MATCHWATCH : Norwich City (h) sponsored by as tough as it gets

363 posts
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Norwich City (h) sponsored by as tough as it gets

by Westwood52 » 17 Dec 2020 19:52

URZZZZ
Mr Optimist
Zip I would rather Melvin-Lambert was now given a chance rather than persevere with Baldock. He has no attacking instinct at all which isn’t great when he’s playing the line striker role.

I agree 100%.

We could’ve done with someone raw with a bit of pace up front as we were always going to be trying to hit Norwich on the break tonight. Would’ve scared the living daylights out of Grant Hanley. He looked really slow, just looked his age up and can’t believe he is still only 29, he runs like someone who is 59 and smokes 40 a day.

Or we could have tried them together, gone two up top

Baldock was chasing shadows last night, Norwich were so comfortable passing around as we didn’t pressurise them in the last bit of the game, a second striker might have forced them to alter their ways a bit

Do think the Baldock scapegoating is getting quite tiresome. I guess we’ve moved on from Gunter last year and it takes the crown away from Aluko but he’s not a bad Championship striker. He’s never been an out and out goalscorer but he’s been a big part of 2/3 promotion pushing campaigns elsewhere - which says something. It’s not his fault we’re not utilising his strengths

I just think at his age he has lost a yard of pace,and without that he has nothing else to offer.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Dec 2020 20:08

WestYorksRoyal I thought Gibson had a tendency to drift narrow, just as you'd expect a CB playing at LB too. Most of Norwich's threat came down the right, which is partly due to the quality of Aarons. But we definitely left space there.

Very much so.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Dec 2020 16:17

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Zip
He is not good enough to play the lone striker role. He had service last night and messed it up. He was in a great position to either shoot or attack the defender on the edge of the penalty box and chose to do neither. He also managed to be flagged offside on a rare a counter attack where Norwich were stretched. He does make good runs but they take him down one side of the pitch and he hasn’t the ability to do anything with the ball than pass it back. There is then no-one in the penalty box to attack any cross so momentum is lost.

It said it all that with all our senior strikers injured Pauno didn’t want to start him. Baldock has been terrible value for money. A miserable ten goals in his time with us.

He didn't manage to be flagged offside.

He ran, no pass, checked back onside, ran and got a fractionally delayed pass that saw him offside.

If you run the shoulder you'll get caught off sometimes. It's not like he was just standing offside oblivious. He was making the runs. And even if he'd been on the ball was too over hit to do much with.

Yeah agreed there, that offside was not Baldocks "fault", the delay in pass saw him flagged and even then the pass was pretty awful.

I'm a bit late for a pile in but yeh agreed.
Said the same, at the time, in the match thread

363 posts