415 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h)

by Lower West » 20 Feb 2021 21:30

Zip
Brain Traysers
alfie9 I am already mentally preparing myself for this club finishing 7th.

Bye Omar, enjoy Germany. Hope we at least sign McIntyre.

I can't see this season ending in anything other than playoff disappointment, whether failing to make them, or limping to 5th-6th and struggling to compete thanks to more injuries to key players.

Even if it does, it's been a hell of a lot more fun watching us be competitive and creative in the majority of games!

The team have been a joy to watch this season and given us something to look forward to during some miserable months. It would be a shame if it all petered out.

Be an opportunity to give some minutes to the eternal bench warmers. Might be young and inexperienced however at least there'll be here next season. Vast improvement on previous seasons. There's a foundation of youth to build upon. Too many loan players have simply failed to live up to expectations.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2021 21:32

Lower West
Zip
Brain Traysers
I can't see this season ending in anything other than playoff disappointment, whether failing to make them, or limping to 5th-6th and struggling to compete thanks to more injuries to key players.

Even if it does, it's been a hell of a lot more fun watching us be competitive and creative in the majority of games!

The team have been a joy to watch this season and given us something to look forward to during some miserable months. It would be a shame if it all petered out.

Be an opportunity to give some minutes to the eternal bench warmers. Might be young and inexperienced however at least there'll be here next season. Vast improvement on previous seasons. There's a foundation of youth to build upon. Too many loan players have simply failed to live up to expectations.

I’d like to see Tetek give a chance. He’s out of contract in the summer. He has showed promise in his limited time on the pitch.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Feb 2021 21:41

Zip
leon
Zip
Dellor is unprofessional. He takes an irrational like or dislike to a player and it clouds his commentary. Gooding offers next to no insight considering he’s an ex pro.

Get off your high horse Zip ffs.

Just saying babes. This seems to have struck a nerve for some reason. Wassup leonski? It’s a messageboard where we share our opinions. I dont think the pair are very good.
@ team Leon

Like a a pair of comfy slippers, they’re a familar listen.

You know what’s going to happen (or not happen...more to the point) by their intonation......

I hate BBCBerks these days, but the match commentaries (and Stereo Underground) are the only things that I tune into.

We've had alternatives in the past (107, Classic Gold, 210 etc) who have tried it....my goodness, they were boring.....and are not here anymore

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2021 21:53

AthleticoSpizz
Zip
leon

Just saying babes. This seems to have struck a nerve for some reason. Wassup leonski? It’s a messageboard where we share our opinions. I dont think the pair are very good.
@ team Leon

You know what’s going to happen (or not happen...more to the point) by their intonation......

I hate BBCBerks these days, but the match commentaries (and Stereo Underground) are the only things that I tune into.

We've had alternatives in the past (107, Classic Gold, 210 etc) who have tried it....my goodness, they were boring.....and are not here anymore

Sometimes when we score a dramatic goal, ie Rino v Norwich a couple of years ago or Olise v the Fakes a couple of months ago I enjoy Dellor’s excitable commentary. Hearing him today being totally negative about Esteves was annoying. No need for it.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Feb 2021 21:54

We're definitely not ready for the premier league. We've lost 18 of our last 39 home games in the league, that's piss poor and more like relegation form.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Feb 2021 22:00

Zip
AthleticoSpizz
Zip
@ team Leon

Sometimes when we score a dramatic goal, ie Rino v Norwich a couple of years ago or Olise v the Fakes a couple of months ago I enjoy Dellor’s excitable commentary. Hearing him today being totally negative about Esteves was annoying. No need for it.
...maybe....but maybe that’s the ‘problem’ of having a fan as a commentator?

FWIW, Esteves is not the answer to anything imho

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2021 22:07

AthleticoSpizz
Zip
AthleticoSpizz @ team Leon

I think Esteves is adjusting well. Played out of position today he slid a lovely pass to put Yids in on goal. Yet according to Dellor had done nothing since being on the pitch.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 20 Feb 2021 22:07

Brain Traysers

Absolutely. even if we fail in the playoffs it will have been a brilliant season and we are finally moving forward. Next season we can start afresh and we won't be seeing the likes of Aluko and Baldock again and that will be 2 big salaries off the list and hopefully we will replace them with players who actually can do a job.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2021 23:09

leon
Zip
leon Don’t get the BBC Berkshire hate, lads.

You should read all the shit you lot post.

Dellor is unprofessional. He takes an irrational like or dislike to a player and it clouds his commentary. Gooding offers next to no insight considering he’s an ex pro.

It's not unreasonable to expect your local commentator to be able to tell your own players apart and accurately describe the action.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 20 Feb 2021 23:12

Lower West
Zip
Brain Traysers

Considering how much of an absolute shit show I was expecting this season to be, I'm still over the moon we're where we are. It's just that start....

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 20 Feb 2021 23:13

Ascotexgunner
Brain Traysers

Absolutely. even if we fail in the playoffs it will have been a brilliant season and we are finally moving forward. Next season we can start afresh and we won't be seeing the likes of Aluko and Baldock again and that will be 2 big salaries off the list and hopefully we will replace them with players who actually can do a job.

Yup clearing out more dead wood and getting more of the kids in. Seems to have worked wonders this year and the club are in a far better position now than we were 8 months ago.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Feb 2021 23:22

Zip
AthleticoSpizz
Zip

I think Esteves is adjusting well. Played out of position today he slid a lovely pass to put Yids in on goal. Yet according to Dellor had done nothing since being on the pitch.

Spot on. Dellor always has to have a scapegoat and I'm struggling to remember the last time his scapegoat wasn't 'foreign'.

I do think Aluko perhaps should've come on earlier but that doesn't mean Esteves was at fault or having a bad game. There were others, older and/or more experienced too, who played far worse than him

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Feb 2021 23:24

Snowflake Royal
leon
Zip

It's not unreasonable to expect your local commentator to be able to tell your own players apart and accurately describe the action.
maybe it is....(but) even Joel Hufford used to cock-up, as did the other radio station wannabes....easy mistakes

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Feb 2021 00:03

RoyalBlue
Zip
AthleticoSpizz ...maybe....but maybe that’s the ‘problem’ of having a fan as a commentator?

Spot on. Dellor always has to have a scapegoat and I'm struggling to remember the last time his scapegoat wasn't 'foreign'.

I do think Aluko perhaps should've come on earlier but that doesn't mean Esteves was at fault or having a bad game. There were others, older and/or more experienced too, who played far worse than him

Shows the lack of options though in the squad when a full back is the first choice substitute. Aluko is happy to collect his pay cheque and see out his contract.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2021 00:07

Seemed to put more effort in....in ten minutes than the ‘up and coming’ did all game, mind

There’s probably a reason for that

Forget his previous...he’s had decent showings for us this season (even Ian wants him to start next game :shock: )

there”s probably a reason for that :lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Feb 2021 00:44

AthleticoSpizz Seemed to put more effort in....in ten minutes than the ‘up and coming’ did all game, mind

There’s probably a reason for that

Forget his previous...he’s had decent showings for us this season (even Ian wants him to start next game :shock: )

there”s probably a reason for that :lol:

Aluko has done ok this season but he really didn’t achieve much in his cameo today. One good really good run which amounted to nothing as he tried to do too much.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Feb 2021 00:52

Brain Traysers
bcubed
Brain Traysers
Missed the second half (doesn't sound like I missed much...) so only just seen this.

I have never claimed all shots [from the same location] are identical- that's absurd. The only identical situation is a penalty.

If you had bothered to look into it, you would know the location of each shot represents a distribution of probabilities, with lots of different factors impacting that individual chance. The individual xG number represented is simply the average, likely the mean as lots of the factors that would skew the distribution (rendering the mean as biased) are already accounted for in the model estinate. The factors that would cause an outlier if the model was purely based on shot location have already been included in the Opta model (e.g. position of GK, no of defenders, shot type- ground vs air, FK etc), and more advanced models are even better (Statsbomb include the number of defenders applying pressure, direction of pressure etc)

In both of those (first half) examples, I gave clear reason why the opportunities likely represented a worse-than-average chance from that situation, so the actual (unknowable) probability was likely lower than the 5% xG figure: velocity of the pass to Rino, and pressure from defenders on TMac. Do you have any logic argument to suggest they were easier-than-average?

HTH

Yawn

Solid argument m9!

Argument already made mate
They were good chances which should have at least resulted in shots on target.
We fluffed our lines
End of

Until we can find someone else bar Joao to come up with a few goals we are going to struggle.

Joao is double teamed every game. Keep him quiet and the job is done. Not only that but if he is kept quiet and he doesn't score or even when he doesnt get return passes he sulks. And it's truly game over.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Feb 2021 00:53

Too many scoreless games (for us) against the so called “ugly” teams, 0 goals in 2 games against Preston, 0 goals in 2 games against Boro, 0 goals in 2 games against Stoke - really need to work on this side of the game. Obviously Meite being out is a hindrance but you have to work around that and the lack of an observable plan B is transparent

Just don’t see the fascination of the Semedo - Laurent - Rinomhota midfield three in these type of games as it really does give us a lack of creativity. Not only this, it pushes Olise out on the wing where he’s less effective - this really has to he stopped as it doesn’t work. Don’t necessarily agree with the Semedo scapegoating (obviously if Aluko isn’t playing :wink: ) but not sure he’s done enough to warrant as many starts as he has. Would probably add Ejaria to that list too who’s form has been deeply concerning for a couple of months now (0 goals - 2 assists in 15 matches - not good enough at all)

We’re still in a very good position - but would like to see Paunovic learn from mistakes (I.e stop playing that midfield three against lower block teams and make attacking subs quicker). Hasn’t quite grasped either in the last month or so, even with a hefty injury list

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Feb 2021 01:01

URZZZZ Too many scoreless games (for us) against the so called “ugly” teams, 0 goals in 2 games against Preston, 0 goals in 2 games against Boro, 0 goals in 2 games against Stoke - really need to work on this side of the game. Obviously Meite being out is a hindrance but you have to work around that and the lack of an observable plan B is transparent

Just don’t see the fascination of the Semedo - Laurent - Rinomhota midfield three in these type of games as it really does give us a lack of creativity. Not only this, it pushes Olise out on the wing where he’s less effective - this really has to he stopped as it doesn’t work. Don’t necessarily agree with the Semedo scapegoating (obviously if Aluko isn’t playing :wink: ) but not sure he’s done enough to warrant as many starts as he has. Would probably add Ejaria to that list too who’s form has been deeply concerning for a couple of months now (0 goals - 2 assists in 15 matches - not good enough at all)

We’re still in a very good position - but would like to see Paunovic learn from mistakes (I.e stop playing that midfield three against lower block teams and make attacking subs quicker). Hasn’t quite grasped either in the last month or so, even with a hefty injury list

Fair observation and well spotted about the lack of goals against those three teams where we have only picked up 3 points out of 18.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Feb 2021 01:07

Zip
URZZZZ Too many scoreless games (for us) against the so called “ugly” teams, 0 goals in 2 games against Preston, 0 goals in 2 games against Boro, 0 goals in 2 games against Stoke - really need to work on this side of the game. Obviously Meite being out is a hindrance but you have to work around that and the lack of an observable plan B is transparent

Fair observation and well spotted about the lack of goals against those three teams where we have only picked up 3 points out of 18.

The most concerning thing is in each of the three home games - there’s been a pretty similar pattern, start the game pretty well, concede a soft goal and collapse

Mentality of the team has been a problem for years. Too many heads drop after the first goal

415 posts