MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (a)

296 posts
oldebiscuit

Re: MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (a)

by oldebiscuit » 13 Mar 2021 23:37

WestYorksRoyal
Hound
Zip
What might have been. What would be good is to nail the play offs as early as possible and rest key players for the final couple of games of the League season. It worked for ‘Uddersfield.

Yep exactly that

I know Huddersfield won the playoffs, but it's hardly a model to follow. They didn't score a goal in 3 games, played out possibly the worst match of football ever against us at Wembley and won 2 penalty shootouts. They weren't fresh or remotely close to the form they had displayed earlier in the season.

Worst match of football? It was a disgrace! The Chairmen of both Clubs should have sacked the Managers for their cowardly approaches and every Fan should have sued for a refund under the Trades Description Act.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Mar 2021 09:11

oldebiscuit
WestYorksRoyal
Hound
Yep exactly that

I know Huddersfield won the playoffs, but it's hardly a model to follow. They didn't score a goal in 3 games, played out possibly the worst match of football ever against us at Wembley and won 2 penalty shootouts. They weren't fresh or remotely close to the form they had displayed earlier in the season.

Worst match of football? It was a disgrace! The Chairmen of both Clubs should have sacked the Managers for their cowardly approaches and every Fan should have sued for a refund under the Trades Description Act.

I imagine if we had won we would probably look back on it with a different view :)

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Mar 2021 11:32

bcubed
oldebiscuit
WestYorksRoyal I know Huddersfield won the playoffs, but it's hardly a model to follow. They didn't score a goal in 3 games, played out possibly the worst match of football ever against us at Wembley and won 2 penalty shootouts. They weren't fresh or remotely close to the form they had displayed earlier in the season.

I imagine if we had won we would probably look back on it with a different view :)

The closest competition is the day I finished my A-Levels in 2006. Most of my friends still had an exam or two, so instead of a night out I decided to get a couple of beers and watch the World Cup guilt free without worrying about revision. Unfortunately, it happened to be Switzerland v Ukraine in the last 16, and both were happy to take 0-0 and chance their arm on penalties. It was utterly dire and dreadful; when they went back to the studio Lineker compared it to watching paint dry and none of the pundits had anything positive to say. Switzerland were so bad they couldn't even score any of their penalties.

So our match against Huddersfield and that World Cup match are in joint 1st place for the worst matches I've ever watched.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Mar 2021 11:58

I don’t think enough is being said about Joao’s assist. oxf*rd glorious ball to Meite.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Mar 2021 12:58

Westwood52 Considering without Swift we are shite at free kicks and are a zero threat at corners;our league position is all the more commendable.Which coach is responsible for set plays ?Whoever it is needs to up his game.

Zero threat from corners??!! Seem to remember we have scored several goals from them (stats show the typical conversion rate for any team is a lot lower than many supporters seem to think) and hit the post yesterday from a very creative corner routine that had the local radio commentary team singing our praises.

And can the coach really be held particularly responsible if the players on the field lack ability to take decent free kicks.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Mar 2021 13:01

bcubed
CountryRoyal Yiadom MOTM.

As voted for by the Forest commentators? :D

To be fair to them, he did get away with an awful lot and it was remarkable that he didn't pick up a yellow by the end of the game.

I think the only time that they unfairly whined was when he was clearly dragged back by his shirt as he tried to break free with the ball from his own area. Given, he had got away from his man, he too would've probably preferred for the freekick not to have been awarded!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Mar 2021 13:14

RoyalBlue
Westwood52 Considering without Swift we are shite at free kicks and are a zero threat at corners;our league position is all the more commendable.Which coach is responsible for set plays ?Whoever it is needs to up his game.

Zero threat from corners??!! Seem to remember we have scored several goals from them (stats show the typical conversion rate for any team is a lot lower than many supporters seem to think) and hit the post yesterday from a very creative corner routine that had the local radio commentary team singing our praises.

And can the coach really be held particularly responsible if the players on the field lack ability to take decent free kicks.

Yeah this.

No one in the Championship takes consistently good set pieces. Hardly anyone in the PL.

We've put in some absolute peaches over the season. And some stinkers.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Mar 2021 13:51

tidus_mi2 Huddersfield needed two penalty shootouts to win the play-offs and frankly, we threw away the final shootout when we were 3-1 up. It can't be deemed a success to have relied on 3 0-0 results and the lottery of a penalty shootout in both the semi-final and the final as it could have easily been different.

I still think we have an extremely slim shot of automatic promotion but we would have to experience a complete collapse of our regular form across the season to not make the play-offs now. I'm excited for injured players to come back but I have been before and then we just ended up getting more injuries.

I'm getting visions of a penalty shootout in a few months and João getting the decisive penalty. :(

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 14 Mar 2021 14:07

RoyalBlue

A few plans,a bit of variety ?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Mar 2021 14:58

Westwood52
RoyalBlue

A few plans,a bit of variety ?

We’ve been more creative at corners and free kicks this season than we have for absolutely ages. First goal of the season is a great example.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Mar 2021 15:13

Hendo I don’t think enough is being said about Joao’s assist. oxf*rd glorious ball to Meite.

Good pass by Joao and a good run by Yaks. Joao is such an odd player. He has 21 goals and 7 assists which is a terrific return but he has buried half chances yet missed some absolute sitters and of course 3 pens.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Mar 2021 15:50

bcubed
oldebiscuit
WestYorksRoyal I know Huddersfield won the playoffs, but it's hardly a model to follow. They didn't score a goal in 3 games, played out possibly the worst match of football ever against us at Wembley and won 2 penalty shootouts. They weren't fresh or remotely close to the form they had displayed earlier in the season.

Suspect that we would have been a Derby or Sheffield United. Stam would have exposed completely tactically.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 14 Mar 2021 16:02

Lower West
bcubed
oldebiscuit

Suspect that we would have been a Derby or Sheffield United. Stam would have exposed completely tactically.

I'd have happily taken Sheff Utd's first season

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Mar 2021 17:30

Lower West
bcubed
oldebiscuit

Or a Huddersfield?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Mar 2021 18:16

One of the commentators said that we were only the second team to get points from forest after they’ve taken the lead - the other being derby.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Mar 2021 19:49

CountryRoyal One of the commentators said that we were only the second team to get points from forest after they’ve taken the lead - the other being derby.

Presumably because they don’t take the lead very often.
If it was against Man City, or even Norwich, it might be a bit more of an achievement !,

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Mar 2021 20:38

Nameless
CountryRoyal One of the commentators said that we were only the second team to get points from forest after they’ve taken the lead - the other being derby.

If it was against Man City, or even Norwich, it might be a bit more of an achievement !,

Yeah in fairness apart from us and Derby the only other games they’ve taken the lead in have been;

Wycombe
Blackburn
Rotherham
Millwall
Preston
Sheff Weds
Wycombe
Coventry
Blackburn

So yes, hardly in great company. Win or lose all of their games are pretty tight though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Mar 2021 20:39

Nameless

9 wins and 2 draws when scoring first.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 14 Mar 2021 21:23

John Madejski's Wallet
Lower West
bcubed I imagine if we had won we would probably look back on it with a different view :)

I'd have happily taken Sheff Utd's first season

HTF is geting whipped week in week out any fun? It's better to make the play offs and then lose the semi. It's considered a good season and the Managers happy, Fans are happy, and the Chairman is secretly happy as he doesn't have to fork out £20,000,000 on some guy whose heart is in Spain, Italy or some Eastern European Republic.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Mar 2021 00:15

Zip
Snowflake Royal

Yeah this.

Getting your best players out of match practice at crunch time seems daft.

No not this. It worked. They won the play offs.

Didn’t work well for us against Swansea back in 2011 where we were comprehensively outplayed for the majority of the game! We rested several first team players for the end of that season

I don’t think there’s much of a correlation at all tbf

296 posts