is Cafu will be on loan with us next season?

285 posts