Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

262 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Apr 2021 20:28

Firstly I think Joaos absolute shitness in recent games may have put buyers off. I don't think he is going anywhere.
Baldock and Aluko will be freeing up some wages YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! Could possibly bring in a couple of replacements.......Paunovic does well with youth and hopefully a replacement for Olise is just round the corner.
We will build on this season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Apr 2021 20:32

Snowball
Snowflake Royal
Nameless If you judge things on the pitch rather than spreadsheets we absolutely have been mixing it with the best. Almost all our games against other top 6 sides have been close, we’ve looked comfortable alongside teams with essentially PL. squads. Of course we need to be winning more of these games but to say we have not been competitive is to assume the stats tell the tale, when they don’t.

Absolutely this.

Excellent. Next time we lose four out of seven to a group at home and win just one away, I’ll call it “competing”

As I said, watch games and give the spreadsheets a rest. I’m not too fussed what you call the numbers when I can see clearly that not only have we competed in individual games we have also competed in the league. We’ve not been successful enough, by a whisker, but you have to be an absolute (not sure what) to think we haven’t been competitive this season.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Apr 2021 20:46

Nameless
Snowball
Snowflake Royal Absolutely this.

Excellent. Next time we lose four out of seven to a group at home and win just one away, I’ll call it “competing”

As I said, watch games and give the spreadsheets a rest. I’m not too fussed what you call the numbers when I can see clearly that not only have we competed in individual games we have also competed in the league. We’ve not been successful enough, by a whisker, but you have to be an absolute (not sure what) to think we haven’t been competitive this season.

Agreed, 33 games and a negative goal-difference. That's competitive.

PS The final table is a spreadsheet.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Apr 2021 20:47

Ascotexgunner Firstly I think Joaos absolute shitness in recent games may have put buyers off. I don't think he is going anywhere.
Baldock and Aluko will be freeing up some wages YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! Could possibly bring in a couple of replacements.......Paunovic does well with youth and hopefully a replacement for Olise is just round the corner.
We will build on this season.

Should do. I'd like a bit of speed somewhere, and a bit more nastiness

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 Apr 2021 21:43

Lets not forget that we've played in an artificial environment this season. Who knows how the team will respond to the return on fans in the mad stad - who knows how the fans will respond to the team? There will know doubt be some players who thrive in a livelier atmosphere and some that will buckle under pressure.

Maybe in a funny way this season has been a good 'circuit breaker' for fans and we'll return with a better attitude and more belief in the team and manager.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Apr 2021 21:54

Elm Park Kid Lets not forget that we've played in an artificial environment this season. Who knows how the team will respond to the return on fans in the mad stad - who knows how the fans will respond to the team? There will know doubt be some players who thrive in a livelier atmosphere and some that will buckle under pressure.

Maybe in a funny way this season has been a good 'circuit breaker' for fans and we'll return with a better attitude and more belief in the team and manager.

Very good point!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Apr 2021 22:17

..and there's me thinking this was a Haircut 100 reunion thread.

:twisted:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Apr 2021 22:23

Snowball
Nameless
Snowball

Agreed, 33 games and a negative goal-difference. That's competitive.

PS The final table is a spreadsheet.

That's just manipulation of figures

Take off any of the top six's best 8 game streak and funnily enough you'll see their performance isn't as good.

Take Watford's last 8 out and suddenly they're a PO team not top 2. Similar for Barnsley. And Swansea.

The final table is a spreadsheet, but it doesn't arbitrarily remove some of the season so to suit its argument.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Apr 2021 23:46

Snowflake Royal
Snowball
Nameless

Take Watford's last 8 out and suddenly they're a PO team not top 2.

Watford haven't conceded more than 2 goals in any league fixture so far this season.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Apr 2021 23:47

Ascotexgunner Firstly I think Joaos absolute shitness in recent games may have put buyers off. I don't think he is going anywhere.

He's 27. Would have made the top flight by now if he was the total package.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Apr 2021 07:57

Lower West
Snowflake Royal
Snowball

Take Watford's last 8 out and suddenly they're a PO team not top 2.

Watford haven't conceded more than 2 goals in any league fixture so far this season.

Thanks for the non-sequiter

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Apr 2021 09:10

Snowball
Elm Park Kid Lets not forget that we've played in an artificial environment this season. Who knows how the team will respond to the return on fans in the mad stad - who knows how the fans will respond to the team? There will know doubt be some players who thrive in a livelier atmosphere and some that will buckle under pressure.

Very good point!

Very small sample, but we played 3 home games with fans in the stadium this year

Forest W 2-0
Brum L 1-2
Norwich L 1-2

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Apr 2021 09:52

Stranded
Snowball

Very good point!

Very small sample, but we played 3 home games with fans in the stadium this year

Forest W 2-0
Brum L 1-2
Norwich L 1-2

Interesting. At least we win some games at home these days.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Apr 2021 10:33

Stranded
Snowball

Very good point!

Forest W 2-0
Brum L 1-2
Norwich L 1-2

Brum probably our worst performance of the season imo. And just happened to be the one game this season I went to see :(

yuomi

by yuomi » 13 Apr 2021 11:08

Good start aside, there are still some pretty big red flags flying when it comes to this team.

Both Brums games, Preston, Stoke and Millwall at home in particular were old school games of the kind we've got much too familiar with in recent years. Add to that Pauno doesn't seem to have a plan b once his game's been worked out (somewhat like a scary bald Dutchman we used to know), and I wonder if we might be heading for more of the same.

Summer will be interesting. Hopeful but not expecting this FFP business to get sorted. Praying that Dai remains interested for another year even after we miss out on promotion. I'd like to see what VP does with regards to recruitment and how he makes this squad his own without the EFL getting in the way.

Hopeful, but not optimistic.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Apr 2021 11:29

yuomi Good start aside, there are still some pretty big red flags flying when it comes to this team.

Both Brums games, Preston, Stoke and Millwall at home in particular were old school games of the kind we've got much too familiar with in recent years. Add to that Pauno doesn't seem to have a plan b once his game's been worked out (somewhat like a scary bald Dutchman we used to know), and I wonder if we might be heading for more of the same.

Summer will be interesting. Hopeful but not expecting this FFP business to get sorted. Praying that Dai remains interested for another year even after we miss out on promotion. I'd like to see what VP does with regards to recruitment and how he makes this squad his own without the EFL getting in the way.

Hopeful, but not optimistic.

not sure on the plan b. I think we do. We have seen us go long, play 2 up top, change the shape of midfield, put on FBs in wide midfield positions, go 3 at the back. Possibly we make the changes too late, and they haven't always been successful, but I think this is largely as Pauno doesn't trust a lot of the backup

The big red flags for me are the failures to really threaten when we go behind and still losing out to the more direct teams at times, when we really shouldn't be doing so.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 13 Apr 2021 11:31

Taffster are you known for being premature?

though I agree it is out of our hands there is still time for teams to stumble. a few years back we look relegated with about 6 games to go and we pulled off the great escape.

In regards to next season if we don't go up we have already lost our LB and are likely to lose Olise. but we still have a good core of players and an academy churning out talent I am not too worried. 1 or 2 sensible signings and go again.
We have done well this season because we don't have a bloated squad.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Apr 2021 11:57

linkenholtroyal
though I agree it is out of our hands there is still time for teams to stumble. a few years back we look relegated with about 6 games to go and we pulled off the great escape.

Tonight's is the second time we've watched and hoped. Hoping for two home wins but not holding my breath. If Swansea and Bournemouth WERE to win, what would our remaining chance be?

linkenholtroyal

And we've (probably) missed out because we didn't have good-enough cover

pendulums and spinning things...

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 13 Apr 2021 12:05

Agree, the weaknesses we have have been pretty obvious all season really. Throw in the appalling injury problems and it's all got a bit too much for the squad we have.

We need a good replacement for Richards, someone a bit more gung ho possibly. Sorensen at Norwich would have been a good bet as he's been sidelined by wtf signing but rate him highly. Unfortunately on three year deal with them so would cost.

I think next season can be good if we make a couple of sensible signings. Keeping Swift fit will be crucial, if difficult. He should be in his prime in the next few years.

There's still work to do on Joao with a sport psychologist but think he will stay. Optimistic in general.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Apr 2021 12:11

Snowball
linkenholtroyal

Tonight's is the second time we've watched and hoped. Hoping for two home wins but not holding my breath. If Swansea and Bournemouth WERE to win, what would our remaining chance be?

linkenholtroyal

And we've (probably) missed out because we didn't have good-enough cover

pendulums and spinning things...

Bournemouth have Norwich and Brentford in their next 3. So even with a Bournemouth win tonight, I don't right us off. Catching Swansea will be gone if they win later.

262 posts