Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

262 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Apr 2021 10:24

Looking at the OOC list that was posted on here a couple of months ago.

Keep

Ethan Bristow
Ryan East
Tom McIntyre
Michael Morrison
Thierry Nevers
Jayden Onen
Oliver Pendlebury
Dejan Tetek

Release

Sone Aluko
Sam Baldock
Omar Richards
Sam Smith
Luke Southwood
Sam Walker
Tennai Watson

Southwood is 23 and bar 15 games in the SPL has no league experience. For his sake, I dont see what future he has here. Andresson has done well in League 2 this season and is 4 years younger.

I think Olise is gone and I wouldn't be averse to seeing one of Joao or Puscas go. I'd be more than happy to keep them both but it could fund signings elsewhere in the squad.

I'd like to see us bring in 4 players.

LB is a must

A wide attacking midfielder/winger as an option off the bench (Harris maybe?)

Another box to box midfielder, basically a better version of Semedo. (Besic maybe?)

A Shane Long type forward on loan, not necessarily a primary goalscorer but someone who will be a right pain in the arse for defences.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 18 Apr 2021 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Apr 2021 10:26

From Despair To Where? Looking at the OOC list that was posted on here a couple of months ago.

Keep

Ethan Bristow
Ryan East
Tom McIntyre
Michael Morrison
Thierry Nevers
Jayden Onen
Oliver Pendlebury
Dejan Tetek

Release

Sone Aluko
Sam Baldock
Omar Richards
Sam Smith
Luke Southwood
Sam Walker
Tennai Watson

I think Olise is gone and I wouldn't be averse to seeing one of Joao or Puscas go. I'd be more than happy to keep them both but it could fund signings elsewhere in the squad.

I'd like to see us bring in 4 players.

LB is a must

A wide attacking midfielder/winger as an option off the bench (Harris maybe?)

Another box to box midfielder, basically a better version of Semedo. (Besic maybe?)

A Shane Long type forward on loan, not necessarily a primary goalscorer but someone who will be a right pain in the arse for defences.

Substitute keeping Southwood for East and I would agree.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Apr 2021 10:30

I just edited my post but I'll reiterate. Southwood is 23 and has 15 games for Hamilton under his belt.

Andresson is 19 and has 26 games in League 2 this season.

I dont think Southwood would want to waste another year sitting on the bench and however small his wage may be relatively, I dont think we can afford to do it either.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Apr 2021 11:05

I think we should be releasing both Southwood and East.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2021 11:17

I think we should be playing Southwood to see how he performs.

I also don't really see releasing him as a solution. We need a No. 2. It's unlikely to be Andresson. Anyone we sign to be No 2 is going to be more expensive than Southwood and probably not a lot better. Plus they'd then be there blocking Andresson and Boyce in future. And oxf*rd loaning a PL kid after Virginia.

If Southwood plays and doesn't look up to it fair enough. But if he looks good as I think he may well do, then he can push Cabral.

As for East, it's very clear we've been marking time until his contract is up and there's zero chance of him being renewed. I though he showed enough promise to warrant more use, but he's clearly far behind Tetek and just needs to move on.

Otherwise, mostly agree.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 18 Apr 2021 11:49

Southwood becomes a better and better player every time I see his name on here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2021 12:12

Orion1871 Southwood becomes a better and better player every time I see his name on here.

Think you've got the wrong player there Orion. He's no, Popa must start to save our season.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Apr 2021 12:44

Snowflake Royal I think we should be playing Southwood to see how he performs.

I also don't really see releasing him as a solution. We need a No. 2. It's unlikely to be Andresson. Anyone we sign to be No 2 is going to be more expensive than Southwood and probably not a lot better. Plus they'd then be there blocking Andresson and Boyce in future. And oxf*rd loaning a PL kid after Virginia.

If Southwood plays and doesn't look up to it fair enough. But if he looks good as I think he may well do, then he can push Cabral.

As for East, it's very clear we've been marking time until his contract is up and there's zero chance of him being renewed. I though he showed enough promise to warrant more use, but he's clearly far behind Tetek and just needs to move on.

Otherwise, mostly agree.

I don't see why it can't be Andresson when he's got more League football under his belt than Southwood and I'd 4 years younger than him. Southwood only got a year extention last summer. I don't think he'd sign another contract with us. At 23, he needs to be establishing himself somewhere. Barring a major injury to Rafael, he won't get that here.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Apr 2021 13:28

From Despair To Where?

Otherwise, mostly agree.

I don't see why it can't be Andresson when he's got more League football under his belt than Southwood and I'd 4 years younger than him. Southwood only got a year extention last summer. I don't think he'd sign another contract with us. At 23, he needs to be establishing himself somewhere. Barring a major injury to Rafael, he won't get that here.

Exactly how I see it, Andresson can step up and be our #2, he's already done very good at the top end of League Two and then CBC can be our 3rd choice, we already had too many keepers on the books anyway.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2021 13:28

From Despair To Where?

Otherwise, mostly agree.

Well for a start there's a substantial difference between the Scots Premier League and League 2, even if you don't rate Scottish football. Southwood also has a season of experience at Eastleigh, one level below L2. And has been training with the First Team all season and made cup appearances.

I don't think one season at L2 for a not yet 20 year old is enough experience to be trusted as a Championship No 2 to an aging keeper who has already had a wobble or two.

As I said though, the point is give him a couple of games now to see how he adapts and make your decision from there.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Apr 2021 13:35

And my point was that, at 23, there's a good chance Southwood won't want to warm the bench for another year, and when we are looking to reduce costs wherever we can, it seems pointless keeping 4 keepers on the books.

It's funny how a season on loan in League 2 isn't enough experience, but a season at a lower level and 15 games in the SPL is. I'd say it's about even.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Apr 2021 13:54

Good shot stopper but Rafael’s distribution is terrible, he doesn’t dominate his area enough, rarely comes to catch crosses....

Even if they are not as good at shot stopping, if they are clearly better at the other 3 facets then one of Southwood or Andresson (or maybe even Boyce) should be given an opportunity imo.

Joao’s stock will still be high after his amazing exploits a few months ago so I suspect some club out there would be mug enough to fork out £10m for him - if so rip their hands off. Out of form he is a liability. Consistency is key to getting out of this league not bursts of brilliant form.

With Olise presumably on his way and Swift’s injury record a playmaker is vital. Rinomhota and Laurent do not have killer balls in their locker.

Ejaria has the killer ball but we really need him to deliver earlier and play with his head and eyes a bit more, not just rely on those brilliant feet.

And wingers, we need proper pacey wingers!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Apr 2021 14:11

Royal Rother Good shot stopper but Rafael’s distribution is terrible, he doesn’t dominate his area enough, rarely comes to catch crosses....

Even if they are not as good at shot stopping, if they are clearly better at the other 3 facets then one of Southwood or Andresson (or maybe even Boyce) should be given an opportunity imo.

Joao’s stock will still be high after his amazing exploits a few months ago so I suspect some club out there would be mug enough to fork out £10m for him - if so rip their hands off. Out of form he is a liability. Consistency is key to getting out of this league not bursts of brilliant form.

With Olise presumably on his way and Swift’s injury record a playmaker is vital. Rinomhota and Laurent do not have killer balls in their locker.

Ejaria has the killer ball but we really need him to deliver earlier and play with his head and eyes a bit more, not just rely on those brilliant feet.

And wingers, we need proper pacey wingers!

Yep agree with much of this. I wouldn’t be bothered if we sold Rafael. He’s decent but I think Southwood and or Andresson can step up, I’m not convinced though anyone will come in for Joao.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Apr 2021 15:25

No PL club will go for Joao unless one of the promoted clubs fancy him as an option.

Possible one of the big 3 in Portugal may be interested but I think Joao will play a key part here next year.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2021 16:38

From Despair To Where? And my point was that, at 23, there's a good chance Southwood won't want to warm the bench for another year, and when we are looking to reduce costs wherever we can, it seems pointless keeping 4 keepers on the books.

It's funny how a season on loan in League 2 isn't enough experience, but a season at a lower level and 15 games in the SPL is. I'd say it's about even.

Whether he accepts or not is up to him.

If you think a season in L2 is equivalent or better to games in the SPL then there's no point talking.

I don't think there's any chance we start next season with Andresson as No 2 regardless of what happens to Southwood.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Apr 2021 17:47

Zip
Hound
URZZZZZZZZ
Also, one of the more significant reasons we went off the boil in Stam’s second season was the arrival of Gourlay.

We just went on a big spending spree with players on long contracts who weren’t good enough to get us up. Plus losing the spine

The financial restrictions will possibly almost assist us in that it won’t happen again this time round - we’re almost forced to trust the younger lads which is probably a blessing

Really need to sort those contracts out mind you - Tetek, Holmes, Rino, Tom Mc, Laurent should all be being sorted new deals out

Need to add Morrison and Southwood to that list. I feel Tetek deserved more of a chance this season. If our play off chances are over in a couple of games time then I hope he gets a start. Southwood too. Pauno surely needs to have a look at them.

He's probably had a good look at them in training

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Apr 2021 17:59

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? And my point was that, at 23, there's a good chance Southwood won't want to warm the bench for another year, and when we are looking to reduce costs wherever we can, it seems pointless keeping 4 keepers on the books.

If you think a season in L2 is equivalent or better to games in the SPL then there's no point talking.

I don't think there's any chance we start next season with Andresson as No 2 regardless of what happens to Southwood.

I think Southwood will sign for another year although he definitely needs a good run out in the cups. If Rafael goes we'll sign another keeper.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Apr 2021 18:05

Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal

I think Southwood will sign for another year although he definitely needs a good run out in the cups. If Rafael goes we'll sign another keeper.

I wouldn’t want to sign another keeper. Southwood to 1 and Andresson to 2.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2021 18:07

If Cabral goes I think we have to sign a new one. But unless his contract is up and I missed that, I don't see him going anywhere.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Apr 2021 18:11

I'm with Ian on this one. We need an experienced head in there. Even if Southwood became our number 1. 2 young keepers is risky.

262 posts