MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (a)

280 posts
Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (a)

by Coppells Lost Coat » 04 Feb 2021 12:37

Stoke is always going to be a physical game. Players like Olise will have to learn to cope with these teams eventually. So i have no issue with starting Olise. And really if they start fouling to stop our players, it does play into our hands. We have Morrison, Laurent, Holmes, Joao and Tmac all huge threats on set pieces....with swift or Olise taking them. Bring it on.
I wouldn't be surprised to see same 11 as Bournemouth. With Yaidom replacing Richards 70 min mark.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 04 Feb 2021 12:42

Tbh all the forward players seem to have been allowed to express themselves more under Pauno. That’s Ovie’s style of play, he’s not a ‘get it to the byline and ping in a cross’ type of player. He’s doing a brilliant job learning the wide role (its not his natural position), absolutely love seeing him cut inside with defenders falling over themselves and long may his progress continue.
Last edited by royalp-we on 04 Feb 2021 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Feb 2021 12:42

Coppells Lost Coat Stoke is always going to be a physical game. Players like Olise will have to learn to cope with these teams eventually. So i have no issue with starting Olise. And really if they start fouling to stop our players, it does play into our hands. We have Morrison, Laurent, Holmes, Joao and Tmac all huge threats on set pieces....with swift or Olise taking them. Bring it on.
I wouldn't be surprised to see same 11 as Bournemouth. With Yaidom replacing Richards 70 min mark.

Yiadom is a right back.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 04 Feb 2021 12:48

windermereROYAL
Coppells Lost Coat Stoke is always going to be a physical game. Players like Olise will have to learn to cope with these teams eventually. So i have no issue with starting Olise. And really if they start fouling to stop our players, it does play into our hands. We have Morrison, Laurent, Holmes, Joao and Tmac all huge threats on set pieces....with swift or Olise taking them. Bring it on.

Yiadom is a right back.

Thanks for letting me know.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Feb 2021 13:23

Why on earth would we take Richards off?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 04 Feb 2021 14:02

I am not saying that should happen. i think Yaidom needs some more minutes and prefer to keep Holmes on for a more physical presence.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Feb 2021 14:03

Coppells Lost Coat I am not saying that should happen. i think Yaidom needs some more minutes and prefer to keep Holmes on for a more physical presence.

Depends on what the score line is, I guess. If its 0-3 with 15 minutes to go, no problem with taking Holmes off :D

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 04 Feb 2021 14:30

Coppells Lost Coat I am not saying that should happen. i think Yaidom needs some more minutes and prefer to keep Holmes on for a more physical presence.

No Richards is our most reliable player.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Feb 2021 14:49

I would understand that if Richards didn't have one of the best records in the division for tackles, stopping dribbles past, closing down crosses and interceptions.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 04 Feb 2021 15:35

NewCorkSeth

I would understand that if Richards didn't have one of the best records in the division for tackles, stopping dribbles past, closing down crosses and interceptions.

Joao or Ejaria also should never be subbed off then?
I didn't mean because he is shit he should be subbed. We need to look after key players. Most injuries come towards the end of games. We have players on the bench to help.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Feb 2021 15:47

Coppells Lost Coat
NewCorkSeth

Joao or Ejaria also should never be subbed off then?
I didn't mean because he is shit he should be subbed. We need to look after key players. Most injuries come towards the end of games. We have players on the bench to help.

Well. You could play that card if you hadn't played the "prefer to keep Holmes on for a more physical presence" one moments before.

You can't, on one hand, argue to keep a player on for competitive reason while, on the other hand disregard competitive reasons when suggesting who should be subbed off.

Well. You can. You can do whatever you want in hypothetical pre match discussion. But you shouldn't let people thinking its a silly suggestion get to you. We are all here to discuss it and disagreements pop up from time to time.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 04 Feb 2021 16:15

You mean, I shouldn't get annoyed on the internet, who knew :D
I never disregarded the competitive reasons - Richards is better. Thats why he is vital to keep fit. We have good cover at RB.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2021 17:47

Hound Not strictly related to this game, but noticed Ejaria was the second highest who scored rater in the division for January (first was Joao). Surprising considering even some of his biggest fans would probably describe his form as mixed at best

He is fifth overall for the season on there behind Kieffer Moore, Toney, Joao and Buendia

Do wonder if we actually under-rate him a bit sometimes

It's a mixture

Whoscored's ratings aren't that great because they fail to take into account things that aren't easily rated with a number, and they can't possibly weight all the numbers they measure accurately. It's best used for individual things like how many of x does player y do, rather than creating an overall value.

But equally, I'm perfectly happy to admit his play style isn't to my tastes and so I will underrate him at times. Plus, part of the frustration with him is often not what he's done, but what more we feel he is capable of having done.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Feb 2021 19:49

Ejaria works his nuts off and does the defensive side of his duties well. He also wins loads of free-kicks which often alleviate the pressure inside our own half
He does dwell on the ball at times and could weigh in with a few more goals but that will come. He is a terrific player for us.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 Feb 2021 21:44

Zip Ejaria works his nuts off and does the defensive side of his duties well. He also wins loads of free-kicks which often alleviate the pressure inside our own half
He does dwell on the ball at times and could weigh in with a few more goals but that will come. He is a terrific player for us.

Agree - one of first names on team sheet for me. Reading other fan's sites he is nearly always sounded out as a main threat

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Feb 2021 01:53

NewCorkSeth Do we start Meite for his physicality or bring him on in the second half after they are a bit tired?

Heaven knows they have to foul Ejaria, Olise and Swift to stop them when they really get going around the box. Could be smart to bet on wearing them down before bringing on Meote who is, by far, our most direct player.

Personally, I would start Meite, but can see it from both sides

As others have alluded to, it does take him a couple of games to get back to his top form - and I think I’d rather see that from the start, than as a game changing option (if that’s required). 20/25 minutes to get back into the swing of things isn’t as much as a problem starting a game than as a sub. Also, as mentioned, Pauno rarely plays Olise three times in a week and out the three games, I’d perhaps say he’s more suited to Brentford than Stoke/Millwall

But would certainly still be happy to see Olise start - he’s in decent form, and particularly his set pieces are causing huge problems for the opposition

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Feb 2021 08:58

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Do we start Meite for his physicality or bring him on in the second half after they are a bit tired?

Heaven knows they have to foul Ejaria, Olise and Swift to stop them when they really get going around the box. Could be smart to bet on wearing them down before bringing on Meote who is, by far, our most direct player.

As others have alluded to, it does take him a couple of games to get back to his top form - and I think I’d rather see that from the start, than as a game changing option (if that’s required). 20/25 minutes to get back into the swing of things isn’t as much as a problem starting a game than as a sub. Also, as mentioned, Pauno rarely plays Olise three times in a week and out the three games, I’d perhaps say he’s more suited to Brentford than Stoke/Millwall

But would certainly still be happy to see Olise start - he’s in decent form, and particularly his set pieces are causing huge problems for the opposition

I suppose Brentford have conceded 8 non penalty set pieces compared to Stokes 6. But given we have scored 11, joint second highest in the league, it makes sense to maximise on the threat.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 05 Feb 2021 11:52

URZZZZ

Didn’t think he was that great against a Bourne mouth.A young player like Olise must be handled carefully,maybe sit on the bench for this one.Particularly as Meite is back.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 05 Feb 2021 12:24

I'd start Olise as the way Stoke play I can see them giving away soft fouls every time they get near him. Some of those are going to be within shooting range. Then bring Meite on with 20 mins to go when Stoke get fed up with chasing shadows.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Feb 2021 12:52

This is the sort of game we need to win if we are serious re autos, but for a play off side a draw would be acceptable.

280 posts