MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

303 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jan 2021 16:38

Hound JLow reminds me there was no East either along with Watson.

Those two surely on their way unless injured.

Why did I think East was out on loan?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Jan 2021 16:38

Nameless
South Coast Royal
Nameless If winning a cup game with your full strength team is seen as a guarantee of ongoing success, what would be the implications of playing your firstbteam but losing.? Worse than not playing your first team?

No guarantees-ask Bielsa who put out a very strong team and lost.
Presumably it would be written off as being only a cup game and we weren't fully focused.

BTW, are you trying to usurp Ian in the arguing for arguing 's sakes stakes? :wink: (try saying that last bit after a few sherbets).

I’d assumed you were playing the Ian role (arguing vehemently for a position you probably don’t actually believe in despite all the evidence and reasonable posters being against you !)
We need to find someone who is an expert in team selection and strategy, has a vested interest in making the ‘right’ decision and is aware of the fitness and mentality of all the players. Would be interesting to see how the settle this conundrum. Any ideas who we could ask ? :wink:

We are full circle and back to Ian again although I would point out that manager/ coaches don't tend to last very long in their jobs so maybe they don't really know what they are doing. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2021 17:41

NewCorkSeth Ian frequently just ducks out of arguments when he gets bored. Just leaves like it means nothing to him. Bastard. I hate when he does that. Makes it certain that the whole thing was a waste of time.

I've grown as a person, and I'm mindful not to pollute the board with circular arguments going nowhere.

If you can't reach some form of closure in two or three posts, you certainly won't in 5 or 10.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2021 17:42

They've been widely considered out the door for about 18 months haven't they?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jan 2021 17:42

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Ian frequently just ducks out of arguments when he gets bored. Just leaves like it means nothing to him. Bastard. I hate when he does that. Makes it certain that the whole thing was a waste of time.

I've grown as a person, and I'm mindful not to pollute the board with circular arguments going nowhere.

If you can't reach some form of closure in two or three posts, you certainly won't in 5 or 10.

I know you do it because you know how much it hurts me. You're a cruel, cruel man.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2021 17:43

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

I know you do it because you know how much it hurts me. You're a cruel, cruel man.

You're welcome to try to continue them by PM. I might respond.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jan 2021 19:43

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Man up Sethmondo.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jan 2021 20:00

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal I've grown as a person, and I'm mindful not to pollute the board with circular arguments going nowhere.

Man up Sethmondo.

I'll try but I'm not making any promises.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2021 20:02

Can Sutekh pull his finger out of his backside and start the Brentford thread?

Definitely didn’t deserve a 15 pager that Luton game

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Jan 2021 00:18

Perhaps protected in case required as cover. There was a balance of experience and youth on Saturday.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2021 00:50

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth I think there is a lot missed in just how fit modern players are. These guys are approaching peak human conditioning. The game is a lot more taxing now than it used to be. Fitness levels are demonstrably higher than they were even 10 years ago.

I dont understand the argument about winning games breeds winning games. I mean, I agree with that, but this wasn't the same team? None of the main lads will be affected by a reserve team losing a game they were barely involved in. You think Joao and Rafael will be thinking "christ we did bad in that cup game, that's really going to hurt our form". Nah m8. Reckon it means nothing to them and likely they are glad for the extra day off and eyeing the table thinking "this could be my chance to play in the Premier League".

I'm not sure if there really was a correlation and if it's just mere coincidence but last season's pre-post cup form (before the 3rd round) stands at:

4 successive wins, against two of the best home teams in the league
Vs
1 win in 10 games

What you say does make sense, that if it's a completely changed XI, it shouldn't have an impact on the first teamers. However, could you not argue that winning breeds confidence and so you want players to keep up their level of form, a two week break possibly having the opposite effect?

That certainly is interesting and I would love to read an article about this with a wider scope. Perhaps a league wide analysis? Good idea for The Athletic that.

I guess I would say it depends on the manager and coaching team. If they can motivate and run good sessions a 2 week break could be amazing right?

Possibly, although Bielsa’s murderball may not have had the desired effect :lol:
Last edited by URZZZZ on 12 Jan 2021 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2021 00:56

Nameless
South Coast Royal
Nameless If winning a cup game with your full strength team is seen as a guarantee of ongoing success, what would be the implications of playing your firstbteam but losing.? Worse than not playing your first team?

No guarantees-ask Bielsa who put out a very strong team and lost.
Presumably it would be written off as being only a cup game and we weren't fully focused.

BTW, are you trying to usurp Ian in the arguing for arguing 's sakes stakes? :wink: (try saying that last bit after a few sherbets).

despite all the evidence and reasonable posters being against you !)

Does that include Klopp and Guardiola putting out strong sides too :wink:

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Jan 2021 10:16

Snowflake Royal

I have noticed that in you Ian lately which is good. It certainly does pollute the board, having needless and pointless arguments

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Jan 2021 10:21

Simmops
Snowflake Royal

I have noticed that in you Ian lately which is good. It certainly does pollute the board, having needless and pointless arguments

Wanna fight about it?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Jan 2021 10:24

NewCorkSeth
Simmops
Snowflake Royal I've grown as a person, and I'm mindful not to pollute the board with circular arguments going nowhere.

Wanna fight about it?

Only if it leads to sex afterwards

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2021 11:35

Hound Can Sutekh pull his finger out of his backside and start the Brentford thread?

Brentford game has been postponed so even longer to wait for the next matchday thread

I’ll start it back off - now the players have had 17 days rest, looks like the cup team was a mistake after all :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2021 11:37

URZZZZ
Hound Can Sutekh pull his finger out of his backside and start the Brentford thread?

Brentford game has been postponed so even longer to wait for the next matchday thread

I’ll start it back off - now the players have had 17 days rest, looks like the cup team was a mistake after all :wink:

oh great

yes absolutely think a different team would have been picked knowing that

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2021 11:42

Hound
URZZZZ

oh great

yes absolutely think a different team would have been picked knowing that

Will most likely mean we miss Da Silva's suspension games

But more chance of having Meite back and Swift, Joao etc at a better condition so not all bad

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2021 11:45

as mentioned on Talk Reading - played the previously 5 league games in the space of 17 days, then 17 days between the next 2 league games

Quite fancied us to beat them on saturday so disappointed its off

May have Moore back as well by the rearranged match as well

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Jan 2021 12:14

Simmops
NewCorkSeth
Simmops

Wanna fight about it?

Only if it leads to sex afterwards

Only way I know how xx

303 posts