391 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

by Sutekh » 30 Mar 2021 14:08

When : Friday 2nd April 2021, 5.30pm
Where : Oakwell, Grove Street, Barnsley, S71 1ET
Capacity 23,009

First of the big 8 games left and it doesn’t get much harder than Barnsley who are rolling like the proverbial stone gathering no moss. Really need to get something out of this one as Reading have the run in from hell and some sort of pointage partnered with a win on Monday against Derby will hopefully give everyone the confidence they need after the let downs achieved in the last couple of games.

That said it’s possibly a good time to play Barnsley though as they are in a run of 1 consecutive defeat so should be there for the taking, particularly if Reading can avoid conceding in the first 90 minutes :wink:

Before that 1 consecutive defeat though the Tykes had only won 10 and drawn 1 of their previous 11 games and consequently breezed into the top 6 rather effortlessly. In that run they’ve turned over both Brentford and Bournemouth away from home and actually managed to beat Birmingham! Looking at their run in it looks very very good as, other than an awkward visit from ‘boro, there’s really only Norwich at home on the last day of the top sides left (and by then Norwich are very likely to effectively be on the proverbial beach anyway).

Cauley Woodrow with 11 goals is their leading scorer after him the ones to watch are Alex Mowatt and Carlton Morris. Mr Morris I would suggest needs to be of particular interest as he has 6 goals from 3(12) appearances so probably has the best goals to minutes ratio of anyone at the club.

Trouble is that Barnsley’s high press style of play needs to be countered effectively, something which is always a problem for Reading. Going up there and trying to play pretty but slow passing triangles around midfield and defence is going to be asking for it, so I would suggest Reading need to try mix it up and be a bit more direct than usual. Also a higher tempo game wouldn’t come amiss either but as we know that’s rather unlikely.

Rather surprisingly VP has suggested that John Swift may be available for the game along with the return of Andy Yiadom and Michael Morrison. However if he is fit he’ll most likely get a place in the bench as the club will look to gently ease him back into things particularly with a visit from Derby on Monday.

Finally the game is on Sky so should be fairly easy for most with access to a Sky subscription somewhere to watch though Reading’s Sky record isn’t brilliant with just 6 wins from their last 24 games on the box.

Referee

Geoff Eltringham

Previously

24 Jan 21 > Preston North End 0-0 Reading
16 Dec 20 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
26 Feb 20 > Reading 0-3 Wigan Athletic
01 Jan 20 > Fulham 1-2 Reading
02 Mar 19 > Ipswich Town 1-2 Reading
02 Feb 19 > Reading 0-0 Aston Villa
29 Sep 18 > Brentford 2-2 Reading
03 Feb 18 > Reading 0-2 Millwall
22 Apr 17 > Nottingham Forest 3-2 Reading
17 Mar 17 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Reading
04 Feb 17 > Ipswich Town 2-2 Reading
13 Dec 16 > Leeds United 2-0 Reading
02 Apr 16 > Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Reading
12 Dec 15 > Preston North End 1-0 Reading
07 Apr 15 > Blackpool 1-1 Reading
23 Nov 13 > Blackburn Rovers 0-0 Reading
14 Feb 12 > Derby County 0-1 Reading

History

Reading away from home to play that oft quoted, proverbial game always thrown up when some mercurial foreign talent arrives from some hotter clime, got to be a miserable time to be had by all southern softies surely?

Well no actually, it was like that once but it’s not that bad these days.....

This will be the 36th time league action has occurred between the two teams in South Yorkshire and so far Reading have won 11 of the games compared to Barnsley’s 16. Sadly though fate will now be tempted as the bit Reading have to protect on Friday is the fact that since they moved to the Mad Stad they have made this league trip 8 times and obtained 18 points following 5 wins and 3 draws.

How to follow the game

1. SKY
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

by Hound » 30 Mar 2021 15:15

not sure we struggle with the high press more than anything else on balance tbh but anyway

Looks like we could be near full strength. No excuses really from this point in, we've found ourselves in a decent position and its in our hands. We certainly have the tools to beat Barnsley - its just making sure they all show up and perform

Rafael
Yiadom Richards Moore Morro
Laurent Rino
Meite Olise Ejaria
Joao

Southwood Holmes Swift McIntyre/Gibson Baldock Aluko Semedo Puscas Esteves

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Mar 2021 16:01

Hound not sure we struggle with the high press more than anything else on balance tbh but anyway

Looks like we could be near full strength. No excuses really from this point in, we've found ourselves in a decent position and its in our hands. We certainly have the tools to beat Barnsley - its just making sure they all show up and perform

Rafael
Laurent Rino
Meite Olise Ejaria
Joao

Like that squad, although would have Araruna in for Esteves and McIntyre rather than Gibson/Aluko/Baldock

Particularly like the idea of Richards at CB and Morrison LB - could be a masterstroke

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Mar 2021 16:09

URZZZZ
Hound not sure we struggle with the high press more than anything else on balance tbh but anyway

Rafael
Laurent Rino
Meite Olise Ejaria
Joao

Like that squad, although would have Araruna in for Esteves and McIntyre rather than Gibson/Aluko/Baldock

Particularly like the idea of Richards at CB and Morrison LB - could be a masterstroke

would definitely throw their high press :). Obvs I might to swap those 2 round

Not sure on Araruna, he hasn't played for bloody ages and he wasn't particularly special when he did. McIntyre is only a doubt there as he might not be fit. Very harsh dropping Gibson but not sure we really need Holmes, McIntyre and Gibson on the bench. Actually would prob drop Holmes out of those 3 if i had to

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Mar 2021 17:59

This is a game to try out the false fall back role that Pep uses to help overcome the high press.

Seriously - I just think we will win this, narrowly, as the game is massive for both sides and I think with the rest and prep we have better players than Barnsley at the end of the day.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Mar 2021 09:05

This is the sort of game we have to win to have any chance of getting all 3 points. Lose it and it's definitely 0 points. Needless to say 3 points is better than 0 if we want to get into the playoffs so I hope we win.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Mar 2021 09:23

Feel we have to win this one - most of the squad haven't played for 2 weeks so should be fairly rested - coming in on a run of 3 without a win , whilst a draw wouldn't be fatal it could allow those below to pass us or close the gap. Mentally a win would be massive and would also dent Barnsley confidence as well.

Lose and things will be out of our hands for the first time this season.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 31 Mar 2021 09:29

Absolutely bricking it for this one. Haven't been this nervous for a game since the playoff final. Do or die.

I think we have the ability to get a result up there and I'm going to say we nick it 1-2

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 31 Mar 2021 09:45

If you don't fancy Mick and Tim then this game is also on TalkSport 2

05:00pm
EFL Live - Barnsley v Reading
Live commentary of the Championship match between Barnsley and Reading

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Mar 2021 12:35

Sanguine about this one.

If we win, great. If we don't it's a blow but there's loads of points available still. It's not like we're even necessarily out the PO spots if we lose.

At worst we'd be 3 points behind Bournemouth IF they won and won their game in hand.

Easily recoverable.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Mar 2021 12:48

Hound
URZZZZ

Rafael
Laurent Rino
Meite Olise Ejaria
Joao

Not sure on Araruna, he hasn't played for bloody ages and he wasn't particularly special when he did. McIntyre is only a doubt there as he might not be fit. Very harsh dropping Gibson but not sure we really need Holmes, McIntyre and Gibson on the bench. Actually would prob drop Holmes out of those 3 if i had to

Gibson adds nothing in terms of cover which we don’t already have in McIntyre.
If you have Gibson instead of Holmes you have no cover for Morrison who is just back after not having played for a couple of months with the sort of muscle injury that often recurs.
Yiu also have no proper defensive cover at right back.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Mar 2021 13:00

Agree, dropping Holmes to have Gibson and McIntyre on the bench is Mentz

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Mar 2021 13:53

Nameless
Hound
URZZZZ

Gibson adds nothing in terms of cover which we don’t already have in McIntyre.
If you have Gibson instead of Holmes you have no cover for Morrison who is just back after not having played for a couple of months with the sort of muscle injury that often recurs.
Yiu also have no proper defensive cover at right back.

Esteves?

On Holmes' last performance there I'd rather not have him cover there. Rino can play there as well. There's more cover there than there is for Richards at LB, where Gibson covers.

Pretty sure Moore/Gibson/McIntyre can all play RCB more than adequately. After all, you normally have two right footed CBs, so two lefties aint a problem

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Mar 2021 13:54

Snowflake Royal Agree, dropping Holmes to have Gibson and McIntyre on the bench is Mentz

its really not is it

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Mar 2021 14:08

Hound
Snowflake Royal Agree, dropping Holmes to have Gibson and McIntyre on the bench is Mentz

its really not is it

Tbf even with 7 subs earlier on in the season, Paunovic still included all three of Holmes, Gibson and McIntyre on the bench so with 9 subs, wouldn't be surprised to see that occur again

Given that Aluko and especially Baldock rarely featured even with the likes of Meite, Swift, Puscas and Ejaria out, I'd suggest their spots on the bench are probably most at danger, and we do know Paunovic is generally cautious with his subs so wouldn't be surprised to see:

Southwood Esteves Holmes Gibson McIntyre Semedo Swift Puscas Aluko/Baldock

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Mar 2021 15:09

Hound

its really not is it

Let's have two guys who cover the exact same positions over a guy who covers completely different ones.

Yep, perfect management.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Mar 2021 15:37

Snowflake Royal
Hound

its really not is it

Let's have two guys who cover the exact same positions over a guy who covers completely different ones.

Yep, perfect management.

McIntyre can play CB, LB and has played CM. Gibson has played CB, LB and LM. So 2 players covering 3 positions in fine

Likewise having Holmes on the bench to cover RB and CB when you have Esteves and McIntyre on the bench isnt really necessary either.

Being as neither will likely get on its all a bit moot. It certainly isnt 'mentz' though either way

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Apr 2021 07:51

Snowflake Royal Sanguine about this one.

If we win, great. If we don't it's a blow but there's loads of points available still. It's not like we're even necessarily out the PO spots if we lose.

At worst we'd be 3 points behind Bournemouth IF they won and won their game in hand.

Easily recoverable.

Completely and utterly wrong. This is the season in one game. Do or die.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Apr 2021 09:13

John Smith

Easily recoverable.

I think you're both right, guys and there is a middle way.

On the one hand as big as it feels a single game like technically is just a single game and there are plenty of games to make up and stay in the playoffs so I agree a defeat won't be the end of anything.

On the other hand it's a crunch game between two top teams and with all the frailties we've shown this really is the game that will tell us if we're up to it and in that sense I agree that lose this and while mathematically ok, it will be such a psychological blow AND give us so much of an insight into how shite we are that it's effectively season over, as in even if we do scrape into the playoffs we're unlikely to make much of it.

The middle way: actually for me it's about the performance. A shite performance scraping a lucky win against 10 men, with a dodgy penalty award and I'll be bricking it, but a 1-0 defeat the other way with a brilliant royals performance will be much more encouraging.

In summary: yes it is a crunch game, not the result per se but how we perform.

But yes I'm bricking it :wink:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Apr 2021 09:57

Millsy
John Smith

BUT

Easily recoverable.

I think you're both right, guys and there is a middle way.

On the one hand as big as it feels a single game like technically is just a single game and there are plenty of games to make up and stay in the playoffs so I agree a defeat won't be the end of anything.

On the other hand it's a crunch game between two top teams and with all the frailties we've shown this really is the game that will tell us if we're up to it and in that sense I agree that lose this and while mathematically ok, it will be such a psychological blow AND give us so much of an insight into how shite we are that it's effectively season over, as in even if we do scrape into the playoffs we're unlikely to make much of it.

The middle way: actually for me it's about the performance. A shite performance scraping a lucky win against 10 men, with a dodgy penalty award and I'll be bricking it, but a 1-0 defeat the other way with a brilliant royals performance will be much more encouraging.

In summary: yes it is a crunch game, not the result per se but how we perform.

But yes I'm bricking it :wink:

We have TWO good chances ATM, catching Barnsley and keeping clear of BMTH, Cardiff, BORO.

BUT
If we lose to Barnsley we will be 5 points behind them with seven games left and they have a much easier run-in. For us to still catch them would involve BOTH a great run from us (and we still have to play Norwich (1), Watford (2), Swansea (3) plus Cardiff).

Lose to Barnsley and gain 5 or 6 points in 7 games on a team that is FLYING? Highly unlikely.

If Barnsley beat us, essentially we would have to beat Derby, Huddersfield, Luton AND ALSO beat one of the bigger guns. This would only get us to 74 points and 74 may well not be enough. Not "impossible" but I would want high odds to bet on that one.

And, of course, losing to Barnsley gives BMTH massive encouragement. They could go above us on Saturday with a huge GD advantage and a game in hand. A draw BMTH-BORO would be nice, even better a 0-1 win for BORO... We might get lucky and see Cardiff fail to beat Forest.

In all seriousness, If Barnsley beat us, what odds against will Reading be for the top six? If Barnsley and BMTH win I would want 33-1

391 posts