359 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a)

by Millsy » 25 Jan 2021 10:24

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Stranded
Yet Joao appears to be very popular within the squad.

Surprised at you RR, would have had more respect for this view if raised after he scored rather than after one of the few poor performances he has had this season.

Obvs the original post is nonsense but interesting to see Pauno was basically critical of his body language and partly blamed the pen miss on it

Miss Puscas a fair bit I think at times like today. Has his faults but he is work rate is excellent - like a bigger and better Baldock. And he scores pens

I’ve no doubt Karbota would fully agree

Joao spends most of most games ambling around, looking bored and throwing his arms in the air in exasperation with the odd sulk.

And he scores a shed ton of goals, produces moments of outstanding brilliance and sets up a few too.

He can be as big a twat as he likes as long as he's performing and he's been absolutely fantastic.

Would I prefer him to appear to have a better attitude on the pitch? Yeah, sure. I'm not too worried by it though.

Royal Rother, you know you make dubious point when the HNA's feature white supremacist troll thinks you make a good point!

Although I'm sure you didn't mean it like that. I don't know what he's like as a person.

But re: his 'lazy' demeanour on the pitch that's the plan FFS

It's exactly how I used to play and it's part of the gameplan. Look tired, look unbothered, look like you're not really in the game, don't have the stamina, couldn't be arsed.. lull defenders into a false sense of security. Then suddenly spring into life when the situation calls for it. I've never seen someone be bundled onto the floor and then get up immediatley, win the ball back and carry on running with it, as quickly as Joao did against Preston.

Don't be fooled by his act!

Other than that he seems a nice enough chap but again I can see why someone who wears his heart on his sleeve beats himself up when he misses a chance and turns into a grump. It's just the way he is. The most successful people tend to be very hard on themselves. I know because I am very hard on myself. And obviously the most successful person. Ever.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 25 Jan 2021 11:21

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Stranded

Surprised at you RR, would have had more respect for this view if raised after he scored rather than after one of the few poor performances he has had this season.

Obvs the original post is nonsense but interesting to see Pauno was basically critical of his body language and partly blamed the pen miss on it

Miss Puscas a fair bit I think at times like today. Has his faults but he is work rate is excellent - like a bigger and better Baldock. And he scores pens

Joao spends most of most games ambling around, looking bored and throwing his arms in the air in exasperation with the odd sulk.

And he scores a shed ton of goals, produces moments of outstanding brilliance and sets up a few too.

He can be as big a twat as he likes as long as he's performing and he's been absolutely fantastic.

Would I prefer him to appear to have a better attitude on the pitch? Yeah, sure. I'm not too worried by it though.

Going off people who have met say he is very humble and happy to admit when was at fault. Always thought he came across well in SM and interviews as well.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 25 Jan 2021 11:36

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Greatwesternline The ref can't book players until they've done series of fouls as individuals, unless they are bookable offences on their own. So not sure what more the red can do other than wait for individual players to tot up their fouls.

It's a known problem within the laws of the game that even the best sides exploit, including Barca and Althletico. Watch barca in the CL in a game they are really competing in and many of their players will individually commit 2-3 niggly fouls near the halfway line breaking up promising attacks. Yellow cards they do not make.

That’s explicitly a yellow card in the laws of the game:
There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:
commits any other offence which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball

Also ignores the fact Ledson was booked for at least his 4th cynical foul if not 5th / 6th, Browne got away with at least two and the penalty has to be a red.

The penalty red sure. But lets be clear, an awful lot of fouls in the middle of the pitch are promising situations, but not given yellows. If every clip of a fellow player that results in them flinging themselves to the floor was a yellow, there would be many red cards a match.

It would be different if the number of cumulative fouls was collective across all the players, but it isnt. Each player, we all know, has a couple of negligible yellowish offences in them before the ref will consider giving one.

The trick is to make better use of the free kicks. Simply hoofing each one into the box is not the answer. If that was the answer, teams would play with 4 forwards and do long ball all the time.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 25 Jan 2021 12:06

Snowflake Royal
South Coast Royal
Zip

Yep a bit odd from Vic. Loads of fouls with many of them cynical. Ledson was a very very lucky boy.

I think you are getting a bit soft in your old age Zip. :wink:
IIRC the medical staff didn't get on the pitch for either side -that's usually a reasonable guide as to whether it has been a particularly dirty game.

FYI Vic, dangerous / violent isn't a prerequisite of being dirty.

You can be a completely dirty team without injuring anyone or putting anyone at risk of injury.

HTH

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Jan 2021 14:30

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Stranded

Probably explains why never been a target for premier teams. Attitude and application is the downfall of many talented individuals.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2021 14:41

Lower West
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Probably explains why never been a target for premier teams. Attitude and application is the downfall of many talented individuals.

This is really the first season he's performed. Injured most of last season and always in and out of Wednesday's side with injuries and hit and miss for them.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Jan 2021 18:22

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal Joao spends most of most games ambling around, looking bored and throwing his arms in the air in exasperation with the odd sulk.

This is really the first season he's performed. Injured most of last season and always in and out of Wednesday's side with injuries and hit and miss for them.

Injury record with us isn't great.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2021 18:35

Lower West
Snowflake Royal
Lower West

Injury record with us isn't great.

Certainly not last season, but this season he's had two minor issues and only missed about 6 games from them combined.

That's fine.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 25 Jan 2021 19:57

Hound Yep that’s the other thing Swift needs to not hand off to someone else. Get him on penalty duties

Puscas is by far our best penalty taker, but he's never really on the pitch to take one lol... :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2021 21:15

Reckon McIntyre takes a mean penalty.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Jan 2021 21:45

Snowflake Royal Reckon McIntyre takes a mean penalty.

Panenka all day long.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jan 2021 08:56

I know I'm sticking my neck out here with this, but if you think about it Joao has missed a couple of penalties now and so I'm not sure he should be first-choice penalty taker anymore.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 26 Jan 2021 09:02

There are some photos doing the rounds on Twitter of everybody's favourite Preston player, Ledson, scuffing up the penalty spot - could possibly have had an effect on the penalty miss.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Jan 2021 11:15

morganb There are some photos doing the rounds on Twitter of everybody's favourite Preston player, Ledson, scuffing up the penalty spot - could possibly have had an effect on the penalty miss.

Even if that's not true he's my new player I love to hate

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Jan 2021 11:42

morganb There are some photos doing the rounds on Twitter of everybody's favourite Preston player, Ledson, scuffing up the penalty spot - could possibly have had an effect on the penalty miss.

Yeah, like, I don't really have a problem with him doing this if he did - or committing a load of niggly fouls to break up our play.
That's part of his job, and he did it well. Maybe we could get a bit of that gamesmanship/sh*thousery into our team too.

What I do have a problem with is the referee failing to do his job, and stopping Ledson acting like that. I mean, that is literally why he is on the pitch?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jan 2021 11:51

muirinho

Yeah, like, I don't really have a problem with him doing this if he did - or committing a load of niggly fouls to break up our play.
That's part of his job, and he did it well. Maybe we could get a bit of that gamesmanship/sh*thousery into our team too.

What I do have a problem with is the referee failing to do his job, and stopping Ledson acting like that. I mean, that is literally why he is on the pitch?

It's not the first time an opposing player has done it, I think there should be rules in place that no other players than the kicker can approach the penalty spot once the penalty has been awarded but until such a rule exists, the attacking team's players should do their best to guard the penalty spot to prevent any foul play.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Jan 2021 15:22

tidus_mi2
muirinho

It's not the first time an opposing player has done it, I think there should be rules in place that no other players than the kicker can approach the penalty spot once the penalty has been awarded but until such a rule exists, the attacking team's players should do their best to guard the penalty spot to prevent any foul play.

I reckon if we tried that our players would end up getting booked

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2021 12:06

Yellow card for unsportsmanlike behaviour.... that's still a thing isn't it?

It could go with the other 4 yellow cards he deserved but didn't get.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Jan 2021 16:56

Ledson is a cheeky dirty cnut, surprised ref just let him get away with it.

359 posts