Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

262 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Apr 2021 10:44

Ascotexgunner Why do people keep droning on about Paunovic not having a "plan b"
I mean seriously, how do you make a plan B out of half an injured first team and a bench with 2 expensive flops who should have been drummed out the club years ago. Then there's some players I've never heard of appearing on there. Then theres the fact the only real impact sub Puscas has been injured on and off.
I'd say of the top 7 Paunovic has had the hardest job this season and the worst luck.
Missed open goals and penalties. Not his fault.
Of course he has a plan b but with no squad consistency, losing your most creative player, his job must have been a nightmare at times.

Excellent point. Between Puscas, miete, joao all have missed parts of the season due injury plus joao going off the boil, what plan B does that leave Pauno with? Baldock? ALUKO? They aren’t a plan B, let’s hope we can bring in some players to give us a plan B next season

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Apr 2021 11:39

My biggest concern and maybe it's just PTSD from the Stam era is that after a relatively successful season especially when measured against recent seasons, we'll just revert to form next season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Apr 2021 11:56

tidus_mi2 My biggest concern and maybe it's just PTSD from the Stam era is that after a relatively successful season especially when measured against recent seasons, we'll just revert to form next season.

Difference for me, when looking at that, is that with Stam we ground out a lot of wins by a very small margin. Whereas this season, we have won games much more comfortably and, probably playing better football as well, even when losing.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 14 Apr 2021 12:05

Snowball
linkenholtroyal
though I agree it is out of our hands there is still time for teams to stumble. a few years back we look relegated with about 6 games to go and we pulled off the great escape.

Tonight's is the second time we've watched and hoped. Hoping for two home wins but not holding my breath. If Swansea and Bournemouth WERE to win, what would our remaining chance be?

linkenholtroyal
We have done well this season because we don't have a bloated squad.

And we've (probably) missed out because we didn't have good-enough cover

pendulums and spinning things...

I am not saying it is unlikely just that there is a chance. Until that is gone we should support the team and hope for the best. Imagine if we won all 5 and took the momentum into the play offs. I prefer the smaller squad as it gives a chance for the academy to shine and show it's worth.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2021 12:08

Hendo
tidus_mi2 My biggest concern and maybe it's just PTSD from the Stam era is that after a relatively successful season especially when measured against recent seasons, we'll just revert to form next season.

Difference for me, when looking at that, is that with Stam we ground out a lot of wins by a very small margin. Whereas this season, we have won games much more comfortably and, probably playing better football as well, even when losing.

Other difference we were in a relegation fight either side of that season.

Last season we finished comfortably mid table in 14 th. So a relegation fight next season would be a teo season turnaround, not a 1 season blip at the top.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2021 12:11

Hendo

Other difference we were in a relegation fight either side of that season.

Last season we finished comfortably mid table in 14 th. So a relegation fight next season would be a teo season turnaround, not a 1 season blip at the top.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Apr 2021 12:12

You can say that again!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Apr 2021 12:18

Hendo You can say that again!

that again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2021 12:49

Fuk sake.getting logged out 5 minutes and laggage and can't tell if it posts or not.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Apr 2021 14:32

tidus_mi2
Hendo You can say that again!

that again.

did you say it or just type it?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 14 Apr 2021 15:13

Would prefer to revert to form in the Championship than in the Premier league!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Apr 2021 15:57

skipper

It might be nice to have two point records though...

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 15 Apr 2021 08:37

tidus_mi2
skipper

It might be nice to have two point records though...

Derby can keep that one!!!

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 18 Apr 2021 06:39

Hendo

Also, one of the more significant reasons we went off the boil in Stam’s second season was the arrival of Gourlay.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Apr 2021 08:32

URZZZZZZZZ
Hendo

Also, one of the more significant reasons we went off the boil in Stam’s second season was the arrival of Gourlay.

We just went on a big spending spree with players on long contracts who weren’t good enough to get us up. Plus losing the spine

The financial restrictions will possibly almost assist us in that it won’t happen again this time round - we’re almost forced to trust the younger lads which is probably a blessing

Really need to sort those contracts out mind you - Tetek, Holmes, Rino, Tom Mc, Laurent should all be being sorted new deals out

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 18 Apr 2021 08:44

Aluko has been a decent bet when he’s played this season...you can’t say he hasn’t contributed.
Watford at home he was excellent, Bournemouth away.

Yes he’s not a game changer but he’s been a good squad player this season. Of course I’m not saying we have gotten value for money at all.

Baldock less so...but he’s barely had a sniff when coming on in the 87th min.

With a fully fit squad, we would have had decent options off the bench.

But:
1) We’ve invested in injury-prone players...so that approach need a review
2) for several seasons now since relegation from the Prem, we’ve picked up lots of injuries which indicates an issue with our back room staff. I’m sure they’ve changed though with different managers?
3) Covid...naturally clubs have picked up more injuries

So to address that...yes we need to increase overall squad size by 2-3 but that’s going to require selling on assets such as Olise so we can purchase less injury-prone players

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Apr 2021 08:47

The main reason was the fact that we lost several key players, either to transfers or injuries. Al Habsi, Kermorgant, McCleary, Obita to an extent (although we had good cover), as well as Beerens’ homesickness.

We’re very likely to lose Joao if we don’t go up - it is rare for someone who scores 20 goals in the Championship to still be in the division the following season - and even if we don’t, we might not be so lucky with his injuries.

We can probably cope with losing Olise if Ejaria, Swift and Meite are fit all season.

Our only left back options with Richards going are McIntyre and Yiadom.

With those two sales and the loss of ooc players and loanees, we would have 12-15 senior players depending on if you count the likes of Southwood, Araruna, and Tetek.

Now the difference is that we should get a combined £20m+ for Joao and Olise, and that should be enough to sign a reasonable left back, a striker, and perhaps a winger. We could spend £2m on a left back, £3m on a winger and £5m on a striker and bank the rest or put it towards some cheaper squad options. That being said, our recruitment hasn’t been particularly good in recent years. There’s a pretty good chance that we’ll replace Baldock and Aluko with players who fill exactly the same roles.

All this being said, I am still cautiously optimistic about making the playoffs and I think good things could still happen next year.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Apr 2021 09:08

Even with fees for a couple, we won't be shelling out much this summer. Think we will see players like Besic and Harris targeted.

Any fees will likely be used to cover wages. We may pay out a couple of small fees, if we can identify a bargain and we are allowed to pay one.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2021 09:46

From a value perspective you'd probably sell Joao and Olise. Though I doubt anyone would pay what it takes for Joao after his dip in form.

From a wage bill perspective you'd want to sell Moore and Swift.

From a team contribution perspective you'd probably sell Ejaria and Swift. Swift because his injury record is appalling and Ejaria because he slows down everything and simply doesn't deliver nearly enough end product. Probably Yiadom as well given his recent injury record.

The good news is, if we can sort some contracts, we have a great young spine of not hugely flashy and attractive players in Holmes, McIntyre, Laurent and Rinomhota. None of which are likely to be on stupid wages either.

Shifting Moore, Aluko, Baldock and Swift would probably knock at least £5m off the wage budget. Which just shows you how much we've been overspending that that's probably only half what we need, even after losing Gunter, McCleary, Obita and Blackett last season... probably another £3m there.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Apr 2021 10:08

Hound
URZZZZZZZZ
Hendo

We just went on a big spending spree with players on long contracts who weren’t good enough to get us up. Plus losing the spine

The financial restrictions will possibly almost assist us in that it won’t happen again this time round - we’re almost forced to trust the younger lads which is probably a blessing

Really need to sort those contracts out mind you - Tetek, Holmes, Rino, Tom Mc, Laurent should all be being sorted new deals out

Need to add Morrison and Southwood to that list. I feel Tetek deserved more of a chance this season. If our play off chances are over in a couple of games time then I hope he gets a start. Southwood too. Pauno surely needs to have a look at them.

262 posts