Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

262 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

by John Smith » 03 May 2021 21:35

Snowflake Royal Shame we lost Novakovich

:roll: :roll: :roll:

yuomi

by yuomi » 04 May 2021 08:45

Greatwesternline To anyone saying we dont have proper wingers, we have coaches who could presumably coach players into being wingers.

Aluko is capable of running down the wing and crossing, as should be Olise. Ejaria is capable of doing it. You work with the players you've got.

You tell them what to do in a game, and if they dont do it, you drop them, explain why you've done it, and play someone who will follow your instructions.

The fact that Ejaria stops running forwards everytime he has a one on one because he likes to take it inside and show he can try to out trick 2/3 people in a crowded space doesnt help a team much. it might be great in drills in training, or on a 5-a-side pitch, but on a big pitch with 10 outfield players you need to be able to make progress down said pitch.

Either Ejaria is uncoachable, in which case he's not actually a very good professional footballer, or the coaching staff arent good at coaching.

The problem with all of this is that we are completely devoid of any raw and sustainable pace. Ejaria, Olise and Aluko aren't quick, and neither of the first two wants to be a winger. Their tendency to cut inside is because that's where they're most comfortable and want to be. Effectively what we've got then are 3 players (them and Swift) batting for the same no.10 role. With WBs, Yiadom can't maintain front and back (and his crossing is inconsistent at best) for 90 minutes and richards' form has fallen off a cliff since ze Germans came calling. Top of the (imaginary) shopping list for me has to be a pacy, powerful winger or two.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 May 2021 09:02

yuomi
Greatwesternline To anyone saying we dont have proper wingers, we have coaches who could presumably coach players into being wingers.

Aluko is capable of running down the wing and crossing, as should be Olise. Ejaria is capable of doing it. You work with the players you've got.

You tell them what to do in a game, and if they dont do it, you drop them, explain why you've done it, and play someone who will follow your instructions.

The fact that Ejaria stops running forwards everytime he has a one on one because he likes to take it inside and show he can try to out trick 2/3 people in a crowded space doesnt help a team much. it might be great in drills in training, or on a 5-a-side pitch, but on a big pitch with 10 outfield players you need to be able to make progress down said pitch.

Either Ejaria is uncoachable, in which case he's not actually a very good professional footballer, or the coaching staff arent good at coaching.

The problem with all of this is that we are completely devoid of any raw and sustainable pace. Ejaria, Olise and Aluko aren't quick, and neither of the first two wants to be a winger. Their tendency to cut inside is because that's where they're most comfortable and want to be. Effectively what we've got then are 3 players (them and Swift) batting for the same no.10 role. With WBs, Yiadom can't maintain front and back (and his crossing is inconsistent at best) for 90 minutes and richards' form has fallen off a cliff since ze Germans came calling. Top of the (imaginary) shopping list for me has to be a pacy, powerful winger or two.

Do enjoy it when fan who occasionally goes games or watches on tv decides highly rated player isn't a very good pro footballer, can't be coached without ever seeing a training session, or coaches who have spent all their life in football and done all their badges etc aren't very good coaches. I know we all do it to an extent but come on.

I do agree however that the lack of Richards overlap has taken a lot out of Ejaria's game. He does like to come inside, but he can when required get by on the outside - just not seen too much of it. I don't think playing a winger alongside him helps particularly - you do need the FB helping though. When we were at our best, he had the option of coming inside and looking for Meite or Joao, shooting, dribbling, or using the overlap. Maybe teams have gotten wise to it, or he just hasn't been at top form

to be fair to him, he offers far more than just the attacking side anyway, he works his backside off and does he fair share of defensive duties as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2021 09:15

John Smith
Snowflake Royal Shame we lost Novakovich

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Just for you sweetheart. :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2021 09:19

Hound
yuomi

Do enjoy it when fan who occasionally goes games or watches on tv decides highly rated player isn't a very good pro footballer, can't be coached without ever seeing a training session, or coaches who have spent all their life in football and done all their badges etc aren't very good coaches. I know we all do it to an extent but come on.

I do agree however that the lack of Richards overlap has taken a lot out of Ejaria's game. He does like to come inside, but he can when required get by on the outside - just not seen too much of it. I don't think playing a winger alongside him helps particularly - you do need the FB helping though. When we were at our best, he had the option of coming inside and looking for Meite or Joao, shooting, dribbling, or using the overlap. Maybe teams have gotten wise to it, or he just hasn't been at top form

to be fair to him, he offers far more than just the attacking side anyway, he works his backside off and does he fair share of defensive duties as well.

You can't fault Ejaria for trying. But his application is too often poor.

Take one of Narch's goals for example. He was back defending in the RB slot. = committed.

But he was weak and failed to stay goal side = application.

It's good decisions with Ejaria. And he's been here two and a half seasons now.

However, I do think saying Olise doesn't have pace is wrong. He does. Seen him go round the outside a few times now, it's always a bit of a surprise though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 May 2021 09:28

Snowflake Royal You can't fault Ejaria for trying. But his application is too often poor.

Take one of Narch's goals for example. He was back defending in the RB slot. = committed.

I think thats a fairly rare example of his defensive side costing us a goal though - definitely didnt get it right on that occasion but he's generally pretty good. Wins a lot of balls in midfield

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2021 09:39

Hound
Snowflake Royal You can't fault Ejaria for trying. But his application is too often poor.

I think thats a fairly rare example of his defensive side costing us a goal though - definitely didnt get it right on that occasion but he's generally pretty good. Wins a lot of balls in midfield

Yep, good at interceptions

Of the three, contracts, wages, fitness being equal, he'd be the one I'd sell of Olise, Swift and Ejaria.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 04 May 2021 10:42

Hound

If a young player arrives at the club and has the same faults 3 years later, then as in any profession, you might say, the lack of improvement suggests either inability or unwillingness to change, or improve.

Ejaria is a skillful player, but he has been allocated the position of left wing by his manager and coaches this season. if he is instructed as a left winger to cut back, double back on himself to try and beat a player who is behind him, when attacking, then that is strange / poor management. If he hasnt been instructed to slow everything down, and cut inside, try and beat a player, when an attacking as on, then why is he doing it?

Someone can be good at playing football, it doesnt mean they are also good at following instructions, or learning how to fulfil their potential as part of a team.

In a team sport, you get given a role and you do it to the best of your ability. if you are young you are supposedly still developing, and learning your trade. I dont see any reduction in Ejaria's flaws three years after him joining the club.

Antonio has learned a new position in his career. Ashley Young changed positions in his career. Gareth Bale changed positions. Just because a players wants to do something, doesnt mean it needs to be indulged by management. That's the hard bit.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 May 2021 11:43

I think Ejaria should be central AM or No 10

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 May 2021 11:45

Has felt like there's been little demand made of players at Reading to play as wingers, really since the days of Murty and Forster bombing up and down the right-hand side.

Meaning no disrespect to the chap, but Gareth McCleary is one of the biggest wastes of talent I think I've seen pass through the revolving doors of his club. Very skilful on the ball, and one of the quickest players in the league, certainly pre-injuries, and yet he was never, it appeared, ask to play as that pacy, by-line-reaching winger.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 May 2021 11:48

Sanguine Has felt like there's been little demand made of players at Reading to play as wingers, really since the days of Murty and Forster bombing up and down the right-hand side.

Meaning no disrespect to the chap, but Gareth McCleary is one of the biggest wastes of talent I think I've seen pass through the revolving doors of his club. Very skilful on the ball, and one of the quickest players in the league, certainly pre-injuries, and yet he was never, it appeared, ask to play as that pacy, by-line-reaching winger.

He was played as a ten for Forest for one game and scored 4!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 May 2021 11:49

Greatwesternline
Hound

If a young player arrives at the club and has the same faults 3 years later, then as in any profession, you might say, the lack of improvement suggests either inability or unwillingness to change, or improve.

Ejaria is a skillful player, but he has been allocated the position of left wing by his manager and coaches this season. if he is instructed as a left winger to cut back, double back on himself to try and beat a player who is behind him, when attacking, then that is strange / poor management. If he hasnt been instructed to slow everything down, and cut inside, try and beat a player, when an attacking as on, then why is he doing it?

Someone can be good at playing football, it doesnt mean they are also good at following instructions, or learning how to fulfil their potential as part of a team.

In a team sport, you get given a role and you do it to the best of your ability. if you are young you are supposedly still developing, and learning your trade. I dont see any reduction in Ejaria's flaws three years after him joining the club.

Antonio has learned a new position in his career. Ashley Young changed positions in his career. Gareth Bale changed positions. Just because a players wants to do something, doesnt mean it needs to be indulged by management. That's the hard bit.

You don't think Ejaria is a significantly better player than he was when he first joined on loan? He is far better than he was imo. He was pretty much an unknown when he joined us, now he has players watching videos of him constantly. To even stand still he would have had to have improved massively,

He is a predominantly right footed player playing on the left. The tactics are clearly for him to come inside, as it is for Meite on the RHS. It was working pretty well but I do think its been found out a little as the season went on, or maybe there's some lethargy/not full fitness there. They certainly weren't the threat they were early season

is it always Ejaria's fault that he 'slows things down' anyway (which I think is massively overdone anyway - become another Reading fan cliche). If there isn't a run down the flank being made/players in the box then there isn't a lot he can do.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 May 2021 12:05

Sanguine Has felt like there's been little demand made of players at Reading to play as wingers, really since the days of Murty and Forster bombing up and down the right-hand side.

Yep, he was quality back in the day - although tarnished his reputation here - outstayed his welcome the last couple of seasons

Was most potent with Stam’s 4-3-3, played a hugely expansive game, particularly in the first half of the season - his numbers were terrific. Tailed off when when we changed to a formation with no wingers under Stam/he was played up front/Aluko joined/his niggly injuries and ultimately that was the beginning of the end for him here

Too much focus on “inverted” wingers nowadays

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 May 2021 12:23

Hound
Greatwesternline
Hound

You don't think Ejaria is a significantly better player than he was when he first joined on loan? He is far better than he was imo. He was pretty much an unknown when he joined us, now he has players watching videos of him constantly. To even stand still he would have had to have improved massively,

He is a predominantly right footed player playing on the left. The tactics are clearly for him to come inside, as it is for Meite on the RHS. It was working pretty well but I do think its been found out a little as the season went on, or maybe there's some lethargy/not full fitness there. They certainly weren't the threat they were early season

is it always Ejaria's fault that he 'slows things down' anyway (which I think is massively overdone anyway - become another Reading fan cliche). If there isn't a run down the flank being made/players in the box then there isn't a lot he can do.

In terms of output then no, I don’t think he has improved, certainly not considerably anyway

Albeit there’s more to it than just measuring goals and assists but it’s still a fundamental part of an attacking players game and it simply hasn’t been there since the first couple of months this season. Almost identical to last season too

He does perhaps take more of the blame than most players in the team do, but it was a similar situation with Swift a couple of years back, players who play in that role carry a greater expectation to perform given we know what they can do and they’ll stand out more after a poor performance

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 04 May 2021 12:27

Hound

I think his work rate to track back has improved, he's often more eager to defend than Olise or Meite.

he wasn't unknown to me because im friends with a Rangers fan who spoke about him a lot. Saying, he dribbles a lot, but it seems indulgent and wasteful.

The tactics must be for him to come inside when he has someone in front of him. Fine. But too often, perhaps once a match even, there can be an opportunity where he has been released, and a break is on, or he has been put in at the corner of the box and he ought to make clear headway with the ball, but 5 seconds later you'd be likely to see him no further up the pitch, and defenders now goal side of him.

Thise does not happen to Olise and Meite. If they have beaten their man, 5 seconds later they'd be much further up the pitch, probably with the defenders still behind them

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2021 12:34

Greatwesternline
Hound

I think his work rate to track back has improved, he's often more eager to defend than Olise or Meite.

he wasn't unknown to me because im friends with a Rangers fan who spoke about him a lot. Saying, he dribbles a lot, but it seems indulgent and wasteful.

The tactics must be for him to come inside when he has someone in front of him. Fine. But too often, perhaps once a match even, there can be an opportunity where he has been released, and a break is on, or he has been put in at the corner of the box and he ought to make clear headway with the ball, but 5 seconds later you'd be likely to see him no further up the pitch, and defenders now goal side of him.

Thise does not happen to Olise and Meite. If they have beaten their man, 5 seconds later they'd be much further up the pitch, probably with the defenders still behind them

He also rarely takes his man on at pace when 1v1, which is baffling. But he will slow down, stop and then take his man on at a walking pace when there are two other defenders nearby.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 May 2021 12:39

It’d be interesting to see how he got on playing wide right instead of left

Weirdly I don’t remember him ever playing there. I actually think he is pretty right footed - I guess quite a lot of the come-inside-rather-than-down-the-flank is because of that

Meite is actually pretty similar - he nearly always comes inside, partly because his right foot crosses are normally terrible

Does surprise me that don’t swap over from time to time

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 May 2021 12:51

Can Bayern back out of the contract offer to Richards? I'd be having second thoughts looking at his recent form.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 May 2021 13:11

On Ejaria, should he play with a wing-man?

I don't mean a winger.

He regularly has 3-4 players close to him. With a wing-man, a player who specifically
shadows him waiting for the out ball, that player would receive the ball with 3-4 defenders out of the game

OR, because Ejaria has help now, the defence have to leave at least one
player on the wing-man, making things easier for Ejaria.

Watching games it often seems as if 9 outfield players watch, wait and see
when Ejaria gets the ball in a tight situation, and respond a little late.

We need a "dynamic duo" like we've seen just a few times (but not often enough)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2021 13:30

It's pretty simple IMO.

If you have wide attackers who want to cut inside on their stronger foot because they're inverted, you need full backs who are willing to go beyond on the outside.

If you have wide attackers who want to get to the byline and cross, you want full backs who can cross from deep / cut inside.

Currently we have wide attackers who want to cut inside (in fact one wants to play centre forward) and full backs who want to cut inside. That means all our play is happening around the edge of he 18 yard box and is cluttered and squeezed of space without enough width.

262 posts