Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

262 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

by Hound » 04 May 2021 13:47

Snowflake Royal It's pretty simple IMO.

If you have wide attackers who want to cut inside on their stronger foot because they're inverted, you need full backs who are willing to go beyond on the outside.

If you have wide attackers who want to get to the byline and cross, you want full backs who can cross from deep / cut inside.

Currently we have wide attackers who want to cut inside (in fact one wants to play centre forward) and full backs who want to cut inside. That means all our play is happening around the edge of he 18 yard box and is cluttered and squeezed of space without enough width.

yep pretty much. Would agree with that.

I think Richards can play that FB role - why its been so disappointing that he doesn't seem to be doing it. Yids is a very good fb, but overlapping and crossing isnt his game. Think you can do that on one side, but one of the FBs needs to be able to overlap and cross

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2021 13:51

Hound

If you have wide attackers who want to cut inside on their stronger foot because they're inverted, you need full backs who are willing to go beyond on the outside.

If you have wide attackers who want to get to the byline and cross, you want full backs who can cross from deep / cut inside.

Currently we have wide attackers who want to cut inside (in fact one wants to play centre forward) and full backs who want to cut inside. That means all our play is happening around the edge of he 18 yard box and is cluttered and squeezed of space without enough width.

I think Richards can play that FB role - why its been so disappointing that he doesn't seem to be doing it. Yids is a very good fb, but overlapping and crossing isnt his game. Think you can do that on one side, but one of the FBs needs to be able to overlap and cross

Left is most important because you want to hit that back post for Meite to bully the fullback.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 May 2021 16:03

Hound

Likewise. And going back to my earlier example, that's why Forster and Murty were so potent, Murts would either be feeding Fozzy in around the penalty area, or in Alexander-Arnold style, delivering a cross from 35 yards out.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 04 May 2021 16:30

Snowball I think Ejaria should be central AM or No 10

+1 Snowball, Ejaria would be lethal as a number 10. When Ejaria is on his game he is a very tricky player who can bambozzle an opponent. This mainly happens on the left side of midfield which is his chosen position. Now, if you put a player of Ejaria's ability and play him just of the shoulder of the striker it gives you a whole new dimension.
Ejaria has an eye for goal and a good shot on him and he is also one of the few players who can pick a pass. Finally, you put someone as tricky as Ejaria around the penalty box with the ball the oposing defenders will shit bricks!!
I really thing we need a speedy left winger in the mould of "Barrow" and move Ovie into the Attacking Midfield role and keep him there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2021 17:21

I think he'd continue to slow everything down and fail to deliver enough end product given his talent. But he'd be a lot better suited there to the wing.

Which is why I hope that when we sell Olise we bring in a proper LWer and then have Swift and Ejaria compete for 10. With Swift also able to cover Laurent / Rino alongside Tetek and maybe a loanee.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 05 May 2021 08:10

Crowbar6753

+1 Snowball, Ejaria would be lethal as a number 10. When Ejaria is on his game he is a very tricky player who can bambozzle an opponent. This mainly happens on the left side of midfield which is his chosen position. Now, if you put a player of Ejaria's ability and play him just of the shoulder of the striker it gives you a whole new dimension.
Ejaria has an eye for goal and a good shot on him and he is also one of the few players who can pick a pass. Finally, you put someone as tricky as Ejaria around the penalty box with the ball the oposing defenders will shit bricks!!
I really thing we need a speedy left winger in the mould of "Barrow" and move Ovie into the Attacking Midfield role and keep him there.

I'm a big fan and really don't buy into most of "he always slows stuff down/no end product" criticism but his shooting is woeful and is absolutely an area he would need to improve on.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 May 2021 08:43

Vision
Crowbar6753

I'm a big fan and really don't buy into most of "he always slows stuff down/no end product" criticism but his shooting is woeful and is absolutely an area he would need to improve on.

I think he has it in his locker for sure, last season he scored a cracker against West Brom from the edge of the box, his goal against Huddersfield was also decent (last season) IIRC, but agree it is certainly something he needs to work on, but I think he has the base ability.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2021 10:12

Have to agree with Vision. Two of his goals have been scuffed deflections

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 May 2021 10:56

We need to ignore the first 8 games because, after all it was new manager bounce.

Delete any own-goals because WE didn't score them.

Delete all deflected goals, scuffed goals and mis-kicks

Delete any goals we were awarded where the opponent's keeper should have saved it

Our season is now P4 W2 D1 L1 5-3 and we end out 7th

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 May 2021 17:42

Does the Casumo sponsorship deal end soon?

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 09 May 2021 20:45

Hound

We had a left back who could get forward and cross a ball, but we released him for free at the end of last season

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 May 2021 20:50

Hendo
Vision
Crowbar6753

I think he has it in his locker for sure, last season he scored a cracker against West Brom from the edge of the box, his goal against Huddersfield was also decent (last season) IIRC, but agree it is certainly something he needs to work on, but I think he has the base ability.

Both in the same week. Far too often isn't involved in the game enough. And yes he does slow the game to a walking pace far too often when out on the wing.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 09 May 2021 21:25

Crowbar6753

Well that’s been our problem for the last 2 seasons...we effectively have 3 attacking mids, all who are too good to leave out of the side. Olise is better than Ovie which is why Ejaria good pushed out wide. Swift can drop a bit deeper but then than breaks up our double pivot

So at least 1 must be sold and financially it makes sense to sell Olise

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 May 2021 08:42

Should we not be looking to sell Swift? Love the man, I'm a big admirer but we can't really rely on him at this point can we? Shift him for a bit of cash and let Ovie have that central position. Focus on getting an actual winger in to play on the left.

I presume Olise is gone so some smart signings/loans/promotion to cover LB, DM and AM should be enough to produce a similar season. Provided Joao doesn't turn out to be a one season wonder..

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 10 May 2021 08:43

Snowball We need to ignore the first 8 games because, after all it was new manager bounce.

Delete any own-goals because WE didn't score them.

Delete all deflected goals, scuffed goals and mis-kicks

Delete any goals we were awarded where the opponent's keeper should have saved it

Our season is now P4 W2 D1 L1 5-3 and we end out 7th

:lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 May 2021 08:49

NewCorkSeth Should we not be looking to sell Swift? Love the man, I'm a big admirer but we can't really rely on him at this point can we? Shift him for a bit of cash and let Ovie have that central position. Focus on getting an actual winger in to play on the left.

I presume Olise is gone so some smart signings/loans/promotion to cover LB, DM and AM should be enough to produce a similar season. Provided Joao doesn't turn out to be a one season wonder..

Weirdly not seen single piece of speculation linking Olise with anyone since about February

I'm guessing he will be gone, but seems to have gone a little quiet

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2021 08:59

NewCorkSeth Should we not be looking to sell Swift? Love the man, I'm a big admirer but we can't really rely on him at this point can we? Shift him for a bit of cash and let Ovie have that central position. Focus on getting an actual winger in to play on the left.

Swift's just spent a season injured. I can't see many wanting to gamble good money on him.

The best option would be to sell him or Ovie, the two who contributed least last season through injury or form, and keep Olise. But we aren't going to get that choice in all likelihood.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 May 2021 11:02

Snowflake Royal

Swift's just spent a season injured. I can't see many wanting to gamble good money on him.

The best option would be to sell him or Ovie, the two who contributed least last season through injury or form, and keep Olise. But we aren't going to get that choice in all likelihood.

Yeah I already consider Olise gone. Hound is correct that there hasn't been much speculation but I cant see him staying at all.

Which is a huge pity.

Yes you are correct Swift has been injured too long to have retained even half his value but if an offer of 4 or so million comes in its probably time to bite their hand off. Not that I see that happening. The rumours of him taking it easy at the end of last season to keep his fitness for a potential move have been a little sour tasting. Of course it might be utter bollocks.

I disagree with you on Ovie. Yes he can slow things down and should be getting much more goal contributions for a player of his talent but his value doesn't look like doing anything but growing right now. I know its all a bit pointless now but I do think he would have got quite a few more assists if Meite had been fit all season. His near perfect crosses to the far post in his absence had people just staring at them where Meite would have put his body on the line to get to them.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 May 2021 11:03

Hound

Weirdly not seen single piece of speculation linking Olise with anyone since about February

I'm guessing he will be gone, but seems to have gone a little quiet

There will likely be a long queue of teams battling for him. I just hope we can squeeze out a record fee.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2021 11:10

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Yeah I already consider Olise gone. Hound is correct that there hasn't been much speculation but I cant see him staying at all.

Which is a huge pity.

Yes you are correct Swift has been injured too long to have retained even half his value but if an offer of 4 or so million comes in its probably time to bite their hand off. Not that I see that happening. The rumours of him taking it easy at the end of last season to keep his fitness for a potential move have been a little sour tasting. Of course it might be utter bollocks.

I disagree with you on Ovie. Yes he can slow things down and should be getting much more goal contributions for a player of his talent but his value doesn't look like doing anything but growing right now. I know its all a bit pointless now but I do think he would have got quite a few more assists if Meite had been fit all season. His near perfect crosses to the far post in his absence had people just staring at them where Meite would have put his body on the line to get to them.

If we got £2m for Swift I'd be amazed.

262 posts