MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a)

429 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a)

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Mar 2021 09:21

I don't get what they expect Bowyer to instantly achieve, he was doing an average job at Charlton at best.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Mar 2021 09:52

Hound
Stranded Brum fans all optimistic about tonight and the season now that Bowyer is in. Need to stamp that out early tonight.

Karanka didnt sound like he was too popular there. Not sure Bowyer coming in at a days notice will change a great deal to be honest, but it might give them a bit of a mental boost

Karanka’s style is ultra defensive and rigid - fine if you’re winning games like he was at Boro but you’ll become deeply unpopular when you don’t get the results too - sounds like Karanka was extremely reluctant to change from his 4-2-3-1 which wasn’t working and they want to see 2 up top

Don’t know loads about Bowyer but his side had a bit of a collapse last season after what was a very promising start to the season

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Mar 2021 10:51

I am hoping that last night's heavy defeat for Rotherham will have a different effect than might be expected.

Normally the expectation, after a heavy defeat at home on Saturday but followed by a new manager appointment, would mean that the Brum players will be up for it and out to prove a point to the new manager.

My take on it (and wish) is that the players will be confused with the new manager only being there for one day, they are nervous in wishing to impress the new manager and further confused because Rotherham's games in hand might not be as threatening to their position as previously thought after last night's thrashing.

Anyway, in just under 11 hours from now we will know one way or another and hopefully our players will hit them hard from the off rather than slowly play their way into the game.
Pauno spoke about being disappointed with our slow start last Saturday so surely they won't be slow tonight.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Mar 2021 10:59

If Meite starts Brum can play like Brazil for all I care, they ain't gonna get sh*t from the game.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Mar 2021 11:39

Huge game tonight, especially after last night's results. New manager bounce etc. I just hope the pressure doesn't get to our lot.

Looks like playoffs are likely and we all know how they end up. Dealing with pressure is going to be a huge factor of the remainder of the season. Might be worth getting in some psychologists too in case of penalty shootouts as we have been dross from the spot so far.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2021 12:11

John Smith
Looks like playoffs are likely and we all know how they end up. Dealing with pressure is going to be a huge factor of the remainder of the season. Might be worth getting in some psychologists too in case of penalty shootouts as we have been dross from the spot so far.

Nah, Joao is giving the rest of the lads tips, we'll be fine.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 17 Mar 2021 13:26

tidus_mi2 I don't get what they expect Bowyer to instantly achieve, he was doing an average job at Charlton at best.

He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 17 Mar 2021 13:34

John Smith Huge game tonight, especially after last night's results. New manager bounce etc. I just hope the pressure doesn't get to our lot.

I think the lack of crowds takes away a massive amount of the feel good factor around a new manager bounce. In a parallel universe Bowyer’s appointment would have meant an extra 4-5,000 on the gate at St Andrews and a 20k plus midweek noisy St Andrews under the lights, which can be an intimidating atmosphere.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Mar 2021 13:35

Mr Optimist
John Smith Huge game tonight, especially after last night's results. New manager bounce etc. I just hope the pressure doesn't get to our lot.

I think the lack of crowds takes away a massive amount of the feel good factor around a new manager bounce. In a parallel universe Bowyer’s appointment would have meant an extra 4-5,000 on the gate at St Andrews and a 20k plus midweek noisy St Andrews under the lights, which can be an intimidating atmosphere.

Shall we take a look at the table after the first 8 games of this season? :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Mar 2021 13:46

Hound
Stranded Brum fans all optimistic about tonight and the season now that Bowyer is in. Need to stamp that out early tonight.

Karanka didnt sound like he was too popular there. Not sure Bowyer coming in at a days notice will change a great deal to be honest, but it might give them a bit of a mental boost

Need that first goal tonight otherwise things could get very awkward.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Mar 2021 14:16

Mr Optimist

Maybe. I just can't help forgetting how bad we were when they thrashed us at home this season

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Mar 2021 15:30

John Smith
Mr Optimist

Maybe. I just can't help forgetting how bad we were when they thrashed us at home this season

We were - interesting* how arguably some of our worst performances at home this year coincided with fans being in the ground. Brum played like a team chasing promotion that day - in the first half at least not one who are probably favourites for the drop as of today.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Mar 2021 15:36

Stranded
John Smith
Mr Optimist

We were - interesting* how arguably some of our worst performances at home this year coincided with fans being in the ground. Brum played like a team chasing promotion that day - in the first half at least not one who are probably favourites for the drop as of today.

Drew parallels from last season, lost at home to Birmingham in early December in what was one of our worst performances of the season, and one of their better ones. Don’t take too much notice of that result as they seem to always have our number at the Madejski

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Mar 2021 15:37

URZZZZ
Stranded
John Smith Maybe. I just can't help forgetting how bad we were when they thrashed us at home this season

Drew parallels from last season, lost at home to Birmingham in early December in what was one of our worst performances of the season, and one of their better ones. Don’t take too much notice of that result as they seem to always have our number at the Madejski

And bizarrely we recently seem to have their number at St Andrews

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Mar 2021 15:38

tidus_mi2
URZZZZ
Stranded

And bizarrely we recently seem to have their number at St Andrews

Yep, 3 wins in 4 there, and really could have been 4 from 5 as we battered them on the opening day (2015?) and unbelievably managed to lose it

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Mar 2021 15:45

tidus_mi2 I don't get what they expect Bowyer to instantly achieve, he was doing an average job at Charlton at best.

Yep and with one training session at best...he can't exactly change much for tonight formation wise

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Mar 2021 18:47

Meite in, Puscas out

Ejaria, Rinomhota on bench

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Mar 2021 18:48

Bench looking loads better - just Morro and swift away from full strength aren’t we?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 17 Mar 2021 18:54

Hound Bench looking loads better - just Morro and swift away from full strength aren’t we?

Araruna as well

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Mar 2021 18:58

Royals and Racers
Hound Bench looking loads better - just Morro and swift away from full strength aren’t we?

Araruna as well

Ah yeah

Not sure he’d make the squad tbf

429 posts