Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

262 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

by NewCorkSeth » 10 May 2021 11:16

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Swift's just spent a season injured. I can't see many wanting to gamble good money on him.

The best option would be to sell him or Ovie, the two who contributed least last season through injury or form, and keep Olise. But we aren't going to get that choice in all likelihood.

Yeah I already consider Olise gone. Hound is correct that there hasn't been much speculation but I cant see him staying at all.

Which is a huge pity.

Yes you are correct Swift has been injured too long to have retained even half his value but if an offer of 4 or so million comes in its probably time to bite their hand off. Not that I see that happening. The rumours of him taking it easy at the end of last season to keep his fitness for a potential move have been a little sour tasting. Of course it might be utter bollocks.

I disagree with you on Ovie. Yes he can slow things down and should be getting much more goal contributions for a player of his talent but his value doesn't look like doing anything but growing right now. I know its all a bit pointless now but I do think he would have got quite a few more assists if Meite had been fit all season. His near perfect crosses to the far post in his absence had people just staring at them where Meite would have put his body on the line to get to them.

If we got £2m for Swift I'd be amazed.

Stranger things have happened.. get Hammond back in to rinse some teams?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2021 11:18

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Yeah I already consider Olise gone. Hound is correct that there hasn't been much speculation but I cant see him staying at all.

Which is a huge pity.

Yes you are correct Swift has been injured too long to have retained even half his value but if an offer of 4 or so million comes in its probably time to bite their hand off. Not that I see that happening. The rumours of him taking it easy at the end of last season to keep his fitness for a potential move have been a little sour tasting. Of course it might be utter bollocks.

I disagree with you on Ovie. Yes he can slow things down and should be getting much more goal contributions for a player of his talent but his value doesn't look like doing anything but growing right now. I know its all a bit pointless now but I do think he would have got quite a few more assists if Meite had been fit all season. His near perfect crosses to the far post in his absence had people just staring at them where Meite would have put his body on the line to get to them.

If we got £2m for Swift I'd be amazed.

Stranger things have happened.. get Hammond back in to rinse some teams?

I'd take Hammond back, but I don't think the owners would like him and I don't think he has much to work with what with finances, injuries and want away players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 May 2021 11:45

NewCorkSeth . The rumours of him taking it easy at the end of last season to keep his fitness for a potential move have been a little sour tasting. Of course it might be utter bollocks.

Really? Doesn't sound like Swift tbh - not heard that at all

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 10 May 2021 12:28

Can we just reflect on the fact that Swift played 13 games, and wasn't in a losing position in any of them. The one game we did lose, was when he was taken off (vs. Norwich)

That's really been the telling part of the season. If he had been fit, yadda yadda yadda.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2021 12:40

skipper Can we just reflect on the fact that Swift played 13 games, and wasn't in a losing position in any of them. The one game we did lose, was when he was taken off (vs. Norwich)

That's really been the telling part of the season. If he had been fit, yadda yadda yadda.

It's very impressive although I'm far from convinced causation not correlation...

Weren't we losing before he came off v Norwich though... not that 1 in 13 is much worse than 0 in 13.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 May 2021 13:15

Hound
NewCorkSeth . The rumours of him taking it easy at the end of last season to keep his fitness for a potential move have been a little sour tasting. Of course it might be utter bollocks.

It doesn't sound like him guess but once that idea was put out there it stuck in my head. Think it came about after the Bowen interview on Second Tier.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 May 2021 13:31

skipper Can we just reflect on the fact that Swift played 13 games, and wasn't in a losing position in any of them. The one game we did lose, was when he was taken off (vs. Norwich)

Decent stat that.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 May 2021 13:52

NewCorkSeth
Hound

It doesn't sound like him guess but once that idea was put out there it stuck in my head. Think it came about after the Bowen interview on Second Tier.

Do you mean - from what Bowen said? Or something someone said after that?

To me Bowen came off as a bit bitter (possibly justified) but also inclined to twist events to suit his own perception of what happened when, to put himself in a better light. So if it was from something Bowen said, I wouldn't put much credence on it at all.

As a general note, I think some managers at least are very inclined to imply that players aren't injured when they are - born from the frustration of not having them available I presume. But I have worked for a manager who seemed to take anybody being off sick as a personal slight, and was always making snide and nasty comments - with the result that everyone took the absolute maximum they could when they were sick - if you were going to get abuse anyway, you might as well make it worth it. And it made for a very bad atmosphere in general.

I'd wonder if Bowen was like that - I'm sure there were rumours that he wasn't particularly popular with the players either - which may be why the owners wanted to move him a bit away from management, while still thinking he was good for the club overall.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 May 2021 13:57

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
Hound

To me Bowen came off as a bit bitter (possibly justified) but also inclined to twist events to suit his own perception of what happened when, to put himself in a better light. So if it was from something Bowen said, I wouldn't put much credence on it at all.

As a general note, I think some managers at least are very inclined to imply that players aren't injured when they are - born from the frustration of not having them available I presume. But I have worked for a manager who seemed to take anybody being off sick as a personal slight, and was always making snide and nasty comments - with the result that everyone took the absolute maximum they could when they were sick - if you were going to get abuse anyway, you might as well make it worth it. And it made for a very bad atmosphere in general.

I'd wonder if Bowen was like that - I'm sure there were rumours that he wasn't particularly popular with the players either - which may be why the owners wanted to move him a bit away from management, while still thinking he was good for the club overall.

What I meant is that tidbit of info came about after his interview, potentially due to it. I cant recall but did he not say something similar about Liam Moore in that? Something about him angling for a move so protecting his fitness? Not that I take him at his word if he did say that. Moore has always come across very professional.

I do recall fans in here saying it about Miazga though. Something about pulling out of challenges?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 May 2021 14:21

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
NewCorkSeth It doesn't sound like him guess but once that idea was put out there it stuck in my head. Think it came about after the Bowen interview on Second Tier.

What I meant is that tidbit of info came about after his interview, potentially due to it. I cant recall but did he not say something similar about Liam Moore in that? Something about him angling for a move so protecting his fitness? Not that I take him at his word if he did say that. Moore has always come across very professional.

I do recall fans in here saying it about Miazga though. Something about pulling out of challenges?

I think I remember something along these lines as well - possibly if you know a player may be leaving, your perception of how they are playing may change, even if actually, it's just the same.

For me, I wouldn't be inclined to believe this about either Moore or Swift.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 May 2021 15:51

Snowflake Royal

It's very impressive although I'm far from convinced causation not correlation...

Weren't we losing before he came off v Norwich though... not that 1 in 13 is much worse than 0 in 13.

Subbed off in the 62nd minute, Norwich's second goal came in the 64th so no

Only completed the whole 90 minutes once all season - for all his qualities, it's time to move him on

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2021 16:58

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

Only completed the whole 90 minutes once all season - for all his qualities, it's time to move him on

Ok cool. It was close then. I thought they took the lead quite early SH rather than late.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 May 2021 17:19

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

Isn't this the first time he's had a serious injury? Bit kneejerk to say move him on, especially when his stock is probably at it's lowest.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 May 2021 18:59

I would definitely look to keep Swift especially if Olise goes. What is he age wise? About 26. Last season was poor with injuries but we usually get around 35 games a season from him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2021 19:19

tidus_mi2
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal It's very impressive although I'm far from convinced causation not correlation...

Isn't this the first time he's had a serious injury? Bit kneejerk to say move him on, especially when his stock is probably at it's lowest.

First time? Are you having a laugh? This is his third injury hit season with us.

The guy had to relearn how to run after the first one back in about 2017

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 May 2021 20:03

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2
URZZZZ

First time? Are you having a laugh? This is his third injury hit season with us.

The guy had to relearn how to run after the first one back in about 2017

36, 24, 34, 41 and 9 league appearances since he signed for us.

So I think I'll stand by my first serious injury comment.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 May 2021 21:21

I’d say missing just under half a season worth of games would count as a serious injury.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2021 22:04

How anyone can say Swift's original hamstring injury wasn't serious is baffling

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 May 2021 22:27

Snowflake Royal How anyone can say Swift's original hamstring injury wasn't serious is baffling

It was 3 oxf*rd seasons ago, not all of us have a great memory and the fact he played in half the games suggests it wasn't nearly comparable to the one this season.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 May 2021 22:58

Suffered from playing too much at a young age. No off season. Always playing for England.

262 posts