461 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Bournemouth (h)

by Sutekh » 26 Jan 2021 14:15

When : Friday 29 January 2021, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Another game on SKY sees Reading take on one of the best sides in the division in Bournemouth on Friday. Another chance to improve on the pretty pathetic 5 wins from the last 22 games on SKY. Another chance to get some form of a point off of Bournemouth for the first time since a 2-2 home draw back in March 2002 and a real chance to consolidate in the top 6 as Bournemouth are in 6th place, 2 points behind Reading from the same number of games.

But it won’t be easy as we know, Bournemouth still carry a PL size squad and still have PL quality players throughout. They have also proven themselves very resilient and capable even when trailing as the 4-2 reverse Reading suffered earlier this season proves. The first half of that reverse though should prove to Reading’s players they have what it takes to make it very difficult and awkward for Bournemouth, so if that can be replicated while the ineptitude of the second half from that earlier game is dismissed there’s every chance of getting some points from this one.

Dominic Solanke is the leading scorer, his 10 goals are 3 more than the second highest scorer, Junior Stanislas, and 5 more than the next highest, Arnaut Groeneveld. Solanke has already scored twice against Reading so he’s going to be the major striking threat to nail down. The star player though, IMO, is young Welsh international midfielder David Brooks who is a very creative nuisance. Lastly the Reading connection of Jack Stacey should mean he is really going to be up for the game while former Reading “possible” Rodrigo Riquelme will offer nuisance value from the bench.

One positive from Reading’s perspective is that Bournemouth have hit a bit of a sticky patch form wise and have only 1 win and 2 draws from the last 6 league games played however we know from experience that the arrival of out of form opponents sometimes seems to encourage Reading performances to veer towards the embarrassing.

Bournemouth will be without the services of Junior Stanislas for the game but Jack Wilshere may make his return to league football (most likely from the bench) if he comes through tonight’s cup tie with Crawley. Reading will hopefully see the return of both Andy Yiadom and Yakou Meite to the squad, though whether either are able to be considered to start the game remains to be seen. Araruna, Moore and Puscas all remain out while Michael Olise’s shoulder problem will hopefully have improved sufficiently for him to return to the starting XI.

Don’t forget, this is also another chance to play SKY commentator cliche bingo...

Referee

James Linington

Previously....

04 Jul 20 > Luton Town 0-5 Reading
28 Jan 20 > Reading 0-1 Bristol City
26 Dec 19 > Reading 1-0 Queens Park Rangers
03 Aug 19 > Reading 1-3 Sheffield Wednesday
08 Dec 18 > Reading 0-2 Sheffield United
03 Nov 18 > Reading 3-2 Bristol City
06 Mar 18 > Reading 1-1 Bolton Wanderers
02 Jan 18 > Reading 0-2 Birmingham City
09 Sep 17 > Reading 0-1 Bristol City
08 Apr 17 > Norwich City 7-1 Reading
24 Sep 16 > Reading 1-0 Huddersfield Town
21 Nov 15 > Reading 2-1 Bolton Wanderers
02 May 15 > Derby County 0-3 Reading
28 Dec 14 > Reading 2-1 Norwich City
21 Nov 14 > Cardiff City 2-1 Reading
12 Aug 14 > Reading 3-1 Newport County (League Cup)
10 Sep 11 > Reading 0-2 Watford
30 Apr 11 > Coventry City 0-0 Reading
22 Jan 11 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
02 May 10 > Reading 4-0 Preston North End
30 Jan 10 > Reading 1-0 Barnsley

Historically

Bournemouth are Reading’s most frequent league opponent with 105 previous meetings, so this is the 53rd league game between the two sides in Reading.

Reading have lost both of the last 2 home games played against the Cherries and not won any of the previous 4 so have something to avenge on top of the poor return from the earlier game this season.

Overall Reading have managed 30 wins at home while Bournemouth have 13 victories which leaves 9 occasions where the points have been shared.

How to follow the game

1. Live on Sky
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription (audio only)
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bournemouth (h)

by South Coast Royal » 26 Jan 2021 15:31

Here's hoping for extra-time and penalties tonight in their FA Cup game v Crawley and that Crawley rough them up a bit.

The Crawley manager is really looking forward to this game and I suspect he will be geeing his players up even more than usually as he was sacked by Bournemouth about 6 years ago and bears a grudge because of the way he was treated and the paucity of his financial settlement.

As for Friday I hope Olise won't be wrapped up in cotton wool again and is actually allowed to play-that shoulder surely has to be tested under match conditions some day?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2021 15:54

Rafael
Holmes Morro McIntyre Richards
Laurent Rino
Olise Swift Ejaria
Joao

Southwood Yiadom Meite Aluko Baldock Esteves Gibson Semedo Tetek

Proper options on the bench and nearly full strength first 11

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jan 2021 16:04

Hound Rafael
Laurent Rino
Olise Swift Ejaria
Joao

Yep loads of options on the bench. We would then only have three out through injury one of whom (Araruna) would struggle to make the squad.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2021 16:06

Zip
Hound Rafael
Laurent Rino
Olise Swift Ejaria
Joao

Yep loads of options on the bench. We would then only have three out through injury one of whom (Araruna) would struggle to make the squad.

Guess its a bit horses for courses and depending on form, but what would be first choice? That team plus Yiadom for Holmes, Meite for Ejaria and Moore for McIntyre?

Then add Puscas to the bench for Tetek, and maybe Araruna for Gibson?

Could definitely argue the second and third there at the moment, but defo looking forward to having Yiadom back

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 Jan 2021 16:09

Might be temped to start with Yiadom, he had an hour with the U23's and they caused havoc down our right in the second half last time out.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jan 2021 16:14

Hound
Zip
Hound Rafael
Laurent Rino
Olise Swift Ejaria
Joao

Guess its a bit horses for courses and depending on form, but what would be first choice? That team plus Yiadom for Holmes, Meite for Ejaria and Moore for McIntyre?

Could definitely argue the second and third there at the moment, but defo looking forward to having Yiadom back

I think Yiadom does come back in. Does Moore definitely go straight back in ahead of McIntyre? That would be incredibly hard on Tom especially as we are hardly conceding. I think Olise will drop out for Yaks. It’s another tough call though but Olise doesn’t always start whereas Ovie does.

Nice to have some serious options.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Jan 2021 16:15

Hound
Zip
Hound Rafael
Laurent Rino
Olise Swift Ejaria
Joao

From your original bench, would have Puscas, Araruna and Moore in for Tetek, Gibson and Esteves with everyone fit although Aluko/Baldock may find themselves out of the squad if we opt for more defenders on the bench

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 26 Jan 2021 16:18

Hound Rafael
Laurent Rino
Olise Swift Ejaria
Joao

Might be controversial, but i would put Aluko in instead of Ejaria. I do think Ejaria slows the game up too many times, and for too many games I have seen him standing still asking for the ball, clogging up the midfield.
Am i starting to warm to Aluko..........yes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jan 2021 16:19

Coppells Lost Coat
Hound Rafael
Laurent Rino
Olise Swift Ejaria
Joao

Might be controversial, but i would put Aluko in instead of Ejaria. I do think Ejaria slows the game up too many times, and for too many games I have seen him standing still asking for the ball, clogging up the midfield.
Am i starting to warm to Aluko..........yes.

Aluko is doing ok but still lacks an end product.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2021 16:21

interesting, I didnt see a lot in Aluko's performance the other day tbh. It was ok. One nice shot, and a few bits of alright stuff

Ovie was top class the game before - I didnt think he had too bad a game on Sunday either tbh

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 26 Jan 2021 16:27

Maybe i have such a high hopes every time Ovie gets the ball and the opposite for Aluko. Just wish Ejaria would do something with the ball after maybe 1 or 2 touches.
But Aluko in my eyes has played his way into the squad.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jan 2021 16:29

Hound interesting, I didnt see a lot in Aluko's performance the other day tbh. It was ok. One nice shot, and a few bits of alright stuff

Ovie was top class the game before - I didnt think he had too bad a game on Sunday either tbh

I thought Aluko played pretty well on Sunday. A good effort on goal. A nice set piece delivered to TMac who nearly scored. Some really nice flicks and touches here and there. He is doing ok. Just need a few more assists from him. Certainly a decent bench option these days.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2021 16:30

He's done ok, Aluko. Happy for him to have contribute before he goes, and make it feel the transfer wasnt a complete waste of time. He's covered positions well and I don't mind him on the bench - would consider him if Swift needed to come off for whatever reason

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jan 2021 18:16

Bournemouth have put a surprisingly strong team out tonight.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 26 Jan 2021 19:01

Very surprised by that line up. Obvs don’t want to risk being embarrassed by the mighty Crawley on the tele.

Trying to regain some confidence and form before they play us? I hope this backfires...

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jan 2021 19:48

Jack Wilshire scores on his debut! Hopefully not quite up to playing two games in the same week.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 27 Jan 2021 01:54

They’ve been in poor form lately, so hopefully we can take advantage of their low confidence as they’ve only won one in six in the league. Would be bloody typical if they decide they’ll start performing again here though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Jan 2021 04:46

Hound
Zip
Hound Rafael
Laurent Rino
Olise Swift Ejaria
Joao

Something like:
Rafael, Yiadom, Morrison, Moore, Richards, Rinomhota, Laurent, Meite, Swift, Ejaria, Joao
Southwood, Holmes, McIntyre, Araruna, Semedo, Aluko, Olise, Puscas, and then one of Gibson/Tetek/Baldock. I’d lean towards Tetek.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Jan 2021 08:19

SCIAG
Hound
Zip

Something like:
Rafael, Yiadom, Morrison, Moore, Richards, Rinomhota, Laurent, Meite, Swift, Ejaria, Joao
Southwood, Holmes, McIntyre, Araruna, Semedo, Aluko, Olise, Puscas, and then one of Gibson/Tetek/Baldock. I’d lean towards Tetek.

I think Esteves gets in the squad.

461 posts