Adam Federici - Still going strong

hobbitx007

Adam Federici - Still going strong

by hobbitx007 » 08 Feb 2021 20:54

There are several ex-Royals playing in the A-League in Australia. Check out this amazing sequence from the weekend courtesy of Mr A Federici!

https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/ ... 695de18a81

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Adam Federici - Still going strong

by windermereROYAL » 08 Feb 2021 20:59

I`m still having therapy for the Arsenal cock up. I`m convinced we would have won the FA cup if we came through that game.

Another what if Wembley moment. there have been a few.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 08 Feb 2021 22:43

Still throwing the ball into the back of his own net?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Feb 2021 07:09

Nothing against Feds but that clip says more about the standard of finishing in the A League than it does about Federici's goalkeeping. The first 3 were all a bit lettuce wristed and he knew fck all about the 4th, indeed he got anything on it.

Interestingly, one of the other clips in that link shows him dithering and getting caught absolutely in no man's land from a fast break after a corner.

Again, nothing against Federici but I can think of at least 3 keepers since Hahnemann left who were better than him.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Feb 2021 10:01

[quote="From Despair To Where]
Again, nothing against Federici but I can think of at least 3 keepers since Hahnemann left who were better than him.[/quote]

Is this one of those ‘ridiculously easy to sucker them in’ type quizzes they have on afternoon tv ?

Rafael, Martinez, Al habsi

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2021 10:02

Nameless [quote="From Despair To Where]
Again, nothing against Federici but I can think of at least 3 keepers since Hahnemann left who were better than him.[/quote]

Is this one of those ‘ridiculously easy to sucker them in’ type quizzes they have on afternoon tv ?

Rafael, Martinez, Al habsi[/quote][/quote]

McCarthy

Virginia :wink:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Feb 2021 10:10

Great keeper for Reading - many ups and a couple of costly howlers. Great to see him still doing the business.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Feb 2021 10:13

paultheroyal Great keeper for Reading - many ups and a couple of costly howlers. Great to see him still doing the business.

If only we had kept Antonio I reckon he would have been the best keeper we have ever had....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2021 10:14

Nameless
paultheroyal Great keeper for Reading - many ups and a couple of costly howlers. Great to see him still doing the business.

If only we had kept Antonio I reckon he would have been the best keeper we have ever had....

:lol:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Feb 2021 11:16

Nameless [quote="From Despair To Where]

Rafael, Martinez, Al habsi[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Virginia, Walker, Bond.

I'm all seriousness, he was an excellent signing for us and even in the semi final, he kept us in the game. Every keeper throws one in from time to time. He did seem a bit dodgy at his near post, though.

Just think the hyperbole for that clip is a bit OTT. A decent striker would have buried one of those chances and Federici in his prime wouldn't have presented them with 4 chances to score.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Feb 2021 11:34

I always liked Feds, great back story, likeable chap, very capable keeper with a few flaws - but then as De Gea and Allison showed even the best are not perfect.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Feb 2021 12:25

Nameless

Dont think he had any interest in playing in goal gr8 m8.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Feb 2021 12:25

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

:lol:

Get a room.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Feb 2021 14:01

paultheroyal
Nameless

Dont think he had any interest in playing in goal gr8 m8.

Man of his talents would have adapted. He just has never been given a chance....

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Feb 2021 15:08

I think people have a tendency with Feds to judge him on the small number of mistakes rather than the many many matches where he didn’t make a mistake.

He played an absolutely huge role in McDermott’s promotion for example. Kept 20 clean sheets that season, the most in the league - more than Kasper Schmeichel, Rob Green, Julian Speroni, David Marshall, etc. Kept more clean sheets in 2013/14 (Adkins/Clarke) than McCarthy managed the season before in a better team, and proportionally more than Martinez managed in his time with us. Obviously that lacks the context but he wasn’t someone who routinely gifted the opposition goals - he was a very good goalkeeper at this level, consistently one of the best in the league while he was with us

Suspect there’s a lot of overlap between the people who dunk on Federici and the people who dunk on Pearce...

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 09 Feb 2021 16:44

windermereROYAL I`m still having therapy for the Arsenal cock up. I`m convinced we would have won the FA cup if we came through that game.

Another what if Wembley moment. there have been a few.

Found this while i was clearing up my laptop the other day.. From when we drew Arsenal in the League Cup the season after the semi-final.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2021 18:11

SCIAG I think people have a tendency with Feds to judge him on the small number of mistakes rather than the many many matches where he didn’t make a mistake.

He played an absolutely huge role in McDermott’s promotion for example. Kept 20 clean sheets that season, the most in the league - more than Kasper Schmeichel, Rob Green, Julian Speroni, David Marshall, etc. Kept more clean sheets in 2013/14 (Adkins/Clarke) than McCarthy managed the season before in a better team, and proportionally more than Martinez managed in his time with us. Obviously that lacks the context but he wasn’t someone who routinely gifted the opposition goals - he was a very good goalkeeper at this level, consistently one of the best in the league while he was with us

Suspect there’s a lot of overlap between the people who dunk on Federici and the people who dunk on Pearce...

Not here. 8)

Fed = ok keeper - poor to his bottom corners, loved loved a camera save and occasionally diving over the ball.
Pearce - good defender - no nonsense, read the game well, best step over in footballing history, bit slow and clumsy at times.
Antonio - ptr's step child / crush

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Feb 2021 13:22

Sorry Pearce was overrated, slow and sh*t.

Feds was ok, not much more.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Feb 2021 20:22

Millsy Sorry Pearce was overrated, slow and sh*t.

Feds was ok, not much more.

And yet with those two playing every week we got promoted with a low-scoring side.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Feb 2021 20:32

The only keeper that I have seen score 2 goals