MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (a)

356 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (a)

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Feb 2021 11:08

I'd put Olise back in behind Joao where he often played before Swift came back....he's involved more and hasn't been the same since been out wide

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Feb 2021 11:10

South Coast Royal I don't think Semedo is ideal but did you include the penalty that he won at Bournemouth when comparing his stats with the £8 million man?
Also I would guess that Semedo has won a fair few more tackles than Aluko who I guess doesn't even get into double figures.

Anyway Pauno will decide for better or for worse and I bet he is as frustrated as we are that we have so many crocks.

Yeah Semedo for sure offers more tracking back but I’m a believer that you want your attacking players to attack. It’s a really hard metric to measure but the old adage of “attack is the best form of defence” is true. Had we got the 2nd goal (no fault of course through semedo etc just saying) then we would have won against Millwall I’m certain.

We put ourselves under a lot of pressure by lack of chance creation. Is Aluko the answer? oxf*rd knows and probably not, I just think imho I’d prefer to see him start.

Swift will be a big miss because since he came back we actually looked like a side capable genuinely capable of automatic promotion - the ability to keep the ball in the opposition half and build constant pressure is something we missed and we just can’t really do without him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2021 11:34

CountryRoyal I’d start with Aluko and Olise. Semedo had a decent game but we just don’t offer much of a threat with him in a central attacking role.

Aluko has same goals and 1 less assist for 400 minutes less game time, and is more intelligent offensively, allows for better movement/runs and has better ball control so can retain possession higher up.

Depending on the situation with 20 minutes or so to go I’d really like to see us actually using our bench as well, Onen, Tetek etc. I mean heck I’d even put Camara up top to replace a tiring and unenthusiastic Joao in some games. It frustrates me that they aren’t given opportunities when there is literally nothing else to lose.

Aluko can't defend for shit though.

I'd kick the failed Rino at 10 experiment to the curb and play Semedo back where he's been the rest of the season.

And then I'd not be afraid to bring on Onen / Aluko / Baldock whoever on about 60 - 70 minutes to add a bit more flair.

I certainly wouldn't be resting Olise who can create a chance out of nothing, plays at tempo and is our best creator.

Taffster

by Taffster » 16 Feb 2021 11:54

for me it should be the following -

Rafa
Yiadom Morrison Mcintrye Richards
Rino Laurent
Aluko Olise Ejara
Joao

Olise needs to play centrally for me.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Feb 2021 12:02

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal I’d start with Aluko and Olise. Semedo had a decent game but we just don’t offer much of a threat with him in a central attacking role.

Aluko has same goals and 1 less assist for 400 minutes less game time, and is more intelligent offensively, allows for better movement/runs and has better ball control so can retain possession higher up.

Depending on the situation with 20 minutes or so to go I’d really like to see us actually using our bench as well, Onen, Tetek etc. I mean heck I’d even put Camara up top to replace a tiring and unenthusiastic Joao in some games. It frustrates me that they aren’t given opportunities when there is literally nothing else to lose.

I'd kick the failed Rino at 10 experiment to the curb and play Semedo back where he's been the rest of the season.

And then I'd not be afraid to bring on Onen / Aluko / Baldock whoever on about 60 - 70 minutes to add a bit more flair.

I certainly wouldn't be resting Olise who can create a chance out of nothing, plays at tempo and is our best creator.

The problem is we play Saturday - Midweek up until the 6th March (starting from the 6th February). Do you think Olise will be able to start each game in that period (assuming Meite isn’t back by then)? I personally don’t think so, given Pauno has regularly swapped Olise out every so often for Aluko, although am willing to be pleasantly surprised

On Semedo - he’s a good option when there’s space on the counter, played well against Brentford and against Blackburn IIRC but when teams sit in deep and we have to break them down, I find he’s quite poor at CAM. Not really sure how Bristol play mind, and would be harsh to drop him after Saturday

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2021 12:05

Olise should have better recovery at his age. I'd play him every chance I had.

He's been playing semi regularly for 18 months. Time to do it every game.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Feb 2021 12:19

oxf*rd me there seems to be no confidence amongst the Brizzle contingent.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 Feb 2021 12:19

Snowflake Royal Olise should have better recovery at his age. I'd play him every chance I had.

He's been playing semi regularly for 18 months. Time to do it every game.

Spot on.
As Rafael said in his interview on Saturday, players much prefer to play matches than to train.
We are not talking about a 13 year old still undergoing big growth spurts etc.

Play him, he is our best player and a waste not to.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Feb 2021 12:50

Snowflake Royal

I don’t want to pick our central attacking midfielder based on their ability to defend though, that’s my point.

100% Olise has to start of course.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Feb 2021 12:52

Taffster for me it should be the following -

Rafa
Yiadom Morrison Mcintrye Richards
Rino Laurent
Aluko Olise Ejara
Joao

Olise needs to play centrally for me.

Agreed.

It’s a shame we have no tangible striker options because Joao has been a bit casual last few weeks.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2021 12:55

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

I don’t want to pick our central attacking midfielder based on their ability to defend though, that’s my point.

100% Olise has to start of course.

Given our AM does a lot of pressing, and all players have defensive duties, I'd go with the overall better player, not the one who might be slightly better in attack and a lot worse when defending.

I'd also go with the one who might have a future at the club.

And I hate Aluko

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Feb 2021 13:18

Aluko - 0.5 tackles and 0.5 interceptions per 90.

Semedo - 1.5 tackles and 0.8 interceptions per 90

That said, I do agree with CR here. I think Aluko has looked the better player this season, at least for an attacking midfielder. IMO Aluko should be fifth choice and Semedo sixth rather than the other way around.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Feb 2021 13:27

tidus_mi2 oxf*rd me there seems to be no confidence amongst the Brizzle contingent.

In fairness probably a bit like us when we had 9 out.

If they genuinely do have 13 out I can't imagine they can change the first tean too much after Sat, on basis they probably have a similar squad size to us.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 16 Feb 2021 14:21

tidus_mi2 oxf*rd me there seems to be no confidence amongst the Brizzle contingent.

Perhaps our fondness for helping out teams who are struggling with form will cheer them up.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Feb 2021 16:47

Josh Laurent supposedly out tonight, I think then the following options could be considered:

1) Semedo alongside Rino, play Aluko in Semedo's previous position.
2) Push McIntyre up into midfield, move Holmes to CB and start either Yiadom or Esteves at RB.
3) Give Tetek a shot.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Feb 2021 16:48

tidus_mi2 Josh Laurent supposedly out tonight, I think then the following options could be considered:

2) Push McIntyre up into midfield, move Holmes to CB and start either Yiadom or Esteves at RB.
3) Give Tetek a shot.

3 for me.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Feb 2021 16:52

Pepe the Horseman
tidus_mi2 Josh Laurent supposedly out tonight, I think then the following options could be considered:

3) Give Tetek a shot.

3 for me.

+1

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Feb 2021 16:56

3) Give Tetek a shot.

4) Semedo alongside Rino, play Olise in Semedo's previous position and play Aluko out wide.

I'd still go for 3) though.

However, knowing Pauno there will an option 5) that no one has considered and it could be a master stroke.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Feb 2021 17:56

For me:

1) Semedo in midfield, Aluko behind striker
2) Holmes in midfield
3) as 1 but with Olise and Aluko switched
4) Tetek
5) McIntyre in midfield

Fezza