MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h)

415 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h)

by Zip » 21 Feb 2021 02:00

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ Too many scoreless games (for us) against the so called “ugly” teams, 0 goals in 2 games against Preston, 0 goals in 2 games against Boro, 0 goals in 2 games against Stoke - really need to work on this side of the game. Obviously Meite being out is a hindrance but you have to work around that and the lack of an observable plan B is transparent

Just don’t see the fascination of the Semedo - Laurent - Rinomhota midfield three in these type of games as it really does give us a lack of creativity. Not only this, it pushes Olise out on the wing where he’s less effective - this really has to he stopped as it doesn’t work. Don’t necessarily agree with the Semedo scapegoating (obviously if Aluko isn’t playing :wink: ) but not sure he’s done enough to warrant as many starts as he has. Would probably add Ejaria to that list too who’s form has been deeply concerning for a couple of months now (0 goals - 2 assists in 15 matches - not good enough at all)

We’re still in a very good position - but would like to see Paunovic learn from mistakes (I.e stop playing that midfield three against lower block teams and make attacking subs quicker). Hasn’t quite grasped either in the last month or so, even with a hefty injury list

Fair observation and well spotted about the lack of goals against those three teams where we have only picked up 3 points out of 18.

The most concerning thing is in each of the three home games - there’s been a pretty similar pattern, start the game pretty well, concede a soft goal and collapse

Mentality of the team has been a problem for years. Too many heads drop after the first goal

Yes today was very much a reminder of too many games at the Madejski in recent years, Once again our home form is holding us back.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Feb 2021 06:36

bcubed
Brain Traysers
bcubed
Yawn

Solid argument m9!

Argument already made mate
They were good chances which should have at least resulted in shots on target.
We fluffed our lines
End of

You’re being unrealistic. A chance like Rino’s - about 20 yards out, slightly wide of goal - is unlikely to result in a shot on target and even less likely to result in a goal. I can’t remember the McIntyre one which probably says it all.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2021 08:23

AthleticoSpizz
Snowflake Royal
leon
Get off your high horse Zip ffs.

It's not unreasonable to expect your local commentator to be able to tell your own players apart and accurately describe the action.
maybe it is....(but) even Joel Hufford used to cock-up, as did the other radio station wannabes....easy mistakes

Joel Hufford shat all over Dellor.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 21 Feb 2021 09:20

AthleticoSpizz
Snowflake Royal
leon
Get off your high horse Zip ffs.

It's not unreasonable to expect your local commentator to be able to tell your own players apart and accurately describe the action.
maybe it is....(but) even Joel Hufford used to cock-up, as did the other radio station wannabes....easy mistakes

Joel Hufford was a considerable upgrade on Tim.I wonder if Tim’s Dad got him the nod.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 21 Feb 2021 09:27

Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz
Snowflake Royal It's not unreasonable to expect your local commentator to be able to tell your own players apart and accurately describe the action.

Joel Hufford shat all over Dellor.

I hope he was fired for that. Disgusting behaviour.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Feb 2021 10:17

SCIAG
bcubed
Brain Traysers Solid argument m9!

We fluffed our lines
End of

You’re being unrealistic. A chance like Rino’s - about 20 yards out, slightly wide of goal - is unlikely to result in a shot on target and even less likely to result in a goal. I can’t remember the McIntyre one which probably says it all.

I'm not. There were plenty of good chances that with a clean strike on goal could have resulted in a goal. The opposition seem to take a different view to yours and regularly hit the target from that range and further. Like their second. And the fact you don't remember parts of the game does say it all.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Feb 2021 10:24

URZZZZ Too many scoreless games (for us) against the so called “ugly” teams, 0 goals in 2 games against Preston, 0 goals in 2 games against Boro, 0 goals in 2 games against Stoke - really need to work on this side of the game. Obviously Meite being out is a hindrance but you have to work around that and the lack of an observable plan B is transparent

Just don’t see the fascination of the Semedo - Laurent - Rinomhota midfield three in these type of games as it really does give us a lack of creativity. Not only this, it pushes Olise out on the wing where he’s less effective - this really has to he stopped as it doesn’t work. Don’t necessarily agree with the Semedo scapegoating (obviously if Aluko isn’t playing :wink: ) but not sure he’s done enough to warrant as many starts as he has. Would probably add Ejaria to that list too who’s form has been deeply concerning for a couple of months now (0 goals - 2 assists in 15 matches - not good enough at all)

We’re still in a very good position - but would like to see Paunovic learn from mistakes (I.e stop playing that midfield three against lower block teams and make attacking subs quicker). Hasn’t quite grasped either in the last month or so, even with a hefty injury list

I've been banging on about how we get bullied against these ugly teams. So I can sort of understand why we might think Semedo helps as he has got a physical presence and is not afraid to put himself about.

I think the balance between tackler and play makers is something we havent resolved and perhaps it is something we cant achieve with the personnel we've got.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2021 10:52

bcubed

I've been banging on about how we get bullied against these ugly teams. So I can sort of understand why we might think Semedo helps as he has got a physical presence and is not afraid to put himself about.

I think the balance between tackler and play makers is something we havent resolved and perhaps it is something we cant achieve with the personnel we've got.

Basically we're missing Meite. Without him, everything is very samey.

In attack, Ejaria, Swift, Olise and Semedo are all quite similar. Interchanging of short intricate passes in small spaces. The variation is that Ejaria takes three touches when two will do, plays at a walking pace and is only interested in beating his man 5 times. Swift hasn't been around much, Olise is still quite inexperienced and Semedo doesn't have the same quality.

If you look at our defensive midfielders, they've actually got a pretty good goal contribution record. Laurent has 2 goals, 2 assists, Rino has a goal, Semedo has 2 goals, 2 assists. Semedo has played in an advanced roll mainly, but that's a decent effort for a defensive midfielder pushed forward.

Teams have wised up to Joao and he's not making it up with increased workrate. They're isolating him against two defenders most of the time, and holding a line that means we can't play over the top to him without inch perfect ball.

Meite offers a very direct and different physical challenge to our other attacking players (ignoring Joao), which makes it harder to defend against us.

I think we'd also perform better if we had someone on the left who had an interest in upping the tempo and attack space at pace, someone who remembered that the objective is to score, not to embarrass the opposition players onto their arse.

Ejaria has played more than Olise, is older, more experienced and arguably has more technique. But he's created about half as much

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Feb 2021 11:15

Snowflake Royal
bcubed

In attack, Ejaria, Swift, Olise and Semedo are all quite similar. Interchanging of short intricate passes in small spaces. The variation is that Ejaria takes three touches when two will do, plays at a walking pace and is only interested in beating his man 5 times. Swift hasn't been around much, Olise is still quite inexperienced and Semedo doesn't have the same quality.

If you look at our defensive midfielders, they've actually got a pretty good goal contribution record. Laurent has 2 goals, 2 assists, Rino has a goal, Semedo has 2 goals, 2 assists. Semedo has played in an advanced roll mainly, but that's a decent effort for a defensive midfielder pushed forward.

Teams have wised up to Joao and he's not making it up with increased workrate. They're isolating him against two defenders most of the time, and holding a line that means we can't play over the top to him without inch perfect ball.

Meite offers a very direct and different physical challenge to our other attacking players (ignoring Joao), which makes it harder to defend against us.

I think we'd also perform better if we had someone on the left who had an interest in upping the tempo and attack space at pace, someone who remembered that the objective is to score, not to embarrass the opposition players onto their arse.

Ejaria has played more than Olise, is older, more experienced and arguably has more technique. But he's created about half as much

I am a fan of Ejaria but his contributions are too often in the wrong area.
With Swift out, surely he would be most effective playing behind Joao in an area where, if he is fouled (which he so often is) it is in a much more dangerous position than way out left.
Also defenders would be less likely to dive in , meaning that he has that little bit of extra room in which to operate.

He is certainly an enigma that both Liverpool and Rangers thought that they could turn into a real player.
As I see it, if he moved the ball quicker he could be our Grealish but presumably Pauno is happy with the way that he plays but surely must be as frustrated as we are that there is just not enough end product..

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Feb 2021 11:49

400 years ago when I used to run a Sunday Team we had a guy
we called "FAFF" (guess why). he was almost impossible to get
the ball off, but never seemed to do much.

He wasn't big or strong but in a fit of pique I stuck him up front
and after that he couldn't stop scoring goals and winning penalties

i think having Ejaria central with instructions to nibble in the box
could work really well. He would need at least two players, so between
him and JOAO they'd be tying up 4-5!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Feb 2021 12:04

We have big personnel issues which is hampering creativity sure but a lot of our offensive inaction at times imho is how we play without the ball.

We’re not a massively high pressing side, we never have been but our best performances (Bournemouth first half/Brentford) we were pressing with a much higher energy.

With Lucas Walking Joao and Ovie Stationary Stepover Ejaria the game is all just too slow and ponderous at times. We keep hearing about how Pauno’s training sessions are x and y and we have great fitness so why not try to actually put pressure on the opposition and force the issue. Did Boro defend well? Yeah sure they did enough but I guarantee they won’t have got in the dressing room the most exhausted they’ve ever been, it wasn’t the biggest shift they had to put in. Far from it, it was routine defensive organisation.

A home team in the playoffs with supposedly some really gifted technical players really need to do more.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Feb 2021 22:46

bcubed
SCIAG
bcubed
We fluffed our lines
End of

I'm not. There were plenty of good chances that with a clean strike on goal could have resulted in a goal. The opposition seem to take a different view to yours and regularly hit the target from that range and further. Like their second. And the fact you don't remember parts of the game does say it all.

Nobody remembers the whole game, that’s physically impossible.

Again, you fundamentally don’t understand anything about football or statistics if you expect shots from outside the area to “regularly” be on target. They simply aren’t. For every one like the one yesterday there are three more that miss, and very very few will ever be struck that sweetly. You’re one step away from claiming that some goals count double - you’ve entered a fantasy realm where facts don’t matter, and you’re too arrogant and deluded to recognise it.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Feb 2021 23:45

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal
bcubed I've been banging on about how we get bullied against these ugly teams. So I can sort of understand why we might think Semedo helps as he has got a physical presence and is not afraid to put himself about.

With Swift out, surely he would be most effective playing behind Joao in an area where, if he is fouled (which he so often is) it is in a much more dangerous position than way out left.
Also defenders would be less likely to dive in , meaning that he has that little bit of extra room in which to operate.

He is certainly an enigma that both Liverpool and Rangers thought that they could turn into a real player.
As I see it, if he moved the ball quicker he could be our Grealish but presumably Pauno is happy with the way that he plays but surely must be as frustrated as we are that there is just not enough end product..

There's no options on the bench. The squad lacks wide players with pace. Hence why the opposition frequently presses us high. There's no out ball from the back. If the ball does go long we still have 10 players in our own half.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Feb 2021 00:07

SCIAG
bcubed
SCIAG You’re being unrealistic. A chance like Rino’s - about 20 yards out, slightly wide of goal - is unlikely to result in a shot on target and even less likely to result in a goal. I can’t remember the McIntyre one which probably says it all.

Nobody remembers the whole game, that’s physically impossible.

Again, you fundamentally don’t understand anything about football or statistics if you expect shots from outside the area to “regularly” be on target. They simply aren’t. For every one like the one yesterday there are three more that miss, and very very few will ever be struck that sweetly. You’re one step away from claiming that some goals count double - you’ve entered a fantasy realm where facts don’t matter, and you’re too arrogant and deluded to recognise it.

I don't respond to people who throw insults about. Except to say your response reminds me of OMA. Nuff said

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Feb 2021 07:37

I've made a Paunovic out banner for next game and will boo at the radio

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2021 08:34

Lower West
South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal

There's no options on the bench. The squad lacks wide players with pace. Hence why the opposition frequently presses us high. There's no out ball from the back. If the ball does go long we still have 10 players in our own half.

Aluko (spits) is an option. Onen is an option. Richards pushed forward is an option. Baldock is an option. Maybe Melvin-Lambertbis an option.

At 2-0 down there is no reason not to try one of them with a reasonable amount of time left.

Ejaria has not done enough for most of the season but his position is under no threat. It's not a surprise to me that one of our best attacking displays, and the one in which we scored the most goals came without him.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 22 Feb 2021 09:11

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal
bcubed I've been banging on about how we get bullied against these ugly teams. So I can sort of understand why we might think Semedo helps as he has got a physical presence and is not afraid to put himself about.

Very good points. I agree Ejaria should be in the middle. I'm not sure we can play both Olise and Ejaria. They are both very creative but most good teams really play with one with an enforcer or ball winner. Of course Rhino and Laurent are enforcers but they play too far back. A player like Parky battled it out in the middle and that's what we need.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Feb 2021 09:15

windermereROYAL
Millsy Let's not paper over the cracks.

We were SHIT today.

Probably the first game I just fast forwarded through, totally ridiculous performance, no guts.

Who was it who was saying Boro are a physical side and we don't know how to play these teams?

Pauno was at fault today, sorry, but do you really put a short arse RB on against a physical side when you have a massive decent enough right back available in Holmes?

Where was Puscas when we were 2-0 down. Taking Richards off?

Is Pauno totally clueless with selection and subs thesedays?

There were stories about these type of decisions at Chicago when he joined us to be fair.

Interesting. Also to be fair, it's probably not uncommon for fans to be all wise after the event and start scapegoating managers for doing things differently to what they would choose. Had we won 3-2 we'd all be hailing Pauno for keeping an attacking right back on, not risking Puscas etc etc and more often than not his results have been positive. I suspect probably the players are just tired.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 22 Feb 2021 11:38

I never buy that tired thing. OK you're a bit knackered after the game and might have picked up a bit of stretch here or there but you're running around for 90 minutes doing something you enjoy and want to do again, not gouging coal from a coal face on a ten hour shift, working in the burning heat of a steel mill in protective clothing, or on your feet for the whole day treating Covid patients.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Feb 2021 11:55

paddy20
South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal

Very good points. I agree Ejaria should be in the middle. I'm not sure we can play both Olise and Ejaria. They are both very creative but most good teams really play with one with an enforcer or ball winner. Of course Rhino and Laurent are enforcers but they play too far back. A player like Parky battled it out in the middle and that's what we need.

We played Ejaria plenty of times in the middle last season tbf and his form was still inconsistent. Much prefer Olise in the centre where he’s consistently performed at a higher level than on the right side

415 posts