Finances

108 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Finances

by Millsy » 14 Apr 2021 09:31

I caught a short burst of BBCRB with Dellor going about v poor RFC finances, and how we may be docked points so may not make playoffs anyway, but unlikely we'll get relegated, or it may happen next season etc etc etc....

I caught just enough of it to panic, but not enough to get the whole story.

wtf?

(mods feel free to move into an existing dedicated thread, I couldn't find one, might be blind)

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Finances

by Norfolk Royal » 14 Apr 2021 09:40

Not entirely sure of the context of this that has just been posted on twitter, no doubt others will have a better take on it./

But i'm guessing it is not that great.

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/statu ... 7839509506

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 14 Apr 2021 09:53

During various live commentaries Sky TV commentators have repeatedly said that the owners had made it clear RFC must be promoted this season - or words to that effect. Maybe there is some truth in this as we either get promoted, or else will be subject to significant points penalties next season and forced to sell all our best payers - which will virtually guarantee relegation to League 1.

If that happens I wonder if the owners will stick around or cut their losses?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Apr 2021 09:56

3 big points for me:

1) We have surely breached FFP now? I know not all losses count (e.g. academy running costs), but we have c.£85m operating losses over 2 years. I don't see how we can be within the limits.

2) These are for 19/20 season, so still have a lot of big wages for the likes of Gunter and McCleary involved. As will 20/21 for Baldock and Aluko. But I'm expecting to see the wage bill come down in the next few sets of accounts.

3) Gourlay is a oxf*rd.

Edit:

4) If we can get £15m - £20m for Olise, there is only 1 decision we can make.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 14 Apr 2021 10:28

The Championship is a truly bonkers league, our spending isn't even particularly high for a club going for promotion - I think our average salary is probably still outside the top 6 this season.

It puts things into perspective. The only way of getting promoted is to 1. Constantly spend high amounts of money and find a way to 'balance the books' before getting promoted; or 2. Sheer luck through getting the right combination of managers/cheap players for a season or two.

£226m losses is crazy though given our poor record overall. Maybe our policy of hiring a new, untested manager every season needs a rethink.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Apr 2021 10:38

Elm Park Kid The Championship is a truly bonkers league, our spending isn't even particularly high for a club going for promotion - I think our average salary is probably still outside the top 6 this season.

It puts things into perspective. The only way of getting promoted is to 1. Constantly spend high amounts of money and find a way to 'balance the books' before getting promoted; or 2. Sheer luck through getting the right combination of managers/cheap players for a season or two.

£226m losses is crazy though given our poor record overall. Maybe our policy of hiring a new, untested manager every season needs a rethink.

Getting a combination of the right manager and cheap players is most definitely not luck.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Apr 2021 10:50

It doesn't look pretty but I have faith the club are heading the right direction with the finances, they could certainly prove that by selling Olise in the Summer if a big bid comes in especially considering he is basically in a similar situation to Loader when we rejected that Wolves bid, albeit being a more sought after property and more money involved.

But seriously, as with every post about our financial situation they should always end with: oxf*rd Ron Gourlay.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Apr 2021 11:46

tidus_mi2 It doesn't look pretty but I have faith the club are heading the right direction with the finances, they could certainly prove that by selling Olise in the Summer if a big bid comes in especially considering he is basically in a similar situation to Loader when we rejected that Wolves bid, albeit being a more sought after property and more money involved.

But seriously, as with every post about our financial situation they should always end with: oxf*rd Ron Gourlay.

Doesn't he have a min release clause of £8mill though? (source: HNA)

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 14 Apr 2021 12:00

Millsy
tidus_mi2 It doesn't look pretty but I have faith the club are heading the right direction with the finances, they could certainly prove that by selling Olise in the Summer if a big bid comes in especially considering he is basically in a similar situation to Loader when we rejected that Wolves bid, albeit being a more sought after property and more money involved.

Even at 8 million take the money, sign the Swindon player Twine. Give Morrison another year contract, get mcintyre and the youth talent signed uptown 3 year contracts pocket the 5 million and go again. Even without Olise we are good enough to survive next season with a points deduction.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2021 12:25

If we're genuinely in trouble the FL need to take a long hard look at themselves.

We were in a soft transfer embargo two summers ago and came out of it with permission to sign Puscas and Joao for big money.

They allowed us to turn down big money offers for Swift and Loader.

We were in a soft embargo last summer and only really signed Laurent for this season.

We've also moved on McCleary and Gunter. And Baldock and Aluko go at the end of this season. Plus lots more TV money in.

The wages are an absolute disgrace, but they have to have come down this season and again next.

The lack of signings and whole approach has given no signs of desperation for promotion or bust, maybe Bowen's sacking, but replacing him with an unknown with no local experience is hardly promotion or bust.

We now know that our transfer embargo just announced was at least partly down to the filing of accounts, as they've just been published, and could therefore just be the same sort of Admin thing as other clubs.

Not concerned at this point.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2021 12:27

Millsy

If he did he'd be long gone.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Apr 2021 12:36

Snowflake Royal
Millsy

Shouldn't that read (source: some thick, over exciteable twat at The Yorkshire Post)?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Apr 2021 12:37

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

Shouldn't that read (source: some thick, over exciteable twat at The Yorkshire Post that plays too much Football Manager)?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Apr 2021 12:50

I look forward to the usual insightful analysis from Star

Some points
- as long as the debt remains purely in house it’s not a worry in terms of the future of the club.It’s owning money to outsiders that kills you.
- agree that for 2 years we have been doing what we can to put things on a more ‘acceptable’ footing by cutting numbers and especially not handing out crazy deals
- Punishing FFP breaches during a time when incomes have been hit would seem counter productive, unless clubs have been actively reckless in terms of spending (I know the accounts only cover part of the pandemic era)
- talk of the owners ‘walking away’ is ridiculous. They may decide now is the time to cash in on some assets, and all clubs do that and always have done, there seems little sign they would try and sell the club in what would be a very tricky market.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2021 12:56

The thing that's important to remember, is that none of this should be a surprise to the club or authorities.

And a club who sack their CEO and cooperated with soft embargos should not be punished for the effects of the sacked CEO's tenure 2 years after he was sacked.

There's very little we could have done differently. Sold a couple of players, not signed a couple. That's literally it. In two years. Once the damage was done under Gourlay.

One thing I think is apparent though. We should do absolutely everything, including accepting bids of £0, to move Moore off the wages. He's the last of the crazy deals, and arguably the craziest.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Apr 2021 12:59

Snowflake Royal The thing that's important to remember, is that none of this should be a surprise to the club or authorities.

And a club who sack their CEO and cooperated with soft embargos should not be punished for the effects of the sacked CEO's tenure 2 years after he was sacked.

There's very little we could have done differently. Sold a couple of players, not signed a couple. That's literally it. In two years.

FFP is likely to bite the dust soon or be reworked I would imagine, UEFA have acted first, I'd imagine the EPL will follow and the EFL would probably drag it's heels but eventually join in.
One thing I think is apparent though. We should do absolutely everything, including accepting bids of £0, to move Moore off the wages. He's the last of the crazy deals, and arguably the craziest.

Yep, love Moore, love his attitude and I think he's a great captain but unless he agrees a significant wage drop, the club should look to sell if they get an offer really.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Apr 2021 13:15

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal The thing that's important to remember, is that none of this should be a surprise to the club or authorities.

There's very little we could have done differently. Sold a couple of players, not signed a couple. That's literally it. In two years.

FFP is likely to bite the dust soon or be reworked I would imagine, UEFA have acted first, I'd imagine the EPL will follow and the EFL would probably drag it's heels but eventually join in.

Yep, love Moore, love his attitude and I think he's a great captain but unless he agrees a significant wage drop, the club should look to sell if they get an offer really.

In terms of poor decisions, turning down £10m for Moore and giving him unsustainable wages is right up there. Good player but not irreplaceable.

I'm not sure how the EFL sanctioned the Puscas and Joao deals. At the same time, they apparently have made it difficult to offer new contracts and are a big reason why we're losing Richards for free. Seems totally illogical.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 14 Apr 2021 13:21

Snowflake Royal One thing I think is apparent though. We should do absolutely everything, including accepting bids of £0, to move Moore off the wages. He's the last of the crazy deals, and arguably the craziest.

What is his deal?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Apr 2021 13:34

Linden Jones' Tash
Snowflake Royal One thing I think is apparent though. We should do absolutely everything, including accepting bids of £0, to move Moore off the wages. He's the last of the crazy deals, and arguably the craziest.

What is his deal?

He's on north of 30k a week, I think

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 14 Apr 2021 14:06

So nearly £1.5M a year....

108 posts