MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (a) sponsored by a no pressure game

429 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (a) sponsored by a no pressure game

by windermereROYAL » 27 Dec 2020 13:36

Nameless Don’t think they are the team we have the worst record against.
Am I right that we have lost every game we have ever played against Arsenal ?

Yes, 14 games i believe.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 27 Dec 2020 14:36

LUX
Jackson Corner I will take a 2-0 defeat now.

Lolwut.[/quot
Well I hope I’m wrong and we win 2-0 and I will tuck into my humble pie with glee. But form injuries etc.
Suggests a comfortable evening for the Welsh tea..

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 Dec 2020 15:23

windermereROYAL

Yes, 14 games i believe.

Technically if you count matches after 90 minutes we've drawn twice v Arsenal.

1-1 then lost in extra time to Federici then 4-4 when we lost 7-5

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Dec 2020 00:28

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Bit worried about McIntyre up against a decent RWer... Roberts has 2 goals and 4 assists so no slouch. Tom's a touch on the slow side and has been known to jump in with the odd clumsy challenge.

Be tempted to switch it around to Bristow in for Esteves so we've got someone a little quicker on the left. Juggling the defence is rarely clever though. And Bristow is very raw.

Play for the draw here I think. Swansea would be a tough game with everyone fit, let alone the semi-reserve side we currently have.

So would you basically move everyone one spot to the right, Esteves drops off the far side and Bristow comes on fromthe left ?
Some benefits there (Morrison back on his favoured side, left footed CB on the left, RB probably stronger defensively, keeps McIntyre in the side). Big risk factor is whether Bristow is ready which only VP can decide.

Yep, that's the idea.

I'd rather see our young fullback get a go than someone else's who has been rather underwhelming. And who really struggles with positioning, and I feel Swansea are likely to be well placed to exploit that.

Of course that's a very slow centre of defence, so can't play a high line.

But yeah. Fluff it.

...................Southwood
Holmes, Morrison, McIntyre, Bristow
...................Rino, Laurent
Aluko, .............Swift, .................Olise
.......................Baldock

You’d choose Aluko? Who’s stolen your account :wink:

In all seriousness, not sure he’d complement Holmes who isn’t comfortable enough on the ball and constantly needs an outlet, which Aluko doesn’t always provide

May have to be Olise there unfortunately where he isn’t nearly as good but limited options there without Meite

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Dec 2020 10:31

Royal_jimmy
windermereROYAL

Yes, 14 games i believe.

Technically we lost both those matches.
Making arbitrary cut offs doesn’t change the result !

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 28 Dec 2020 10:37

Nameless
Royal_jimmy
windermereROYAL
Yes, 14 games i believe.

It's not arbitrary though. A game is 90 minutes. If a winner can't be decided you play extra time. Over the course of the standard 90 minutes, we weren't beaten.

Though, obviously we lost the additional time.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Dec 2020 10:41

skipper
Nameless
Royal_jimmy

It's not arbitrary though. A game is 90 minutes. If a winner can't be decided you play extra time. Over the course of the standard 90 minutes, we weren't beaten.

Claiming to have drawn a game we lost is desperation !
The number of people who consider we actually drew 4-4 in that league cup game would probably be about 1....

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 28 Dec 2020 10:43

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Nameless
So would you basically move everyone one spot to the right, Esteves drops off the far side and Bristow comes on fromthe left ?
Some benefits there (Morrison back on his favoured side, left footed CB on the left, RB probably stronger defensively, keeps McIntyre in the side). Big risk factor is whether Bristow is ready which only VP can decide.

Yep, that's the idea.

I'd rather see our young fullback get a go than someone else's who has been rather underwhelming. And who really struggles with positioning, and I feel Swansea are likely to be well placed to exploit that.

But yeah. Fluff it.

In all seriousness, not sure he’d complement Holmes who isn’t comfortable enough on the ball and constantly needs an outlet, which Aluko doesn’t always provide

May have to be Olise there unfortunately where he isn’t nearly as good but limited options there without Meite

If Spurs are interested Olise is gone and won’t be loaned back

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Dec 2020 10:57

Westwood52
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Yep, that's the idea.

But yeah. Fluff it.

If Spurs are interested Olise is gone and won’t be loaned back

Not before Wednesday though....
What makes you so sure he wouldn’t be loaned back ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Dec 2020 10:59

Nameless
skipper
Nameless

The number of people who consider we actually drew 4-4 in that league cup game would probably be about 1....

We've had this conversation before and there are plenty of sources that consider it a draw. It's not one interpretation is possible only.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Dec 2020 11:01

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Yep, that's the idea.

But yeah. Fluff it.

Semedo has a bad foot, Ejaria's oxf*rd me right off. It's desperation.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Dec 2020 11:25

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
skipper

We've had this conversation before and there are plenty of sources that consider it a draw. It's not one interpretation is possible only.

Bizarre how having drawn each match we weren’t the team that went on and played in the next round....cup ties must have a winner and a loser. The result of the Arsenal game was 7-5. That isn’t a draw under ANY interpretation .

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Dec 2020 12:50

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Bizarre how having drawn each match we weren’t the team that went on and played in the next round....cup ties must have a winner and a loser. The result of the Arsenal game was 7-5. That isn’t a draw under ANY interpretation .

It's a draw under plenty of interpretations.

Extra time and pens can be considered a tie breaker to see who goes through, after the game itself is drawn. Winning a tie and winning a match don't have to be the exact same thing.

Soccerbase - 19/20, Wycombe 1-1 Reading D*

The original comment was pretty clear that it was taking a view from a certain perspective only. No need to get your knickers in a twist because not everyone sees things by your exact interpretation.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Dec 2020 12:59

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

You've pretty much clarified for yourself there - we lost both ties but not the "game". Loose example but if you had Reading 4 Arsenal 4 down as a bet for that 7-5 AET game then you would have been paid out on it. A bet on an Arsenal win in both those would only have paid out if you had bet on them winning the tie, not the match.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Dec 2020 13:39

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal We've had this conversation before and there are plenty of sources that consider it a draw. It's not one interpretation is possible only.

Extra time and pens can be considered a tie breaker to see who goes through, after the game itself is drawn. Winning a tie and winning a match don't have to be the exact same thing.

The original comment was pretty clear that it was taking a view from a certain perspective only. No need to get your knickers in a twist because not everyone sees things by your exact interpretation.

So you’d Use Soccerbase as your definitive reference ?
According to them we ‘ve played Arsenal 14 times and arsenal have won all 14 including a 7-5 league cup win.
Not really much more to debate here.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Dec 2020 13:56

Would be very harsh to drop Estevez after probably his best game.
Overall the back four was pretty effective so I suspect the defence will stay as is, including Rafael

then Rinomhota and Laurent

Plus 3 from Aluko, Swift, Ejaria and Olise
(Might just come down to fitness)

and Baldock

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 28 Dec 2020 16:49

Due to injuries the team is pretty much picking itself. The only area we could possibly change it up is the attacking three midfielders. I don't think Swift is ready for a starting role just yet, and Ejaria just isn't working on the left for me.
Would go with : Aluko Ejaria Olise
Aluko has played on the left before and he can cross the ball. Ejaria should be more effective in the middle, and Olise can play on the right.
I also think Rafael needs a break, there's a good keeper in there as we've seen in the past but it's just not happening right now. Saying that, i'm not sure this is the right game to blood Southwood and would wait until Uddersfield and then switch.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Dec 2020 17:28

windermereROYAL

Yes, 14 games i believe.

Nostalgia time

Correct. 14 defeats in 14 Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup games, however it’s not quite a total whitewash :wink: as Reading have actually beaten Arsenal 7 times, 6 in war competitions and once in peacetime:

London Cup

04 Jan 1940 > 2-0 (h) - Edelston, MacPhee
11 Jan 1940 > 1-0 (a) - Cothliffe

London Cup South

04 Mar 1944 > 3-2 (a) - MacPhee 2, Chitty
25 Mar 1944 > 5-1 (h) - Chitty, Williams, MacPhee, Edelston 2

Football League South

04 Nov 1944 > 3-1 (h) - Layton (p), Edelston 2
31 Mar 1945 > 2-0 (a) - Chitty, Fisher

Southern Professional Floodlit Cup

03 Apr 1957 > 2-1 (h) - Wheeler 2

Not sure how the floodlit cup was seen by clubs in 1957. There weren’t many entrants but Reading do appear to have played their first team for the game. Presume Arsenal played a second string but they had come through 2 previous rounds for what was a semi final with Reading. Anyone in this board actually go to the game?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 28 Dec 2020 18:00

Nameless
Sutekh Olise reported a tight hamstring after Brentford. Apparently he could have played v Luton if he had to but the club decided not to start him and with Swift on his way back Olise may well also take a bench seat v Swansea to be sure things have recovered as much as possible for the New Year.

Very convenient minor injury. Not bad enough to fail a medical presumably ? :wink:

Yeah hes off, and good riddance ( far too cocky ), 8 million should be more than enough to sign Shane Long.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Dec 2020 22:47

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

So you’d Use Soccerbase as your definitive reference ?
According to them we ‘ve played Arsenal 14 times and arsenal have won all 14 including a 7-5 league cup win.
Not really much more to debate here.

No, because you see I'm not saying it can only be interpreted one way. I'm saying it can be interpreted multiple ways. It's you trying to dictate. It's you who said no one could view it that way. Definitively we've got the person who made the original point, me, stranded, soccerbase, so clearly it can can be considered as the match being drawn. But apparently only you can have a valid opinion.

429 posts