MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a)

359 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a)

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Jan 2021 12:05

tidus_mi2 I do think Pauno has been quite clever billing this as Revenge Month, the players are definitely talking about it so seems to have done the trick and certainly got a good result against Coventry, hopefully that can continue against Preston.

I quite like it. I know success under Coppell and McDermott used a "win next game" mentally and treated all games equally, but I don't think there's anything wrong with firing the guys up for a run of fixtures. So long as we don't see a sudden drop off in intensity when "revenge month" finishes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2021 12:30

NewCorkSeth
Hound PNE are certainly an odd side this season. Be disappointing not to win considering their home form and their inconsistency though

Rafael
Esteves Morrison McIntyre Richards
Rino Laurent
Semedo Swift Ejaria
Joao

Southwood, Aluko, Holmes, Tetek, Baldock, Gibson, Onen, Melvin-Lambert, Camara

Though I think he'll go Aluko instead of Semedo. Don't really want the Esteves/Aluko right flank though

Semedo on the wing? Remind me, have we seen that yet?

Believe one of his first appearances he played left.

My only change is Semedo for Olise, otherwise same team as against Coventry

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 21 Jan 2021 12:31

That Preston badge is a bit of backward step, the old one was much better.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2021 12:32

URZZZZ
Hound
NewCorkSeth Semedo on the wing? Remind me, have we seen that yet?

Not sure. But still prefer the idea to Aluko. Or Swift going wide.

Seem to recall Ejaria playing on the right hand side for us a couple of times and Swift has also played on the left too so there’s the option of that with Aluko/Semedo playing in the middle

Or sticking with Holmes at RB again and moving Esteves further up the pitch

Swift is an abomination outwide.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2021 12:35

NewCorkSeth Maybe play Esteves as our Right Winger? Holmes as RB? I dont like it but it might be the best we have.

Esteves has really done nothing to suggest he can play RW

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 21 Jan 2021 12:40

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Maybe play Esteves as our Right Winger? Holmes as RB? I dont like it but it might be the best we have.

Then perhaps play Holmes as our Right Winger? Esteves as RB?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2021 12:47

Snowflake Royal

Neither has Semedo tbf.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2021 12:49

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Neither has Semedo tbf.

1 goal, 2 assists, most his appearances at AM where the three behind Joao play pretty fluid, so he's spent a fair amount of his time attack from wide even when playing in the centre.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jan 2021 13:04

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Esteves has really done nothing to suggest he can play RW

Neither has Semedo tbf.

1 goal, 2 assists, most his appearances at AM where the three behind Joao play pretty fluid, so he's spent a fair amount of his time attack from wide even when playing in the centre.

Yeah that pretty much

He certainly isn’t a natural winger but he’d be ok out wide I think. Would hope he’d give the RB reasonable cover which Aluko doesn’t

But I’ll think he’ll go for Aluko

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Jan 2021 13:05

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Neither has Semedo tbf.

Those numbers are shit when you consider how many minutes he’s played.

Stop trying to make him an attacking midfielder, it’s not a thing. No matter how much Pauno plays him there and how much you want him to be, he just isn’t an attacking midfielder. And he’s certainly not a fcuking RW either. Rafael could play outfield one day for shits and he would still be a goal keeper.

Tom Mc would probably have better stats if he played as much and as far forward as Semedo has been.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2021 13:06

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Neither has Semedo tbf.

I dont see how 1 goal and 2 assists from a central position are relevant at all? Laurent and McIntyre also have 1 goal and 2 assists each.

Actually the Laurent comparison is pretty good. Laurent had also shifted out to the wing during our fluid attacking play but you would be insane to suggest playing him out there, even if we had someone to play his usual position.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2021 13:19

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Neither has Semedo tbf.

Those numbers are shit when you consider how many minutes he’s played.

Stop trying to make him an attacking midfielder, it’s not a thing. No matter how much Pauno plays him there and how much you want him to be, he just isn’t an attacking midfielder. And he’s certainly not a fcuking RW either. Rafael could play outfield one day for shits and he would still be a goal keeper.

Tom Mc would probably have better stats if he played as much and as far forward as Semedo has been.

Interesting when compared to other players who have played as part of our attacking mids.

Semedo - 1g 2a in 1134 minutes

Ejaria - 2g 4a in 1599 minutes
Olise - 4g 8a in 1546 minutes
Meite - 6g 1a in 855 minutes
Aluko - 2g 1a in 803 minutes
Swift - 1g 1a in 341 minutes

Really does suggest he is not able to impact greatly in the final 3rd but I still think he has put in some solid performances.

It is worth noting that his 2 assists came against Blackburn, and despite one being a nice pass to Joao, he didn't do the heavy lifting on either of them. Reminds me of when I praised Yiadoms assisting ability last season only to have the fact 2 of them were simple passes thrown back in my face.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jan 2021 13:20

I’d be ok with Esteves RW actually. Certainly not ideal with Holmes behind him though.

Think I’d slightly prefer it to Aluko. If Yiadom was back would be happier to see Aluko there

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2021 13:22

Hound I’d be ok with Esteves RW actually. Certainly not ideal with Holmes behind him though.

Think I’d slightly prefer it to Aluko. If Yiadom was back would be happier to see Aluko there

Luckily Preston attack down their right flank mostly.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 21 Jan 2021 13:32

Isn't the point of our midfield 3 is to being to seamlessly interchange as the game unfolds? And we dont actually use wingers in the traditional way. So I wouldn't class Olise, Aluko, Meite, Ejaria all as natural wingers and thats probably why it works.
So i would rule out Esteves in that position, unless its a formation change - or am i being thick?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2021 13:43

Coppells Lost Coat Isn't the point of our midfield 3 is to being to seamlessly interchange as the game unfolds? And we dont actually use wingers in the traditional way. So I wouldn't class Olise, Aluko, Meite, Ejaria all as natural wingers and thats probably why it works.
So i would rule out Esteves in that position, unless its a formation change - or am i being thick?

Ish yes. They do interchange quite a bit but Ejaria does very little switching. He tends to stay much more left whereas Olise goes where he wants, Swift drops deep, Meite tends to be allowed to go forward and central and Aluko kinda just floats about. It's free to a certain point and Semedo usually stays quite central, often switching with Joao more frequently than with one of the wide players.

It really depends who is on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jan 2021 13:51

NewCorkSeth
Coppells Lost Coat Isn't the point of our midfield 3 is to being to seamlessly interchange as the game unfolds? And we dont actually use wingers in the traditional way. So I wouldn't class Olise, Aluko, Meite, Ejaria all as natural wingers and thats probably why it works.

Ish yes. They do interchange quite a bit but Ejaria does very little switching. He tends to stay much more left whereas Olise goes where he wants, Swift drops deep, Meite tends to be allowed to go forward and central and Aluko kinda just floats about. It's free to a certain point and Semedo usually stays quite central, often switching with Joao more frequently than with one of the wide players.

It really depends who is on.

I think Esteves has actually played there a couple of times as sub. Not particularly well or memorably mind you

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Jan 2021 14:01

3-4-3?

Rafael
Holmes- Morrison - McIntyre
Esteves - Rino - Laurent - Richards
Swift - Joao - Ejaria

Main issue is that Swift and Ejaria both like operating in the left hand channel. Feels like Aluko is the only real option for that right hand side, though I’m sure Semedo could do a job.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Jan 2021 14:12

morganb
Snowflake Royal

Then perhaps play Holmes as our Right Winger? Esteves as RB?

Could only see that working as a kind of anti-football. Hoof it to the big guy who can beat a tiny left back or create space for Joao. Would severely restrict our attacking play.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jan 2021 14:20

NewCorkSeth
Hound I’d be ok with Esteves RW actually. Certainly not ideal with Holmes behind him though.

Luckily Preston attack down their right flank mostly.

Mostly.

359 posts