Finances

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Finances

by karbota » 15 Apr 2021 23:00

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Doesn't he have a min release clause of £8mill though? (source: HNA)

If he did he'd be long gone.

Shouldn't that read (source: some thick, over exciteable twat at The Yorkshire Post)?

O dear, you mean excitable?.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Apr 2021 23:14

Well thank you for your grammar lesson.
Again, I am grateful for your concern,
Not withstanding I was using my phone.
Knowing I sometimes make spelling errors
Evidently means that I appreciate
Regular updates when I get it wrong.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 15 Apr 2021 23:16

I do sometimes wish we had sensible owners that were wealthy enough to run the club but not so wealthy we don’t spend to this level of insane. Blame Gourlay all we like, they allowed this to happen, spending 16m in 19/20 just shows that. I love the fact someone wants to spend millions on my local club, but please be sensible with it.

Restructure our wages, go develop these Michael Olise’s or sign those Ovie Ejaria’s/Josh Laurent’s. Those players have taken us to a new level more quickly than most of our big money signings. And most of all, don’t repeat the mistake we made with Danny Loader.

Sort this bit out and we’ll be fine. With contracts expiring we’ve got a great opportunity to do it.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Apr 2021 09:21

TiagoIlori I do sometimes wish we had sensible owners that were wealthy enough to run the club but not so wealthy we don’t spend to this level of insane. Blame Gourlay all we like, they allowed this to happen, spending 16m in 19/20 just shows that. I love the fact someone wants to spend millions on my local club, but please be sensible with it.

Restructure our wages, go develop these Michael Olise’s or sign those Ovie Ejaria’s/Josh Laurent’s. Those players have taken us to a new level more quickly than most of our big money signings. And most of all, don’t repeat the mistake we made with Danny Loader.

Sort this bit out and we’ll be fine. With contracts expiring we’ve got a great opportunity to do it.

Wasn’t Joao one of the big money signings? Without him we’d be nowhere this season. We can’t always rely on finding Doyles and Kitsons. But we should try of course.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2021 09:46

Millsy
TiagoIlori I do sometimes wish we had sensible owners that were wealthy enough to run the club but not so wealthy we don’t spend to this level of insane. Blame Gourlay all we like, they allowed this to happen, spending 16m in 19/20 just shows that. I love the fact someone wants to spend millions on my local club, but please be sensible with it.

Wasn’t Joao one of the big money signings? Without him we’d be nowhere this season. We can’t always rely on finding Doyles and Kitsons. But we should try of course.

I've no issue with what we have done since Gourlay did one.

The signings we've made - Ovie, Puscas and Joao - appear to have been sensibly structured, not on a huge wage, and with decent re-sell value. We'd likely make back what we spent + a decent percentage on all of them

We've found a freebie gem in Laurent, made useful loan signings and a sensible free experienced head in Morrison. Promoted well from within - Holmes, Olise, McIntyre and Richards have all made excellent contributions, cost us nothing bar a low wage, and all added huge amounts to their own value.

We're still being hit hard by those contracts to McCleary, Gunter and co in the accounts just published, and will be with Moore, Swift, Baldock and ALuko this year. But the should ease and we're left with a youngish squad, not on ridiculous wage with a lot of value to it.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 16 Apr 2021 11:28

Millsy

The key word here is most. Weve made four signings that can go up to 5m and over since the takeover. Baldock, Puscas, Joao, Aluko. Joao is the only one that has been even close to justifying his fee. Baldock and Aluko were horror signings. Puscas has done okay but simply hasn’t justified the fee we paid.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Apr 2021 11:35

Yeah that summer business in August 19 although exciting was also very expensive and we can’t blame Gourlay for that. Just a point on Ejaria. He did cost around £3.5 million so was in my mind a big money signing.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 16 Apr 2021 11:40

Hound
Millsy

I've no issue with what we have done since Gourlay did one.

The signings we've made - Ovie, Puscas and Joao - appear to have been sensibly structured, not on a huge wage, and with decent re-sell value. We'd likely make back what we spent + a decent percentage on all of them

We've found a freebie gem in Laurent, made useful loan signings and a sensible free experienced head in Morrison. Promoted well from within - Holmes, Olise, McIntyre and Richards have all made excellent contributions, cost us nothing bar a low wage, and all added huge amounts to their own value.

We're still being hit hard by those contracts to McCleary, Gunter and co in the accounts just published, and will be with Moore, Swift, Baldock and ALuko this year. But the should ease and we're left with a youngish squad, not on ridiculous wage with a lot of value to it.

Puscas and Joao took up most of the 16m paid, money that FFP stops us from having. Considering we were in a soft transfer embargo it’s pretty ludicrous we decided to spend that much in one go. We won’t get anywhere near the fee we paid for Puscas at current rate, although I would expect a profit on Ovie and Joao.

Take out the players we released its only 5m, reduces losses to 38m. Take out the transfer fees it’s 22m. It’s still not sustainable FFP wise, we can only lose 39m over three months. Covid although will have an impact is unlikely to explain why we lost 9m more than we should on average for last season at least.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 16 Apr 2021 11:45

Zip

Yeah that summer business in August 19 although exciting was also very expensive and we can’t blame Gourlay for that. Just a point on Ejaria. He did cost around £3.5 million so was in my mind a big money signing.

In my opinion 3.5m is fairly standard these days in the championship, 5m is when I personally start to go well this lad has cost us a lot. One thing that goes into Ovie’s favour is that most of the opposition fans were going on about how much of a bargain that was. That’s sort of what I meant by putting Laurent and Ejaria in the same category- bargains.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2021 11:56

We’d get back what we’ve paid for Puscas I imagine. And his scoring rate has been decent enough. About par for the money I’d say

There’s always risk to any signing and the Puscas signing was a fair balance of risk and reward

In other circumstances rather than COVID Joao could prob command a fee that would cover his and Puscas’ signings, likewise Ovie

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Apr 2021 12:03

Hound We’d get back what we’ve paid for Puscas I imagine. And his scoring rate has been decent enough. About par for the money I’d say

There’s always risk to any signing and the Puscas signing was a fair balance of risk and reward

In other circumstances rather than COVID Joao could prob command a fee that would cover his and Puscas’ signings, likewise Ovie

All three were perfectly good signings. Whether we should have signed them given our precarious position regarding FFP is another question.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2021 13:47

Zip
Hound We’d get back what we’ve paid for Puscas I imagine. And his scoring rate has been decent enough. About par for the money I’d say

All three were perfectly good signings. Whether we should have signed them given our precarious position regarding FFP is another question.

Yeah tbh I don’t know enough to comment really. But guessing the league signed it off and the owners have the money

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Apr 2021 15:45

Those signings would only hit top levels if the players and club perform. We won’t be paying the big add ins based on promotion and Aluko and Baldock won’t be generating appearance based extras.
If the fees are based on paying out if we get promoted then they are affordable

Interested to know what mistake we made with Loader. We walked away from a bad deal.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 16 Apr 2021 16:03

Post after post talks about signings being expensive. Its not the transfer fees paid that is hurting us.

Our wages are 211% of our revenue. Think of all the money we get in total. Double it. That is how much we are spending on wages.

The transfer fees are secondary, and can be stopped quite quickly.

You can't quite quickly stop wages.

Many people saying we will make a profit on Ejaria. From who? He isnt going to be signed by a PL team. He's not good enough. A fellow championship team is unlikley to be giving us £5m for a player who when all is said and done, looks pretty on the ball, but contributes maybe an assist or goal every other game.

All championship clubs are struggling financially.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2021 17:32

Greatwesternline Post after post talks about signings being expensive. Its not the transfer fees paid that is hurting us.

Our wages are 211% of our revenue. Think of all the money we get in total. Double it. That is how much we are spending on wages.

Many people saying we will make a profit on Ejaria. From who? He isnt going to be signed by a PL team. He's not good enough. A fellow championship team is unlikley to be giving us £5m for a player who when all is said and done, looks pretty on the ball, but contributes maybe an assist or goal every other game.

If only it were every other game.

Agree on the wages though. Which is why Puscas and Joao don't worry me too much. The fees are likely to be structured and based on triggers.

They're not likely to be big big wages.

We're moving in the right direction. Just much slower than I'd like. If we move on Moore this summer, that's pretty much the last of the crazy deals. Maybe Swift as the next highest earner, but probably a good £5k - £10k a week less.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Apr 2021 17:52

Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline Post after post talks about signings being expensive. Its not the transfer fees paid that is hurting us.

If only it were every other game.

Agree on the wages though. Which is why Puscas and Joao don't worry me too much. The fees are likely to be structured and based on triggers.

They're not likely to be big big wages.

We're moving in the right direction. Just much slower than I'd like. If we move on Moore this summer, that's pretty much the last of the crazy deals. Maybe Swift as the next highest earner, but probably a good £5k - £10k a week less.

It’s going to be difficult to shift Moore. He is on very high wages and under contract for another couple of years. That rules out Championship clubs. Would a PL team come in for him? I’m not convinced.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2021 18:17

A relegated side, perennial strugglers or a newly promoted side maybe.

I imagine his stock has risen a bit again with our improvement.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2021 18:58

He might consider a 3-4 year deal on less wages somewhere else now

Ovie is a very good all round champ midfielder. Sometimes focus too much on assists/goals - more to him than that

If we put him up for sale at 3.6m half the division would be keen to sign him

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Apr 2021 19:02

Snowflake Royal A relegated side, perennial strugglers or a newly promoted side maybe

perfect signing for Barnsley if they go up, and its closer to home for him

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Apr 2021 19:03

Hound He might consider a 3-4 year deal on less wages somewhere else now

Ovie is a very good all round champ midfielder. Sometimes focus too much on assists/goals - more to him than that

If we put him up for sale at 3.6m half the division would be keen to sign him

I think he’s worth more than that!!