MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h)

336 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h)

by SCIAG » 17 Apr 2021 16:50

John Madejski's Wallet
Winston Biscuit been sh*t for a few years and now we look like finishing 7th people are all 'grrrr get Pauny out!'

where's your heads at?!

Aside from the great new manager bounce run we went on, has anything about the season since felt any different to any of the others we've struggled in?

Pedestrian, lack of plan B, inability to change a game.

Of course we shouldn't get rid of Pauno, but I feel sure next season will be a return to tedious struggle and going with a whimper in many games

Agree, aside from all the games we have won we have barely won a game.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 17 Apr 2021 17:09

SCIAG
John Madejski's Wallet
Winston Biscuit been sh*t for a few years and now we look like finishing 7th people are all 'grrrr get Pauny out!'

where's your heads at?!

Aside from the great new manager bounce run we went on, has anything about the season since felt any different to any of the others we've struggled in?

Of course we shouldn't get rid of Pauno, but I feel sure next season will be a return to tedious struggle and going with a whimper in many games

Just trying to look past the new manger bounce is all. Everything since has just been a regression to the mean.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2021 17:41

John Madejski's Wallet
SCIAG
John Madejski's Wallet Aside from the great new manager bounce run we went on, has anything about the season since felt any different to any of the others we've struggled in?

Just trying to look past the new manger bounce is all. Everything since has just been a regression to the mean.

To a degree, I see where you are coming from but if we drop the bounce and that immediate 4 game correction, then we have taken 45pts from 30 games. That's a 69 pt season so definitely progression and that form also puts us roughly where we are likely to end up points wise (hopefully with a few extra on top).

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 17 Apr 2021 17:53

Progress has definately been made.

We have a smaller more close-knit squad, which Morrison admitted was the case.

We’ve seen the emergence of Holmes & McIntyre as good players at this level.

Seen a great CM partnership build in Laurent & Rino.

What we now need to do is probably sell Olise for as much as we can, and reinvest that in some wide men, if finances allow

All is not lost

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Apr 2021 08:49

John Madejski's Wallet
SCIAG
John Madejski's Wallet Aside from the great new manager bounce run we went on, has anything about the season since felt any different to any of the others we've struggled in?

We’ve played a lot of good stuff after that run. Mostly due to Joao’s ability to get a goal from anywhere, but we’re well above where we were under Bowen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2021 09:51

We'll find out next season really won't we.

Pauno isn't the all conquering genius we were all told he was at the start of the season. Bowen wasn't the deadbeat charlatan many of the same claimed.

At the moment we're a bit reliant on individuals playing well, but when they don't we're rather lame as a team.

When Joao, Ejaria and Olise play well we're different class. Even if only one of them does, we're play off material. But when they all stutter, so do we.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Apr 2021 10:18

SCIAG
John Madejski's Wallet
SCIAG Agree, aside from all the games we have won we have barely won a game.

We’ve played a lot of good stuff after that run. Mostly due to Joao’s ability to get a goal from anywhere, but we’re well above where we were under Bowen.

I don’t agree. Take a look at our performances and results in 2021 and tell me this is well above where we were under Bowen. We have improved. It’s a modest improvement though.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Apr 2021 10:18

Snowflake Royal We'll find out next season really won't we.

Pauno isn't the all conquering genius we were all told he was at the start of the season. Bowen wasn't the deadbeat charlatan many of the same claimed.

At the moment we're a bit reliant on individuals playing well, but when they don't we're rather lame as a team.

When Joao, Ejaria and Olise play well we're different class. Even if only one of them does, we're play off material. But when they all stutter, so do we.

Yeah agreed.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Apr 2021 11:44

Zip

Yeah agreed.

No shit Sherlock.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Apr 2021 21:35

Zip
SCIAG
John Madejski's Wallet Just trying to look past the new manger bounce is all. Everything since has just been a regression to the mean.

I don’t agree. Take a look at our performances and results in 2021 and tell me this is well above where we were under Bowen. We have improved. It’s a modest improvement though.

In 2021, we have taken 30pts from 20 games - a 69pt season if continued. Usually good enough to finish 7th or 8th.

That is on track for an 11point improvement on Bowen, just in 2021 where the feeling is we've been a bit pants. That, to me at least, is more than modest.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Apr 2021 00:05

Stranded
Zip
SCIAG We’ve played a lot of good stuff after that run. Mostly due to Joao’s ability to get a goal from anywhere, but we’re well above where we were under Bowen.

In 2021, we have taken 30pts from 20 games - a 69pt season if continued. Usually good enough to finish 7th or 8th.

That is on track for an 11point improvement on Bowen, just in 2021 where the feeling is we've been a bit pants. That, to me at least, is more than modest.

And more importantly to me, before each game this season, I actually believe we can play really well and we can beat anyone on our day. I haven't felt like that for years. So yes we're improving imo.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Apr 2021 05:50

bcubed
Stranded
Zip

And more importantly to me, before each game this season, I actually believe we can play really well and we can beat anyone on our day. I haven't felt like that for years. So yes we're improving imo.

Good point.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Apr 2021 09:26

Dreary me.

Pauno has been excellent in his first season, Bowen did a job but by and large was awful

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 Apr 2021 09:53

paultheroyal

Dreary me.

Pauno has been excellent in his first season, Bowen did a job but by and large was awful

This looks like an anti-Ian post rather than a true reflection of the season... Some of the points above are perfectly valid:

Has Pauno really been excellent? He certainly has his critics and some of the points they make are valid - poor substitutions, losing so-called easy games, points return isn't that much better than Bowen, when we desperately needed to win we haven't. Keeping Joao on penalties.

Was Bowen really that awful? He wasn't in the relegation battle that previous managers had been in. He is credited with bringing in some of this season's best players (Morrison, Laurent). Was his work last season the reason for our amazing start?

Is Reading a team or are we a set of individual players with their own agendas? When the going has got tough who has put the extra effort in - sometimes I think they don't realise that a place in the Premier League is at stake and they just pass it about slowly (as that what they're good at) whereas other teams flood forwards and attack at pace. Is this due to the skills of the personnel we have/don't have, the training or the mentality? Do players know they are off at the end of the season so don't care about Reading the team?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Apr 2021 10:03

morganb
paultheroyal

Dreary me.

This looks like an anti-Ian post rather than a true reflection of the season... Some of the points above are perfectly valid:

Has Pauno really been excellent? He certainly has his critics and some of the points they make are valid - poor substitutions, losing so-called easy games, points return isn't that much better than Bowen, when we desperately needed to win we haven't. Keeping Joao on penalties.

Was Bowen really that awful? He wasn't in the relegation battle that previous managers had been in. He is credited with bringing in some of this season's best players (Morrison, Laurent). Was his work last season the reason for our amazing start?

Is Reading a team or are we a set of individual players with their own agendas? When the going has got tough who has put the extra effort in - sometimes I think they don't realise that a place in the Premier League is at stake and they just pass it about slowly (as that what they're good at) whereas other teams flood forwards and attack at pace. Is this due to the skills of the personnel we have/don't have, the training or the mentality? Do players know they are off at the end of the season so don't care about Reading the team?

Lets just keep this simple.

Has the league position improved? YES
Is the football of a better quality? YES
Have we seen more emergence of the younger players? YES
Did you really expect us to be in the play offs come this appointment a week before the season? NO
Has the fans had something to cheer, support, hope during this season compared to others? YES
Is this an anti Ian post? NO

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Apr 2021 10:04

bcubed
Stranded
Zip

We are improving. That’s not in dispute. We have improved under Bowen too. I’m just not convinced the improvement under Pauno is as substantive as suggested. See Morgan’s post.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Apr 2021 10:07

paultheroyal
morganb
paultheroyal
Dreary me.

Did you really expect us to be in the play offs come this appointment a week before the season? NO
Has the fans had something to cheer, support, hope during this season compared to others? YES

that is true but Bowen took on a massive shambles

Is the improvement from Gomes to Bowen bigger than it was from Bowen - Pauno?

thats a better question, and inconclusive imo

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Apr 2021 10:09

paultheroyal
morganb
paultheroyal
Dreary me.

Can't argue with any of that.

Except maybe the last point. Who is this Ian you speak of?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Apr 2021 10:20

Zip
bcubed
Stranded

We are improving. That’s not in dispute. We have improved under Bowen too. I’m just not convinced the improvement under Pauno is as substantive as suggested. See Morgan’s post.

But by virtually any measure it has been i.e. if you look at thing that are substantive and not objective. He is certainly not perfect and has lots to learn but regardless of what the next 4 games bring, he was created an excellent platform to try and do so next year.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Apr 2021 10:37

Stranded
Zip
bcubed

But by virtually any measure it has been i.e. if you look at thing that are substantive and not objective. He is certainly not perfect and has lots to learn but regardless of what the next 4 games bring, he was created an excellent platform to try and do so next year.

There is no doubt my judgement has been clouded by the fact we didn’t kick on after such a great start to the season. So I am being perhaps harder on him than is fair. I also felt Bowen was very poorly treated and isn’t given any credit at all for building a base from which we were able to progress.

336 posts