429 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a)

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2021 17:36

When : Wednesday 17 March 2021, 7.45pm
Where : St Andrews, Birmingham, B9 4RL
Capacity : 30,016

Another game to play and another game where really 3 points is a must to keep the gap a wide as possible to 7th place especially with the April Reading have scheduled.

This will be the second visit to St Andrews this season to play league football live on Sky and let’s hope it goes a bit better than the last disappointment, though the Sky win ratio has improved slightly since that Coventry game and is now up to a whopping 6 wins from 23 live games.

The second statistic to improve further is the dreadful away midweek league record which has seen a massive 4 wins from 42 games (a win ratio of 9.5% ) since April 2014. At least this one is against a team beginning with ‘B’ so there is a chance of victory (plus the last time Reading made the play offs they managed to win an away midweek league game at Birmingham City).

Birmingham have been rather odd this season. Reasonably decent and hard to beat when on their travels but utterly **** at home and that home form is the reason they’re 1 place above the relegation places. So far this season the blues have only managed 3 home wins (v QPR, Huddersfield and Brentford) but have been turned over on 12 occasions so there appears to be something for Reading to try and exploit (especially after the standard capitulation to Brum at the Mad Stad earlier this season).

Birmingham’s current form is not very impressive either with 2 wins and 3 draws from the last 12 games so hopefully Reading can continue to heap the pressure on the Blues rather than start giving their attempt to avoid relegation a boost, especially given it has been reported in the media today that Aitor Karanka was sacked after the Bristol City game and that a replacement will be appointed before Wednesday (Chris Wilder perhaps?).

Scott Hogan is their strike threat having bagged 6 league goals so far, after him is Jeremy Bela and defender Marc Roberts with 3 goals each plus there’s Lucas Jutkiewicz to watch out for if things aren’t going well for messers Hogan and Bela on the night.

Jonathan Leko is fit but had been sidelined by the Karanka and confined to one sub appearance in 2 months so who knows what new bloke will do. Reading will continue to be without former Brum defender Michael Morrison as well as John Swift and Felipe Araruna but Yakou Meite will hopefully be back in contention for a first start in a while.

Referee

Andy Woolmer

Previously...

13 Feb 21 > Reading 1-2 Millwall
14 Jul 20 > Reading 1-2 Middlesbrough
15 Feb 20 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-3 Reading
09 Nov 19 > Reading 3-0 Luton Town
01 Oct 19 > Reading 1-4 Fulham
19 Jan 19 > Derby County 2-0 Reading
18 Oct 16 > Reading 1-2 Aston Villa
27 Aug 16 > Cardiff City 0-1 Reading
23 Aug 14 > Nottingham Forest 4-0 Reading
08 Apr 14 > Bournemouth 3-1 Reading
29 Oct 11 > Crystal Palace 0-0 Reading
12 Apr 11 > Scunthorpe United 0-2 Reading
15 Apr 10 > Reading 3-0 Coventry City
16 Sep 08 > Reading 6-0 Sheffield Wednesday
17 Sep 05 > Reading 1-0 Crewe Alexandra

Historically

It took Reading until 1986 before they managed a league game with Birmingham and of the first nine league games played between the sides, seven ended in draws. To me it just seems that the fixture has subsequently struggled with an air of dour tedium ever since.

That said Reading do seem to do slightly better against the Blues in their own back yard as opposed to playing in Reading as the Biscuitmen have recorded 7 wins which is the same as Birmingham themselves.

Usually there are goals in this game and a clean sheet for either side is a bit unlikely so who would bet against a 0-0?

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM ; 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4, BBC iPlayer Radio (other radio apps are available ))

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a)

by Royals and Racers » 14 Mar 2021 17:45

Live on SKY 401 and 403

traff

by traff » 15 Mar 2021 09:44

Birmingham just about to announce sacking of their manager.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56104377

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Mar 2021 09:50

Would go with the same team here again although if Meite is fit to start, perhaps slot him in for Puscas or even Semedo like he did against Forest

You’d expect Birmingham to go into the game with a real lack of confidence so would be good to have a strong start to the game

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2021 10:13

URZZZZ Would go with the same team here again although if Meite is fit to start, perhaps slot him in for Puscas or even Semedo like he did against Forest

You’d expect Birmingham to go into the game with a real lack of confidence so would be good to have a strong start to the game

Think I'd go

.....................Cabral
Yiadom, Morrison, Moore, Richards
Meite, Semedo, Laurent, Olise
.................Puscas, Joao

There's a few goals in that side.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 15 Mar 2021 10:21

traff Birmingham just about to announce sacking of their manager.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56104377

Low reckons Bowen one of the front runners :D

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 15 Mar 2021 12:01

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Would go with the same team here again although if Meite is fit to start, perhaps slot him in for Puscas or even Semedo like he did against Forest

Think I'd go

Yes let`s play Morrison in a wheel chair so he can at least get around the pitch :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2021 12:06

Royals and Racers
Snowflake Royal

Think I'd go

Yes let`s play Morrison in a wheel chair so he can at least get around the pitch :wink:

Oh yeah. I knew something was wrong. Holmes obvs.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Mar 2021 12:35

Snowflake Royal

Think I'd go

It's certainly an option but Olise has been really effective in the current formation. I suppose its a question of whether our not we would be better off limiting him to allow others to shine?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Mar 2021 12:35

Would be ideal if they wait until after our game to do it :lol:

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 15 Mar 2021 13:45

Snowflake Royal
Royals and Racers
Snowflake Royal Think I'd go

Shame McIntyre cannot play on the right of Moore.Or can he ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2021 13:48

Westwood52
Snowflake Royal
Royals and Racers Yes let`s play Morrison in a wheel chair so he can at least get around the pitch :wink:

When Holmes has been perfectly capable and is suited to the right side, it makes no sense to me to crowbar McIntyre in at his expense by playing TMc or Moore slightly out of their comfort zone.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Mar 2021 13:51

Snowflake Royal
Westwood52
Snowflake Royal Oh yeah. I knew something was wrong. Holmes obvs.

When Holmes has been perfectly capable and is suited to the right side, it makes no sense to me to crowbar McIntyre in at his expense by playing TMc or Moore slightly out of their comfort zone.

McIntyre is our best player, so you should really be dropping Semedo or Laurent.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2021 13:51

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Think I'd go

It's certainly an option but Olise has been really effective in the current formation. I suppose its a question of whether our not we would be better off limiting him to allow others to shine?

Olise plays such a free roll I don't think it really matters where he is across the front line. And being on the left might encourage some more crossing.

Meite is good enough that he has to be part of the first team IMO. Is Meite right and Olise left better than Olise at the tip of the diamond and McIntyre at the base of midfield? You bloody bet it is IMO.

Meite is so important because he adds tempo, physicality and a different threat to the intricate stuff that is our current trade mark. He makes my starting XI any day he is fit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2021 13:53

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal
Westwood52

McIntyre is our best player, so you should really be dropping Semedo or Laurent.

If McIntyre is our best player, I should be dropping Moore, which I'd be happy to do, not Laurent or Semedo.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Mar 2021 13:54

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Think I'd go

Olise plays such a free roll I don't think it really matters where he is across the front line. And being on the left might encourage some more crossing.

Meite is good enough that he has to be part of the first team IMO. Is Meite right and Olise left better than Olise at the tip of the diamond and McIntyre at the base of midfield? You bloody bet it is IMO.

Meite is so important because he adds tempo, physicality and a different threat to the intricate stuff that is our current trade mark. He makes my starting XI any day he is fit.

Yeah thats fair.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Mar 2021 13:54

Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal When Holmes has been perfectly capable and is suited to the right side, it makes no sense to me to crowbar McIntyre in at his expense by playing TMc or Moore slightly out of their comfort zone.

If McIntyre is our best player, I should be dropping Moore, which I'd be happy to do, not Laurent or Semedo.

McIntyre is our best player in ever position.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2021 13:56

yeah lets not drop Laurent

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2021 13:58

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman McIntyre is our best player, so you should really be dropping Semedo or Laurent.

We all dream of a team of Tom McIntyres?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Mar 2021 13:59

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal If McIntyre is our best player, I should be dropping Moore, which I'd be happy to do, not Laurent or Semedo.

We all dream of a team of Tom McIntyres?

429 posts