MATCHWATCH : Watford (a)

441 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Watford (a)

by Zip » 09 Apr 2021 22:11

Notts Royal I agree with the comments about Watford. Don’t think we’re giving them the credit they deserve...they were 2-0 up very early in the game and have the best defensive record in the league. They allowed us to have the ball but were pretty comfortable for the vast majority of the game

We could have had a hatful in the first half. Their passing out from the back was dreadful. Second half they were very comfortable.
We don’t look a fit team. We seem to badly run out of steam.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Apr 2021 22:11

Orion1871
Stranded
Orion1871 Pausing Sky at the top of the the league table is disappointing.

Pausing it at the bottom of the table and seeing Coventry, Birmingham Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe making up four of the bottom five and knowing we've dropped so many points to them is depressing.

Other clubs have dropped points there too. Bournemouth have taken 0 points from Wednesday for example.

Watford dropped points at Wycombe.

Good for them. Still doesn't excuse us dropping a total of 14 points to four of the bottom five.

Tbf It's not just a problem with this Reading team either.

I'm just pointing out that all teams drop points where they "shouldn't". Joy of a competitive division.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 Apr 2021 22:12

As a side note, imagine being Xisco Munoz, inheriting that team.

Then imagine Paunovic, inheriting a hung over shower of shite with no idea what’s going on at the helm, 4 days prior to the first game. Arguably achieved so much more than his counterpart this season.
Last edited by royalp-we on 09 Apr 2021 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Apr 2021 22:14

Stranded
Zip
Winston Biscuit I hope people end up appreciating the season we have had rather than forgetting what recent seasons have been like and just moaning that we didnt* make the play offs

Can’t agree Winst. The great start to the season is why we are where we are. More losses than wins since then isn’t good enough. We should all be disappointed if we finish below Barnsley when we had a 15 point advantage over them.

Yes and no. Barnsley have been on a monumental run, similar to ours in 11/12, they just started too late. Sometimes you just have to say fair play.

They have done very well but if they win their game in hand will be twenty points better than us since our great start to the season ended. Twenty points better. Come on Stranded. That’s not good enough from us. We have messed up so many times. Way too many opportunities not taken.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Apr 2021 22:16

royalp-we As a side note, imagine being Xisco Munoz, inheriting that team.

Then imagine Paunovic, inheriting a hung over shower of shite with no idea what’s going on at the helm. Arguably achieved so much more than his counterpart this season.

Pauno took over a talented squad that had finished just below mid table. Not sure about the great achievement here.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Apr 2021 22:18

Average performance yet again. Seem to rely too much on the opposition having an off day. Rather than turning up and bossing the game. Pauno can only work with what he has at his disposal. Which is limited. Too many misfits in the squad.

Torbay Royal

by Torbay Royal » 09 Apr 2021 22:34

Nobody expected a season like this but if we don't make the playoffs after the blistering start we made, it will be seen as a disappointment.

I think Pauno is hoping we can limp into the playoffs and so he's resting players now in the hope that they'll get a second wind for those games. I can't see it but if we did win the playoffs, we would get battered next season in the PL.

If, as I expect, we stay in the Championship, our jewels will probably go in the summer and that will leave us back in the lower reaches of table next year. It's too soon to rate Pauno's recruitment abilities but his second season in charge will be a lot more challenging.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 Apr 2021 22:35

Zip

Then imagine Paunovic, inheriting a hung over shower of shite with no idea what’s going on at the helm. Arguably achieved so much more than his counterpart this season.

Pauno took over a talented squad that had finished just below mid table. Not sure about the great achievement here.

Yeah good point. Hardly a positive where most of the league admit we played better than Watford today, have punched all season, we’ve brought in just 1 player for money (Ejaria) and nobody in January.

What a tool :lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Apr 2021 22:40

royalp-we
Zip

Yeah good point. Hardly a positive where most of the league admit we played better than Watford today, have punched all season, we’ve brought in just 1 player for money (Ejaria) and nobody in January.

What a tool :lol:

We didn’t play better than Watford today. We were better for the second part of the first half and that was it. They were very comfortable in the second half. He hasn’t had money to spend and deserves next season to improve on things. However he inherited a decent squad that was competitive last season so this is not the great leap forward that many of you are suggesting.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 09 Apr 2021 22:46

Whatever the overall truths of this season the individual errors have been the ones that have hurt. When I saw Gibson was up against Sarr tonight you instantly had the dread feeling that that would be the place where the game was lost. Trouble is of course, if everyone else can see that, why can’t the manager?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Apr 2021 22:49

I feel frustrated with it all because I believe that technically we are one of the top six teams in the division. We have a number of gifted players. We play football that is a joy to watch at times yet we are likely to fall short.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Apr 2021 23:08

Liam Moore has deactivated his Twitter account because of the toxic Reading fans.
Last edited by Pepe the Horseman on 09 Apr 2021 23:15, edited 2 times in total.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 09 Apr 2021 23:09

A game of missed chances for us again. I don’t think we were awful and we played some nice stuff. Credit to Watford they managed the second half well and we just looked knackered.

Really wouldn’t surprise me if it’s Norwich , Watford and Bournemouth who go up. It seems it’s turning into survival of the fittest and there squad depth and quality is starting to show now.

This season can’t be viewed as a failure if we don’t make play offs. We had a great start and we play some lovely football on our day but the injuries have slowly caught up with us. Still think we can make the playoffs but gonna need 4 wins from 5.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Apr 2021 23:10

Did someone nominate a player other than Olise as our MOTM tonight?

Madness.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Apr 2021 23:14

Pepe the Horseman Liam Moore has deactivated his Twitter account because of the toxic Reading fans.

Just seen the post that led to this - Someone being a racist pcunt. Hopefully will get what's coming to them.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Apr 2021 23:15

I think given the injuries it’s borderline miraculous we’ve maintained our top 6 position for quite as long, no team has any right to win promotion playing Semedo as an attacking midfielder and an inexperienced centre back at right back for most the season :lol:

We’ve done incredibly well given the circumstances. Should we fail to go up it will definitely feel like the one that got away.

Injuries
Failure to recruit in January
Managerial mistakes
Costly misses

These could well be the defining features of this season in the end. Any omission or mitigation of anyone of the above and we would most likely have been competing for automatic promotion.

It’s a shame, but it’s not over until the fat lady sings. I’m still optimistic that we can do it, and if we can we will be in great form and potentially have Swift back.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Apr 2021 23:16

Pepe the Horseman
Pepe the Horseman Liam Moore has deactivated his Twitter account because of the toxic Reading fans.

Just seen the post that led to this - Someone being a racist pcunt. Hopefully will get what's coming to them.

I hate people.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Apr 2021 23:18

Zip I feel frustrated with it all because I believe that technically we are one of the top six teams in the division. We have a number of gifted players. We play football that is a joy to watch at times yet we are likely to fall short.

Plenty of gifted players lack the mental application to be consistent game in game out.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 09 Apr 2021 23:27

First half,Sarr was the difference.The worry was that 30 minutes in the second half ,when we did nothing.Pauno didn’t really have a clue what to do about the situation.Two nil down and bringing on Baldock and Alukho with 5 minutes to go was very poor decision making .Meite and Laurent really did stink the place out.Gibson needs to look for another career.As a CB you would expect him to at least give Sarr a physical game,not flap around like Bambi on ice.Defensively Holmes was OK,but his passes out of defence were atrocious.
Not a great ref again.At times way out of control.Bottled the head shot on Holmes and after telling Hughes several times to move a free kick back,in the end just let him get on with it.Also let Watford kick the ball away to stop quick free kicks and throw ons;until it was way to late in the game.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Apr 2021 23:38

Royal Rother Did someone nominate a player other than Olise as our MOTM tonight?

Madness.

Hell yes. Yiadom was outstanding.

441 posts