Back from the actual game

141 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Back from the actual game

by Millsy » 06 Dec 2020 12:41

We were kind of lucky to win this game.

The handball was only just inside the penalty area.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Dec 2020 12:47

Millsy We were kind of lucky to win this game.

The handball was only just inside the penalty area.

Indeed, another foot and it wouldn’t have been a pen...

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 06 Dec 2020 13:06

RoyalBlue
Hendo
JC I don't know who the jokers were on the TV commentary were but it was incredibly biased. It was Forest this, Forest that and vary rarely did they grudgingly mention us at all. Even when we were 2 up and strolling they were still rabbiting on about what Forest needed to do to get back in the game. I would rather have paid £10 to get Tim Dellor back

You must’ve had different commentators as the ones on sky couldn’t stop praising our players, especially Olise.

Even if they did talk about Forest a little more, that’s to be expected as a) they have a bigger fan base and you’re always going to want to appeal to the masses and b) if they continue like this, they’re in all sorts of trouble, which is a big story.

Yes, the Sky coverage was very favourable to us. Completely unlike Quest who once again relegated us to the middle of their coverage, had no post match interviews and spent all the time talking to their in-studio pundits about Forest. Not one mention of us in the post-match analysis that I can recall. Someone associated with RFC must really have p*ssed off Quest in the past!

No historically we are always under valued as a club.Don’t know why;maybe because we are seen as an affluent middle England town,with little in the way of a football history.Unlike say Derby,Forest,Sunderland etc.Maybe that’s not it;I really don’t know why we are so under recognised.We have after all in recent years achieved quite a lot.We hold all sorts of records,been in the Prem twice, plus an FA Cup semi and we’re one of the first clubs to build a modern out of town well designed stadium.
But isn’t Reading as a town under valued.When I lived in London for several years a lot of my mates had never heard of the town,and couldn’t place my Reading accent;they thought I was a Cockney.Equally a lot of my Wife’s friends who live in the Home Counties look down on Reading,and group us with Slough,Bracknell and Basingstoke with a quite derisive snicker.However Windsor,Ascot or Maidenhead get a quite different reaction.
TBF I have watched both of these weeks games on Sky,and. I thought all the commentators gave us a fair crack of praise.Although maybe they recognise Olise as too much of a talent to be overlooked.
On Reading being an affluent town,until about ten years ago I always considered Reading as a town full of opportunities.Now I am not so sure.If the North has a lot of economic problems;so do we.I wouldn’t like to be in the job market looking in Reading either at the moment or in the future.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Dec 2020 13:10

karbota
Hendo
genome Pauno said that there was a chant for him? What was it?

I think it was just the give us a wave chant.

A wave goodbye?

You are blocked by me, but I thought I would take a look at what you said, now I remember why I blocked you in the first place.
Don`t bother to reply because I can`t see it,

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 Dec 2020 15:24

We even made the made the BBC Radio News, and got coverage later in the day on Five Live.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Dec 2020 15:56

karbota
Hendo
genome Pauno said that there was a chant for him? What was it?

A wave goodbye?

Never interact with me again.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Dec 2020 16:31

Olise was at both City and Chelsea as a youngster so we can only assume perhaps that they thought he might be a bit frail.
Their loss, our gain certainly.
The same goes with Richards and Fulham.

I enjoyed Zip's postings in this thread-I know what it is like when you travel a fair way to a game and then get rewarded with a top performance like that.
I could feel the enjoyment in his voice and anybody would think that he was a 12 year old kid rather than of a certain advanced age. :wink:

Football can do that to you-more of it please Reading.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Dec 2020 16:34

South Coast Royal Olise was at both City and Chelsea as a youngster so we can only assume perhaps that they thought he might be a bit frail.
Their loss, our gain certainly.
The same goes with Richards and Fulham.

I enjoyed Zip's postings in this thread-I know what it is like when you travel a fair way to a game and then get rewarded with a top performance like that.
I could feel the enjoyment in his voice and anybody would think that he was a 12 year old kid rather than of a certain advanced age. :wink:

Football can do that to you-more of it please Reading.

So true Vic. Loved it yesterday. Just felt good to be back. For that ninety minutes I completely switch off from life’s problems and just enjoy watching the game.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 06 Dec 2020 16:51

Hendo
karbota
Hendo

A wave goodbye?

Never interact with me again.

Bye bye.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 06 Dec 2020 16:53

windermereROYAL
karbota
Hendo

A wave goodbye?

You are blocked by me, but I thought I would take a look at what you said, now I remember why I blocked you in the first place.
Don`t bother to reply because I can`t see it,

Oh dear sooooooooooooo sad, bye bye, hopefully for good.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 06 Dec 2020 17:30

Royal Rother
Zip If Laurent doesn’t get them. Rinomhota will. They work as a partnership and it’s brilliant to see.

Olise is something else. His vision, his passing, his composure, his skill. Another assist today and he would have had two had it not been for the handball. The way he created space for himself was so impressive. I’m struggling to think of a better performance from a Reading player than that.

Those are the exact 4 words I sent to an RFC friend at HT. :D

The media raved about Kalvin Phillips at Leeds last year as a class young midfielder.

Olise is in a different class and 7 years younger.

That is just utter, utter BS. I remember everyone saying the same about a young Jamie Lambert, Byron Glasgow, Liam Kelly, Greg Halford ( will play for England lol ) Danny Loader OMG. Serious reality check needed, just a good Champ squad player at best, will never make his name in the Prem.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 06 Dec 2020 18:20

Pepe the Horseman Was there any "bantz" with the empty away stand? Would've liked a "your support is oxf*rd shit" or a "you're so loud you sound like Aldershot", that sort of thing.

Hahaha! That's exactly what I was thinking, too. A rousing rendition of "You're so loud you sound like Aldersh*t" would have brought some mirth and merriment ....

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2020 18:48

karbota
Royal Rother
Zip If Laurent doesn’t get them. Rinomhota will. They work as a partnership and it’s brilliant to see.

Olise is something else. His vision, his passing, his composure, his skill. Another assist today and he would have had two had it not been for the handball. The way he created space for himself was so impressive. I’m struggling to think of a better performance from a Reading player than that.

The media raved about Kalvin Phillips at Leeds last year as a class young midfielder.

That is just utter, utter BS. I remember everyone saying the same about a young Jamie Lambert, Byron Glasgow, Liam Kelly, Greg Halford ( will play for England lol ) Danny Loader OMG. Serious reality check needed, just a good Champ squad player at best, will never make his name in the Prem.

:lol: I’m not everyone.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 06 Dec 2020 20:16

karbota
Royal Rother

Apart from maybe Lambert in his first few games I can't remember thinking any of those other players mentioned being different class

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Dec 2020 00:56

Mid Sussex Royal
karbota
Royal Rother

Apart from maybe Lambert in his first few games I can't remember thinking any of those other players mentioned being different class

Exactly. Mad racist talking shit again

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Dec 2020 07:20

leon
Mid Sussex Royal
karbota

Exactly. Mad racist talking shit again

T
Wasn’t Glasgow Class A ?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 07 Dec 2020 09:54

James Cleverly on Booing the knee.

Mr Cleverly added that football has a longstanding organisation dedicated to fighting racism in the sport, Kick Racism Out Of Football, which he said he did not think got the kind of coverage they deserve.

He said there were "some within the BLM movement who are pushing a very extreme political agenda."

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Dec 2020 09:56

JC I don't know who the jokers were on the TV commentary were but it was incredibly biased. It was Forest this, Forest that and vary rarely did they grudgingly mention us at all. Even when we were 2 up and strolling they were still rabbiting on about what Forest needed to do to get back in the game. I would rather have paid £10 to get Tim Dellor back

Did you not turn off your TV translate mode as i assume it was under "Japanese" or similar. They were waxing lyrical about us etc etc. Yes they commented about how Forest kept going, but they were very impressed with our setup.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Dec 2020 10:07

paultheroyal

Did you not turn off your TV translate mode as i assume it was under "Japanese" or similar. They were waxing lyrical about us etc etc. Yes they commented about how Forest kept going, but they were very impressed with our setup.

Yeah I wonder about this. I always get the impression that sky always bigs up the opposition instead of us, but I have listened out for it this season and actually it's probably quite even. I think it's that I'm so used to BBCRB, who obviously are Reading-biased, that it seems strange that there should be any talk about the opposition so I interpret that as the opposition always being favoured.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 07 Dec 2020 10:14

I would argue that this is the most creative Reading team ever, even more so than in 05/06.

They are an absolute pleasure to watch, and though - because of their relative youth - they will screw up now and then, that is a price worth paying to watch genuine talent wearing the hoops.

141 posts