407 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by an utter shambles

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2020 21:55

CountryRoyal
Notts Royal
CountryRoyal
Even without injuries this game has showed us we need something. We currently have nothing which can change the game from the bench, yes swift should be back soon, I don’t know how far Puscas is off but it’s not enough for a promotion challenging team.

Keep your knickers on mate. Were a lot further down the table when we had a bloated squad. Smaller close-knit squad is working better for us this time around

Hardly off from that post?

Also 1 or two decent additions wouldn’t make a “bloated” squad, half the bench is filled with u23s that are never going to play.

You mean Tetek and Onen?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Dec 2020 21:56

Gunny Fishcake A typical benchmark Reading performance, home , chance to go top, missed penalty, against ten men for last twenty minutes and a classic pathetic gutless choke from us . Absolutely woeful .

To be fair was anything but gutless second half. The boys played their hearts out.

Massively disappointing and I agree we were woefully shite and deserved to lose, but second half we really fought with everything we had. Perhaps too hard in Meite's case.

Rax

by Rax » 09 Dec 2020 21:57

Gunny Fishcake A typical benchmark Reading performance, home , chance to go top, missed penalty, against ten men for last twenty minutes and a classic pathetic gutless choke from us . Absolutely woeful .

Pretty much!

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 Dec 2020 21:58

A piss poor first half cost us. Can't massively fault the 2nd half performance.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Dec 2020 21:59

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal
Notts Royal
Keep your knickers on mate. Were a lot further down the table when we had a bloated squad. Smaller close-knit squad is working better for us this time around

Also 1 or two decent additions wouldn’t make a “bloated” squad, half the bench is filled with u23s that are never going to play.

You mean Tetek and Onen?

Sweet the perfect number to replace with one or two decent additions.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Dec 2020 22:00

Jagermesiter1871 A piss poor first half cost us. Can't massively fault the 2nd half performance.

it was better but still thought they out fought us
and we really didn't create a lot

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 09 Dec 2020 22:00

CountryRoyal
Notts Royal
CountryRoyal
Even without injuries this game has showed us we need something. We currently have nothing which can change the game from the bench, yes swift should be back soon, I don’t know how far Puscas is off but it’s not enough for a promotion challenging team.

Fair plays...was more referring to your original posted.

I’m just pointing out we are far better off than when we had a really big squad.

As it stands, we have 4 players who can play as a striker, fighting for 1 place.

We have 4 players who can play the no.10 position...Swift, Olise, Ejaria & Aluko.

We have 3 right backs...if you count Holmes.

5 players who can play centre back

We have cover in every position on the pitch.

Could add a winger but then you’d risk having an unbalanced team with a winger 1 side, and inside forwards on the other.

Maybe a review of the fitness drills and how susceptible players are to injury would be a more appropriate Plan A

Or perhaps it’s just bad luck

Or perhaps we just like signing injury-prone players

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Dec 2020 22:01

Jagermesiter1871
Zip An appalling performance. With Joao and Meite likely to be out it’s going to be very hard for us over the next few games.

What happened to Joao?

Hamstring.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Dec 2020 22:02

Jagermesiter1871 A piss poor first half cost us. Can't massively fault the 2nd half performance.

First half dire. Second half poor. We created very little all night.

Doolittle

by Doolittle » 09 Dec 2020 22:04

Missing the pen completely knocked the stuffing out of them. Made it painfully obvious how much they rely on Joao.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Dec 2020 22:08

Doolittle Missing the pen completely knocked the stuffing out of them. Made it painfully obvious how much they rely on Joao.

They have to be stronger than that. It’s been a problem for years. We are so poor when we go behind. Not a good sign.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 09 Dec 2020 22:09

I think you have to give Birmingham City more credit for the way they closed us down all game. We looked a bit leggy and the passing wasn’t as crisp as it has been, but fair play to them they worked their socks off and scored two good goals.

Then game management/shithousery take your pick, and we didn’t have enough to break them down. I would still have persisted with Olise personally and taken Ovie off who was having no real joy all night, as he could’ve been the one to pick the lock. That free kick near the end too would’ve been made for him.

It’s the Championship so you don’t have to wait long for the next games and to forget the last one, hopefully the walking wounded aren’t too bad and will be back for Saturday but Meite didn’t look too clever....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2020 22:13

First half outplayed. Second half Brum just kicked the shit out of us and time wasted. Weirdly went away from the tactics that served them better in the first half

But I guess they earned the right to do it after coming in at 2-0 but tbh it almost backfired on them.

Penalty miss really did knock the stuffing. Joao moped about like a sulky teenager for the rest of the game (but still should have scored at the end)

Weird lack of energy after the pen as well. We looked pretty shot tbh. Very worrying with the injuries

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2020 22:14

Doolittle Missing the pen completely knocked the stuffing out of them. Made it painfully obvious how much they rely on Joao.

I thought Joao had a really poor game tbh

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 09 Dec 2020 22:16

Well at least Baldock will give everything and run and hussle all game, and the guy does have a good finish in him if give the right opertunitys.
Whatever happens we have to play at a quicker pace, tonight was terrible and slow!! maybe this run of games is catching up with everyone and we hardly have a strong bench to call upon to help.
Swift and Araruna can't get back quick enough to help out over the festive period. I fear Meite and Joao could be out for a while.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Dec 2020 22:17

Hound First half outplayed. Second half Brum just kicked the shit out of us and time wasted. Weirdly went away from the tactics that served them better in the first half

But I guess they earned the right to do it after coming in at 2-0 but tbh it almost backfired on them.

Penalty miss really did knock the stuffing. Joao moped about like a sulky teenager for the rest of the game (but still should have scored at the end)

Weird lack of energy after the pen as well. We looked pretty shot tbh. Very worrying with the injuries

I honesty don't think Birmingham changed their tactics with regard to the physicality of their play.

It was obvious from the start that they were really up for it and we didn't fancy the challenges. Hence we never got into the game.

And I don't think we have the personnel who will ever fancy that sort of game. Could be a bit of a problem

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2020 22:17

Just looked at the stats - 25 Brum fouls - could have been plenty more and no shots in the second half. That did sum them up. Really should have capitalised

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2020 22:18

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal

You mean Tetek and Onen?

Sweet the perfect number to replace with one or two decent additions.

Half the bench?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2020 22:18

bcubed
Hound First half outplayed. Second half Brum just kicked the shit out of us and time wasted. Weirdly went away from the tactics that served them better in the first half

I honesty don't think Birmingham changed their tactics with regard to the physicality of their play.

It was obvious from the start that they were really up for it and we didn't fancy the challenges. Hence we never got into the game.

And I don't think we have the personnel who will ever fancy that sort of game. Could be a bit of a problem

Oh they we even more physical. They stopped trying to score though and sat a lot deeper, and barely pressed at all

Thought we stood up to the physicality a lot better in the second. First half was the men against boys cliche

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Dec 2020 22:21

We had to resort to long ball stuff. None of our creative players were up for it and Meite was anonymous. When Joao stepped up I just knew Etheridge would save it. I think that moment will be pivotal in our season. Hope I’m wrong.

407 posts