415 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h)

by Sutekh » 16 Feb 2021 22:07

When : Saturday 20th February 2021, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Neil Warnock brings his Middlesbrough team down to Reading next for the usual no quarter given game from one of his teams.

The ‘boro are not in good form with just 4 points (1 win, 1 draw) from their last 18 but you should all still expect a very difficult time of it as Middlesbrough will still be well organised and battle all the way so Reading really need to be in the right frame of mind. Middlesbrough are also currently much better away from home and Reading’s home form has nosedived with 2 defeats from 2 games...

George Saville, Johnny Howson and Britt Assombalonga are the players that stand out as being the ones to shackle. Alleged Reading loan target in January, Neeskins Kebano, ended up joining the ‘boro instead on transfer deadline day.

Yannick Bolasie is out injured and defender Paddy McNair is suspended while Reading’s injury crisis improved slightly in midweek with Moore and Puscas now available again but Laurent replaced them in injury hell though we all still wait to hear what is wrong and how long he’ll be out, so who knows if he’ll be in contention for this game or not.

And, so speaking of Josh, just for the record he and Veljko Paunović have been placed on the POTM and MOTM Championship shortlists for January 2021!

Referee

David Webb

Previously....

30 Dec 2020 > Swansea City 0-0 Reading
30 Oct 2020 > Coventry City 3-2 Reading
26 Sep 2020 > Cardiff City 1-2 Reading
20 Oct 2018 > Reading 3-1 Millwall
29 Nov 2014 > Norwich City 1-2 Reading
24 Aug 2013 > Blackpool 1-0 Reading
01 Nov 2011 > Nottingham Forest 1-0 Reading
05 Dec 2009 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Reading

Historically

17 previous seasons so 17 previous visits from the ‘boro. Those 17 games have worked out fairly symmetrically so far with 5 wins, 6 draws and 6 defeats. However in the last 270 minutes of football played against Middlesbrough at the Mad Stad, Reading have scored just 1 goal, conceded 5 and collected precisely 0 points in the process.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use the iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h)

by windermereROYAL » 16 Feb 2021 22:11

Almost looking forward to Colin`s rant about the away facilities after the Millwall manager had a moan the other day.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 17 Feb 2021 00:58

Overdue a good Saturday session and a chance to see Colin bitch and moan about everything other than his own shortcomings. Really hope we stuff em.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 17 Feb 2021 07:16

Wasn't Laurent just rested as a precaution?

The only injury we currently have is Meite now, right?

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 17 Feb 2021 07:33

skipper Wasn't Laurent just rested as a precaution?

The only injury we currently have is Meite now, right?

Swift, Araruna??

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Feb 2021 09:03

We have some interesting selection problems coming in the next few weeks.

McIntyre is too good to drop right? (Also would love to point out how many people on here moaned about him after one bad game. Proving you all wrong now isn't he!)

Holmes vs Yiadom. How best to bring Meite and Puscas back in. Could be interesting to see how Pauno deals with it.

Anyway. Same team again for me unless Laurent is rested again. I think Olise was much better in the central, Swift-Lite, role. Being the main man seemed to give him more purpose and drive.

Esteves was actually pretty decent out wide right. Looked the most likely to create something for a good 10 minutes.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2021 09:08

Yeah, I wouldn't change anything from last nights team, unless Laurent is 100% fit and ready to go.

I think Moore is going to have to wait his turn, which shows how well TMc and Morro are playing. If we're winning comfortably on Saturday, I would quite like to see Moore get a cameo, although I really don't like breaking up CB partnerships mid-way through a game, so it would probably have to be 3-0.

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 17 Feb 2021 09:16

McIntyre was superb again last night - really not sure how Moore gets into the team the way he is playing. His reading of the game gets better with every match. And you can't drop Morro - what a brilliant signing he has been.

Yiadom was also superb and you feel he will play a big role in the remaining games.

Would prefer to see Laurent come back in but otherwise - same team.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Feb 2021 09:20

Hendo Yeah, I wouldn't change anything from last nights team, unless Laurent is 100% fit and ready to go.

I think Moore is going to have to wait his turn, which shows how well TMc and Morro are playing. If we're winning comfortably on Saturday, I would quite like to see Moore get a cameo, although I really don't like breaking up CB partnerships mid-way through a game, so it would probably have to be 3-0.

I got the feeling that our inability to get a 3rd last night lead to the substitutes being late - if we had scored a 3rd fairly early, I think we may well have seen some of the players given 25/30 mins rest but 2-0 is always a bit tricky as, as we showed last night, one can become two very quickly.

But yeah, I'd stick with the same squad, even if Laurent is fully fit I'd be tempted to just have him on the bench as Semedo did an excellent job last night.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2021 09:21

Stranded
Hendo Yeah, I wouldn't change anything from last nights team, unless Laurent is 100% fit and ready to go.

I got the feeling that our inability to get a 3rd last night lead to the substitutes being late - if we had scored a 3rd fairly early, I think we may well have seen some of the players given 25/30 mins rest but 2-0 is always a bit tricky as, as we showed last night, one can become two very quickly.

Yeah I agree with that, there were the usual suspects on Twitter moaning about subs yesterday, but I really didn't see anything wrong with them, given who we had on the bench and the match situation.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2021 09:40

Moore and Puscas will have to make do with spots on the bench for a while I think. TMc has been an absolute revelation. Where is that new contract? Pin him down til he signs it.

Suspect Laurent will come back in for Esteves (who did well, and should be getting more game time generally imo)

Yiadom is a better all round RB than Holmes, so as long as he is up to his fitness wise, keep him in.

Also interesting to see Gibson come on last night - another who probably deserves more game time on his performances but difficult to find him a spot.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Feb 2021 09:50

If Laurent was rested last night, do you think it will be Rinomhota on Saturday? They've both played pretty much every minute all season, so looking after them a bit more seems sensible.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Feb 2021 10:18

Not getting the love for the performances of Yiadom and Esteves last night. We looked far more dangerous attacking down the left.

There was a long period of the game where Esteves barely touched the ball and gave it away a couple of times when he did have it. I'm not knocking the lad as I think he's got a good future and Yiadom gets a pass as he's just back from injury. But to say that both had good games is pushing it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Feb 2021 10:32

Norfolk Royal Not getting the love for the performances of Yiadom and Esteves last night. We looked far more dangerous attacking down the left.

There was a long period of the game where Esteves barely touched the ball and gave it away a couple of times when he did have it. I'm not knocking the lad as I think he's got a good future and Yiadom gets a pass as he's just back from injury. But to say that both had good games is pushing it.

I can't disagree with any of that, I feel Esteves either needs to up his defensive game and become a proper full back or improve his attacking game and move up the field similar to how Gareth Bale transitioned from a left back to further up the field, he got in s few good positions yesterday and feel with a bit better composure he would have got on the scoresheet yesterday.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Feb 2021 10:38

I guess with Moore and Puscas back (and also Meite/Swift being injured), it gives us a different dimension and perhaps the opportunity to use a 5-3-2/3-5-2 formation if required

Noticed Boro played a formation along those lines last night so if Joao does become isolated against the three CB’s, we have more flexibility in terms of options off the bench and formation changes

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Feb 2021 11:00

tidus_mi2
Norfolk Royal Not getting the love for the performances of Yiadom and Esteves last night. We looked far more dangerous attacking down the left.

I can't disagree with any of that, I feel Esteves either needs to up his defensive game and become a proper full back or improve his attacking game and move up the field similar to how Gareth Bale transitioned from a left back to further up the field, he got in s few good positions yesterday and feel with a bit better composure he would have got on the scoresheet yesterday.

Yes that's right, composure being the operative word. The chance he had on the overlap near the end, notwithstanding that he could have slotted a pass to Joao for a tap in, was a case in point.

He need to steady himself and hit it across the goalkeeper low into the corner, not just hit it straight. He's done that a couple of times in games.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Feb 2021 11:02

We always look dangerous down the left though?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2021 11:07

Anyone notice how much more direct we've become recently btw? The playing out from the back is really pretty limited nowadays. Been an interesting evolution as the season has gone on

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Feb 2021 11:09

Hound Anyone notice how much more direct we've become recently btw? The playing out from the back is really pretty limited nowadays. Been an interesting evolution as the season has gone on

Thought we were just mixing it up tbh. Putting pressure on opposition who know how good we are on the ball.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Feb 2021 11:14

Just seen the McNair red from last night, I believe they are appealing it, he goes in with two feet but didn`t look out of control, probably 50/50 it will get rescinded.

415 posts