MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h)

402 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h)

by Nameless » 08 Feb 2021 13:36

paultheroyal Another chance for Fosu to shine and prove to be the second biggest transfer mistake Reading have made behind Antonio.

Neither of those are close to being our biggest ‘mistake’ though
Your biggest obsession perhaps, but that’s not the same thing at all....

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 08 Feb 2021 13:48

This is definitely winnable, I wasn't hugely impressed with them against Bristol last week and their defence is suspect on set plays, and Frank admitted on Sat it was no way a 4-1 game, and as said when we played them before Christmas we had 12 out I believe.

Play like we did against Bournemouth and we can win this.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Feb 2021 13:56

Nameless
paultheroyal Another chance for Fosu to shine and prove to be the second biggest transfer mistake Reading have made behind Antonio.

Agreed.
Over the years the club has done many things wrong but it can't be accused of getting rid of many who went on to have a sparkling career elsewhere, in fact the opposite in that very often they haven't done as well.

A few examples:-
Kitson
Doyle
Lita
Senior
Tshibola
Blackman
Decent money received for all of these and there have of course been hundreds of others over the years who have not achieved much after leaving us and the same goes for all clubs.
For Long, McCarthy and Kerry Dixon we received good fees and in Dixon's case, as with Neil Webb, the club badly needed the money.

Dickie has got back to our level and Fosu is an in and out selection at Brentford but apart from Antonio, who looked almost non-league for us, I can't think of many who we have let go as 19,20,21 year olds who have then gone on to play successfully at a higher level.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 08 Feb 2021 14:04

South Coast Royal
Nameless

Agreed.
Over the years the club has done many things wrong but it can't be accused of getting rid of many who went on to have a sparkling career elsewhere, in fact the opposite in that very often they haven't done as well.

Kitson
Doyle
Lita
Senior
Tshibola
Blackman
Decent money received for all of these and there have of course been hundreds of others over the years who have not achieved much after leaving us and the same goes for all clubs.
For Long, McCarthy and Kerry Dixon we received good fees and in Dixon's case, as with Neil Webb, the club badly needed the money.

Dickie has got back to our level and Fosu is an in and out selection at Brentford but apart from Antonio, who looked almost non-league for us, I can't think of many who we have let go as 19,20,21 year olds who have then gone on to play successfully at a higher level.

I am sure Brentford are more gutted about the Hunt / Sonko and Ivar coming here for the bargain £150k combined.
Also i have no sour grapes on our dealings with young, raw players let go to be given a chance to play - very happy to see those guys play out their dreams.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 Feb 2021 14:12

South Coast Royal
Nameless

Agreed.

Kitson
Doyle
Lita
Senior
Tshibola
Blackman

Liam Kelly can be added to that list too, he was awesome for us

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Feb 2021 14:14

windermereROYAL
Zip Brentford eased off in the second half though. However we had an injury ravaged side out that day. We will be much stronger on Wednesday. We can certainly win this.

Sorry mate but thats nonsense, teams do not ease off just because they are a few goals up, they scored seven against Wycombe just a couple of games ago. i like my glass half full rather than half empty so i see the stats as encouraging.

The game was won before half time. They didn’t look to attack in the second half.They just looked to contain us and definitely sat back.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Feb 2021 14:15

South Coast Royal
Nameless

Agreed.

Kitson
Doyle
Lita
Senior
Tshibola
Blackman

so you agree with me - cheers.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Feb 2021 14:18

Zip
windermereROYAL
Zip Brentford eased off in the second half though. However we had an injury ravaged side out that day. We will be much stronger on Wednesday. We can certainly win this.

Sorry mate but thats nonsense, teams do not ease off just because they are a few goals up, they scored seven against Wycombe just a couple of games ago. i like my glass half full rather than half empty so i see the stats as encouraging.

The game was won before half time. They didn’t look to attack in the second half.They just looked to contain us and definitely sat back.

For the Brentford away game, see the Bournemouth home win. Game won, just shut it out.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Feb 2021 14:24

I've said it recently but just for confirmation.

ANTONIO. WOULD. NOT. BE. THE. SAME. PLAYER. HE. IS. TODAY. IF. HE. HAD. STAYED. AT. READING. FC.

JFC.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Feb 2021 14:28

Stranded
Zip
windermereROYAL

For the Brentford away game, see the Bournemouth home win. Game won, just shut it out.

Yep. I thought of using that as a reference point. Very similar.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Feb 2021 14:31

Hendo I've said it recently but just for confirmation.

ANTONIO. WOULD. NOT. BE. THE. SAME. PLAYER. HE. IS. TODAY. IF. HE. HAD. STAYED. AT. READING. FC.

JFC.

Some people don't get it - and I'm not sure they ever will either

Glad Fosu is doing well (although not from a competitive perspective!), he clearly had some form of talent here but I always thought his application would let him down, clear to see he's improved with regards to that (although you'd notice he had to drop down a division for a couple of seasons to improve)

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Feb 2021 14:40

Zip
Stranded
Zip

Yep. I thought of using that as a reference point. Very similar.

+1 While Bournemouth did step it up a gear in the second half, we were a) barely troubled and b) we happy for them to come onto us more than us pushing for a 4th from the get-go.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Feb 2021 14:41

JFC.

Yeah agreed, probably better, holding our own in the Premier League and with a value of £40M.

HTH.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Feb 2021 14:41

Paul isguaranteed a reaction everytime he throws this one into the pot. Can’t be many posters with such a reliable grenade !
Fair play....

Bit surprised SCR included Doyle in his list of players who left and didn’t do much. He had a pretty decent career post Reading.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Feb 2021 14:47

Nameless Paul isguaranteed a reaction everytime he throws this one into the pot. Can’t be many posters with such a reliable grenade !
Fair play....

Bit surprised SCR included Doyle in his list of players who left and didn’t do much. He had a pretty decent career post Reading.

:wink:

and to think i was talking about Fosu.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Feb 2021 14:49

paultheroyal

JFC.

Yeah agreed, probably better, holding our own in the Premier League and with a value of £40M.

HTH.

Yeah.... no, just wouldn't have happened.

Was never getting ahead of GMac, McAnuff, Kebe, HRK or Obita the year he left or for the next few years. As others have said, he looked raw and probably had something about him, but wouldn't have looked out of place in non-league the year he made his debut. Would've wasted away in the reserves/u23s and ended up moving down the divisions too late to ever develop into the player he is today.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Feb 2021 15:13

paultheroyal
Nameless Paul isguaranteed a reaction everytime he throws this one into the pot. Can’t be many posters with such a reliable grenade !
Fair play....

:wink:

and to think i was talking about Fosu.

Scratching my head as to how releasing a couple of raw but promising kids comes close to wasting millions on the likes of Fae and Halford in terms of poor transfer decisions....

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Feb 2021 15:20

Fair play....

By some way not as good as when with us IMHO.

At Reading he scored 55 in 157 appearances
At Wolves he scored 30 in 164 appearances.
He stayed with Wolves as they slid down to Div 1.
Then he was loaned out a bit and ended up in USA so I think it is right to say that he did less well after leaving, as did the quoted others.

So you could argue that Reading got much the best out of him and received a transfer fee of £6.5 million.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Feb 2021 15:26

South Coast Royal
Fair play....

By some way not as good as when with us IMHO.

At Reading he scored 55 in 157 appearances
At Wolves he scored 30 in 164 appearances.
He stayed with Wolves as they slid down to Div 1.
Then he was loaned out a bit and ended up in USA so I think it is right to say that he did less well after leaving, as did the quoted others.

So you could argue that Reading got much the best out of him and received a transfer fee of £6.5 million.

We certainly got the best out of him, but he looked fine at Wolves when they were in the Prem so I don't think I would shove him in the same group as Kitson, Lita, Tish or Blackman who seriously declined once they left.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Feb 2021 18:53

It’s a little disappointing that the likes of Stacey, Fosu, Dickie, Cooper and Hyam were all let go to some extent on the cheap/ooc whilst we ending up wasting a stack of money on players who have since moved on

But it happens, and obvs they may not have gone on to be Champ players had they stayed here. It’s also good for our academy to point at the number of pros at a good level - obvs especially true when you look at the ones still here

402 posts