371 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (h)

by Sutekh » 14 Jan 2021 18:04

When : Tuesday 19th January 2020, 6pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

First, note the kick off time, it's 6pm so you’ll possibly need to get your chippy tea organised a bit earlier before settling down to watch on Sky Sports Arena - and let’s hope that the run of 4 wins from 20 Sky games improves.

This game will be Reading's first for 10 days or so and longer still for most senior professionals at the club so you can argue the players will be fit and raring to go before the match and after any debacle you can argue that it's just too long to keep match sharpness.

Coventry are owed, being the first club to beat Reading in a league game this season, and while Reading do have the means to achieve that we all know that there is no such thing as an easy ride in the Championship so everyone is going to have to be on their mettle to ensure the much needed pointage is returned.

This will be the first visit of the Sky Blues to Reading since a 2-0 win back in February 2012 and since then Coventry have dropped all the way down to League 2 and come all the way back again and are now in the bottom half of the table, 7 points above the drop zone, averaging just over a point a game. The average isn't too much of a surprise given that Coventry have drawn half of the last 12 league games played and that run of games has been quite interesting, starting out by going 8 games unbeaten before slipping into a run of 1 win and 1 draw in 4.

Games have been tight with usually 1 goal in either direction being enough to win so it would seem the Coventry generally give as good as they get with only Blackburn smashing them by 4-0 so far this season. Matt Godden and Tyler Walker lead the line for them and have clocked 7 goals between them so far. Defender Gustav Hamer is one to watch from set pieces as he has 4 strikes and is the leading scorer with Godden.

Coventry may have signed striker Viktor Gyokeres from Brighton in time for the game while the Reading injury woes are starting to see the end of the tunnel, however the starting XI will come from the same squad on display at Huddersfield.

Referee

Dean Whitestone

Previously

30 Jun 2020 > Reading 0-3 Brentford
11 Jan 2020 > Reading 1-1 Nottm Forest
19 Oct 2019 > Reading 1-0 Preston North End
12 Aug 2018 > Reading 2-0 Birmingham City (League Cup)
05 Apr 2016 > Reading 2-1 Nottm Forest
22 Mar 2014 > Birmingham City 1-2 Reading
23 Aug 2011 > Charlton Athletic 2-1 Reading (League Cup)
22 Feb 2011 > Reading 2-1 Millwall
17 Feb 2010 > Crystal Palace 1-3 Reading
07 Nov 2009 > Reading 1-1 Ipswich Town
26 Aug 2008 > Reading 5-1 Luton Town (League Cup)

Historically

The clubs have shared 24 seasons so far with Reading by far the most dominant for league games held in Reading. Of the 24 games played so far Coventry have won on 3 occasions, all at the Mad Stad and all by 2 goals to 1, while Reading have managed 16 wins.

Overall there have been 51 goals from Reading and just 23 from Coventry, the last 5 home games have seen 4 Reading victories and 1 draw (for 10 against 1) so there is also something to try and keep going in this game.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Sky Sports Arena
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (h)

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Jan 2021 18:58

It will be interesting, Coventry only made a few changes to their FA Cup team so they might be fresher than us as our first team now hasn't played since the 2-1 win at Huddersfield 12 days ago.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 14 Jan 2021 20:26

We can't have it both ways.

Some teams will be fresher than us versus us playing a very weakened cup team and therefore resting players.

Does playing twice a week make you "fresher" or "more tired" ? Can't have it both ways.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jan 2021 11:54

I suppose as usual the two talking points are who plays RB and who plays RW. Logic would say it’s likely to be Holmes and Olise, but my preference is filling positions with players that play there as their first choice

Therefore would go with:

Rafael

Esteves
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota

Olise
Swift
Ejaria

Joao

Southwood Holmes Bristow Tetek Semedo Aluko Onen Puscas (Melvin Lambert if not fit) Baldock

Albeit wouldn’t be surprised to see him start Olise on the bench again as he has a knack for doing that and he wasn’t very good against Luton, possible potential for pushing Esteves up further forward and putting Holmes back in

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jan 2021 13:03

URZZZZ I suppose as usual the two talking points are who plays RB and who plays RW. Logic would say it’s likely to be Holmes and Olise, but my preference is filling positions with players that play there as their first choice

Therefore would go with:

Rafael

Esteves
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota

Olise
Swift
Ejaria

Joao

Southwood Holmes Bristow Tetek Semedo Aluko Onen Puscas (Melvin Lambert if not fit) Baldock

Albeit wouldn’t be surprised to see him start Olise on the bench again as he has a knack for doing that and he wasn’t very good against Luton, possible potential for pushing Esteves up further forward and putting Holmes back in

yes that'd be my team as well. Would consider Pendlebury on the bench as thought he looked good. Also Gibson should be back, so him on the bench for Bristow

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Jan 2021 13:14

Hound
URZZZZ I suppose as usual the two talking points are who plays RB and who plays RW. Logic would say it’s likely to be Holmes and Olise, but my preference is filling positions with players that play there as their first choice

Therefore would go with:

Rafael

Esteves
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota

Olise
Swift
Ejaria

Joao

yes that'd be my team as well. Would consider Pendlebury on the bench as thought he looked good. Also Gibson should be back, so him on the bench for Bristow

Probably a choice between Tetek and Pendlebury, hard to see them both making the bench.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 15 Jan 2021 14:22

SCIAG
Hound

Therefore would go with:

Rafael

Esteves
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota

Olise
Swift
Ejaria

Joao

Probably a choice between Tetek and Pendlebury, hard to see them both making the bench.

Up to now the selections on the bench is irrelevant as Pauno doesn't tend to bring on anyone other than his usual, more experienced players - I don't remember him bringing on any of the U23s except Tetek before (who promptly got booked!). Holmes, Semedo, Aluko, Baldock (and Gibson) would be the players coming on off your bench.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Jan 2021 16:08

HNA? in the 2000's Don't you think we could use the same match report for the last three Reading v Coventry games at the madhouse?
We take the lead without playing well, Coventry look a very poor side, come out in the second half like a team transformed, 2-1 the final result.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Jan 2021 16:20

morganb
SCIAG
Hound

Up to now the selections on the bench is irrelevant as Pauno doesn't tend to bring on anyone other than his usual, more experienced players - I don't remember him bringing on any of the U23s except Tetek before (who promptly got booked!). Holmes, Semedo, Aluko, Baldock (and Gibson) would be the players coming on off your bench.

Agree - although I’d argue Holmes was very much an u23 until Paunovic started using him, and Onen has had a couple of very reluctant sub appearances. But it has verged on the bizarre sometimes, particularly wrt Melvin-Lambert.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2021 16:27

Holmes ahead of Esteves every time. Otherwise the above.

Suspect we may see Semedo in for Olise though.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 15 Jan 2021 19:11

Snowflake Royal Holmes ahead of Esteves every time. Otherwise the above.

Hi Snowflake, i think Esteves is slowly growing into the championship and really there's not much between them now. Holmes is a bit better at the defending side of view and has a mistake in him as its not his natural position and his attacking play isn't up to scratch.
Esteves is still young and learning the position hence the errors, however it is his natural position and he is slowly getting better and his attacking play is far better than Holmes.
It really is a close call and to be honest i wouldn't be over bothered whoever gets the nod.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2021 19:31

Esteves had a good game against Luton reserves in the cup I'll give him that. Still positionally useless and unable to defend the back post for toffee.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Jan 2021 23:04

Snowflake Royal Esteves had a good game against Luton reserves in the cup I'll give him that. Still positionally useless and unable to defend the back post for toffee.

That’s harsh. He has been improving defensively in his recent appearances and that includes his positioning. Not much between him and Holmes.

Just one point on Tennai Watson who I know you consider to be decent. He really deserved a start in the Cup last week. It must have been hard for him seeing the first and second choice right backs out injured and yet two players were then considered ahead of him for the right back berth. That can’t have done his confidence much good. I hope he ends up at a good League One club and has an injury free run. He’s not had a lot of luck in the past two or three years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2021 10:05

Zip
Snowflake Royal Esteves had a good game against Luton reserves in the cup I'll give him that. Still positionally useless and unable to defend the back post for toffee.

That’s harsh. He has been improving defensively in his recent appearances and that includes his positioning. Not much between him and Holmes.

Just one point on Tennai Watson who I know you consider to be decent. He really deserved a start in the Cup last week. It must have been hard for him seeing the first and second choice right backs out injured and yet two players were then considered ahead of him for the right back berth. That can’t have done his confidence much good. I hope he ends up at a good League One club and has an injury free run. He’s not had a lot of luck in the past two or three years.

It's bizarre that he's been featuring on the bench and even got on a couple of times when he's obviously so far down the pecking order in his own position he's 5th choice behind a dodgy 18 year old, a centreback and allegedly a DM. Hell, I reckon we'd put Rino at RB before him, stripping our midfield in preference.

Think we've got to accept that his injury issues have done for him and his early promise is gone, at least in the view of the staff. And he's just marking time until his contract runs out.

You'd have thought we could have found him a club if he's been that poor in training, or if he hasn't - have given him a shot in his actual position in the cups.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Jan 2021 11:04

Snowflake Royal
Zip

It's bizarre that he's been featuring on the bench and even got on a couple of times when he's obviously so far down the pecking order in his own position he's 5th choice behind a dodgy 18 year old, a centreback and allegedly a DM. Hell, I reckon we'd put Rino at RB before him, stripping our midfield in preference.

Think we've got to accept that his injury issues have done for him and his early promise is gone, at least in the view of the staff. And he's just marking time until his contract runs out.

You'd have thought we could have found him a club if he's been that poor in training, or if he hasn't - have given him a shot in his actual position in the cups.

Unless he was injured last week I just don’t get why he didn’t get a start in the Cup. As you say he even came on at the end of important League games recently. Just for match fitness and putting himself in the shop window he should have had a game. Out of the entire squad he is the one I really feel has been hard done by.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jan 2021 11:50

May have been injured or ill

But yep surprised him and East haven’t moved on already

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2021 11:52

Both players who have deserved more chances than chucklefuks like Aluko

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2021 01:33

Agree to disagree on Holmes and Esteves. Personally feel if you have a RB in the squad, use them, instead of a makeshift CB at RB. Just don’t pair him with Aluko as that’s where the biggest problem lies, both go chasing the ball a bit too much for my liking

Not sure where Semedo would fit in for Olise, unless you envisage Swift/Semedo playing on the right side which I guess could be a possibility

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Jan 2021 08:53

URZZZZ

Agree to disagree on Holmes and Esteves. Personally feel if you have a RB in the squad, use them, instead of a makeshift CB at RB. Just don’t pair him with Aluko as that’s where the biggest problem lies, both go chasing the ball a bit too much for my liking

Not sure where Semedo would fit in for Olise, unless you envisage Swift/Semedo playing on the right side which I guess could be a possibility

Esteves would be a whole lot better if he had someone like Jobi playing in front of him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jan 2021 09:14

Hendo
URZZZZ

Esteves would be a whole lot better if he had someone like Jobi playing in front of him.

God, I miss Jobi.

371 posts