MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h)

402 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h)

by Zip » 07 Feb 2021 21:12

Brentford fans laughing at Karbota on their messageboard. What they don’t realise is that we laugh at him too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2021 21:15

Apparently we’ve conceded the least amount of goals (2) of any EFL team in the last 6

Shame this one isn’t on Sky so they couldn’t show their favourite least conceded/most conceded graphic again back in reverse

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Feb 2021 21:17

Zip Brentford fans laughing at Karbota on their messageboard. What they don’t realise is that we laugh at him too.

Well now they will.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2021 21:20

tidus_mi2
Zip Brentford fans laughing at Karbota on their messageboard. What they don’t realise is that we laugh at him too.

Well now they will.

Imagine if every club thought Karbota represented the Reading fan base

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Feb 2021 21:33

Hound Apparently we’ve conceded the least amount of goals (2) of any EFL team in the last 6

Shame this one isn’t on Sky so they couldn’t show their favourite least conceded/most conceded graphic again back in reverse

Isn’t it great we have done this with three Academy boys in the back four. Can’t recall if Richards has played in all six but its impressive.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Feb 2021 21:56

I’m guessing Brentford must have several black and/or foreign defenders?

On that note it’s actually a little bit weird how British our team is. We usually pick eight or nine players who are either eligible to represent England or were born here (Aluko, Yiadom). By contrast the 05/06 team had five foreigners in the XI, McDermott’s team the same, Stam’s team was a little harder to pin down but I make it seven foreigners including Gunter. Bit of a reversal of the long term trend towards more foreign players enforced by our FFP issues?

Away from our resident fruitcake, this is going to be a tough game. I’d take a point now but if we’re at our best we have every chance of getting three.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Feb 2021 22:01

SCIAG

I’m guessing Brentford must have several black and/or foreign defenders?

On that note it’s actually a little bit weird how British our team is. We usually pick eight or nine players who are either eligible to represent England or were born here (Aluko, Yiadom). By contrast the 05/06 team had five foreigners in the XI, McDermott’s team the same, Stam’s team was a little harder to pin down but I make it seven foreigners including Gunter. Bit of a reversal of the long term trend towards more foreign players enforced by our FFP issues?

Away from our resident fruitcake, this is going to be a tough game. I’d take a point now but if we’re at our best we have every chance of getting three.

I’d like the three from this one just to get us right in the automatic promotion mix. It is a big ask as Brentford will go into the game thinking they are unbeatable. If we play as we can then we definitely can win.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Feb 2021 23:06

Do we?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Feb 2021 23:39

windermereROYAL I`ve just dug out the stats from the away game Brentford scored with 3 of their 4 on target shots remember the Raphael clanger for the 1st) we had 5, possession 56%-44% to us, obviously a lot of that could have been in our own half.
You don`t go 20 games unbeaten without being a decent side but after the horrendous first half hour we more than matched them.

Odds on the same tactics will be used by Brentford. High press. With pressure on our full backs. Gives us no way out passing from the back. The games we've performed badly in this season have followed very similar patterns.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Feb 2021 09:07

URZZZZ

Do we?

We certainly do on AE

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Feb 2021 09:44

Zip
URZZZZ

Do we?

We certainly do on AE

Laugh, sneer, walk away in disgust much of a muchness.

Although he has a few like minded chums.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Feb 2021 10:14

So, Ivan Toney is top scorer in the Championship with 22 goals and Joao is now 7 goals behind him on 15. Do we think Joao will be extra fired up for this one wanting to prove he's the better goalscorer (and will he have been emphasising to our defence how important it is for Toney to not score)?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Feb 2021 11:11

Hendo
Lower West
windermereROYAL Only 3 goals conceded since we lost to them before Christmas 7 games ago, one of them was when the wall parted against Bournemouth so maybe not is all lost.

Brentford meanwhile have scored 19 goals in the 7 league games since. Not failing to score in any of them.

However more than a third of those came in 1 game.

That still makes it 2 per game average for all the other games which included Swansea and 'Boro away.

We shouldn't be frightened of anybody because on our day we are as good as any but we definitely need to be on it this Wednesday to get anything from the game.

I think the £10 for i-follow will be well spent for this one , unlike for Saturday's drab affair at Stoke where we were reminded how dull games can often be in The Championship.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Feb 2021 11:13

morganb So, Ivan Toney is top scorer in the Championship with 22 goals and Joao is now 7 goals behind him on 15. Do we think Joao will be extra fired up for this one wanting to prove he's the better goalscorer (and will he have been emphasising to our defence how important it is for Toney to not score)?

No.
I think Joao gets goals when he gets the service rather than by him being fired up personally.
So he might be asking others to give him a bit more to work with than he got at Stoke.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Feb 2021 11:21

Forecast to be proper cold Wednesday. As low as -5 overnight

Chance to see if the under soil heating is working

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Feb 2021 12:14

Zip Brentford eased off in the second half though. However we had an injury ravaged side out that day. We will be much stronger on Wednesday. We can certainly win this.

Sorry mate but thats nonsense, teams do not ease off just because they are a few goals up, they scored seven against Wycombe just a couple of games ago. i like my glass half full rather than half empty so i see the stats as encouraging.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Feb 2021 12:31

windermereROYAL
Zip Brentford eased off in the second half though. However we had an injury ravaged side out that day. We will be much stronger on Wednesday. We can certainly win this.

Sorry mate but thats nonsense, teams do not ease off just because they are a few goals up, they scored seven against Wycombe just a couple of games ago. i like my glass half full rather than half empty so i see the stats as encouraging.

That's exactly what some teams do if they want to conserve energy for bigger games ahead, which is a possibility given their next game was the League Cup quarter final

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Feb 2021 12:33

URZZZZ
windermereROYAL

That's exactly what some teams do if they want to conserve energy for bigger games ahead, which is a possibility given their next game was the League Cup quarter final

I must admit that when watching, I thought Brentford did ease off a little bit in that second half, they didn't nearly go forward as much as they did in the first half. Whether this was because we played better in the second half or they really eased off, I am not too sure.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Feb 2021 12:44

Another chance for Fosu to shine and prove to be the second biggest transfer mistake Reading have made behind Antonio.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Feb 2021 13:16

paultheroyal Another chance for Fosu to shine and prove to be the second biggest transfer mistake Reading have made behind Antonio.

You thought selling Antonio was a mistake? Why haven't you mentioned it before?

402 posts