Most important player ever?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Most important player ever?

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Jan 2021 10:26

Vision
Millsy Roberts.

Changed a relegation-fighting side to a promotion-chasing one.

Without Joao we're not relegation contenders.

Don't think you're remembering that correctly. Or maybe I'm not but pretty sure We had just dropped out of the Play off places when Anton took over and Roberts arrived.

Not trying to downplay Roberts influence which was very significant but people also tend to forget that the Anton Takeover also allowed us to give Kebe an improved contract and he was just as important to our late season form that season.

Yeh this. We were a point off the playoffs. Certainly weren't relegation contenders, and had got to the play-off final the previous season. He did make the difference between playoffs and automatic though.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 11 Jan 2021 11:10

Vision
Millsy Roberts.

Don't think you're remembering that correctly. Or maybe I'm not but pretty sure We had just dropped out of the Play off places when Anton took over and Roberts arrived.

Not trying to downplay Roberts influence which was very significant but people also tend to forget that the Anton Takeover also allowed us to give Kebe an improved contract and he was just as important to our late season form that season.

Worst I remember it ever getting was that miserable home loss to Hull, if my memory is correct I can recall a fair amount of people thinking we were a bang average mid table side back then.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 11 Jan 2021 11:16

TiagoIlori
Vision
Millsy Roberts.

Worst I remember it ever getting was that miserable home loss to Hull, if my memory is correct I can recall a fair amount of people thinking we were a bang average mid table side back then.

Yep. That was the game the takeover was announced and that defeat dropped us out of the players.

There was a really downbeat post match interview with McDermott where it seemed as if he thought the takeover meant he was going to lose his job.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2021 12:47

Vision
Millsy Roberts.

You're not wrong

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Jan 2021 14:06

Pepe the Horseman
Vision
Millsy Roberts.

Yeh this. We were a point off the playoffs. Certainly weren't relegation contenders, and had got to the play-off final the previous season. He did make the difference between playoffs and automatic though.

Ok guys obviously I'm not remembering this right, ignore that. I see I was conflating two things. Brian took us from relegation fodder promotion contenders. And he signed Roberts, who was instrumental for him. In my head that translated to Roberts' signing shooting us up the league. My memory had a slip :oops:

I'll retract that and make up for it with the obvious choice, surprised noone has mentioned it:

Keith Scott. Singlehandedly took us from nobodies to league champions two seasons running and of course that hat trick in the playoff final the following year. The only back to back 25+ goal/season striker I remember absolutely terrorised opposition defences. We were nothing without him.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 11 Jan 2021 20:22

Mid Sussex Royal Going back a bit:

Robin Friday - 1975/76 promotion season

Kerry Dixon - 1982/83, we were relegated but on an unusually high 53 points and Dixon was the leading scorer in the entire football league

Good shout, but I would also add Alan Scarrott and Michael Meeker.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jan 2021 20:29

Millsy
Pepe the Horseman
Vision

Ok guys obviously I'm not remembering this right, ignore that. I see I was conflating two things. Brian took us from relegation fodder promotion contenders. And he signed Roberts, who was instrumental for him. In my head that translated to Roberts' signing shooting us up the league. My memory had a slip :oops:

I'll retract that and make up for it with the obvious choice, surprised noone has mentioned it:

Keith Scott. Singlehandedly took us from nobodies to league champions two seasons running and of course that hat trick in the playoff final the following year. The only back to back 25+ goal/season striker I remember absolutely terrorised opposition defences. We were nothing without him.

In fairness we were only just top half of the table at the back end of December and then had a phenomenal second half of the season.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 11 Jan 2021 21:38

Kevin Watson 2002/03.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Jan 2021 17:58

In answer to the thread title and for the impact on promotion i put forward Jason Roberts.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2021 18:45

Can't believe no one thought of him in the last 5 pages

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 23 Feb 2021 22:12

/Yakou Meite. Close thread

It is currently 29 Mar 2024 15:32