Tom Mc - Scotland

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Tom Mc - Scotland

by Nameless » 30 Jan 2021 13:52

How are Scotland off for centre backs ?
With Tom Mc getting rave reviews on national tv it can’t be crazy to suggest he might be close to a full cap and a shot at the Euros.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Tom Mc - Scotland

by Franchise FC » 30 Jan 2021 14:13

Nameless How are Scotland off for centre backs ?
With Tom Mc getting rave reviews on national tv it can’t be crazy to suggest he might be close to a full cap and a shot at the Euros.

Is Hansen still alive ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jan 2021 14:35

Last squad Scotland selected included the following centre back options...

Scott McKenna (Forest)
Kieran Tierney (Arsenal)
Declan Gallagher (Motherwell)
Liam Cooper (Leeds)
Andrew Considine (Aberdeen)

Considine is 33 and can also play left back
Gallagher and Cooper are both 29 and Cooper can also play as a left back

None of the above are particularly experienced on the international stage, McKenna (another who can do a job at left back) and Tierney have just 34 caps between them while the other 3 have just 15 between them.

Therefore, unless there are more experienced players who were injured back in November, I would suggest there’s a reasonable chance of McIntyre getting a look in in one of Scotland’s pre-Euros friendlies if his form holds over the next 2/3 weeks. However the issue is he could lose out altogether when Liam Moore returns to Reading’s team from injury next month. Going to be a difficult decision for VP that one.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Jan 2021 14:38

Sutekh Last squad Scotland selected included the following centre back options...

Scott McKenna (Forest)
Kieran Tierney (Arsenal)
Declan Gallagher (Motherwell)
Liam Cooper (Leeds)
Andrew Considine (Aberdeen)

Considine is 33 and can also play left back
Gallagher and Cooper are both 29 and Cooper can also play as a left back

None of the above are particularly experienced on the international stage, McKenna (another who can do a job at left back) and Tierney have just 34 caps between them while the other 3 have just 15 between them.

Therefore, unless there are more experienced players who were injured back in November, I would suggest there’s a reasonable chance of McIntyre getting a look in in one of Scotland’s pre-Euros friendlies if his form holds over the next 2/3 weeks. However the issue is he could lose out altogether when Liam Moore returns to Reading’s team from injury next month. Going to be a difficult decision for VP that one.

Grant Hanley?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 30 Jan 2021 15:11

I’ve seen some of the Scottish suggest he should be called up to the full squad for the Euros. It seems already he isn’t too far away.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 30 Jan 2021 15:18

Would the Scotland Manager bother to keep up with what Reading and their players are doing at the moment? In case you don't remember his name is Steve Clarke.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jan 2021 15:20

TiagoIlori I’ve seen some of the Scottish suggest he should be called up to the full squad for the Euros. It seems already he isn’t too far away.

Having been a regular in the u21 squad he’s clearly on the radar.
As he’s also England qualified it would make sense for Scotland to get him capped and committed.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jan 2021 15:21

The Royal Forester Would the Scotland Manager bother to keep up with what Reading and their players are doing at the moment? In case you don't remember his name is Steve Clarke.

I think it’s more a question of the Scotland manager keeping up with what Scottish players are doing, but certainly Clark will be very aware of McIntyre

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Jan 2021 22:21

Sutekh However the issue is he could lose out altogether when Liam Moore returns to Reading’s team from injury next month. Going to be a difficult decision for VP that one.

Some weeks away from match fitness though. Why change a settled back four unless you need to.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 01 Feb 2021 11:59

Nameless
The Royal Forester Would the Scotland Manager bother to keep up with what Reading and their players are doing at the moment? In case you don't remember his name is Steve Clarke.

I think it’s more a question of the Scotland manager keeping up with what Scottish players are doing, but certainly Clark will be very aware of McIntyre

Not been concentrating last couple of seasons, but is Tom Jim's son?
(Jim's had some involvement with the Scottish squad, though maybe not since he was sacked by Dundee?)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Feb 2021 13:42

glenroyal
Nameless

Not been concentrating last couple of seasons, but is Tom Jim's son?
(Jim's had some involvement with the Scottish squad, though maybe not since he was sacked by Dundee?)

No ! TMac has lived in Reading all his life. JMac left Reading in 2001. No connection at all....

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Feb 2021 14:31

Fair question given that we had Jordan Holsgrove around the youth set up which is equally ludicrous at first glance.

Scotland have a lot of Championship level centre backs but no really impressive players. They’ve used the likes of Scott McTominay and Kieran Tierney at centre back in recent matches to make up the numbers. Can see Tom being in with a shout.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 01 Feb 2021 21:44

Nameless
No ! TMac has lived in Reading all his life. JMac left Reading in 2001. No connection at all....

Ta.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 Feb 2021 22:02

He should have a good chance, I think I could probably get into the Scotland squad

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Feb 2021 12:55

Brilliant again last night. Really hope we tie him down asap. I've accepted that we're going to lose Richards, and there's not a lot we can do about it, but if we lose McIntyre it will be criminal, considering I imagine it would take very little to persuade him to stay,

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Feb 2021 13:24

yep those contract negotiations really need to be tied up very quickly. Had Toney completely in his pocket for the first 85 mins or so. Been really impressed with him, esp bouncing back from Preston which will do all him all sorts of good long term. One of those players who is very good in the air despite not being especially tall.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Feb 2021 13:30

As said previously, Tom seems like the type of person to be willing to play for RFC whether he got paid or not :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Feb 2021 14:07

Hendo As said previously, Tom seems like the type of person to be willing to play for RFC whether he got paid or not :lol:

would rather we didn't put that to the test though :)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Feb 2021 10:48

Hound yep those contract negotiations really need to be tied up very quickly. Had Toney completely in his pocket for the first 85 mins or so. Been really impressed with him, esp bouncing back from Preston which will do all him all sorts of good long term. One of those players who is very good in the air despite not being especially tall.

Also a left footed CB which seems a bit of a rarity, do like the right footed - left footed CB partnership as it helps with quicker progression of play - will be interesting to see what happens when Moore returns though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Feb 2021 10:52

I think he showed incredible progress in the Brentford game where he positioned himself so much better to compensate for his lack of pace/acceleration.

Not sure if it was on purpose but I noticed Richards swept up behind him frequently. It gave McIntyre the freedom to move forward a bit and win duels in the air while not exposing us to swift attacks. Good management.