402 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h)

by RoyalBlue » 10 Feb 2021 22:02

Zip
WestYorksRoyal Was it earlier in the season that Boro effectively got a free pass by playing Rotherham reserves because of Covid? Why did Brentford get to postpone? I'm particularly bitter because Dasilva was suspended for the original fixture.

Missing Swift and Meite today was massive. They had quality on the bench; we didn't. We're definitely moving in the right direction, but playoffs clearly a realistic ambition this season.

Swift has a soft tissue injury and is out for a minimum of two weeks. Not sure about Meite but with games coming thick and fast it’s very frustrating.

Pretty sure VP said he'd reported a problem with his groin. VP seemed more optimistic about the time he would be out than Meite's tweet suggested.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 10 Feb 2021 22:04

Lower West The team is built around Joao. Puscas is a different type of player. Would struggle in this formation to score.

We're no longer just lumping it long to Joao though. We're actually creating quite a few chances in and around the box through fast, free-flowing passing movements, So I think Puscas would be better served than he was last season.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 10 Feb 2021 22:07

Felt91 I know we lack strength in depth but why we don’t chuck on one of the youngsters on nearer the end gets to me. Granted today was a “big game” so a lot to ask but the reluctance to do it in previous games where they could of showed a flash of something to mayb get them the nod when we fade In the last 10mins of “bigger” games. Onen must of been on the bench 10times this season and had 10mins at the end of a Norwich game.

We just look tired and out of ideas at the end of games.

This in spades. Would rather have a fresh legged Gibson / Esteves playing the last 20 or so when Brentford started turning the screw than a very heavy legged Yiadom / Ovie.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Feb 2021 22:10

Just seen the goals, not impressed with Raphael for the 3rd in the slightest. you just don`t push the ball back out into the danger zone, might not have made any difference but it gave the impression the Brentford won comfortably.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Feb 2021 22:12

windermereROYAL Just seen the goals, not impressed with Raphael for the 3rd in the slightest. you just don`t push the ball back out into the danger zone, might not have made any difference but it gave the impression the Brentford won comfortably.

Never looked out of the game at any stage. Were able to go up through the gears.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 10 Feb 2021 22:13

Have to agree with the general points made that this squad did the best they could against what surely will be a top 2 team.

We’re very good but just not in the top two in what is a very good quality league this season. I could see this side going up through the playoffs if they didn’t play for Reading.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Feb 2021 22:16

genome
Zip Bottom line. We have lost 8 already this season. That’s too may at this stage of the season for top two.

Yeah. It'll need a 2011-12 style run to break the top 2 from here I think. Brentford to win the league with Swansea in 2nd, and then hopefully we can finally break our playoff hoodoo...

Na, Swans v Reading PO final for the ten year anniversary.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Feb 2021 22:17

Pepe the Horseman
genome
Zip Bottom line. We have lost 8 already this season. That’s too may at this stage of the season for top two.

Yeah. It'll need a 2011-12 style run to break the top 2 from here I think. Brentford to win the league with Swansea in 2nd, and then hopefully we can finally break our playoff hoodoo...

Na, Swans v Reading PO final for the ten year anniversary.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 10 Feb 2021 22:18

URZZZZ
Hound
Brain Traysers I fear the lack of depth only compounds issues further. 10/11 players played 90+ in an end-to-end game increasing the load on their bodies and injury risk in training or the next match (in only 66 hours time...)

A fair few faded quite a bit in the last 20.

Tbf is happier seeing the likes of Esteves, Aluko and Baldock come on against Millwall. You could see Aluko just wasn’t up to the quality of this game

He played a couple of awful balls but in his defence, by the time he came on, we really were on the back foot, would have been more useful to change 2-3 others around too, admittedly that being hard with the lack of options

Its unfortunate that Pauno hasn't really been able to make subs to rest players in recent games, but equally frustrating that he has chosen not to when we have been comfortable:
- 3-0 v Cov: Olise subbed at 2-0 up on 64' (injury), but Swift, Rino and Ejaria stayed on until 3-0 and red card (73'-78' subs)
- 0-0 v Preston: Aluko off on 77 (only sub). Tight game
- 3-1 v B'muff: Swift and Ejaria subbed reasonably late at 3-0 (72'-78'), Olise, Joao and Holmes at 3-1 (88'-89'). Comfortable scoreline but 2nd half was all them
- 0-0 v Stoke: Swift off after 60', Olise after 88'. Tight game
- 1-3 v Brentford: Semedo off on 77' at 1-1, Ejaria on 90+3. Tight game until 86th min winner

On one hand lots of tight games where chucking on a youngster could have backfired (with the manager owning that risk), on the other, opportunities to rest players were missed when 'comfortably' leading against Cov and Bournemouth.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 10 Feb 2021 22:20

windermereROYAL Just seen the goals, not impressed with Raphael for the 3rd in the slightest. you just don`t push the ball back out into the danger zone, might not have made any difference but it gave the impression the Brentford won comfortably.

Tired legs and brains contributed to that third goal as well. Yiadom had let Toney run free to take advantage of Rafael's less than perfect initial save.

As for the impression that Brentford won comfortably, Frank very honestly and graciously made it very clear that wasn't the case. Was extremely complimentary about our performance.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 10 Feb 2021 22:24

Ascotexgunner
CountryRoyal The lack of depth is so frustrating and it could be the difference between us going up or not.

Just think, missed penalties and awful injuries......we really could be where Brentford are now.
The bad luck is hard to take, but as you say we could have eased it all with a couple of signings.
With Baldock and Aluko robbing the club of 2 good salaries, that could have been 2 key signings. Frustrating to say the least.
I dread the playoffs......

Personally I've suspected for a while now that this season ends in inevitable playoff heartbreak, including the potential to miss out on them altogether. Once you accept that its much easier to enjoy the ride :lol:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Feb 2021 22:28

Brain Traysers
Ascotexgunner
CountryRoyal The lack of depth is so frustrating and it could be the difference between us going up or not.

Just think, missed penalties and awful injuries......we really could be where Brentford are now.
The bad luck is hard to take, but as you say we could have eased it all with a couple of signings.
With Baldock and Aluko robbing the club of 2 good salaries, that could have been 2 key signings. Frustrating to say the least.

Personally I've suspected for a while now that this season ends in inevitable playoff heartbreak, including the potential to miss out on them altogether. Once you accept that its much easier to enjoy the ride :lol:

I'm predicting Shane Long winner at Wembley for latest cruel twist of fate

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Feb 2021 22:29

I just hope the injuries don’t pile up again. Moore, Meite, Swift, Puscas and Araruna out. We don’t need any more missing.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Feb 2021 22:30

WestYorksRoyal
Brain Traysers
Ascotexgunner

Yep and Joao’s pen is saved. Can we also add in an own goal by Rafael just for comic effect.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Feb 2021 22:39

Zip
WestYorksRoyal
Brain Traysers

Yep and Joao’s pen is saved. Can we also add in an own goal by Rafael just for comic effect.

Actually throwing it into the net!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Feb 2021 22:44

Really hoped we'd do Brentford today and for a large part of the game we looked like we might.

But despite the pressure there weren't enough clear chances and we rely so much on Joao. He didn't quite fire today and as some have said was well contained by Brentford. They on the other hand were clinical

I want us to get in the play offs but can't get too excited at the prospect. It's just so painful

But maybe we can do it if there are no fans. Would somehow seem very Reading

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Feb 2021 23:20

VP saying Meite will be monitored on a weekly basis and a decision on Swift after his MRI scan tomorrow, not too encouraging .

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 10 Feb 2021 23:30

Two very good teams playing confidently. Most noticeable differences would be the subs, Canos compared to Aluko says a lot.

Pre-65th minute I’d say we edged it, I think they had 1 (very good) shot on goal that went in. Post 65th minute they were the better, more dominant side.

2-1 would probably have been fair, but we were pushed up to get that equaliser.

I’ve not seen the reply of our peno, but I’d query whether a defending team would feel more aggrieved with that decision being given compared to an attacking team feeling aggrieved if it wasn’t.

Top 6 Championship games > top 6 Premiership games (entertainment value).

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Feb 2021 23:44

Zip
windermereROYAL We bought on Aluko they bought on Canos, that tells you the story really.

In truth yes but it’s a bit harsh on Aluko because we really did run out of steam and that’s not down to him. Brentford got stronger and we dropped deeper. They were on top and it was a matter of time before they scored. I don’t mind losing to a side as good as that.

Very important that we don’t drop off from here. I hope the players have light training before another slog of a game on Saturday. We really need Puscas back to take some of the workload because we are too reliant on Joao. When Joao is not in his game we carry him.

Yes, I feel there’s a lot of emphasis on Aluko’s sub but in truth, none of Olise, Ejaria or Semedo were contributing past the 60/65th minute as they ran out of steam. Possible
scope for pushing Baldock to LM or even Richards and pushing Gibson to LB, and similarly Esteves on RM, but none are ideal really

Just not sure how much Puscas can offer us as he’s clearly a decent player, but he’s another one like Baldock, who works better with two. You’d expect he’ll offer more than Baldock does as a lone striker but how much only time will tell

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Feb 2021 07:31

Tails Two very good teams playing confidently. Most noticeable differences would be the subs, Canos compared to Aluko says a lot.

Pre-65th minute I’d say we edged it, I think they had 1 (very good) shot on goal that went in. Post 65th minute they were the better, more dominant side.

2-1 would probably have been fair, but we were pushed up to get that equaliser.

I’ve not seen the reply of our peno, but I’d query whether a defending team would feel more aggrieved with that decision being given compared to an attacking team feeling aggrieved if it wasn’t.

Top 6 Championship games > top 6 Premiership games (entertainment value).

Absolutely nailed on penalty.

Laurent catches the defender's leg on the back lift which screws his swing at the ball.

402 posts