378 posts
Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by Norfolk Royal » 22 Apr 2021 09:14

Vision
URZZZZ
Zip
We have become very predictable. The biggest disappointment is the lack of movement,
Olise and Ejaria can beat several players and still have no options. The likes of Puscas and Meite have to do more.

Baldock’s movement is top notch. Always looking to get beyond the back line, runs the channels well, moves defenders around

Maintain that he still could have been a decent option for us this season. Not up top by himself as his end product ain’t good enough but as a support striker

His cameo alone put the front four to shame today IMO and that was without him actually doing anything decisive

He can only do it for about 10 minutes though. Short cameos off the bench are about right for him.

Meite was poor last night but I counted at least 4 occasions when his "out to in" run from the right hand side would have seen him get behind the defence. Each time Olise, Ejaria, Rino and Laurent overhit the pass.

In general we've looked a bit "leggy" recently and I keep coming back to the fact we've used the fewest players in the Championship.
That's down to the manager of course to utilise his squad to the fullest (especially with a curtailed pre-season) but I feel with the likes of Olise and Ejaria in particular they've been run into the ground somewhat and it's showing.

That's just the result of the lack of depth in the squad which so many people have identified isn't it?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Apr 2021 09:17

Snowflake Royal Under Paunovich, no one seems to know what the pattern of play is.

I was going to say this is bollox, our style is clearly sit back, invite the press find space and push it up to Joao as quickly as possible and the other attacking midfielders stream in and do something with it.

But then I remembered my thread asking why our players seem to bump into each other lots.

I suspect you may be right to a degree but ESPECIALLY when we don't have Joao (i.e. no plan B). Perhaps having Joao papers over the cracks because lumping it up to him and seeing what happens looks like a plan but when he's not on form/ crowded out/ not playing then that exposes how clueless we actually are.

Eg Luton game: passing it around the back I can generally forgive, as it draws out the opposition and creates space to attack into. Fine.

BUT passing it around cleulessly WHEN ON THE ATTACK makes me :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Who remembers the time last night where there were FIVE passes back and forth between Ejaria and Rinomhota in the Luton half on the break? FIVE. They were ****king standing 6' apart with noone around them. Luton of course regrouped. Eventually I think Rino got fed up and tried to run into a scrum of Luton players or something.

Time and again last night we'd have a great break on and then... erm.... then.... welll.... hang on.... let's just pass it around the edge of the box.... yeah.... to you, to me, to you, to me.... let's give Luton a chance to get 11 in the box.... right... ready? Ok... now let's do f**k all with it.

Remember that break when I think it was FOUR against THREE? Huge attacking opportunity, I was on the edge of my seat for an inevitable goal and.... erm... no.... pass it around.... see what happens.... let Luton get into position.

I mean, I know footy players aren't exactly the brightest sparks but surely they can differentiate between defence and attack? Surely they are aware of that huge big line down the middle of the pitch and can act differently on different sides of that line? Surely they don't just learn one instruction for their own half "pass it around aimlessly" and think that applies to the whole pitch?

In summary, clueless especially without Joao, which makes me wonder, was this season the Pauno show or the Joao show? Joao singlehandedly got us a bunch of points early on out of nothing. Joao singlehandedly squandered a load of points through missed chances/penalties.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2021 09:24

Norfolk Royal
Vision
URZZZZ
Baldock’s movement is top notch. Always looking to get beyond the back line, runs the channels well, moves defenders around

Maintain that he still could have been a decent option for us this season. Not up top by himself as his end product ain’t good enough but as a support striker

His cameo alone put the front four to shame today IMO and that was without him actually doing anything decisive

He can only do it for about 10 minutes though. Short cameos off the bench are about right for him.

Meite was poor last night but I counted at least 4 occasions when his "out to in" run from the right hand side would have seen him get behind the defence. Each time Olise, Ejaria, Rino and Laurent overhit the pass.

In general we've looked a bit "leggy" recently and I keep coming back to the fact we've used the fewest players in the Championship.
That's down to the manager of course to utilise his squad to the fullest (especially with a curtailed pre-season) but I feel with the likes of Olise and Ejaria in particular they've been run into the ground somewhat and it's showing.

That's just the result of the lack of depth in the squad which so many people have identified isn't it?

I think there's plenty of depth personally. We've just stacked up too many injuries and underused our back up players and subs.

You should really be looking at at least one sub around the 60 to 65 minute mark to freshen legs. Another around the 70-75 minute mark and then maybe another around 80.

If things are going really well or really badly, you vary that of course.

I don't like Aluko, but he's been ok this season and should have double the minutes he's had from a few extra starts and a lot of extra minutes.

Baldock, who has been very disappointing, should have had more. Tetek. Etc etc.

It's like after Pauno made those switches early that killed us and we lost he's now terrified of making subs.

Aluko and Baldock last night both at least had a clear intention on what to do. Baldock ran in behind off the should and tried to cross etc
Aluko was looking to cross.

Too many occasions where we had the option to try to hit the byline or cross from deep or have a shot, but instead passed to a CB on the halfway line.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 22 Apr 2021 09:25

URZZZZ Back seven did OK - aren’t conceding many and a clean sheet away from home is always a positive. As usual - would like to see more offensively from Yiadom and Richards but their main task is to defend well and they both did so

Front four were embarrassing - Olise and Puscas in particular, neither got hold of anything. Ejaria worked hard but really doesn’t offer enough and Meite hasn’t been the same since his latest injury (although in his defence he’s pretty much the only one still scoring)

Rafael - 6

Yiadom - 6
Holmes - 8
Moore - 7
Richards - 6

Laurent - 7
Rinomhota - 6

Meite - 4
Olise - 3
Ejaria - 4

Puscas - 3

Subs - 5

Olise too low ;Holmes and Moore too high.Don’t forget Holmes passing never hit a target and he was put on his bottom a couple times last night but Adebayo.He Will however get better and better.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2021 09:27

I actually though Olise was decent.

One of the few players who actually tried to break forward at pace. Tried a fair few through balls. Was looking for things all the time. Admittedly that final product was poor.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Apr 2021 09:37

Reckon it was one of Meite's worst performances for us.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Apr 2021 09:54

Puscas was shite too. Another 2 decent chances totally squandered.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2021 09:55

Pepe the Horseman Reckon it was one of Meite's worst performances for us.

Agreed.

There was a moment lateish in the 2nd half where all meite had to do was control a ball coming at him, lay it off to his team mate, i think it was Ejaria, who would have had a clear shot at goal from 7 yards.

there were no Luton players in camera shot.

Meite chose to swing at it without controlling it and he did an air shot.

Even if he had made connection with it i have no idea what was going through his head because he was stood on the by-line, he didnt have the angle to shoot.

He does score a lot of goals, but my god, he doesn't seem to have an ounce of football intelligence in his body.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 22 Apr 2021 09:59

Bit of time to reflect on that performance, thoughts below -

The game:
- No apparent urgency (strolling to get the ball for throw ins/ corners etc) until 89th minute, frustrating and concerning
- Olise looked so disinterested and was poor like he was against Cardiff, think his celebration vs Derby was very telling
- Puscas/ Meite completely missing
- Rino and Laurent as ever the stand out players for me and imo Rino would be a bigger loss than Olise if he went in summer
- Sums it up when we bring on Aluko and Baldock the urgency levels went up and we looked more threating

Season in general:
- 1 win in 8 is just simply not PO form
- Joao has again proved he is the vital cog to this team - an in-form Joao brings so much to this team, hold up play and linking in the play makers, without him and an out of-form Joao we look lost and simply don't win games of football
- Very disappointing end to a season which promised so much right up until February (yes there is still a chance if mathematically possible)
- No transfers in Jan hurt us, would have given us a boost

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 22 Apr 2021 10:18

Snowflake Royal
Norfolk Royal
Vision

I think there's plenty of depth personally. We've just stacked up too many injuries and underused our back up players and subs.

You should really be looking at at least one sub around the 60 to 65 minute mark to freshen legs. Another around the 70-75 minute mark and then maybe another around 80.

I don't like Aluko, but he's been ok this season and should have double the minutes he's had from a few extra starts and a lot of extra minutes.

It's like after Pauno made those switches early that killed us and we lost he's now terrified of making subs.

Aluko and Baldock last night both at least had a clear intention on what to do. Baldock ran in behind off the should and tried to cross etc

Too many occasions where we had the option to try to hit the byline or cross from deep or have a shot, but instead passed to a CB on the halfway line.

There is depth in terms of numbers yes but that isn't what I meant. It's the dearth of quality or game changers in that depth that is the issue.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 22 Apr 2021 10:23

Norfolk Royal
Snowflake Royal
Norfolk Royal

There is depth in terms of numbers yes but that isn't what I meant. It's the dearth of quality or game changers in that depth that is the issue.

name a championship side that does have a plethora of game-changers just sitting on the bench

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Apr 2021 10:25

Brogue
Norfolk Royal
Snowflake Royal I think there's plenty of depth personally. We've just stacked up too many injuries and underused our back up players and subs.

name a championship side that does have a plethora of game-changers just sitting on the bench

Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 22 Apr 2021 10:27

Pepe the Horseman
Brogue
Norfolk Royal

Exactly.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Apr 2021 10:31

leon
Snowflake Royal
leon So predictable the “bedwetters” were predicting it weeks ago.

So a big fcuk you, to all those who dismissed out of hand posters genuine concerns.

Yeah, well I also said we'd probably miss out ages ago. But I didn't shit the bed at the same time.

Nor did I. As you well know. You just love belittling other posters.

Anyway roll on the summer I hope you can control yourself this time.

Lets all not forget Ian completely pissed his knickers about the new manager we got in the summer, shat the bed and said he was NEVER EVER supporting us or watching a game again

:lol:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Apr 2021 10:32

Westwood52
URZZZZ Back seven did OK - aren’t conceding many and a clean sheet away from home is always a positive. As usual - would like to see more offensively from Yiadom and Richards but their main task is to defend well and they both did so

Front four were embarrassing - Olise and Puscas in particular, neither got hold of anything. Ejaria worked hard but really doesn’t offer enough and Meite hasn’t been the same since his latest injury (although in his defence he’s pretty much the only one still scoring)

Rafael - 6

Yiadom - 6
Holmes - 8
Moore - 7
Richards - 6

Laurent - 7
Rinomhota - 6

Meite - 4
Olise - 3
Ejaria - 4

Puscas - 3

Subs - 5

Olise too low ;Holmes and Moore too high.Don’t forget Holmes passing never hit a target and he was put on his bottom a couple times last night but Adebayo.He Will however get better and better.

Olise lost the ball 4/5 times then just stood still - unacceptable at any age

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2021 10:40

Notts Royal
leon
Scutterbucketz
Yeah I’m sure they’re were but I’ve completely forgotten them. Don’t enjoy watching them on tv playing in an empty stadium. Seems meaningless. This whole season has been that way.

If the euros are played like that then I’ll be as interested.

Yeah same here to an extent. I’d rather be at the game and if I’m not I’d rather wish I was at the game.

An empty stadium with us aimlessly pissing about with the ball has lost its appeal as the season has gone on.

Anyone else think the standard has really decreased since the start of the season?

The players are knackared & in a sense, it was madness to think football could complete a full season at the same level. As interesting as some of the games have been, what’s been achieved by playing out the whole thing on the TV? It’s not the real thing is it

Said a couple of months ago - after the losses to Boro and Millwall, I'd just got bored of the season. Think with the back end of last year and this one rolling into one, just been too much of the same thing. Agree the standard has gone down, as has the excitement levels.

In all honesty, find it hard to get annoyed about missing the play offs. Just happy we've not done 'a Derby', look in ok shape for next season, and hopefully can get back to watching them live.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 22 Apr 2021 10:43

I'm still fuming about last night. What a joke performance. Only player who wanted it was Tom Holmes.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 22 Apr 2021 10:56

Pepe the Horseman
Brogue
Norfolk Royal

Brentford.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Apr 2021 11:13

Quote from Josh Laurent

"These are three cup finals that we have to win. So now we need to make sure it’s all-out, and all-in."
While there's any hope remaining, midfielder Josh Laurent wants the team to battle on...

I think somebody needs to explain the definition of the word `battle`. to the players. he`s living on cloud cuckoo land if he still thinks we are in with a shout.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Apr 2021 12:42

windermereROYAL Quote from Josh Laurent

"These are three cup finals that we have to win. So now we need to make sure it’s all-out, and all-in."
While there's any hope remaining, midfielder Josh Laurent wants the team to battle on...

I think somebody needs to explain the definition of the word `battle`. to the players. he`s living on cloud cuckoo land if he still thinks we are in with a shout.

That's been the most frustrating part of the last two games, the overall lack of effort and desire until the last 5 minutes by which point it's pretty much too late.

378 posts